Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which blender?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I've been told tescos own brand steamers and blenders are very good, probably cheap enough too might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Good stuff thanks Jemmy forgot about looking in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I would go with Kenwood as you can get replacement parts- bowls, lids, blades etc

lucylu wrote: »
    I would go with Kenwood as you can get replacement parts- bowls, lids, blades etc

Was kind of leaning towards to Kenwoods aswell beacuse I've heard of that make, never heard of the other one. Do you think that the size etc.. would be ok for soups and that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Kenwood make great mixers and food processors..
    I have a Kenwood compact food processor and it is ideal for the jobs I use it for. If I was to make soup I would do it in batches so it will be blended more smoothly.

• Advertisement

lucylu wrote: »
    Kenwood make great mixers and food processors..
    I have a Kenwood compact food processor and it is ideal for the jobs I use it for. If I was to make soup I would do it in batches so it will be blended more smoothly.

Great thanks lucy. and I'm not the best in the kitchen so I doubt I'll be using it for anything crazy anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Funnily enough, looking for the same myself and likewise, on a budget.

I've read through the older posts here and kenwood and/or kitchen aid seem to the be most recommended brands. However, kitchen aid is rather expensive.

The disadvantage with the lidl one is that there is more "stuff" on the product and thus much more can go wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hardy's right - if you have to buy cheap, buy simple. And forget about spare parts, if the blender's still working in six weeks, the odds are that by the time you need spare parts, you'll be able to afford a better blender instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 i'd go for the kenwood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Sorry MM but the Kenwood one is 400W not very much and its awkward for soups, what I recommend is this one and its on sale in the Galway Debenehams anyway for €49 euro and defo better!!! And it has the 700W motor like the Lidl one!!! I had one and it was great :)

Breville Hand Blender

• Advertisement

I got the lidl hand blender a couple of weeks back.
    It is really well made and cos me 12.99 :o. I would definitely give that food processor a go, if I was looking on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I got the lidl hand blender a couple of weeks back.
    It is really well made and cos me 12.99 :o. I would definitely give that food processor a go, if I was looking on the cheap.

I would defo go with the Lidl one too - its nearly double the watt and I have a lot of Lidl products!!! If its a blender you want go with the lidl one, but if its mainly for oats and soup, the hand blender is WAY handier!!

Pop the oats and milk in the the upright glass thing and blend, stick the container in the fridge and it works as a container too :D Less cleaning!!

Pop hand blender in the soup pot when blending soup and again less cleaning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The wattage is only a rough guide to how effective the blender is though...

See I have a hand blender already so I wanted to get a bigger blender, I only plan to use it for soups and oats now but may want it for other things in the future so wanted one a bit bigger and that's not a hand blender, if that makes sense!! I want to blend large amounts of oats into flour so the bigger blender would be better for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i have the lidl one and its definitely a good buy for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

Hope this isn't against the posting guidelines but I'm moving away and have a processor I've used about twice. It's a decent Kenwood Multi Food Pro. I have all the bits and the book - just the box is gone. You can have it for €30 ono if you can collect (Midlands/Athlone).

I was going to stick it on Ebay but haven't figured out the whole selling side of that yet.

MissRibena wrote: »
    Hope this isn't against the posting guidelines but I'm moving away and have a processor I've used about twice. It's a decent Kenwood Multi Food Pro. I have all the bits and the book - just the box is gone. You can have it for €30 ono if you can collect (Midlands/Athlone).

I was going to stick it on Ebay but haven't figured out the whole selling side of that yet.

Seriously? that would be brilliant if you're sure. I actually work in Athlone I could meet you tomorrow?. You can PM me details?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

Sent you a PM :)

replied :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, just be careful you get the right utility.

I have a top of the range blender, it's a Blendtec HP3A, the same you'll see in smoothie bars etc, the WILL IT BLEND? Blender :D It's brilliant for smoothies, fine soups and chopping dry nuts, seeds etc into fine particles.

I bought it thinking it could be used for anything but I was wrong. If the mixture is too thick and goupy, it tends to overheat if there's too much in it. If there's too little, you'll spend forever opening the lid and pushing the stuff back off the sides. This was disappointing after spending so much on it. There's even a video on their website about making nut butter, they use roasted nuts on the video, but if you try this with raw nuts, it takes FOREVER!! Unless of course you use oil.

I borrowed a food processor that was lying at home and had been unused to see how it would work and I was greatly impressed. It's just so much easier to use for the thicker recipes and can make some raw nut butter after about 10 minutes spinning. You can just leave it there spinning away and not have to be pushing the stuff off the sides every 10 seconds.

So basically, even with a top of the range blender, be careful what you're buying for.

If you want smoothies, fine soups, milks etc the Blendtec is amazing. Trying to make the same things in cheaper blenders just doesn't compare. Something like nut milk will be ready in about 30 seconds in the blendtec, smooth as can be. In a cheaper blender, there'll be half chopped nuts at the bottom after 5 minutes of blending.

If you want to make thick goupy recipes like dough, cake mix and all that, a food processor is the way to go.

Oh, ice cream in the blendtec is amazing. You can have full thick icecream in about 50 seconds by just throwing in ice and other ingredients. Perfectly smooth, creamy ice cream.

Cleaning wise, food processors are a lot harder to clean than blenders, the blendtec is especially easy to clean whereas the food processor takes a lot more effort, a lot more nooks and crannies that have to be given attention.

Miss Ribenas offer sounds great, lucky you :)

I've also used the Lidl food processor and it's very good for the price. The Wattage is high and again, it does the "goupy" recipes even better than my blendtec :eek:

I've used lower wattage food processors before and they overheat within a minute of a thick recipe.

• Advertisement

Cormie, What wattage is the blender you use for nut butters?

Thanks for that info cormie, that's the thing I wasn't sure if I'd need a certain one to do certain things, don't know much about them!!
    Am delighted with Miss Ribenas offer!!:D

Am delighted with Miss Ribenas offer!!:D

It looks a brilliant blender.....enjoy! :)

It looks a brilliant blender.....enjoy! :)

Oh will do thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cormie, What wattage is the blender you use for nut butters?

My Blendtec Blender is 1500 watt, 13amp and 3 horse power. Think these figures are important too.

The food processor I use is a philips 700W.

Food processor is much better for nut butters!

Advertisement