Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Gaelteacht, maybe Colaiste Acla ?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

My 13 yr old son is interested in going to the Gaelteacht this summer. We have no experience of good or bad gaelteachts. Has anyone been to Colaiste Acla, Acaill, Co. Mayo?. It reads well on their web page but I want to make sure that it is a good one. He would be going on his own. He is very interested in art, drama and water sports but less so in soccor and gaa. confused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you want him to come back with in anyway better Irish, do not send him there.

A Colaiste na bhFiann Irish college would be an idea, if you can get him into one, it's pretty late to be applying. (You can avoid GAA if you want to when you're there, I know I did :))

Colaiste Uisce is supposedly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've only heard bad things about it to be honest. I went to Lurgan and we did no GAA, it was all ceili, beach everyday, kayaking, hiking,volleyball, basketball. I mean I hate sport and it was still really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I'd recommend Colaiste Sheosaimh in Galway. I've gone there & enjoyed it. Also learned a lot of Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I went to Colaiste Acla 3 times, and I really enjoyed it, although I didn't go on my own.

I never liked sport, like rugby, soccer or GAA, but in Colaiste Acla it was mainly water sports, which I loved.

They are fairly strict on Irish in CA, but not as much as some of the really strict ones in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Colaiste na BhFiannn or Colaiste Chamuis are definetely the best for learning Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

DKZ wrote: »
    I'd recommend Colaiste Sheosaimh in Galway. I've gone there & enjoyed it. Also learned a lot of Irish.
    send him to the kingdom kerry, there they do really enjoy their time and pick up the language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I went to Coláiste Acla a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think it would be a good way to introduce your son to the Gaeltacht experience, as it's only a two-week course and the water sports are very good.

In terms of the best Gaeltacht in the country one definitely springs to mind: Coláiste Lurgan. Very long waiting lists and you have to do a small test/interview before you go to assess your level of Irish, but my brother went last year and the transformation in his Irish was unbelievable. Not only did the experience improve his spoken and written Irish, they really instilled enthusiasm for the language in him - he was speaking as Gaeilge round the house for weeks!

One college I'd keep him very far away from is Coláist Bhríde, in Ranafast. Absolutely dire and hardly any Irish was spoken at all for the whole three weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

If your son is interested in Watersports did you consider Coláiste UISCE. The only Irish college accredited by the Irish Sailing, Windsurfing & Surfing association. This accreditation means they have strict safety guidelines to ensure quality of tuition and the safety of all their customers.

If you're interested check out www.uisce.ie

I don't mind if mods delete this but....

I brought a school group to UISCE and I would not recommend it. Supervision was totally inadequate, organisation very poor.

Based on my own experience when I was in school, I found Coláiste na Rinne and Coláiste Chiaráin both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yesilkent

Colaiste Sheosaimh in Conamara provides water sports as well as other sports and activities. They have 2 centres which are a few miles apart so they can cater for the younger and older (up to leaving cert) students separately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Pocaide wrote: »
    Colaiste na BhFiannn or Colaiste Chamuis are definetely the best for learning Irish

Highly recommended! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blathfitz

Colaiste Uisce is second to none for watersports trí Gaelige. The staff are meticulous in their attention to detail, and supervision is excellent - they are extremely vigilant and to them, student safety is paramount. I have been bringing groups of up to 65 Transition Year students to Uisce for the past four years, and next year's trip is already booked. The activities are as exciting as they are diverse and our students have always considered their Uisce trip the highlight of their year. Highly recommended

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've only heard bad things about it to be honest. I went to Lurgan and we did no GAA, it was all ceili, beach everyday, kayaking, hiking,volleyball, basketball. I mean I hate sport and it was still really good.
    MavisDavis wrote: »
    In terms of the best Gaeltacht in the country one definitely springs to mind: Coláiste Lurgan. Very long waiting lists and you have to do a small test/interview before you go to assess your level of Irish, but my brother went last year and the transformation in his Irish was unbelievable. Not only did the experience improve his spoken and written Irish, they really instilled enthusiasm for the language in him - he was speaking as Gaeilge round the house for weeks!

Went to Lurgan in 2nd year a it certainly did help my irish as someone who only started studying the language in 4th class anad managed honours Irish up to the Christmas of 6th year!

