Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

iguana wrote: »
    Afaik, codeine had been considered ok until a fairly recent study showed traces of morphine in the milk if the mother took codeine. It was only trace amounts but for very young/small babies it could induce heavier sleep, which could be dangerous.

Yep, this is what I've read too. Codeine is metabolised to morphine.
    I try to avoid it even though my 'baby' is over 2, but if you're ever in doubt, Wendy Jones of the Breastfeeding Network is fab. You can email her (can't link from phone) and she will reply with up to date information about meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I had been told it was safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding by a number of medical professionals but in August this year a study came out that basically concluded that the risk was too high and codeine should be avoided. There may have been other studies that put a question mark over codeine before that but doctors aren't always up to speed on new discoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all.

Just wondering does anyone have any tips for a baby with reflux and wind. We are going to an osteopath but I'm lookin for somethin in the moment when he is in so much pain. Keepin him sittin up works but soon as he's down it hits. Sometimes he doesn't get it at all though. Have second appt Tue and might go to doctor after that if I feel it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Hi all.

Just wondering does anyone have any tips for a baby with reflux and wind. We are going to an osteopath but I'm lookin for somethin in the moment when he is in so much pain. Keepin him sittin up works but soon as he's down it hits. Sometimes he doesn't get it at all though. Have second appt Tue and might go to doctor after that if I feel it's needed.

My lo was the exact same and was having really watery poos and last week my doc told me to watch my diet and it was most likely something im eating that doesnt agree with her. Ive cut out chocolate and junk food in general and shes a different baby. No vomiting and no wind pains. I blame all the bloody biscuits that have been in the house for the 'vistors' coming to see the baba :P other than thay there is a thing called dr. Udo baby formula. Same principal as infacol but its a probiotic mix. Works wonders for wind. Not many chemists have it because it has to be refrigerated but have a look around. :)

Hi all.

Propping up whatever surface he's sleeping on might help, if you haven't tried that already.
    At least 30 minutes upright after each feed. If you have a good sling, it can make keeping them upright a lot easier!
    As a very quick fix, pop him on the boob again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Disaster!! Have about 3 litres of breastmilk frozen, started to thaw some of it to use and its all gone sour! :(
    Its only 1-2 months old. Never had an issue before. Anyone know if you can develop a lipase issue over time?

Drdoc wrote: »
    Disaster!! Have about 3 litres of breastmilk frozen, started to thaw some of it to use and its all gone sour! :(
    Its only 1-2 months old. Never had an issue before. Anyone know if you can develop a lipase issue over time?

I've heard of some people have it as an issue on one baby and not ok another.
    Is this the longest you've stored milk for before? I could be that you have some excess lipase but not loads, and leaving it that little but longer gives the lipase more time to act.
    Some babies don't mind it, so try it before doing anything drastic!
    My son wasn't keen on drinking it, but was fine with it mixed in with weetabix or porridge so if your baby is on foods yet you could use it that way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

liliq wrote: »
    I've heard of some people have it as an issue on one baby and not ok another.
    Is this the longest you've stored milk for before? I could be that you have some excess lipase but not loads, and leaving it that little but longer gives the lipase more time to act.
    Some babies don't mind it, so try it before doing anything drastic!
    My son wasn't keen on drinking it, but was fine with it mixed in with weetabix or porridge so if your baby is on foods yet you could use it that way either.

Thanks liliq, never even thought of trying it in food. He won't touch it in the bottle and in fairness it does smell pretty bad!

Funny thing is I've stored milk for up to 3 months when he was younger without any problems. All the 'bad' milk has only been pumped since he was almost 6 months old. I did find one bag so far that was ok, it was only about 3 weeks old. Will have to have a high turnover in the freezer in future....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Hey just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get baby to dream feed? My little girl usually has a feed at 11 and the sleeps till between 6 and 7 which is great. Lately though she's falling into a deep sleep after her 9.00 feed and I've been waking her to feed at 11/12 as she wakes earlier without that feed. Tonight she didn't wake when I changed her nappy tried to get her to feed but she was to asleep to even realise it was on offer. Hopefully we'll still get a good night's sleep!
    By the way she's 11 weeks old!

Drdoc wrote: »
    Thanks liliq, never even thought of trying it in food. He won't touch it in the bottle and in fairness it does smell pretty bad!

Funny thing is I've stored milk for up to 3 months when he was younger without any problems. All the 'bad' milk has only been pumped since he was almost 6 months old. I did find one bag so far that was ok, it was only about 3 weeks old. Will have to have a high turnover in the freezer in future....

Yeah mine stank as well!
    Ah that's a pain. Hopefully he's willing to give it a go in food!

• Advertisement

lmullen wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get baby to dream feed? My little girl usually has a feed at 11 and the sleeps till between 6 and 7 which is great. Lately though she's falling into a deep sleep after her 9.00 feed and I've been waking her to feed at 11/12 as she wakes earlier without that feed. Tonight she didn't wake when I changed her nappy tried to get her to feed but she was to asleep to even realise it was on offer. Hopefully we'll still get a good night's sleep!
    By the way she's 11 weeks old!

No idea. I found my sons sleep patterns changed so much for the first year nearly though, so your daughters may change for a while and then may go back to the way they were again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

No idea. I found my sons sleep patterns changed so much for the first year nearly though, so your daughters may change for a while and then may go back to the way they were again :)

Well she slept all night! Which is more than can be said about her big sister who is wide awake since 3!its going to be a long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Anybody who's weaned particularly while pregnant: how long until they forgot about boobs? My 17 month old is weaned for 10 weeks now and I'm 27 weeks pregnant so I'm assuming she's smelling my (minute minute amounts of!) colostrum especially at night. She's constantly sticking her hands down my top, she's tried to latch on a few times while we were in shower and still pants if she sees my boobs. That's what she used do if she wanted milk! I feel awful about it but i had to wean my body was under stress (I was getting dehydrated and thyroid was gone very underactive it wasn't "just" pregnancy) and I didn't want to tandem feed either. I'm afraid when baby gets here that she's going to feel baby is stealing "her" boobs. Plus it really hurts when she grabs at them. I stop her and tell her we have to be gentle and she can hold mummy's hand instead but I don't think she really understands. Just hoping there's an end in sight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've renamed my little one Feedy Gonzalez after the past twenty four hours. He's two months now and must be going through a growth spurt cos he's feeding non stop. Met friends for lunch and fed him in the car while waiting for them to arrive so was sure I could get through the meal without having to do a public feed. No such luck! Thankfully he slipped on nice and quietly without making a show of me. I had a venison burger if anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mac2012

I found the 1st four weeks extremely difficult. But it does get easier and has benefits for baby and you! Check out if there s a breast feeding group in your nearest medical centre. We re in Newbridge, Kildare and it has been super help!!

livinsane wrote: »
    I've renamed my little one Feedy Gonzalez after the past twenty four hours. He's two months now and must be going through a growth spurt cos he's feeding non stop. Met friends for lunch and fed him in the car while waiting for them to arrive so was sure I could get through the meal without having to do a public feed. No such luck! Thankfully he slipped on nice and quietly without making a show of me. I had a venison burger if anyone is wondering.

Well done! It's feckin unnerving trying to get them latched on in public when they're so new!
    How was the burger? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

cyning wrote: »
    Anybody who's weaned particularly while pregnant: how long until they forgot about boobs? My 17 month old is weaned for 10 weeks now and I'm 27 weeks pregnant so I'm assuming she's smelling my (minute minute amounts of!) colostrum especially at night. She's constantly sticking her hands down my top, she's tried to latch on a few times while we were in shower and still pants if she sees my boobs. That's what she used do if she wanted milk! I feel awful about it but i had to wean my body was under stress (I was getting dehydrated and thyroid was gone very underactive it wasn't "just" pregnancy) and I didn't want to tandem feed either. I'm afraid when baby gets here that she's going to feel baby is stealing "her" boobs. Plus it really hurts when she grabs at them. I stop her and tell her we have to be gentle and she can hold mummy's hand instead but I don't think she really understands. Just hoping there's an end in sight!!

I weaned my first at 14 months, I was 20 weeks pregnant. We were down to 1 feed at that stage anyway, first thing in morning, so it may have made it easier. She now seems more interested in pulling at my top or messing with my boobs than she ever did while feeding. Although she's interested in them I was surprised how quickly she seemed to forget what they were previously used for, hasn't tried to latch once since, that was 2 months ago.

