Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging out path...flooded

Options
  • 25-03-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

With the recent dry...ish weather I decided to get a start on the garden. As you can see from the picture I started to dig out the ground for a new path down to the shed and a planted border. Now I knew that the ground was bad but I didn’t realise that it would be this bad!! Basically after the rain on Tuesday night I have up to a foot of water in parts of the trench and it isn’t draining away. The usual builder’s rubble and stuff is in the ground but I think there are large slabs of limestone in the ground. I have looked at the other posts about draining your garden but I think I might have a problem trying to do this in mine. If I can't break out the rock and get down to the subsoil then I think I might be sunk.... First of all can anyone recommend what type of pump I would need to clear out the water so I can try digging some more??? Any advice would be great....Cheers
    [IMG][/img]http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab284/galway_guy/path/?action=view&current=SN201593.jpg[IMG][/img]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It may not be limestone - it could just be very compacted earth. Have you tried a pickaxe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Galway-guy

Yea I have tried pickaxe and crowbar. I am in a limestone area and what I have taken out so far is limestone and concrete/hardcore mix from the builders. The earth was well compacted but two day later and the water level still hasn't fallen. I was hoping that if I get some of the limestone out I might be able to drain it down through the subsoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hmmm.

You might need to get someone in with a pneumatic hammer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Can you get a mini digger around house to back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

C Eng wrote: »
    Can you get a mini digger around house to back garden.

From what I can gather, a mini digger, whilst great when you've to build a large amount of drains can often cause greater problems with compacting soil and stones.

It can sometimes cause more problems than it solves, particularly in a case like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement