Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open in Limerick on Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Yeah great burn down all those dirty scumbag headshops because someone died taking magic mushrooms 5 or 6 years ago while they were pissed, but we must have our precious drink, to get s***faced as often as possible.
    Drink, drink f****n' drink is responsible for thousands of deaths in this country every year, thousands of physical injury incidents and family abuse and neglect situations. But of course alcohol is a beverage right, part of the wonderful irish tradition.
    Bunch of f***** hypocrites.

Are you a drug abuser?

And yes, I do know alcohol is a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

orourkeda wrote: »
    They're not being forced to close.

They're being forced to open.

Therein lies the difference

that's the stupidest post I've seen on here in quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

I am actually surprised that the good friday ban was'nt rescinded years ago considering all the publican td's lobbied to get off license sales closed at 10 pm to get people into the pubs .God forbid an adult might fancy popping to the offie at 10-15 pm for a bottle of wine after getting the kids to bed etc etc.

Made the mistake in popping into the local spar last week after football, 10-05 pm , fancied couple of cans .Was just choosing what to get when the manager came down and spoke to me as if I had entered the shop with a balaclava on and a shotgun in my hand .!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dave! wrote: »
    And what if I want to drink in a pub?

Sorry you'll need to get the law changed

that's the stupidest post I've seen on here in quite a while

In what sense.

I'm sure you realise that in the normal course of events that these very same pubs would not be open on good friday. With it being the law and all that and its restricted to limerick where theres a high profile match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

In what sense.

I'm sure you realise that in the normal course of events that these very same pubs would not be open on good friday. With it being the law and all that and its restricted to limerick where theres a high profile match.

In the sense that they're not being forced to open, they're being given the option to open.

Risteard wrote: »
    In the sense that they're not being forced to open, they're being given the option to open.

would they be opening if there was no pressure applied by publicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Great news for alcoholics and rugby alcoholics in particular.

Hi, I'm a rugby fan and I'm an alcoholic or maybe rugby is so boring they need alcohol to watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm suprised there's been no official reaction from the god botherers on this one.
    Maybe their afraid to come out of their box at the minute.

I say now is the time to move on all these religious interferences in secular life.
    We should start a campaign to get rid of the smell the fart acting during the bongs before the six one news.

Well done that judge.

How do you know every pub is going to be opened? And no because they wouldn't have the option of opening their own business on the day due to an archaic law.

Now they can if they want or if they want to keep their pub closed and go to mass and spend the day in reflection, then they can do that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

i think this is a shame. Pubs being closed for 2 days a year leads people to different things than they usually would. Also pub staff actually know well in advance that they have a day off and can plan things with their family. It was a nice tradition, no matter where it started

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I'm suprised there's been no official reaction from the god botherers on this one.
    Maybe their afraid to come out of their box at the minute.

I say now is the time to move on all these religious interferences in secular life.
    We should start a campaign to get rid of the smell the fart acting during the bongs before the six one news.

Well done that judge.

It should be a normal working day for non religious people, it would keep everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Ammmm, The publicans own the pubs:confused::confused::confused:

Whats your point here?

How do you know every pub is going to be opened? And no because they wouldn't have the option of opening their own business on the day due to an archaic law.

Now they can if they want or if they want to keep their pub closed and go to mass and spend the day in reflection, then they can do that too.

The good publicans wont be opening their pubs purely to provide the good citizens of Limerick a choice. Its 100% financially motivated. If people are so concerned about their right to choose why are there so many pubs going out of business.

dub_skav wrote: »
    i think this is a shame. Pubs being closed for 2 days a year leads people to different things than they usually would. Also pub staff actually know well in advance that they have a day off and can plan things with their family. It was a nice tradition, no matter where it started

They can book time off if they wish!

Twin-go wrote: »
    Ammmm, The publicans own the pubs:confused::confused::confused:

Whats your point here?

The publicans forced a law change.

Who knows, maybe the judge noticed a rise in stabbings and firearm offenses when the people in Limerick couldn't access alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The good publicans wont be opening their pubs purely to provide the good citizens of Limerick a choice. Its 100% financially motivated. If people are so concerned about their right to choose why are there so many pubs going out of business.

So what if it is financially motivated. Isn't that what every business is?

Anyone opposed to drinking alcohol on Good Friday simply does not need to go to a pub.

Because more people are choosing not to go to the pub.

I take back my last comment, but the need for alcohol is just sad. If rugby was so good then why do they need alcohol, it is all just about greed from the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Once again who cares about the motivation. Yes the motivation is flawed. No one is dying the fact that the publicans want to open for financial reasons. They are hardly gonna want to open if it means them losing money on the day.

The point is the outcome is correct (not fully correct), regardless of the motivation.

Min wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe the judge noticed a rise in stabbings and firearm offenses when the people in Limerick couldn't access alcohol.

People dont commit crime when they're drunk in Limerick do they?

The publicans forced a law change.

Because they wanted to open, which in turn give the people of Limerick the choice to go to the pub IF the wish. It's a Win win all round.

Can you point out anybody that will be negitivly affected by this move?

I take back my last comment, but the need for alcohol is just sad. If rugby was so good then why do they need alcohol, it is all just about greed from the pubs.

Some people will be travelling large distances for the game, some will be staying over night. It's nice now that they have something to do that night, somewhere they can go and join up with fellow supporters, and talk about the game. It's not about going to the pub to watch the game, its to accommodate the 1000's of people travelling to the game.

If it was about watching the game, then it would have effected the entire country.

Define 'good.' So what if it's financially motivated? Of course it is, they're hardly opening for the good of their health. A person running a private business should have the option of maximising his/her profits.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Some people will be travelling large distances for the game, some will be staying over night. It's nice now that they have something to do that night, somewhere they can go and join up with fellow supporters, and talk about the game. It's not about going to the pub to watch the game, its to accommodate the 1000's of people travelling to the game.

If it was about watching the game, then it would have effected the entire country.

Some people don't drink alcohol and don't need alcohol for that, why do others need it?
    It might have opened their eyes that one can enjoy themselves without alcohol.

Some people don't drink alcohol and don't need alcohol for that, why do others need it?

And where would these people meet up after the game if the pubs were closed?

And where would these people meet up after the game if the pubs were closed?

Why do they have to meet up after the game....to get drunk?

Its not about a need. Why should the people that want to do it have that choice taken away?

Also please suggest one place in Limerick that supporters could go to talk about the game afterwards?

• Advertisement

Spud83 wrote: »
    Once again who cares about the motivation. Yes the motivation is flawed. No is dying the fact that the publicans won't to open for financial reasons. The hardly gonna want to open if it means them losing money on the day.

The point is the outcome is correct (not fully correct), regardless of the motivation.

I have no problem with any pub opening on good friday. I just think that using it as a stick to church bash as some people have done is somewhat annoying. Just get the law overturned if you want and be done with it

Advertisement