Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open in Limerick on Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Personally i think its pathetic that its so ingrained on us as a nation that YOU HAVE TO GET SMASHED TO ENJOY YOURSELF!!! that we cant go one ****ing day without drink now.
    It was pathetic enough on a normal good friday when youd see people stocking up with crates of beer on a the Thursday like they were preparing for a ****ing nuclear winter.

And this ****e from the publicans

"You couldn't have 30,000 people going around the streets on Good Friday and no place to go to,"

Yeah, heaven forbid they go home to their families. Just goes to show what a ridiculous gin soaked booze-ruled nation of ****ing sheep this country is. Oh and to all the people saying "i dont have to abide by the churches rules man! i drink when i want!!", i guess you wouldnt mind if good fridays status as a public holiday was revoked by the church and you had to go to work like any other Friday, right? Hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Personally i think its pathetic that its so ingrained on us as a nation that YOU HAVE TO GET SMASHED TO ENJOY YOURSELF!!! that we cant go one ****ing day without drink now.
    It was pathetic enough on a normal good friday when youd see people stocking up with crates of beer on a the Thursday like they were preparing for a ****ing nuclear winter.

And this ****e from the publicans

Yeah, heaven forbid they go home to their families. Just goes to show what a ridiculous gin soaked booze-ruled nation of ****ing sheep this country is. Oh and to all the people saying "i dont have to abide by the churches rules man! i drink when i want!!", i guess you wouldnt mind if good fridays status as a public holiday was revoked by the church and you had to go to work like any other Friday, right? Hypocrites.

Hang on a second:
    1. Good Friday is NOT a Public Holiday, Bank Holiday or any other type of Holiday in this country
    2. Since when do the "church" have the right to revoke any national holidays?

For most its not that they have to go out and get "smashed". But, they can do so if they wish. It's called democracy, free will. Do you not trust yourself enough to make up your own mind?
    Just because human Jesus died 2000ish years ago we can't drink on Good Friday. It's time we grew up as a nation, grew up with our atitudes on alcohol.
    Yes we drink too much, yes we have a problem. Its not going to be fixed by forcing pubs to close their doors twice a year (ironicly one of those days is probably the biggest drinking day of the year).

Publicans should be allowed to open whenever the want and 1 church should not be dictating the laws of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Twin-go wrote: »
    Hang on a second:
    1. Good Friday is NOT a Public Holiday, Bank Holiday or any other type of Holiday in this country

A lot of people forget this. I (like most people I assume?) am being forced to take this day off out of my annual leave. I'd just as soon come in , get paid and keep the holiday for a day of MY choosing..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Two faced shower of c**ts our government are...they choose to ignore a law because it's gonna bring in some cash for them this year, yet every other year they give you a big "f**k you" because they dont see a need.

If any of them are reading this while slacking in their jobs, here's something to take note of: Not everyone in Ireland is catholic or religious, we dont give a flying f**k about your stupid law (including a large proportion of catholics too) so change it, make it permanent and keep raking in the cash that people usually spend on a friday anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mochara627

Couldn't care less about the whole thing. It's one of the many stupid laws left over from a time when people gave a ****e about the catholic church and all of them should be scrapped or ignored anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

orourkeda wrote: »
    The publicans forced a law change.

The publicans didn't force any law change, they convinced a judge to apply the current law properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Do you drink 363 days of the year? Sounds like you have a drink problem.
    i guess you wouldnt mind if good fridays status as a public holiday was revoked by the church and you had to go to work like any other Friday, right? Hypocrites.

Are you drunk now?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

i wonder will the limerick publicans pay there staff double time for working on good friday ,i wont work good friday myself for normal rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Hey, how about not claiming this as some great moral victory.

Because, you know...it's not. Only when the same people lobby for headshops to remain open will I believe this isn't drunkards whinging because they can't get a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Good news.

The Gardai are appealing to the high court via the attorney general to stop the pubs opening in Limerick.
    The reason being a rugby match is not a special event.

• Advertisement

AN Garda Síochána are to seek the advice of the Attorney General about a possible High Court appeal against the decision to allow Limerick city pubs open on Good Friday.

Looks bad for the pubs and drinkers
    A previous ruling stated that "special" meant uncommon or singular.

Munster and Leinster playing each other is not uncommon or a singular event as they will do this again and again and again and again and again till eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought the judge said he based his decision on the fact the pubs inside the ground can serve around the game and that it was crazy to think that other pubs in the couldn't do the same. He also based it on health and safety issues of having that many people on the street at the same time seemed crazy as well.

The gardai are just being ****in lazy and wanted to have a lazy good friday where everyone sat at home and caused no trouble. They already put the objections forward in the first case and they were obviously ignored.

