Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

You poor thing Kandr10 and at this time of the year too, so hard to get a gp. Hope it has cleared up a bit. Can't believe they didn't give you a prescription at same time as babs - did they not expect your boob to have further contact with her mouth?! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

holding wrote: »
    You poor thing Kandr10 and at this time of the year too, so hard to get a gp. Hope it has cleared up a bit. Can't believe they didn't give you a prescription at same time as babs - did they not expect your boob to have further contact with her mouth?! Madness.

I know! I had read online that that's what's recommended. When I asked she said no so you're kinda thinking well they know best. It's calmed down a lot but think ill still go back on mon see if they can give anything stronger than the canesten.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Hi ladies, I really hope someone can offer me some advice. Have a nine month old and heading back to work tomorrow :(. My wee girl is extremely clingy, have been trying to wean her onto bottles for the past few months but not working well at all.
    I have been leaving her to my sister-in-law a few days a week for a few hours in Dec and it she was starting to get used of her but didn't want to be near her if it went anymore than an hour or two. Anyway have left her to new babysitter for 2 hours today and yesterday, will only work for 3-4 hours tomorrow and for the next few weeks. Just wondering how long will it take her to adjust to someone new. She screamed solid for the 2 hours the past two days. So worried that she is going to be inconsolable for the full time tomorrow. This lady has her own wee baby with her too so concerned that she will get tired of her very quick, I have been told that it takes a baby 2 weeks to get to know someone new, anyone know if this is true.
    I do intend to continue to breastfeed in the mornings, evenings and at night. Just need her to take bottles during the day.
    Sorry about the long drawn out post but feel a bit at my wits end today with panic for tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

Sorry to hear things are tough before going back to work. Its never easy starting back. I'm not too sure how long it takes to settle in with a new childminder, but my first boy was about the same age when he started in creche. It always does take a while to settle, but they will settle.
    eimerom wrote: »
    I do intend to continue to breastfeed in the mornings, evenings and at night. Just need her to take bottles during the day.
    Sorry about the long drawn out post but feel a bit at my wits end today with panic for tomorrow. :(

I pumped in work at break time every single day to send in milk for him (in a sippy cup. Neither of my two would take a bottle). Every single day the cup was emptied down the sink. He just wouldnt take it. He made up for it as soon as we came home together in the evenings. It was tough but a lovely bonding experience after being separated for the day.

witchity2 wrote: »
    I pumped in work at break time every single day to send in milk for him (in a sippy cup. Neither of my two would take a bottle). Every single day the cup was emptied down the sink. He just wouldnt take it. He made up for it as soon as we came home together in the evenings. It was tough but a lovely bonding experience after being separated for the day.

Thank you for the advice. I tried her with sippy cup too but she doesn't like that either. She was drinking 2-3 ounces from the bottle for my sis-in-law when she was left with her long enough but it was a massive struggle she told me. I hadn't really intended in expressing at work. My little one basically sucks all night as it is so was thinking of letting go of the daytime feeds plus where I work just isn't ideal for expressing. The screaming is awful. She never cries at all at home and the wee monster managed to keep it up for 2 full hours for the babysitter. I just really hope she settles fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would you consider not giving a bottle at all during the day? My 8 month old daughter is in crèche fulltime and I'm still breastfeeding. I feed her around 5.30/6am, as soon as I bring her home around 5.30 and once more at bedtime which is 6.30. She's typically waking 3-4 times for night feeds but she was doing this before starting crèche anyway.

I followed the advice of dr jack newman and I get the crèche to offer her lots of food during the day and water from a doidy cup.

I did the very same with my son and it all worked out fine. I weaned him at 12 months onto cows milk and I never had to worry about getting him off bottles.

I'm sure she'll settle for the childminder soon but at 9 months she's very aware of the different environment and being separated from you so it will take a little while. I'm sure the childminder is aware of that.

Also would you start using a lovey with her and then send it with her to the childminder? It might help reassure her.

Would you consider not giving a bottle at all during the day? My 8 month old daughter is in crèche fulltime and I'm still breastfeeding. I feed her around 5.30/6am, as soon as I bring her home around 5.30 and once more at bedtime which is 6.30. She's typically waking 3-4 times for night feeds but she was doing this before starting crèche anyway.

I followed the advice of dr jack newman and I get the crèche to offer her lots of food during the day and water from a doidy cup.

I did the very same with my son and it all worked out fine. I weaned him at 12 months onto cows milk and I never had to worry about getting him off bottles.

