Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupied house problem

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I moved into an owner occupied house a couple of months back. I'm still getting settled in now after various personal non house related issues.

I have a couple of things in my room and noticed some stuff was slightly moved as I've got an eagle for stuff out of place. I set up my web cam just out of curiosity and caught my live in landlord snooping around my room :mad:

I realise that because its an owner occupied house I don't have the same rights and a normal tennant. Can anyone tell me the best way of getting back my deposit if the owner starts to kick up a fuss ?

I'm going to give him a weeks notice which he asked for before but I can imagine this next week is going to be uncomfortable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

KTRIC wrote: »
    I realise that because its an owner occupied house I don't have the same rights and a normal tennant. Can anyone tell me the best way of getting back my deposit if the owner starts to kick up a fuss ?

I'm going to give him a weeks notice which he asked for before but I can imagine this next week is going to be uncomfortable.

Keep the video of him snooping in your room for a start.

If you want to avoid the uncomfortable week then I'd suggest lying and saying some friends have a place that you wanted to move into and a place has unexpectedly come up. If he presses you though be honest and say you can't live in a house where there's no privacy.

If two weeks is all he asked for and you haven't signed a lease then you should have no trouble getting your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm pretty sure if the owner kicks up and you show them the video footage they'd be highly embarrassed and give you your deposit back no problem. If there's a problem then tell them you're contacting Threshold. I really doubt they'd want it to go that far considering they were caught red handed.

Do you want to get out of there or would you consider just putting a lock on your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

:eek: Thats disgraceful!
    Give the minimum notice you can and get the hell out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The f*cker was in here again today :mad:

This is probably going on longer than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Is he snooping everytime or what else is he doing?
    Thats harsh!
    Could you not just take your deposit an run asap given that what hes doing is against your privacy rights?!

• Advertisement

Have to get another place to run to, also the issue of moving my stuff. Not into confrontation, nothing stopping him changing the locks when I'm out after a discussion about him being in my room.

He was ironing today in his boxers !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

The f*cker was in here again today :mad:

This is probably going on longer than I thought
    Leave now. Ask for your deposit back and if he gives any hassle, show him the vids and mention youtube and this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Have to get another place to run to, also the issue of moving my stuff. Not into confrontation, nothing stopping him changing the locks when I'm out after a discussion about him being in my room.

He was ironing today in his boxers !!!

Surley you can put a lock on the door?

Just come with some excuse about some of your stuff being valuable and you just want to be extra safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

No need for any of this making up excuses for leaving, tell him you know he has been snooping in your room and have it on video and demand your deposit back. No weeks notice or anything either, get your money and get out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I would contact threshold if i were you:
    http://www.threshold.ie/

Edit: Hmmm depending on the circumstances I'd also be thinking about informing the guards I think. Hmmm but I'm not sure its legalto record someone without their knowledge/ so I'd say you were wondering if someone unknown was intruding in your room when you were out and you set it up to check, don't say you set out to record your landlord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

If you can, remove yourself from that situation a.s.a.p

Theres something clearly not right with this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I moved into an owner occupied house a couple of months back. I'm still getting settled in now after various personal non house related issues.

I have a couple of things in my room and noticed some stuff was slightly moved as I've got an eagle for stuff out of place. I set up my web cam just out of curiosity and caught my live in landlord snooping around my room :mad:

that is invasion of privacy, you are entitled to privacy, you had better get out now, go to a friends place until you get a place of your own, which you will be able to get fast as there are much more rooms available,
    also i would never stay in owner occupied house, as i would rather stay where everyone has the same claim to the place, much more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

If you're not into confrontation (really?, it does not have to be a screaming match) easiest way is just to 'miss' the next rent payment and when he asks about it tell him you are moving out and the deposit can cover your rent.
    I realise that because its an owner occupied house I don't have the same rights and a normal tenant.
    This is correct, though I've never been clear what your rights are when you rent a room. These guys recommend writing up an agreement which makes a lot of sense. Although you'd think "Stay out of my room" would not need to be said.