Would also recommend Colaiste O'Direain in the Aran Islands. Went there in 5th year and loved it. It's very small so everyone knows each other well and gets on great. the Irish is also a good standard and as the college is small it's easier to get caught when you are ag caint bearla making it worth your while sticking with the gaeilge! Most people I know from there all had a great standard of Irish afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catrice

ouzie peg wrote: »
    Hi,

My 13 yr old son is interested in going to the Gaelteacht this summer. We have no experience of good or bad gaelteachts. Has anyone been to Colaiste Acla, Acaill, Co. Mayo?. It reads well on their web page but I want to make sure that it is a good one. He would be going on his own. He is very interested in art, drama and water sports but less so in soccor and gaa. confused.gif

its really good. great vibe and really nice staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have been going to Colaiste Acla for the last 6 years and done 11 courses overall. I arrived with virtually no Gaeilge and I now have a high standard of spoken Irish.

The best part about Colaiste Acla is the open friendly nature of the college. I have always found staff and Bean an tí's to be helpful and approachable. The priomhoide in Acla (Mairtin) tries to instill a grá don teanga in all the students, it certainly worked for me.

The College is certainly not the strictest on the scale - na daltaí can use their mobiles for a half hour each evening before bed to ring home, bring their own ipods for use in the teach. However bullying or daltaí mí-bheasach are not entertained and you will be sent home if you are disrespectful of other students/staff/bean an tí etc in any way. In terms of Béarla, the first few days you can use a word or two in each sentance, which has to be predominantly in Irish. If this is abused, the student will be sent home. After these few days it is gaeilge íomlan. Any english spoken will be recorded by the teachers and if you are in the leabhar 3times its abhaile for you. This in enforced strictly but fairly.

As I think many posters here will agree some of the experiences of a teenagers life are spent sa gaeltacht, regardless of where you go. There aren't very many other places where you can safely meet others people of a similar age from all over the country in a safe, friendly environment. Regardless of whether you go with friends from home or initially you don't know anyone you will soon make new friends to keep for life.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

Cholaiste Uisce !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kiwi J

I would highly recommend Colaiste Uisce on the Belmullet peninsula. (I'm a teacher in Co. Kildare) Took a transition year group there in 2003 and have been back every year since. It is a fantastic set-up with a great range of both land and water based sports.
    The staff are great with the students and interact well with all and flexible enough to assist with any level of ability both on and off the water.
    The supervision of the students, both day and night, is excellent which is a plus too.
    In my opinion, a well run college which has always been enjoyed by our students. So much so that following their TY trip some have gone back for summer courses.
    In short, I can only say nice things about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I would recommend any of the Spleodar colleges, they're Conemara based. For a 13 year old they should go to Ros Muc, Corr na Mona (or Leitir Moir possibly. Spleodar Camus and Spleodar Leitir Meallain tend to be for older students.) It's very strict, I went there without a word of Irish and four years later I was working for them as a staff member! The level of care is outstanding, students are supervised 24/7 and encouraged to mix with friends not from home. Having worked there I know the amount of trouble we go to stop cliques from forming and to also keep a special eye on the students who aren't settling in very well. Leadership skills are also hugely developed at all levels throughout the course. Ros Muc in particular has younger students and we understand that not everybody has much Irish going in; at any of the Spleodar colleges it is very very strict but they tend not to send students home at Ros Muc for speaking English because they are that bit younger. Other excellent strict Gaeltachts are the Colaiste Chamus group and Colaiste na bhFiann (na bhFiann might be a bit too hardcore for a 13 year old though). Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

fauxshow wrote: »
    I would recommend any of the Spleodar colleges, they're Conemara based. For a 13 year old they should go to Ros Muc, Corr na Mona (or Leitir Moir possibly. Spleodar Camus and Spleodar Leitir Meallain tend to be for older students.) It's very strict, I went there without a word of Irish and four years later I was working for them as a staff member! The level of care is outstanding, students are supervised 24/7 and encouraged to mix with friends not from home. Having worked there I know the amount of trouble we go to stop cliques from forming and to also keep a special eye on the students who aren't settling in very well. Leadership skills are also hugely developed at all levels throughout the course. Ros Muc in particular has younger students and we understand that not everybody has much Irish going in; at any of the Spleodar colleges it is very very strict but they tend not to send students home at Ros Muc for speaking English because they are that bit younger. Other excellent strict Gaeltachts are the Colaiste Chamus group and Colaiste na bhFiann (na bhFiann might be a bit too hardcore for a 13 year old though). Hope this helps!

