Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick senior courses

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

does anyone know how much the full time photography course is in lim senior??or any full time course really.i have rang them a few times and they path me through to someones voicemail the whole time as the guy never seems to be there?!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I did the full time photography course there, what would you like to know? As for getting through it’s all a matter of timing. When I was there mon-tues-weds teaching classes at varying time. Thursday morning in the dark room Thursday afternoon whole class plus teachers out in the field. Friday out in the field.

Overall it was a good course and I learned allot, the teachers know their stuff and have allot of experience. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

I did the full time photography course there, what would you like to know? As for getting through it’s all a matter of timing. When I was there mon-tues-weds teaching classes at varying time. Thursday morning in the dark room Thursday afternoon whole class plus teachers out in the field. Friday out in the field.

Overall it was a good course and I learned allot, the teachers know their stuff and have allot of experience. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer.

excellent :) i rang the college just there n they told me its 250euro plus costs for like the trip and supplies and stuff so dats gud.i was wondering what kind of portfolio you had prepared when you went for the interview?what kind of photos had you and how many etc?? thank u so much for this.great knowing this stuff properly before i go do the interview :) oh also could you recommend a good camera to get cuz im a total novice and dont know where to start but i want to get a good one :)

Portfolio

I had a small portfolio that I got properly printed. Whelan’s cameras do nice prints. I think I got a letter telling me what to bring, i.e. how many (15 I think but it was a while ago). I had a varied portfolio ranging from portraits, landscapes, transport and some wildlife. Include one or two arty ones if you can. The beginner’s photography course in the evenings in Limerick senior college is a great base on which to build your portfolio. I will have a rummage around and see if I can find some of the images I used for my portfolio.

Costs

The day to day running costs for course materials can be quite high. You could easily use up to 2 to 3 colour films in a week, plus purchasing black and white films (you will end up developing most of these yourself in the dark room) and using black and white developing paper. They may ask you in your interview how you intend to finance the course so be prepared. Here is a tip for you, don’t ever throw any pictures no matter how bad, they can be quite useful for demonstrations in your projects.
    There will be some local trips and one international trip on the course. Most field trips happened on a Thursday (for me anyway) and were within driving range of limerick (about 30 min), people who did not have cars got lifts from those who did and there were never any problems. Other trips which require a bus, botanic gardens in Dublin will have to be paid for but the cost was quite low. The big cost was the international trip, our class went to Prague.

Camera

At the very least you will require a film SLR camera. I would tend to stick to the big names like canon and Nikon purely because that is what most people will have and it’s handy to be able to swap lenses. I started out with a canon 3000v slr and two lenses, a 28-90mm and 75-300mm. When I got my d-slr, a canon 20D the advantages were immediately obvious, the ability to instantly see the picture taken was a massive time and money saver especially when experimenting with new techniques. Just a note while on the subject you will still need to shoot and print yourself all of you black and white pictures on film.
    I am not up to date on what the current good film slrs are, I can’t imagine there are many left. If you check out the photography forum on here I am sure someone will be able to help you.

I think that covers most of what you asked. If I left anything out let me know.

Portfolio

I had a small portfolio that I got properly printed. Whelan’s cameras do nice prints. I think I got a letter telling me what to bring, i.e. how many (15 I think but it was a while ago). I had a varied portfolio ranging from portraits, landscapes, transport and some wildlife. Include one or two arty ones if you can. The beginner’s photography course in the evenings in Limerick senior college is a great base on which to build your portfolio. I will have a rummage around and see if I can find some of the images I used for my portfolio.

Costs

The day to day running costs for course materials can be quite high. You could easily use up to 2 to 3 colour films in a week, plus purchasing black and white films (you will end up developing most of these yourself in the dark room) and using black and white developing paper. They may ask you in your interview how you intend to finance the course so be prepared. Here is a tip for you, don’t ever throw any pictures no matter how bad, they can be quite useful for demonstrations in your projects.
    There will be some local trips and one international trip on the course. Most field trips happened on a Thursday (for me anyway) and were within driving range of limerick (about 30 min), people who did not have cars got lifts from those who did and there were never any problems. Other trips which require a bus, botanic gardens in Dublin will have to be paid for but the cost was quite low. The big cost was the international trip, our class went to Prague.

Camera

At the very least you will require a film SLR camera. I would tend to stick to the big names like canon and Nikon purely because that is what most people will have and it’s handy to be able to swap lenses. I started out with a canon 3000v slr and two lenses, a 28-90mm and 75-300mm. When I got my d-slr, a canon 20D the advantages were immediately obvious, the ability to instantly see the picture taken was a massive time and money saver especially when experimenting with new techniques. Just a note while on the subject you will still need to shoot and print yourself all of you black and white pictures on film.
    I am not up to date on what the current good film slrs are, I can’t imagine there are many left. If you check out the photography forum on here I am sure someone will be able to help you.

I think that covers most of what you asked. If I left anything out let me know.

thats a great help.thank you SO MUCH :) i cnt think of nethng else rite now but if i do,il defo bug u about it ha
    cheers

No problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you wha? wrote: »
    thats a great help.thank you SO MUCH :) i cnt think of nethng else rite now but if i do,il defo bug u about it ha
    cheers

go easy on the text speak please.

go easy on the text speak please.

its how i write...not as if im excessive with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Photography for beginners: Cresent College Comprehensive

10 weeks, 110 Eu, nightclassesccc@eircom.net
    061 302 354
    www.crescentsj.com

Ph Techniques - HL015 - Limerick College of Fruther Education

and

Ph Digital (FETAC) - Lim College of Fruther Education

12 weeks, 210 Eu, adulted@lcfe.ie
    061 414344
    www.lcfe.ie

Digital Photography - Villiers School
    10 weeks, 120 Eu

061 - 451447

At LIT, is something but I don't know what:)

www.lit.ie

That's all what I know. :)

Photography for beginners: Cresent College Comprehensive

10 weeks, 110 Eu, nightclassesccc@eircom.net
    061 302 354
    www.crescentsj.com

Ph Techniques - HL015 - Limerick College of Fruther Education

and

Ph Digital (FETAC) - Lim College of Fruther Education

12 weeks, 210 Eu, adulted@lcfe.ie
    061 414344
    www.lcfe.ie

Digital Photography - Villiers School
    10 weeks, 120 Eu

061 - 451447

At LIT, is something but I don't know what:)

www.lit.ie

That's all what I know. :)

thats a great help!thank u :)

Advertisement