Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki burgman 125 for commuting

• 25-03-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Anyone have experience with this or similar types? Basically I live in Sallins in Kildare and I'll be working in Adelaide road from 26th of April.

Here's where the problems lie! I've never actually driven a mode of transport before, so getting a scooter would really be my first motorised vehicle. I've already plotted a route on google maps that takes my away from the N7 so's I can get my bearings but really I'm just asking the world at wide is this is a wise choice?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

Drive a burgman 125 08 from dublin 08 to leixlip for about a year now, no major issues, it can get pretty cold, or windy etc. but that's about it, spend around 8 euro a week to commute everyday, takes me around 25 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Murilloinf wrote: »
    Drive a burgman 125 08 from dublin 08 to leixlip for about a year now, no major issues, it can get pretty cold, or windy etc. but that's about it, spend around 8 euro a week to commute everyday, takes me around 25 min.

Ah deadly stuff, thanks man. So they're pretty handy for learner bikers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - I'm going to move this to Motorbikes, as I think you'll get a better response there.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - I'm going to move this to Motorbikes, as I think you'll get a better response there.:)

Thanks man, apologies for my cock up!

Murilloinf wrote: »

Sorry man, just wondering what sort of mileage you're doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

bike has 14k now, it's from sept 08. so dividing 700km month. give or take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I just traded in my burgeman 125. Had it Jan 2008 - clocked up 16.5k on it commuting from Lucan to Leason Street. Did the job and was quite happy with it. (My world record time getting from leason street to lucan was 19 minutes - including 23 sets of traffic lights). kept it outside for that time with a cover on it and never had problem starting it - including this January's cold weather. The Bike is quite light so strong wind can throw you off a bit. Sad to see it go but had to move on. You can keep up with traffic up to about 100kph. Anything higher can be a struggle if you are going up hill.
    A few hours rider training would be worthwhile to get some useful tips. You'll probably find once you get it you will want to move up. I've just got a majesty 400 which from my scooter commuting-to-work-needs point of view is the bogs dollocks.

reece wrote: »
    I just traded in my burgeman 125. Had it Jan 2008 - clocked up 16.5k on it commuting from Lucan to Leason Street. Did the job and was quite happy with it. (My world record time getting from leason street to lucan was 19 minutes - including 23 sets of traffic lights). kept it outside for that time with a cover on it and never had problem starting it - including this January's cold weather. The Bike is quite light so strong wind can throw you off a bit. Sad to see it go but had to move on. You can keep up with traffic up to about 100kph. Anything higher can be a struggle if you are going up hill.
    A few hours rider training would be worthwhile to get some useful tips. You'll probably find once you get it you will want to move up. I've just got a majesty 400 which from my scooter commuting-to-work-needs point of view is the bogs dollocks.

Wow thanks for the reply man. Was actually looking at the majesty myself but havin not started yet wouldn't be allowed! Just out of interest did you have much biking experience before you got the 125?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

You can get Suzuki AN 125cc scooter brand new for around €2k it is scooter size so good for getting through traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Wow thanks for the reply man. Was actually looking at the majesty myself but havin not started yet wouldn't be allowed! Just out of interest did you have much biking experience before you got the 125?

I had no biking experience - so for the first 10 minutes moving in a straight line was difficult. Once I got the hang of that it got easier. Arranged for a couple of hours rider training 2 days later. Despite all that I still came off 8 months later - made the mistake of breaking hard while turning (to avoid an on coming car) and the front wheel went out from underneath me. The bike still worked a treat after that (I had 9 months of pain though). Things to look out for - slippery road markings and manhole covers, general grease on the road after rain, etc.. Know how to use you breaks - ie sequence of front / back breaks, etc....

I think the majesty is way better than the burgeman - it's got big motor bike wheels and I feel confident going into corners (slide the back wheel on the burgeman crossing heuston station bridge on to the north quay - having opened the trottle on wet clear way box - recovered it but at one stage was moving forward at 45 degrees facing Guinness).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just to add my 2 cents. I had a Majesty 125 and moved to an Xmax 125(still Yamaha). It's better than the majesty in terms of road holding imo,has a good mix of 'sportiness' and practicality and has a chunky 15" front and 14" rear.

A second hand Xmax will set you back around €2000 - €2500.

Advertisement