was there many people sent home becuase the spoke english in colaiste chaumas
    and which camus course is better cos im 17 now and im looking for a good gealtacht where i can really improve in things like oral and grammer:mad: etc????:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

In Colaiste Chamus and Spleodar Camus, they're both very strict and students will be sent home for speaking one full sentence of English. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is! But if you make a sincere effort to be speaking Irish at all times that won't be a problem for you, there are plenty or weak students and you find that you do really improve quickly and within a week you'll be thinking in Irish. I don't think there's much of a muchness between either college, I have friends that went to Colaiste Camus and they all have excellent Irish as a result, the same as the Spleodar people! They're both very strict... at this stage they'll probably both be long booked out, but maybe things have changed because of the recession. The spleodar website is www.spleodar.com, I guess it's just which college can squeeze you in on the offchance they have a vacancy. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Coláiste Cúram in Youghal, Co. Cork is a decent IC, it's run entirely by volunteers and it's very well managed. It's had to move location this year, so there might be a few places still left. I've been there myself and I can highly recommend it.
    It's not strict, the volunteers are very helpful and kind, everyone who's there is up for a bit of craic, but there's good standards of Irish there. It's only two weeks long this year though, and it is probably more affordable (seeing as it's done on a volunteer basis)
    I don't have much info, but google might get you more. The college doesn't advertise as it gets full demand every year, so it may be difficult finding the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

My 14 year old is just back from Colaiste Sheosaimh in Connemara, first time to the gaeltacht, he got on really well, learnt loads, strict but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

Had one son who went to Colaiste Acla and I had to get my father in law to collect him as he hated it so much. His friend also managed to 'escape' and hopped into the car as well!
    Another son went to Uisce but unfortunately it was a really wet summer so they spent the afternoons sitting in the bedroom surrounded by damp clothes as there didn't seem to be anything organised if the weather was inclement. He's just gone to Lurgan so hopefully will have a better time. I asked the teachers in his school where they'd recommend and this is the one they came up with so I hope it will be a fulfilling experience for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

DKZ wrote: »

is this gaeltacht strict???????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Colaiste na bhFiann is great, I've been 6 times! You learn so much Irish, they're absolutely lovely and it's fun too.
    Would not recommend Lurgan, went once and it was crap- very little Irish spoken, and the activities weren't good either... though other people here seem to have liked it, maybe i wasn't on a good course?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Colaiste Sheosaimh is not too strict according to my 14 year old although the Runai that was there the first (June) session seems to have been a bit of a headbanger and they do have their rules obviously or else what's the point .I know someone who went the next month and it was a different Runai who was fine. Noone was sent home and he did learn loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Depending on what part of the country you live in and the part of the country you would like to learn Irish, there's a great Gaeltacht in Ballingeary, Co. Cork, as well as some good ones around the Dingle peninsula. For a younger child, I'd also recommend the course in Colaiste an Phiarsaigh in Glanmire, Cork (not sure of spelling, sorry). My nephews and nieces have been on some of these courses and were very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

Does anybody know when the interview takes place for Colaiste na bhFiann , generally ? also how well must you know the two verses of the National Anthem ? Do they ask you to sing it at the interview ? My daughter is going and is stressed about these two issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jeanie96

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO CHOLAISTE RIOCARD BAIREAD, GAEL LINN. I went therre and, to be fair, it was rubbish. It was fun but they didn't care at all and i didn't learn anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

ouzie peg wrote: »
    Hi,

Lurgan is supposed to be great.

I went to the one in Ballyvourney in Primary school (I went to a gaelscoil :P), It wa quite good but I wouldn't know about the Summer Program! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Lurgan! I went last year and honestly it was so fun! They put all of the modern pop songs into Irish, which was a nice touch and I genuinely spoke Irish most of the time:) I hear that both Acla and Uisce are good for people going first time because they're all about the water-sports, which is great fun, plus they're both only 2 week courses. However, anyone I known thats been to either of those 2 said they hardly spoke a word of Irish.. So, overall i'd definitely recommend Lurgan but wherever your child goes, as long as he goes with an open mind, he'll have a brilliant time!

Advertisement