Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouch...feel like crying:(

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Stumbled upon this forum at just the right time. I'm on day 5 of quiiting after 13 years of smoking. That's scary seeing as I'm only 28. I was smoking baout 10 a day and more at the weekend when drinking.

I'm finding today extremenly difficult. i have no intention of giving in no matter how bad it gets but my God I feel rough. It's not even so much that I want a cigarette, it's that I feel tired (had weird dreams and kept waking up), cranky, sad, depressed, sorry for myself, have a weird nicotine taste in my throat (is this normal?) and I'm soooooooooo snappy. I feel like killing everyone in work:(

Just wanted to write this down and see if other people felt this way and when/how it got easier. I have a headache too and I never ever get headaches. I also want to eat lots of treats like cake and stuff (way more then usual)
    AAwww...feel so sorry for myself...tell me it gets better!! I actually feel very unwell....is that normal??

Thanks guys and Eve_Dub your thread is fantastic:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Day 6 here and it's not as bad, every day a little better ;)

The pressure/headache I was putting down to the clenched jaw

I've found excersise clears my mind for a few hours, worth giving it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Beetlebum wrote: »
    AAwww...feel so sorry for myself...tell me it gets better!! I actually feel very unwell....is that normal??

First of all, VERY WELL DONE. Day five - wow. Look at all you've achieved, keep up the good work.

Secondly, BIG hug to you. Awwwwwwwww, you poor poor lamb. I went through everything you are going through now and it's horrible.

Yes, it is perfectly normal to feel wretched, snappy and/or unwell. When I quit, I was so ill until Day 7 or Day 8, at one stage convinced myself I was going to have to go to hospital but was trying to figure out how the doctors could facilitate me in the ICU AND a psych ward simultaneously. :D I honest to goodness thought I was going to die as every single muscle in my body seemed to contract, I was blinded with a severe headache and I suffered from extreme discomfort and anxiety. Insomnia wasn't a problem as I'd pre-empted that by getting a week's supply of low-dose sleeping tablets.

These feelings of pain and angst and all-round horrideness will pass. You're well on the way there now and you'll look back and be glad you put yourself through this giving up. I genuinely believe the worse it is, the more of a deterrent it is to taking up smoking again.

Read www.whyquit.com and post here any time you feel like sh1t. Also, sip on fruit juice when you get a craving and try (and I know it's the last thing you feel like), but try and get to the gym for even 20 minutes, sweating it out of you will take your mind off things.

Feel free to PM me. Quitting is the best thing you'll ever do and you will begin to feel better in no time m'dear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Thank you Miss Fluff, that really helped.

I feel a bit better after lunch and a ton of chocloate biscuits. I'm also joining the gym beside work tomorrow (payday!) and I'm gonna treat myself to a gorgeous leather jacket I've had my eye. The cravings are quite strange. I don't actually want a cigarette as such, I just want everyone around me to shut the hell up and leave me alone...hee hee

I went home for lunch and my flat mate asked me if I left the immersion on all night cause it costs a fortune....I burst into tears!!! How embarassing! He looked at me like I was mad and said PMs? I said no, I've given up smoking and am having a bad day. He gave me a big hug then:)

Anything that can make you feel this rough is not a good thing. It's no loss to me. It's a huge gain. I can and will do this. I can already feel my breathing is better and although I didn't sleep well last night and I kept waking up, I had really wacky cool dreams (gotta cling to every positive!).

The snappy feeling is what getting to me the most. I feel quite angry and that's like me but I know that it will pass.

Good luck to everyone who has quit or is quitting!! We can do it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Beetlebum wrote: »
    The snappy feeling is what getting to me the most. I feel quite angry and that's like me but I know that it will pass.

That will pass soon. Quitting is a massive emotional upheaval and that manifests itself in different ways. Treating yourself is important and the gym will release endorphins which will help your mood and using up that nervous enrgy in the gym will also help you sleep better as well....the gym is the best single thing you can do to get you over this difficult time. Try a warm bath before bed (not too hot) and some chamomile tea and go to bed and you'll be dreaming about your gorg leather jacket :) Evening primrose is good for moods/snappiness too. I need to dig up the article but quitting does effect your hormone balance.

You're doing great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Ive tried giving up before, but then I think "Why Bother"?

But fair play, I envy you for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

Tried to give up about 50 gazillion times, and slowly moving towards the next give up, i even had this list stuck on my computer at work
    http://blisstree.com/feel/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-stop-smoking-right-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RadiantGirl

Hi Op

Im on day 4, have been smoking since I was 13 and im 28, scary to think that Iv been smoking more years than iv been off them.....It is so so hard and I have tried cold turkey so many times but it just doesn't work for me.

This time im on patches and to be honest finding it easier than I thought. I know im still getting nicotine into my system but im on the lowest mg patch so not getting as much as if I was smoking.

I just keep thinking how nice I smell and my breath doesn't stink and that I don't have to keep spraying perfume before every meeting in work or if im meeting friends that don't smoke. Im loving it at the moment to be honest. I am out on Saturday night so that will be the challenge once I get a few drinks in me. If I can get through Saturday night then I think im laughing.

I dreaded giving up one reason cause I was afraid of putting on weight etc, but i copped onto myself, joined the gym and just keep drinking water when I have a craving.

You should be so happy with yourself, 5 days is great. and yes the tastes, headaches etc are all normal. I am coughing up some amount of crap and my nose feels like its going to explode, but one thing is, that I will never go back on them after this. Could not go through all the mad dreams, sweats etc again if I gave them up again.

Please keep in touch and let us/me know how your getting on. xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

keep it going it will be well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Day one here using the inhaler. Not as bad as i thought. Decided to go with the inhaler as i would miss having something in my hand. so far so good. ill keep ye posted. by the way 27 and smoking 8 years bout 10 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I smoked for 15 years but havent had one since mid jan of this year.

One week at a time, I gave up and now its been 4 and half months and every once in a while I think about my achievement so far and I am so proud of myself.

I dont get cravings any more and I am delighted with the fact that I am not 'going out into the cold on my own to ingest expensive poisons'.

Stay with it. Its a great feeling to no longer have a stinking, breath restricting layer between you and your life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement