Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open in Limerick on Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Everybody close to limerick will head there for the night. Big p1ss up, i'd nearly go myself but it's Limerick.

Will we see big league of Ireland matches and other events being scheduled for good friday in Dublin so hoteliers and publicans can open?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

orourkeda wrote: »
    Are we going to look for pubs to open on christmas day? Then why not.

If the catholic church traditions mean so little. Or will there be no rugby matches in Limerick that day
    Why not open them on Christmas Day? Don't go if you don't want to. I'd say the main problem would be getting staff in.

Anyway, there are a lot of pubs that do open on Christmas day for their regulars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Spud83 wrote: »
    Give me one good reason why the pubs should be forced to close on Friday the 2nd of April 2010?

They're not being forced to close.

They're being forced to open.

Therein lies the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

phasers wrote: »
    Why not open them on Christmas Day? Don't go if you don't want to. I'd say the main problem would be getting staff in.

Anyway, there are a lot of pubs that do open on Christmas day for their regulars.

Not too many open on Christmas day now. I could have named 10 - 15 that did a few years ago. Only know of 4 or 5 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

phasers wrote: »
    Good.

The Catholic church can shove their stupid traditions up their holes

Instead of shoving them up little kiddies'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The real point is that the irish nation are a pack of spunkers who cant get through one match without the need for alcohol.

The real point is we shouldn't have to because somebody in a funny hat, living in a different country decided so, X amount of years ago.
    Once all other religions are treated the same when new laws are set then fair enough but considering muslims threaten to murder people for drawing cartoons I doubt people will speak about Islam in the same way.

Really not sure what you are getting at here. No religion should have any say in a law in this country.

They're not being forced to close.

They're being forced to open.

Therein lies the difference

Eh what? I really don't think thats the case. They are being given the choice now. I can't see the Gardai showing up at pub and dragging the staff in there to work.

Everybody close to limerick will head there for the night. Big p1ss up, i'd nearly go myself but it's Limerick.

Will we see big league of Ireland matches and other events being scheduled for good friday in Dublin so hoteliers and publicans can open?

Pubs wont open on good friday for LOI matches. Thats the whole point. There wouldnt be the same demand. Perhaps for bigger events they would.

Youve summed up the whole thing yourself pretty well.

It's all about the gargle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

<---- Guess whos lives in Limerick!

I reckon it's going to be chaotic and messy, the pubs will be completely wedged. Might go out just for the novelty factor.

The real point is we shouldn't have to because somebody in a funny hat, living in a different country decided so, X amount of years ago.

Really not sure what you are getting at here. No religion should have any say in a law in this country.

Thats my point. If any other religion looks for laws to be changed to suit their religious beliefs I just hope that irish people are as strident in their opposition as they are about what they perceive as catholic anti drink laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Good news! One county ready to say **** you to religious law. We'll all go to our local to celebrate and orourkeda you can write on AH how we're a bunch of no good drunken louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

What does it say for irish people that this has been one of the most publicised issues of the year?

Sad

Im proud of our drinking culture. Having been abroad Ive come to the conclusion other cultures should loosen up and get with the programme.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    It says that we don't want to be restricted in an open society by a law completely influenced by the catholic church (who ain't that trustworthy anyway) ;)

Influenced my arse. Maybe in the past but today its a government way of taking a stand against alcohol abuse (****). Australia is hardly a heavily religion influenced country yet here most bars are shut on Good Friday (at night at least, some open in the afternoon)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't think thats the case and besides the story is less about alcohol per se and more to do with the the last vestiges of "Catholic Ireland" and the rules of the church on a secular state withering away.

Pissed by mid-day, ah progress!

I think Family Fuy were on the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYY180CVKY

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Why cant rugby fans get through one match without the pub being open? whats the big deal cant they not get together with someone that has setanta stock up on the alcohol on thursday if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Stupid arcane law gets overturned... well it's about frigging time. Honestly, how backward are we, a law that prevents pubs from opening on Good Friday? Seriously, I'd rather have pubs close on a day of remembrance for victims of clerical abuse than for a religious feast day, I think the former makes a lot more sense than the latter. Besides, Jesus is dead stop feeling guilty and have a pint.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can of worms here. Will this apply to the rest of the country? And if not, why not? Greedy Publicans not in Limerick will surely feel aggreived?

Why cant rugby fans get through one match without the pub being open? whats the big deal cant they not get together with someone that has setanta stock up on the alcohol on thursday if they so wish.

So you would prefer the couple of thousand people travelling to Limerick for the match to be drinking in the streets?

