Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting Dutchman's Breeches

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Last year my dicentra grew so big that I reckon I could divide it and get 2/3 plants. I've never split a plant before so any suggestions on the best way to go about it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The correct time to divide Bleeding Heart, Dicentra spectabilis is in September. At that time the plant is going dormant. If you were to divide now in the spring, you may not kill the plant which is fairly hardy, but you may prevent the Dicentra from flowering this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks. Guess I'll just let it terrorise the other plants until autumn so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Right. It's September. Is it just a case of digging it up and splitting it, or does it have to be done in a special way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Once the plant has died back dig it up, split it and replant the new plants.

Dicentra is fairly hardy and should survive no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Handiest way is to use two forks, stab them through the plant back to back, then lever them apart. Either that or attack it with a spade, or machette or what ever you have to hand! So long as you get some 'plant' in each lump (not just bits of root) you will be ok. Its still a bit too early to do it, give it another 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement