Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PATIO BRICK JOINTS

• 25-03-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any product that can be used to permanently seal the joints of patio bricks to stop weeds coming up. I have tried brushing the speciel sand into them but to no avail.

I am looking for a product that I can use to permanently seal these joints.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I'm not sure of a product to do this specifically, but could you use a sealant, or expanding foam in the joints. then cut it back, and then brush mortar into the joints on top of the sealant/ foam??
    just an idea................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

TBH I have been asking the same question years. I seriously dont believe there is anything. Def dont use expanding foam you will never get it off the rock.

The problem i think is two fold.

One if you seal the joints permanantly dust forms in them and then the birds flying over drop seeds.

The other is just roots making there way up

I get a strong non staining weed killer. Anything clear generally and wash my driveway at the start of every spring. Then I use one of those v shapped knived to scrape the weeds out.

This has ment little work the last few years

I reckon weeds will grow anywhere. An old country road up my way has managed to let weeds through. Perhaps its the petrol from cars that stops this on main roads. Although I would not rec this.

Have you tried asking this question in gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

I use Rompox when doing patios, I find it very good for new ones but never used it in a retrofit situation

http://www.mcmonaglestone.ie/_fileupload/Image/Easy.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make a mix of dishwasher salt or rocksalt and sand and brush this into the joint, this will stop anything growing there for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Make a mix of dishwasher salt or rocksalt and sand and brush this into the joint, this will stop anything growing there for a long time.

I would not have salt anywhere near where I store a car.... Just my feelings on that one but it sounds like a good solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatcyMcl

Because the bricks and ground underneath will constantly keep expanding and contracting due to temperature changes and rain fall, it is impossible to seal them forever.

Use a COMPLETE VEGETATION KILLER in a garden sprayer once a year on the cracks
    favicon.ico PR: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico L: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico LD: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL][URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Rank: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Traffic: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Price: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico C: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]
    [IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would not have salt anywhere near where I store a car.... Just my feelings on that one but it sounds like a good solution
    It makes no difference to your car, the salt stays in the joint line and doesn't magically jump out onto the exposed metal of your car:D
    Probably worse driving around in the snow and ice early this year, now that was salt that would have damaged your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 obwalsh

what about sand and cement dry

Advertisement