Edit: Hmmm depending on the circumstances I'd also be thinking about informing the guards I think
    Don't waste the Guards (or your own) time, it's a civil matter not a criminal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Upload the video(s) onto youtube and show us all. What was he doing in your room? Maybe show him the video if he is wondering why you are moving out.
    You may not have the same rights as if you were sharing a property, but everyone is entitled to their personal space.

I'm going to see a place this evening, if its ok I'm jumping at it and moving asap.

I'm also waiting for the next video installment :D They make interesting watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

I had this problem in reverse - suspected my lodger was snooping in my room - God knows why..... Anyway I left a note on my bed telling her to get to F**K out of my room and that I had her under video surveillance ( I hadn't). Interestingly she avoided me for a week or so, and handed in her notice by note on the kitchen table. I got a kick out of her embarrassment as neither of us mentioned the note but we both knew of it's existence. I did keep my bedroom door locked until she finally moved out.

Hope your viewing goes well tonight.

I'm going to see a place this evening, if its ok I'm jumping at it and moving asap.

I'm also waiting for the next video installment :D They make interesting watching.

This has to be put up on youtube, Im a video editor, if you want pm me the video and I will blur his face so you can upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Bloody owner-occupiers! I had a similar situation when I lived with one a few years ago, not only would they snoop in my room but her sister used my razor and her mum used my toothbrush!!!!!

She used to go away for some weekends and each time either or mum or sister would turn up, let themselves in and treat the place as there own. Her mum, who was at least 60 but dressed like she was a lot younger even brought her friends back once from a night out and some random guy they have conned into driving them home!!!!! Her friends were talking about how they needed to be quiet as they knew I was there but her mum announced "Who cares, we don't need the rent that badly"

Thing is - yes they did! I got out of their ASAP and would never share with owner-occupier again!

I'd be up front - tell him you know what he's been doing and that you're leaving, if he has an issue with that kindly tell him about your little video. BTW well done on thinking of doing that

I'd say it felt nice telling them to shove their room.

Equality in a house share is essential.

got to see him in his underwear :(

Not a nice sight, I'm telling you.

He took some cleaning stuff from my en-suite. Going to see a room in another house in a moment, can't wait :D

• Advertisement

He took some cleaning stuff from my en-suite. Going to see a room in another house in a moment, can't wait :D
    lol, on video or just about the house?

Slightly ot...but I was being shown around a house recently and wasn't sure if it was owner occupied because the girl (around 30) showing me around introduced me to a girl who looked very young. I asked was that her daughter....the girl was 27. Needless to say I didn't get the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So he's a thief too ?

lol, on video or just about the house?

On video, thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Bloody owner-occupiers! I had a similar situation when I lived with one a few years ago, not only would they snoop in my room but her sister used my razor and her mum used my toothbrush!!!!!

:eek: Lets hope neither of them have "da vy ris". I'd be getting tested after that!

KTRIC I hope you get somewhere else asap, and I agree with whoever said about not lying about why you want to move, Id be upfront about it, dont wait any longer either, even if nothing else happens afterwards, would you really be comfortable in that situation, I wouldnt. What is yer man doing going around in his undies anyway, sure you could come in at anytime. Hmmm.....don't suppose there's a trend to when he's going into your room? You could catch him red-handed!

I couldn't catch him red handed to be honest. I'm struggling to find a decent place at the moment.

I'm sticking my valuables into storage in a couple of days, he's leaving the doors unlocked and I have a feeling we're going to get "burgled" soon. This guy is always on about the house insurance and asked me how much my stuff is worth, i'll be f*cked if I'm telling him.

aww, well best of luck with the whole thing anyways. I think I'm def getting a studio next time, flatmates are a pain in the...In the mean time, have some fun with it, set some traps for him maybe, leave a dusting of flour inside the door, watch him desperately try and conceal his footprints :D .....

Do you reckon he is going to try a spot of insurance fraud with your contents? Is he bad off for money.

Sounds like a hellish situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kelticweb

OMG! Yes upload the vid and I'd make a official report or call the guards and ask their advice on what you should do.

That way the guards have it on record that you made a call about it...should things get nasty...or serial-killer like

• Advertisement

Kelticweb wrote: »
    That way the guards have it on record that you made a call about it...should things get nasty...or serial-killer like

hmm....serial-killer like..interesting....but at the expense of KTRIC :(

Advertisement