I'm sure she'll settle for the childminder soon but at 9 months she's very aware of the different environment and being separated from you so it will take a little while. I'm sure the childminder is aware of that.
    Thank you so much for your reply, great to see someone who has went through something similar. That would be my ideal situation if she would do that and I will def give it a go. She is still feeding off me several times during the day so the transition is going to be huge for her. That is why I have reduced my hours at work for the first 3 weeks or so and see how that goes and lengthen my time away from her gradually. Your situation has really given me hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was going to say similar to what how strange has said. I really wouldn't worry about bottles and expressing at this stage. Physically she'll be just fine with water and whatever food she fancies, and lots of cuddles and a little time and patience and she'll be flying.
    It's stressful heading back to work and trying to figure out feeds on top of everything else, but you will find a little pattern that works for you as you go along. It's ideal that you can go back for shorter hours and build it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Hi guys, quick question. I've come down with a bad cold/flu. I have been sick for two days and last night my baby (who's usually a good sleeper) was up half the night crying and wanting to feed. Today she wants to feed very often and is somewhat unsettled. Any ideas what's going on?
    Could my milk supply be reduced because of the illness? If so, should I think about topping up with formula?! I'd hate to see her go hungry...

• Advertisement

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question. I've come down with a bad cold/flu. I have been sick for two days and last night my baby (who's usually a good sleeper) was up half the night crying and wanting to feed. Today she wants to feed very often and is somewhat unsettled. Any ideas what's going on?
    Could my milk supply be reduced because of the illness? If so, should I think about topping up with formula?! I'd hate to see her go hungry...

Did you take any meds for the cold/flu?
    It could be just coincidence, your baby might be having a growth spurt at the same time as you're sick/ recovering- Murphy's law and all that!
    If she's nursing plenty, having her wet & dirty nappies, I would t worry about supply.
    Your body will prioritise making plenty of milk for her so it would be very unusual for supply to just drop even if you're sick.
    If you're worried, and if its possible for you, maybe use being sick as an excuse to take to bed/ couch as much as possible with her and let her feed as much as she wants- if there are any niggly supply issues that would more than likely see you right.
    Hope you're better soon :( sick and minding baby is no fun at all

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

liliq wrote: »
    Did you take any meds for the cold/flu?
    It could be just coincidence, your baby might be having a growth spurt at the same time as you're sick/ recovering- Murphy's law and all that!
    If she's nursing plenty, having her wet & dirty nappies, I would t worry about supply.
    Your body will prioritise making plenty of milk for her so it would be very unusual for supply to just drop even if you're sick.
    If you're worried, and if its possible for you, maybe use being sick as an excuse to take to bed/ couch as much as possible with her and let her feed as much as she wants- if there are any niggly supply issues that would more than likely see you right.
    Hope you're better soon :( sick and minding baby is no fun at all

Hi there. Just taking Lemsip so there should be no issues there.
    On the couch now ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Anyone have any issues with exclusively breastfed newborn having problems pooing? He does go but it's not runny at all and every few days he struggles for the night and then cries in pain. He's so peaceful then when he's after going!! He's 7 weeks now!

Anyone have any issues with exclusively breastfed newborn having problems pooing? He does go but it's not runny at all and every few days he struggles for the night and then cries in pain. He's so peaceful then when he's after going!! He's 7 weeks now!

The poor lad :(

Mention it to your phn but I wouldn't supplement with brown sugar or anything if he's exclusively breastfed.
    You could always email dr jack newman for a bit of reassurance/advice.

By the way is there anything in your diet that could be affecting him?

On the couch now ;-)

It's a rule that Breastfeeding mums have the remote control power, by the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Yup! I was getting advised brown sugar and water by everyone but the paedeatricians (and my PHN and GP), all said no... we were in a&e with constipation at 4 weeks and had tests at 10 weeks: she had high calcium levels so it wasnt serious, but wouldnt have resolved on its own. We had problems from day one (well day two when we were waiting for a poo to come home from hosp), so we ended up on a constant dose of lactulose and supposotories to keep things moving. Its uncommon for a breastfed baby but not impossible ;) She used scream and screech in pain, it was awful... id definitely mention it to GP especially if its going on awhile.

Is it hard poo? Or lumpy?
    Some babies seem to make a lot more work of pooping than others, maybe he finds it a little more difficult?

Thanks guys. Ringing phn in mornin. I'm eating all the same stuff so don't think it's anything I'm eating. It's not hard as such but it's not smooth and runny. It's just seeds. Twice he has screamed in pain. Other times just moans for hours! Other times no problem!!

Thanks guys. Ringing phn in mornin. I'm eating all the same stuff so don't think it's anything I'm eating. It's not hard as such but it's not smooth and runny. It's just seeds. Twice he has screamed in pain. Other times just moans for hours! Other times no problem!!

Like mustardy?
    Seedy poo is perfect breast milk poo :)

• Advertisement

Poor little guy red fraggle. Hope it resolves itself soon for you and him.

