Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open in Limerick on Good Friday

Options
  • 25-03-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

A group of Limerick publicans have been successful in their bid to sell alcohol on Good Friday.

They went to court to try and get an exemption from the law on the grounds that a Magners League rugby match at Thomond Park between Munster and Leinster was a 'special event'.

They will now be able to sell drink between the hours of 6pm and 11.30pm tomorrow week, bringing in millions in revenue.

The match kicks off at 8.05pm that evening.

Good news for Limerick publicans and match goers....the beginning of the end for that silly law I wonder?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Well fair dos to the lads in Limerick getting the pubs open next Friday

Could this be the beginning of the end for this pointless rule ??

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-allows-limerick-pubs-to-open-on-good-friday-451313.html

Good news for Limerick publicans and match goers....the beginning of the end for that silly law I wonder?

Snap !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What does it say for irish people that this has been one of the most publicised issues of the year?

Sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

orourkeda wrote: »
    What does it say for irish people that this has been one of the most publicised issues of the year?

Sad

Cause it's a little piece of history.....

Fair dos for what?

Irish people should get so worked up over real and important things

• Advertisement

Sad

It says that we don't want to be restricted in an open society by a law completely influenced by the catholic church (who ain't that trustworthy anyway) ;)

Sad

It wouldnt matter but for the rugby match. Very few people have Setanta so they need to go to the pubs to watch the game.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

It's now going to be a Great Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sad

The overturn of any old law (even just for a few hours) would be big news!

t|nt|n wrote: »
    It says that we don't want to be restricted in an open society by a law completely influenced by the catholic church (who ain't that trustworthy anyway) ;)

Do you really think people railed against this because the catholic church arent trustworthy?

Stop talking horseplop

• Advertisement

Do you really think people railed against this because the catholic church arent trustworthy?

Stop talking horseplop

lol... I didn't even say that ! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Good.

The Catholic church can shove their stupid traditions up their holes

It wouldnt matter but for the rugby match. Very few people have Setanta so they need to go to the pubs to watch the game.

Nothing to do with setanta.

Its the fact that booze is the most important thing to most people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sad

I don't think thats the case and besides the story is less about alcohol per se and more to do with the the last vestiges of "Catholic Ireland" and the rules of the church on a secular state withering away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Sad

it says that we're a 'sports-mad' nation, i.e. barstoolers

phasers wrote: »
    Good.

The Catholic church can shove their stupid traditions up their holes

Are we going to look for pubs to open on christmas day? Then why not.

If the catholic church traditions mean so little. Or will there be no rugby matches in Limerick that day

parasite wrote: »
    it says that we're a 'sports-mad' nation, i.e. barstoolers

Who cant go one day without talking b*llox in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hope so!
    t|nt|n wrote: »
    It says that we don't want to be restricted in an open society by a law completely influenced by the catholic church (who ain't that trustworthy anyway)

You can't argue with that

If the catholic church traditions mean so little. Or will there be no rugby matches in Limerick that day

There is a precedent there now so I wouldn't be surprised to see the law being dropped or at least challenged for both days

Fine Gael should pick this up as an election promise... landslide !!! :D

Nothing to do with setanta.

Of course it is. Most (if not all) people I know have sky sports. None have Setanta. When this game comes around we head to the pub to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd have zero issues with businesses being allowed open on Christmas Day if they wish.

That was what was at the heart of this. Choice. Businesses should be free to open on Bank Holidays, Christmas, Easter Sunday or whatever day they feel like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

No reason why not. The pubs should be given the choice of when they want to be open, not have their business terms dictated to by a law based on a religious practice.

Catholic traditions should mean jack **** when it comes to the law.

I don't think thats the case and besides the story is less about alcohol per se and more to do with the the last vestiges of "Catholic Ireland" and the rules of the church on a secular state withering away.

Its booze booze booze.

Like I said earlier if its all about catholic church traditions then I'll expect to see a campaign to see pubs open on christmas day in Limerick.

Otherwise this overturning is simply to satisfy dipso rugby fans and greedy publicans.

Its booze booze booze.

Like I said earlier if its all about catholic church traditions then I'll expect to see a campaign to see pubs open on christmas day in Limerick.

Otherwise this overturning is simply to satisfy dipso rugby fans and greedy publicans.

You're really missing the point.

You're really missing the point.

What is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What is the point?

Give me one good reason why the pubs should be forced to close on Friday the 2nd of April 2010?

What is the point?

It's been pointed out to you by several posters. That a secular state's laws shouldn't be set by religious ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Fair play that this rule looks to be on it's way out and this decision will be the catalyst , I don't care if the pubs are open / closed on Good Friday , I believe that should be left to the individual to choose , Catholics should stay away , but I guess the pubs will be full , infact it has been a shrewd move by the publicans of Limerick , there will now be an influx of people to the city , not only for the match but for the fact that a pint can be had. It will be interesting to see if the hotel bookings demand jumps too.

A nation of transient drinkers , can't be all bad:D. Next year Galway , and after that Dublin , move it around year by year , turn it in to an annual festival.

The real point is that the irish nation are a pack of spunkers who cant get through one match without the need for alcohol.

Once all other religions are treated the same when new laws are set then fair enough but considering muslims threaten to murder people for drawing cartoons I doubt people will speak about Islam in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Will saying "I'm going to the pub and drinking alcohol and maybe eating a beef burger on Good Friday" land you in trouble with the blasphemy laws?:confused:

Seriously, this is great news. A small bit of freedom from religion at last. People talk of the 800 years of suffering under the British, we have had 1200 years of suffering under the RC church.

Advertisement