I think for her pulling at them is a closeness thing and the novelty factor, they only used to mean food, now my nipples are playthings to push in! ;-)

I weaned as I was struggling big time with the tiredness, illness and pain. Feeding her while pregnant was even more sore than those initial few weeks, my nipples were just that sensitive. I do worry how she will react once number 2 arrives, but we're working on it using dolls, hoping she will be happy to copy mummy rather than feel left out, time will tell.

I know she's not missing the feeding and she is so into cuddles now we still have that closeness.

Don't worry, they forget the feeding so easy, now your boobs are play things!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Shout out for the Milk Bank today! http://www.newsfour.ie/2013/12/the-human-milk-bank/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Wow that's really cool! Has anyone ever donated milk? I wonder what the process is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

holding wrote: »
    Shout out for the Milk Bank today! http://www.newsfour.ie/2013/12/the-human-milk-bank/

Not wanting to cause arguments, but it says about half of the milk goes to other counties outside the six making up N. Ireland, how many donors are from the other 26 counties? I would assume more than half considering population numbers alone. Every child helped is a blessing, but is it distributed fairly?

I think we should promote such a great cause more, even one 7oz donation from every bfer would do great work, but it seems very uneven. I get that it is through the NHS and not the HSE, I feel we should lobby for it to be, even a joint effort between the all the counties of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Some of the hospitals south of the border won't allow mothers to use donor milk, which affects the numbers.
    Also simply because its not operated through the hse, a lot of people here don't know about it and so can't ask for donor milk if it would be helpful.
    The cost is huge as well, which is a big factor :/
    It would be so amazing if There was a milk bank facility in ROI.

Some of the hospitals south of the border won't allow mothers to use donor milk, which affects the numbers.
    Also simply because its not operated through the hse, a lot of people here don't know about it and so can't ask for donor milk if it would be helpful.

It should be a nationwide thing. I would bet there are a load of mothers bfing that don't even know it exists and they are staring at freezers with too much milk wondering what to do. Let's face it, it's not like extra chicken fillets you can pawn off to your sister. The HSE need to get their asses in gear!

It should be a nationwide thing. I would bet there are a load of mothers bfing that don't even know it exists and they are staring at freezers with too much milk wondering what to do. Let's face it, it's not like extra chicken fillets you can pawn off to your sister. The HSE need to get their asses in gear!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    100% agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

So glad I managed to get them 3.8 liters (two rogue bottles hid under a tea towel :( )

There should be one in the south, with all the cut backs though it won't be a priority maybe a mass email to local TD's would help

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

It would save them money in the long run though, I read an ESRI report somewhere recently that said subsidised formula cost at least 12 million a year. A milk bank and some lactation consultant salaries would be a drop in the ocean compared to that. Not that I expect forward planning or any kind of evidence based sense from our HSE! :)

Would love to get involved in a lobby for an Irish milk bank. There are a few other groups around, esp on facebook, who would get on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

How was the burger? ;)

Divine!
    holding wrote: »

Just emailed them about donating and cited this thread. If anyone is interested in lobbying for a milk bank in the republic I'd be on board. I've hopefully many more months of breastfeeding ahead of me.

In other news, my little man has started sleeping a stretch between 1am and 5am and tonight, I got 6 hours straight sleep. I feel like I've had a holiday! Just put on a load of washing and pumped a few ounces. That's two less jobs later! And baby went almost straight back to sleep after a nappy change and a few smiles.

Hi all,
    I seem to have developed thrush - have a rash under one breast and a few spots near the nipple. Annoyingly when baby was diagnosed with oral thrush and I asked if I should be treated too she said no and it was pretty much 2days later my rash appeared! Anyway I won't be able to see gp till mon so til then does anyone have any advice? I've been taking the itch down with canesten cream. Just making sure to wash it off before feeding. How long should I expect it to take to go away?

Cut right back on sugar consumption, and boil wash bras.
    What are you using on your little on? If its daktarin, you can use that topically on yourself also rather than having to wash off canasten.
    Hopefully you've caught it early and it clears soon for you :)

• Advertisement

Cut right back on sugar consumption, and boil wash bras.
    What are you using on your little on? If its daktarin, you can use that topically on yourself also rather than having to wash off canasten.
    Hopefully you've caught it early and it clears soon for you :)

Thanks for that liliq. Good idea with the bras wouldn't have thought of that. I'm using nystatin on baby it's a liquid though rather than a cream. Seems to be going down already so really hoping I don't have to go back to doc!

Advertisement