Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Gaelteacht, maybe Colaiste Acla ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are 2 on Cape Cleire Island that I went to in my youth one was for everyone and one was for over 16s.
    I loved them and they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I can vouch for Coláiste Ó Direáin. There has been a nice mix of people there the 3 years I've gone, and because the group is relatively small everyone knows everyone. It isn't GAA heavy at all, there are sports like basket ball and volley ball on at break and after classes, but they're not that serious about it. The classes are very good. There is focus put on exam material as well as improving your ability with Irish. They're also fun. I remember, we had one class on the poet Martín Ó Direáin, who come up on the Leaving Cert, and I spent it working with another poeticly-inclined student writing O Direáin style poetry. Some people were making pictures related to the poetry, and others were just discussing it.

They can be a bit strict on Ríal na Gaeilge, but that's what you want. I don't think they sent anyone home from the courses I attended.

Just, if he does go, make sure he gets teach Bríd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Although one of the most expensive Gaeltachts, I swear that Spleodar is the best. I first went when I was 10, barely able to speak a word of Irish,now I'm 14 and able to speak better then my Irish teacher. My only downer is last year I was in Corr na Mona and I was placed in a house of 10 other girls who all knew each other in Dublin. Thanks to the genius who put me in that house I was ignored in the house for 3 weeks:rolleyes:. You do everything from swimming to ceilís, basketball, hockey, football, drama, singing, art, dancing and karate :D. It's really worth the money and your irish will have improved 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Haka58

Hi,
    My daughter wants to go to the Colaiste O Direain Gaeltacht on the Aran Islands Inis Mor. Does anybody have any info on what it's like? She's 15. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alison C 15

Hi I will be going to Colaiste Acla tomorrow. I have never been to the gaeltacht before and I dont know anybody going.Where do you go when you arrive at the gaeltacht?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Hope you're having a good time Alison C.

My two went to Colaiste Acla this year. One going into 6th year and the other going into 3rd.

The 6th year is raging he can't go back next year and the 3rd is already planning the trip back. For me the biggest thing they learnt was the confidence to use their Irish. They did grammar lessons and practiced the Oral etc but neither would have been confident in speaking in front of each other or other people. Now they're chatting away non-stop and encouraging the rest of the family too.

My 6th year was ill while down there. The staff in Colaiste Acla were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble for them and they facilitated us in every way to ensure he received the treatment and support he needed.

Strongly, strongly recommend Colaiste Acla.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There are 2 on Cape Cleire Island that I went to in my youth one was for everyone and one was for over 16s.
    I loved them and they were brilliant.

I second this. Cape Clear Island is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. The 2 Irish colleges are called Colaiste Chiarain and Colaiste Phobal Cleire. Both are for 12-18 year olds I think.

Went to Coláiste Chiaráin for the second year in a row this year. . In the first year summer exams, I got a D in Irish. After 2 years of going to CC, I got an A in the HL Irish mock, and hope to get an A when the results come out in September. Its great craic, on an island so pleanty of fun in the water. I would say that they are very fair when it comes to speaking Irish, not extremely strict; about average. The teachers are great and the céilís are great fun. There is a mix of sports, so you're not just stuck doing one. The food is nice. You stay in dorms rather than Bean an Tís, and there is about 4-6 to a room.

Would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Uisce is good craic :)

Advertisement