My lo doesn't seem to poo very often - shed go maybe a week then do 2or3. Is this normal? She's not straining at all and they're nice and runny. I feel like its just what's normal for her. I said it at the 6week check up and doctor said she should be going every day and to give her sugar and water. Bit reluctant to go down that route though.

kandr10 wrote: »
    Poor little guy red fraggle. Hope it resolves itself soon for you and him.

My lo doesn't seem to poo very often - shed go maybe a week then do 2or3. Is this normal? She's not straining at all and they're nice and runny. I feel like its just what's normal for her. I said it at the 6week check up and doctor said she should be going every day and to give her sugar and water. Bit reluctant to go down that route though.

A week is fine for a breastfed baby, up to 10 days is surprisingly common :) they digest the vast majority of the milk so completely that there's just not all that much left to poo out!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

On the couch now ;-)

There is a lot of caffine in lemsip and so it's not recommended for breast feeding mothers . I'm just over a cold myself and took honey and lemon in hot water instead

Idrive wrote: »
    There is a lot of caffine in lemsip and so it's not recommended for breast feeding mothers . I'm just over a cold myself and took honey and lemon in hot water instead

Caffeine is fine for Breastfeeding mothers

A week is fine for a breastfed baby, up to 10 days is surprisingly common :) they digest the vast majority of the milk so completely that there's just not all that much left to poo out!

Good to get the reassurance it's not just our baby!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Good to get the reassurance it's not just our baby!

It's definitely not just your baby!
    Keep spare vest & baby grow in your changing bag though, when it finally comes it's always an experience!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Did anyone else have trouble around the twelve week mark? Baby's sleep has gone to pot and it could be a number of things causing it. He definitely went through a "wonder week" as he rapidly developed in a number of ways. It could be a growth spurt. He also has, what I think is, very light thrush on his mouth (light white coating on the tongue and a few white spots on the lower lip) - I've been dabbing a solution of baking soda and water on his mouth and my nipples after feeds. I also think wind is bothering him when he sleeps because he pulls his legs up to his belly when he cries. When he's awake he farts away to his hearts content but it is disturbing his sleep. I'm going to cut chocolate out of my diet completely to see if it helps. Thankfully he's gone from waking every hour to sleeping till 3am but after that, he'll only settle properly in my arms.

livinsane wrote: »
    Did anyone else have trouble around the twelve week mark? Baby's sleep has gone to pot and it could be a number of things causing it. He definitely went through a "wonder week" as he rapidly developed in a number of ways. It could be a growth spurt. He also has, what I think is, very light thrush on his mouth (light white coating on the tongue and a few white spots on the lower lip) - I've been dabbing a solution of baking soda and water on his mouth and my nipples after feeds. I also think wind is bothering him when he sleeps because he pulls his legs up to his belly when he cries. When he's awake he farts away to his hearts content but it is disturbing his sleep. I'm going to cut chocolate out of my diet completely to see if it helps. Thankfully he's gone from waking every hour to sleeping till 3am but after that, he'll only settle properly in my arms.

I'd bet on a growth spurt, bang on the 3 month mark. It's a long ish one, can last around a week.
    Daktarin oral gel might be worth asking a breastfeeding savvy gp/ phn about, and because its oral you can use it on yourself topically and not have to worry about wiping it off for feeds. Are you having any discomfort yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'd bet on a growth spurt, bang on the 3 month mark. It's a long ish one, can last around a week.
    Daktarin oral gel might be worth asking a breastfeeding savvy gp/ phn about, and because its oral you can use it on yourself topically and not have to worry about wiping it off for feeds. Are you having any discomfort yourself?

No discomfort myself thankfully. It's actually nearly cleared from his mouth now and I've been dabbing it on myself. I read that eating active yogurt can help prevent it too. Setting the phn on Tuesday so hopefully she can help. Thanks for the tip, I will ask about that gel.

The no sleeping started St Stephen's Day so over two weeks but we had a good night last night and he slept a 3 hour stretch twice. I had to change our sleeping arrangements but I won't complain. First morning I haven't been wrecked. Thankfully the joys of the day make up for the troubles of the night!

• Advertisement

livinsane wrote: »
    No discomfort myself thankfully. It's actually nearly cleared from his mouth now and I've been dabbing it on myself. I read that eating active yogurt can help prevent it too. Setting the phn on Tuesday so hopefully she can help. Thanks for the tip, I will ask about that gel.

The no sleeping started St Stephen's Day so over two weeks but we had a good night last night and he slept a 3 hour stretch twice. I had to change our sleeping arrangements but I won't complain. First morning I haven't been wrecked. Thankfully the joys of the day make up for the troubles of the night!

Sounds like you've everything we'll under control! Well done :)
    Ah yeah, anything to get sleep!

Advertisement