Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emma06901

Hi,
    Got my results... overall percentile 66. Overall score 109! Pretty average I think, I may kiss bye bye to my 1st choice!
    Does anyone know, if I dont have my UCD course as my first choice, will I still be offered an interview (if my score is good enough?)
    Also, I know in Trinity, students that score over a certain % in the aptitude test qualify for interview. If the interview is passed also, the course places are then allocated to the students that scored higher in the test, is this the case with UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

I am absolutely gutted, my score was a disgrace. I got 88 for written english and 88 for critical thinking, that's 88 in total with a percentile of below 30.

I am shocked that I scored so low. I won't argue with the critical thinking but I refuse to believe that I could be that bad at written english. I am currently doing a FETAC level 5 course in Applied Social Studies, I have received a high Distinction in every single assignment. If my english is so bad, surely I would not be doing so well on the course.

I will be looking into this as I firmly believe there has to be a mistake. Is there anybody else out there in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Capricorn1 wrote: »
    I am absolutely gutted, my score was a disgrace. I got 88 for written english and 88 for critical thinking, that's 88 in total with a percentile of below 30.

I am shocked that I scored so low. I won't argue with the critical thinking but I refuse to believe that I could be that bad at written english. I am currently doing a FETAC level 5 course in Applied Social Studies, I have received a high Distinction in every single assignment. If my english is so bad, surely I would not be doing so well on the course.

I will be looking into this as I firmly believe there has to be a mistake. Is there anybody else out there in the same boat.

I didn't do well either and I am also doing a Social Studies course:( which I am doing well in. MSAP won't enter into any re-scoring of the test, I am afraid to say. I totally blanked for the essays and I know I didn't do my best on the day. As for the critical thinking, I just didn't "get it" Don't beat yourself up about this, it is no reflection of how intelligent you are. What have you applied for? Arts is the only thing that the MSAP has the most bearing on, if you have applied for anything else, your personal statement and interview are about 70% of the assessment process, plus you have done very well in your current course which they will also take into consideration. Try not to take this too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

lindtee wrote: »
    I didn't do well either and I am also doing a Social Studies course:( which I am doing well in. MSAP won't enter into any re-scoring of the test, I am afraid to say. I totally blanked for the essays and I know I didn't do my best on the day. As for the critical thinking, I just didn't "get it" Don't beat yourself up about this, it is no reflection of how intelligent you are. What have you applied for? Arts is the only thing that the MSAP has the most bearing on, if you have applied for anything else, your personal statement and interview are about 70% of the assessment process, plus you have done very well in your current course which they will also take into consideration. Try not to take this too hard.

Thanks Lindtee, I was in a really bad mood when I posted my comment, I've decided to let it go now :o. I've applied for the Social Science course in UCD so hopefully my personal statement is alot better than the MSAP, fingers crossed. Good luck with your chosen course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

Very interesting hearing other MSAP results. I had nearly convinced myself that I would get a very low MSAP score but didn't do as badly as I'd thought. An overall MSAP score of 122, an overall percentile of 91%. Surprised at that to be honest. Arts is my first choice at UCC, Social Science is my second choice and Government is my third choice.

If I understand correctly when it comes to Arts whether you get a place or not is solely down to your MSAP score? Was in touch with the mature students office at UCC and was told that basically I had a place on Arts with the MSAP score I had (unless the UCC cut off score changes absolutely drastically) Pleased with that but wondering if I have a guaranteed place on Arts (my first choice) whether I can accept any course under my first choice? If I now wanted to say accept Government (should I get it!) could I as it's my third choice? Just wondering, very happy with Arts in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

As far as I was told by CAO, if you get an offer from your first choice you won't be given any other offers. But, for example, if you were offered your third choice, then in later rounds you could be offered and accept any other choices above that one - 2nd and 1st choice.

I was also told that some universities can kinda tell you in advance (ie at an interview) if they were going to offer you a place... so if you knew that, you could change the order of the courses to suit. You can change the order of your courses from May 1st via CAO - can't remember the deadline of that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kellibee

wow when you guys say the cut off for arts is 90 do you mean overall percentile? I got 80 overall percentile and my friend got somewhere in the 40's and his guidance councillor said that was fairly average so I'm really confused over this thing!!!:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭MisterMonkey

plavski wrote: »
    Got my results through today too, 141 in English, 141 in critical reasoning which is 99% in the essay, 99% in critical reasoning and hence a 99% final percentile.

I'm interested in the cut-offs though as I'm going for an arts degree in UCC.

i got 99 in critical reasoning aswell but got 147 so there must be a bit of a margin

kellibee wrote: »
    wow when you guys say the cut off for arts is 90 do you mean overall percentile? I got 80 overall percentile and my friend got somewhere in the 40's and his guidance councillor said that was fairly average so I'm really confused over this thing!!!:

No! A overall score of 90:) not percentile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 allyatsea

Hey guys, got my results too couple of days ago, I'm actually surprised they came out this quickly, was expecting to have to wait a lot longer.

Got 106 scaled score in written English (60 percentile)
    120 in critical reasoning (87 percentile)

Got overall scaled score of 113 and overall percentile of 75.

I'm really happy with my result. :) I didn't think I would do so well in the second part as I got a bit frazzled by some of the questions and lost a lot of time at the beginning. I had actually thought the essay part would be better than multiple choice questions.
    Also at the end when they were collecting the papers I was just comparing my result sheet to the people around me and got completely different answers... Got me really quite nervous.

Anyway I'm hoping to get into UCD general Arts next year (DN012). Does anyone know what the cut off score was last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

allyatsea wrote: »
    Hey guys, got my results too couple of days ago, I'm actually surprised they came out this quickly, was expecting to have to wait a lot longer.