Still though if they do succeed it might make the government turn around and actually get rid of the law all together. Which would be the best outcome in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

antod wrote: »
    i wonder will the limerick publicans pay there staff double time for working on good friday ,i wont work good friday myself for normal rate.
    You are saying do not work a normal (non-public holiday) friday for the normal rate? how does that work? I'd love to be in your job, demanding double pay on st bridgids day, st peters day etc, feck it I might ask for triple pay on my birthday and double on the fridays before the anniversaries of deaths of family & friends- at least those people actually existed.

If people want the day off they apply for it, just like any other friday, I hate the fact I am forced to take it off. I am usually forced to take 4-5 days off for his birthday too, ridiculous.

Spud83 wrote: »
    I thought the judge said he based his decision on the fact the pubs inside the ground can serve around the game and that it was crazy to think that other pubs in the couldn't do the same. He also based it on health and safety issues of having that many people on the street at the same time seemed crazy as well.

The gardai are just being ****in lazy and wanted to have a lazy good friday where everyone sat at home and caused no trouble. They already put the objections forward in the first case and they were obviously ignored.

Still though if they do succeed it might make the government turn around and actually get rid of the law all together. Which would be the best outcome in fairness.

The judge looks to be wrong in why he granted the exemption. The judge focused more on drink rather than the event.
    He could only grant the exemption if it was a special event and it does not meet that criteria from a past ruling.

rubadub wrote: »
    You are saying do not work a normal (non-public holiday) friday for the normal rate? how does that work? I'd love to be in your job, demanding double pay on st bridgids day, st peters day etc, feck it I might ask for triple pay on my birthday and double on the fridays before the anniversaries of deaths of family & friends- at least those people actually existed.

If people want the day off they apply for it, just like any other friday, I hate the fact I am forced to take it off. I am usually forced to take 4-5 days off for his birthday too, ridiculous.

I think you will find those other people did exist too....

Min wrote: »
    I think you will find those other people did exist too....
    I was talking about fridays, in regards to good friday in particular, many people believe he , i.e. jesus, did not exist, even many clergymen doubt his existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The judge looks to be wrong in why he granted the exemption. The judge focused more on drink rather than the event.
    He could only grant the exemption if it was a special event and it does not meet that criteria from a past ruling.

True, and maybe the Gardai will actually take it to the high court. However what I'm saying is if they do and are successful then the pressure will move away from the courts and be targeted towards the government (where it should be anyway), to have the law removed all together.

There could be an argument of precedent though. They have changed these ridiculous religion based laws for pubs before just for matches.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Broad-welcome-for-Good-Friday.6180066.jp
    Solicitor Gearoid McGann, for the publicans, had argued that the court previously granted two similar applications in 2007 for Munster's home matches against Clermont Auvergne and Llanelli Scarlets in the Heineken Cup.

On each occasion pubs in the city and in surrounding areas were allowed to open early as the matches were played at lunchtime on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Good Friday will be like another St Patrick's Day if and when this is ever lifted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I dunno what the big deal is, theres going to be 26000 in the stadium and many more thousands of locals watching it in the pubs because they cant see it at home, so why not let them watch it and enjoy themselves in the process? and make a few million for the local economy in the process..in this recessionary time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Limerick is going to be full of drinkers from all over the country I predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i don't know about this...i always enjoyed good friday, now it;s the same as any other day. (ie house parties everywhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Everybody close to limerick will head there for the night. Big p1ss up, i'd nearly go myself but it's Limerick.

I was waiting for some idiot to come out with some pathetic bull**** like that.....looks like you beat the idiot to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

rubadub wrote: »
    I was talking about fridays, in regards to good friday in particular, many people believe he , i.e. jesus, did not exist, even many clergymen doubt his existence.

I think most historians will agree jebus existed, its the being superman part some have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

Was talking to someone in Ennis who reckons an awful lot of people there will go to Limerick for the day, so you could imagine that an awful lot of people from neighbouring towns will also head there. Add in the fact that the pubs will be open from 6.30pm to 11.30pm and then a number of nightclubs are opening from 12am Saturday morning for the first time. A major session is planned here could be up to 100,000 in the City Center Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

patmac wrote: »
    a number of nightclubs are opening from 12am Saturday morning for the first time

This actually always made me laugh....the clubs couldn't open on Thursday-into-Friday, but because the pubs weren't open, they lost the Friday-into-Saturday too.

Not that I'm much of a fan of clubs (most of them are poor, overpriced, with ****e music and full of hammered 20-year-olds and are not enjoyable) but it always struck me as unfair that they got hit on the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I predict next year there will be "Special Events" on all over the country on good friday. The courts will be busy in the run up to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The pubs are open for the rugby, no need to stock up with a months worth of beer from tescos. Now does any one know of a cheap b&b for the night.

But seriously, can any one see a new trend starting from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Limerick? Pah, that'll never catch on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

actually Limerick is supposed to have the cheapest hotels between dublin, cork galway and waterford so im sure your not the only person thinking about coming down here, can u imagine, tens of thousands come down to Limerick for a unique secession..only to realise pubs close at 11:30 :o

Advertisement