Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no wireless showing up in device manager? advent laptop

Options
  • 25-03-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

hi all,

just got broadband in yesterday, but cant seem to be able to get my laptop hooked to wireless. at the mo, im just connecting with the ethernet cable.

when I go through the device manager, nothing is there about wireless connections etc.

just to say I did have vista on the machine when I bought it, and have XP on it, so is it a case I wiped something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does the laptop have a wireless network adapter? Is the driver installed? Is it switched on?

This isn't a broadband issue, so I'm moving this to Wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sorry for the wrong forum.

there's no switch on the laptop, and I went through the device manager, it seems to be set up as "automatic", but when I try to go through the wireless settings on the control panel it just tells me the adapter isn't available..
    I wonder that fact I wiped vista, has that made a difference...

where would I get a driver? If I'm asked for a serial number etc for my machine, then the fact I wiped vista may not work for me...?

It's an advent notebook, not bad, 2gb ram, but the battery is fried, so I might consider getting a new machine soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

could you post the model number of the laptop? it would be very unusual for a laptop with vista on it to have come without a wireless card as most laptops around that time would have had the wireless card built in.

look across the top number keys on your laptop, is there any symbol on the keys that looks like a wireless beacon? usually pressing "Fn" with "F2" activates the wireless on most laptops.

cartainly if we had the model number it would be easier to determine your wireless capability...

as for the battery, i dont know if its fried as such, but given an estimate of the laptops age i'd say is it more likely that the battery wont hold a charge any more. but still the laptop itself should work fine, you can get a replacement battery for about €80, but perhaps we should concentrate on getting the wireless going first... getting ahead o meself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

fixed it. I did not know that Fn and F10 would activate wireless. Silly me, but it's solved regardless. Thanks.

think id nearly just save for an apple than get a new battery. might do though....

Advertisement