Got 106 scaled score in written English (60 percentile)
    120 in critical reasoning (87 percentile)

Got overall scaled score of 113 and overall percentile of 75.

I'm really happy with my result. :) I didn't think I would do so well in the second part as I got a bit frazzled by some of the questions and lost a lot of time at the beginning. I had actually thought the essay part would be better than multiple choice questions.
    Also at the end when they were collecting the papers I was just comparing my result sheet to the people around me and got completely different answers... Got me really quite nervous.

Anyway I'm hoping to get into UCD general Arts next year (DN012). Does anyone know what the cut off score was last year?

I cant remember my score but it wasnt great, the essay was definitely terrible and im finishing first year arts now. I would say youre completely fine because im almost sure you kicked my ass at the MSAP and they let me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Delightful12

HI Guys

Does anyone outthere know how many sat the MSAP nationwide ?
    Any idea of the numbers who sat in Galway and Dublin ?

Wonder what the minimum entry to UCD was last year ?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Has anyone got any interview dates yet? I was told they would be given out around easter?
    I am mostly interested in UCC but any feedback would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 allyatsea

Hey Guys, just wanted to let you know, I got an offer for arts omnibus at UCD! Hurray!

I scraped into the interview process for Social Work, the cut off was 100, and I got 101:eek: I got the place though so all the tears and devastation were for nothing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I scraped into the interview process for Social Work, the cut off was 100, and I got 101:eek: I got the place though so all the tears and devastation were for nothing:)

Congrats!! :)

Larianne wrote: »
    Congrats!! :)

Thanks:) Can't believe it really, what was only a dream (going to UCC) a few years ago is a reality. Still very nervous (and not even sure am I doing the right thing) but I'm sure I'll get over that.

Thanks:) Can't believe it really, what was only a dream (going to UCC) a few years ago is a reality. Still very nervous (and not even sure am I doing the right thing) but I'm sure I'll get over that.

It took me 10 years to have the courage and belief in myself to do the course I wanted. I haven't regretted it yet. It's the best decision I've made in my life! :)

Best of luck and don't worry, we're all here to help each other out in this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackangel66

Hi

I was wondering did you get and interview for your chosen course with those results? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 harry945

Exam Score 1 Score 2 Score 3 Overall
    MSAP 094 096 n/a 095

hi all, the above score was mailed to me, could someone please explain the result of the above or the percentitile, thanking you in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Got an e-mail from MSAP early this morning. I got an overall score of 97, with a percentile score of 33, can anyone tell me if this means I still have a chance?

roisin24 wrote: »
    Got an e-mail from MSAP early this morning. I got an overall score of 97, with a percentile score of 33, can anyone tell me if this means I still have a chance?

It depends on the course that you applied for. I'm not sure of the details but I think the cut off score for my course (BSW) was 100. They also take into consideration your personal statement, other relevant experience/education and interview in some courses. hopefully someone might know more about exact cut offs. (I think I heard that arts was 90 last year but that might not be true)
    Good luck in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 20 angie07

I did fairly bad i think can anyone tell me what percentage this is?

Section 1 Scale 97 Percentile 34
    Section 2 Scale 34 Percentile below 30
    Overall Score: 86

How bad it that:eek:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackangel66

I think it would depend on the course you applied for, I just rang UCD and they said there is no cut off point for Psychology, they take everything into account including personal statement etc. They also mentioned there are no interviews for psychology, your best bet is to ring the admissions office for whatever university you applied for and they will give you a better idea. I have an interview for DCU on the 11th, has anyone else been called for interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maktub

roisin24 wrote: »

Hi the intial cut-off point for entry into UCC Arts last year was 90,however the final cut off point was actually 80.
    So you should have no problem in getting a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've got offers from Trinity, DCU, NCI etc., but the place I want to go is UCD. When do they let you know if you have a place or not? Do you have to wait until June / July when CAO offers come out? How come they're the only college who haven't let me know yet :( My first 3 choices on the CAO are UCD courses and would love to know if I got in and if so, to what course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sineadoc

Wow Jackass! you've got offers already? That's good! Congratulations!
    Anyway from what I see on the "Applicaton on the ground of Mature years" booklet (page 44, Important dates for mature student) it says that UCD will issue the first round of offers in the first week of July (as you said yourself), which is the same like UCC, from what I've understood so far. So apparentely yes you have to wait... I wouldn't worry anyway; if that's the date when they send out the offers, that's why you haven't been contacted yet.
    Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I got 100% in the written not so well in the other ,got over all 97% I know only two other people got 100% so am well pleased.Ill be surprised if I dont get a place ,not big headed ,was actually so surprised I kept sending emails to see if they made a mistake and they assured me they hadnt .I thought it was difficult .I came down points with the multiple choice ,I didnt understand half the questions ,guessed most of the answers and was finished way before time .I really should have gone over it ,but my head was fried by then.Finished college the first time looong time ago.My brains been on holiday !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

harry945 wrote: »
    Exam Score 1 Score 2 Score 3 Overall
    MSAP 094 096 n/a 095

hi all, the above score was mailed to me, could someone please explain the result of the above or the percentitile, thanking you in advance
    The precentile should be in the doc thats added to the mail .We cant work out the percentile for you ,we are only the same as you .You should email them and ask ,thats their job.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've got offers from Trinity, DCU, NCI etc., but the place I want to go is UCD. When do they let you know if you have a place or not? Do you have to wait until June / July when CAO offers come out? How come they're the only college who haven't let me know yet :( My first 3 choices on the CAO are UCD courses and would love to know if I got in and if so, to what course.

I dunno if its June or July you have to wait till but I remember I got offered a place in UCD waaay after I had received and accepted the offer from TCD. I do think it's later with UCD.

Well done on all your offers!! That's brilliant.

Advertisement