Eh what? I really don't think thats the case. They are being given the choice now. I can't see the Gardai showing up at pub and dragging the staff in there to work.

They wouldnt have opened only for the pressure applied by local publicans. I very much doubt this was inspired by anti religious fervour. Try financial. I've no real problem with that. It's just that people twist it into something that it isnt when they try to blame things on the catholic church or something else.

So you would prefer the couple of thousand people travelling to Limerick for the match to be drinking in the streets?

They'll be doing that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What about the pubs though? Match days would more than likely be among the most profitable days for pubs in Limerick. Why should they suffer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

keano_afc wrote: »
    Can of worms here. Will this apply to the rest of the country? And if not, why not? Greedy Publicans not in Limerick will surely feel aggreived?

That was exactly what I was about to ask? Does this mean that Limerick people are treated different as they are:
    a) poorer cos they cant afford Setanta
    b) better fans cos they want to see the game
    c) bigger alco's cos they cant go a day without booze

(not having a dig at Limerick btw ... I dont have Setanta, cant afford it and couldnt be bothered with it anyway ... and I have no interest in the rugby)

It should be a nation wide implementation imho

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

No.You seem to think that in order to enjoy the match you need to have a few.

They wouldnt have opened only for the pressure applied by local publicans. I very much doubt this was inspired by anti religious fervour. Try financial. I've no real problem with that. It's just that people twist it into something that it isnt when they try to blame things on the catholic church or something else.

The law was based on a Catholic belief. Yes or No?

Is is it right to have laws based on religious beliefs? Yes or No?

Yes is was only overturned because of local publicans, but that does not mean every pub in Limerick is being forced to open. The majority will, there will probably be a minority who have strong catholic beliefs that won't. The point is they have a choice, which is the correct thing.

Also the law hasn't been over turned or changed. There was always scope in the law to allow pubs to open for special occasions. I believe the court has decided this match falls under that category.

Now this is only temporary so there are still two problems.

1) this is only happening in Limerick

and

2) currently the law will still be in place next year.

The law should be abolished completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Thats my point. If any other religion looks for laws to be changed to suit their religious beliefs I just hope that irish people are as strident in their opposition as they are about what they perceive as catholic anti drink laws.

What other religion could look for laws to be changed? Only religion that has any sway in this country is the RC church. We are not suddenly going to become a Muslim or Jewish state, are we?

I'm an Athiest, I like to choose when and where I have a drink. If someone is Chatolic they can choose to stay away on Good Friday and not drink.

Why does it bother them so much that pubs are open? McDonalds will be open on Good Friday but there is no outcry that they are serving meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    That was exactly what I was about to ask? Does this mean that Limerick people are treated different as they are:
    a) poorer cos they cant afford Setanta
    b) better fans cos they want to see the game
    c) bigger alco's cos they cant go a day without booze

(not having a dig at Limerick btw ... I dont have Setanta, cant afford it and couldnt be bothered with it anyway ... and I have no interest in the rugby)

It should be a nation wide implementation imho

Maybe it's because of this...;)

What about the pubs though? Match days would more than likely be among the most profitable days for pubs in Limerick. Why should they suffer?

Theres the real issue.

Now we've established that this was motivated completely by money and nothing else.

No.You seem to think that in order to enjoy the match you need to have a few.

Even if thats true, and I do need a few to enjoy the match. Should that freedom be taken away from me, because of what somebody in a funny hat, in a different country said a couple of 100 years ago.

Twin-go wrote: »
    What other religion could look for laws to be changed? Only religion that has any sway in this country is the RC church. We are not suddenly going to become a Muslim or Jewish state, are we?

I'm an Athiest, I like to choose when and where I have a drink. If someone is Chatolic they can choose to stay away on Good Friday and not drink.

Why does it bother them so much that pubs are open? McDonalds will be open on Good Friday but there is no outcry that they are serving meet.

For arguments sake say a religious group (not necessarily catholic) called for McDonalds to be closed on good friday do you really believe that there'd be the same level of reaction to the pubs being closed for a rugby match.

Theres the real issue.

Now we've established that this was motivated completely by money and nothing else.

Just because you deem the motivation to be wrong doesn't mean the outcome is wrong.

Also how you could see pumping a load of money into the local economy a bad thing I don't know.

• Advertisement

Even if thats true, and I do need a few to enjoy the match. Should that freedom be taken away from me, because of what somebody in a funny hat, in a different country said a couple of 100 years ago.

Why do you need a few to enjoy the match.

Thats your problem. Not the popes

Advertisement