Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember this cowboy?

• 25-03-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

1197544111253_1.jpg

Is the new place that replaced it as ridiculous ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is that the one on the quays opposite the Four Courts? If so, it's been gone for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It went from being the most expensive to one of the cheapest. I think its around average now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭golfpaul

It's now called Top Oil
    Petrol 128.9
    Diesel 118.9 atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

the one that replaced it is actually one of the cheapest in dublin .... funnnily enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is that the one on the quays opposite the Four Courts? If so, it's been gone for a long time.

Yeah :)
    It was pretty much the only time I was glad to have a Statoil Fuelcard.

How did that work though, because i paid the card price... did statiol pay the difference ?

Anyways i've been gone from Ireland a few years now .. was just wondering what happened in its place as a few stations in cork were sold for the land.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

How did that work though, because i paid the card price... did statiol pay the difference ?
    It's part of their licensing terms afaik, he just had to charge the card price. I'm sure the margin he made on everything else more than made up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Nobody was ever forced to buy fuel there, it being a free market and all that!

99.9% of you would not operate a business with the margins fuel retailers are expected to get by on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Of course the fact that the guy that operated that site had absolutely zero interest whatsoever if anyone bought fuel off him or not is beside the point.

It didn't bother him for one millisecond. He's a seriously clever bloke and a genius operator and that site made him a multimillionaire, even though no one ever bought any fuel. And no he was not involved in anything illegal.

It's all about the bigger picture....

Of course the fact that the guy that operated that site had absolutely zero
    interest whatsoever if anyone bought fuel off him or not is beside the point.

It didn't bother him for one millisecond. He's a seriously clever bloke and a genius operator and that site made him a multimillionaire, even though no one ever bought any fuel. And no he was not involved in anything illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ah go on tell us
    sinceyou posted twice an all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tigger wrote: »
    sinceyou posted twice an all
    +1, he's clearly dying to.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hammertime wrote: »
    Of course the fact that the guy that operated that site had absolutely zero
    interest whatsoever if anyone bought fuel off him or not is beside the point.

So basically what you are saying is he was operating a brothel on the site and the high fuel costs were to get rid of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I'd say it was more the 24hr shop he operated and the fact the place was surrounded by flats with out a "proper" shop around meant he made all his money from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there's a spar up behind him
    i think its cleverer than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

How long is the spar there cause i remember that guy charging those prices in late 90's early 2000's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

maybe petrol stations are allowed to open 24hours or something ?

Or you need a special license for shops that costs a bomb ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

If I recollect correctly, Statoil (at national level) had some sort of contract to fuel Garda vehicles (and possibly ambulances/fire brigade vehicles too?).
    That Statoil station was the 'local' one to several city centre Garda Stations, so an awful lot of the fuel pumped there wasn't actually paid for at the till, but was billed back through Statoil to the State.
    Similar to any of us using a fuel card of some sort, but negotiated at national level, at, I'd hope, an advantageous price. Certainly not at the 'pump' price (again, I hope!).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Anjin

Melodeon wrote: »
    If I recollect correctly, Statoil (at national level) had some sort of contract to fuel Garda vehicles (and possibly ambulances/fire brigade vehicles too?).
    That Statoil station was the 'local' one to several city centre Garda Stations, so an awful lot of the fuel pumped there wasn't actually paid for at the till, but was billed back through Statoil to the State.
    Similar to any of us using a fuel card of some sort, but negotiated at national level, at, I'd hope, an advantageous price. Certainly not at the 'pump' price (again, I hope!).

Yea, heard that too. Only way he could survive really and boy I bet he made a packet from it !

Melodeon wrote: »

Yep, it's was even better though....

When the petrol station up beside the old Harcourt St train station close in the 90's he went direct to every police station, fire station, hospital, governemnt office etc etc and offered hem an account directly with him. He even cut Statoil out of it, as although there is a nataional agreement at local levels the fire/garda etc where free to make their own arrangements if they wished.

He signed up just about everyone there was to sign up, got government PO's issued each month in ADVANCE so he didn't sen need cash flow to buy the fuel!

He then increased the fuel from a margin of about 3c a litre to about 60 cent a litre, and promptly sold about 4 million litres a year, AT SIXTY CENTS A LITRE margin. His volume before hand was about 10 million litres but as he was so dear it reduced by 60% but he was still making 20 times what he made before. The shop was irrelevent, he never needed to be there as t was as close to self running as you can get.

He did it for about 12-13 years.

The real kicker was the government/state bodies didn't care a jot about the price so he was charging them FULL pump price even though they all had Statoil cards in their vehicles which entitled them to the national card price !!!!!

Because the invoices were coming from his company not statoil the national card price was not part of the deal.

Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

As much as he is a Genius on this occasion. It goes to show how incompetent the public sector and the government were/are if they couldn't even realise that they were paying over the odds.

Fair play to him, he has done nothing wrong but once again tax payer foots the bill for incompetency of the state

• Advertisement

C Eng wrote: »
    As much as he is a Genius on this occasion. It goes to show how incompetent the public sector and the government were/are if they couldn't even realise that they were paying over the odds.

Fair play to him, he has done nothing wrong but once again tax payer foots the bill for incompetency of the state

Couldn't agree more, I actually think they knew it was over the odds they paid it anyway simply becuase no one was bothered to pick up a phone

Shocking really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Why was this the case? Would Garda and State vehicles not be able to get fuel without the taxes/duties on it. I know the defence forces only pay something like a third of the consumer price for fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Gophur wrote: »
    99.9% of you would not operate a business with the margins fuel retailers are expected to get by on!

If you don't like it............... Anyway I still dunno who pays that kinda money for diesel anymore. It's a recession don't you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

But surely Statoil would have objected to this?? bad publicity and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Hammertime wrote: »
    He then increased the fuel from a margin of about 3c a litre to about 60 cent a litre, and promptly sold about 4 million litres a year, AT SIXTY CENTS A LITRE margin. His volume before hand was about 10 million litres but as he was so dear it reduced by 60% but he was still making 20 times what he made before. The shop was irrelevent, he never needed to be there as t was as close to self running as you can get.

He did it for about 12-13 years.

The real kicker was the government/state bodies didn't care a jot about the price so he was charging them FULL pump price even though they all had Statoil cards in their vehicles which entitled them to the national card price !!!!!

Because the invoices were coming from his company not statoil the national card price was not part of the deal.

Genius.

Sorry, I could be wrong on this but I do not believe this. You cannot tell me that an administrator would allow their vehicles to pay insane amounts for fuel. Everything was audited back then too, and I fail to see how this could happen. The public and civil service are much maligned but someone would have picked up on this at some stage.

Any proof? If you have written proof then off to the newspapers with you cos you'll earn a fair few bob with an example of scandalous wasting of tax payers money.

My own idea is that its the only station for miles around. There was another station between Drumcondra and Whitehall on the left hand side (maybe beside the Skylon hotel ??), had crazy prices too, mostly state cars filling up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ya i find it hard to believe that story either, i mean do you expect all the gardai, firefighters, ambulance crew etc would agree to go to just one petrol station in the city centre and hence have the inconvience of battling heavy traffic every time they need to fill up.

If it was for all statoil stations maybe, but just one?..no.

Advertisement