Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Folks,grateful for your help/advice.

I have twins, 5 weeks old tomorrow. Initially I was able to get them to latch on, but my milk was not fully in and they needed bottles to supplement. Then we had a couple of hard days due to colic and they just didn't want to feed with me so got bottles exclusively for 3 days. After that they simply refused to breastfeed.

I was hoping to at least express one feed each per day. I have a hospital grade pump hired. But it has been so disheartening - I am getting next to nothing. I probably haven't been disciplined enough pumping as often as I should, but having twins with colic and constipation makes routines and scheduled expressing sessions tough! Then because the results have been so disheartening I find myself less inclined to even bother trying.

I really want to give this one last go, but wonder have I missed my chance? I still get milk at the letdown stage but then it just seems to stop. If I give this one final effort do I have any chance of my milk fully coming in? Or have I missed the boat?

If it's not too late, what can I do to help myself and improve the flow? I am feeling like a bit of a failure right now, so any advice you can offer will be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Ye are all awesome. :o I had honestly pretty much given up completely til I read your replies just now!

Really, I had completely underestimated the psychological impact that the birth etc would have on me. For me, I can see that it's all being manifested in the whole breastfeeding issue. I know breastfeeding is best, but I can't shake the irrational illogical fear that my boob milk is making him sick. :o I know it's stupid, but knowing that doesn't stop me thinking it!

Really great you are feeling more confident now, but you are wrong about your milk v formula. Formula is an ok substitute for bm if you must but your milk is perfect for your baby always.
    Try to hold you baby upright for a little while after nursing, resting against you is best tummy to tummy. my niece spewed and spewed when bf as a little baby, but there is never as much as it seems. more likely is that your baby is drinking more then what they need. as we tend to feed more with formula then needed. this is a useful image. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YUMeGSTdktk/UgkA5EORCaI/AAAAAAAABds/X0R_QWHo404/s1600/Baby+Stomach+Size.png
    Always worth having your little on checked for tongue-tie as it can affect how they feed. Your local cuidiu/lll is a god place to start.
    Try laid back nursing to see if it can calm him and make it easier on you both:
    laid-back breastfeeding (mothers leaning back with all body parts well supported and their babies lying tummy down on their semireclined bodies), the dynamics were very different. Gravity kept their babies’ bodies securely against theirs so no gaps could form and feeding triggers were continuous rather than interrupted. There were far fewer breastfeeding struggles, and the mothers perceived breastfeeding more positively. One reason may be that in laid-back positions, mothers were freed from supporting their babies’ weight with their arms. One of these mothers said, “Breastfeeding is so easy. I wish more of my friends were doing it.”
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/laid-back-breastfeeding

IT is so worth it once you get over the initial struggle. My boy is almost 3 and after a very slow and hard start we are still nursing.

I have twins, 5 weeks old tomorrow. Initially I was able to get them to latch on, but my milk was not fully in and they needed bottles to supplement. Then we had a couple of hard days due to colic and they just didn't want to feed with me so got bottles exclusively for 3 days. After that they simply refused to breastfeed.

I was hoping to at least express one feed each per day. I have a hospital grade pump hired. But it has been so disheartening - I am getting next to nothing. I probably haven't been disciplined enough pumping as often as I should, but having twins with colic and constipation makes routines and scheduled expressing sessions tough! Then because the results have been so disheartening I find myself less inclined to even bother trying.

I really want to give this one last go, but wonder have I missed my chance? I still get milk at the letdown stage but then it just seems to stop. If I give this one final effort do I have any chance of my milk fully coming in? Or have I missed the boat?

If it's not too late, what can I do to help myself and improve the flow? I am feeling like a bit of a failure right now, so any advice you can offer will be very welcome.

Well done for trying. have you spoken to la leche league or cuidiu in your area, always a good place to start.
    drop the scheduling and routine ideas for now. and go to bed with the babies, you naked.Give them plenty of boob access for a day if you can and try to express after you nurse o build supply. there is lots of support on kellymom and dr jack newmans .
    I know there is at lest one mom bfing twins in the extended bf group on facebook and the one who has re-lactated after a few weeks. pm me if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Lynski has given some great advice.
    Twins are a whole different ball game to one baby. I'd really suggest maybe having a visit with an Ibclc lactation consultant (www.alcireland.ie), or seeking a la leche league leader or Cuidiu breastfeeding counsellor who's had twins themselves. I know there's a LLL leader in naas. You can call her even if you're not in her area.
    I can't imagine any part of having twins is particularly easy, but if you want to get them back to breast it's certainly doable with determination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Breast feeding for 3 months now. So proud :D feels like only yesterday I was sitting on my bed naked trying to get baba to feed while being a complete hormonal mess because she wouldn't 😠when I was pregnant I was so reluctant to bf, because im a single mammy and thought id never get any freedom, now im worrying about supply all the time because I cant imagine giving it up and know Ill be really upset when I have to. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Hello Lady, lynksi's bed idea is a great one I think :)

Gather all the things you'll need, nappies, muslins, plenty of water/snacks (all the better if you've someone to deliver them!), some entertainment for you -books, TV , whatever, and if you can have the house warm so you can have plenty of skin to skin contact with the babies. They will instinctively root for the nipple and any suckling will help with your supply. Be a human dodie! And if you have your pinkie nails short, if they do latch and it's not great you can break the vacuum to relatch without hurting your nipples.

And as liliq says twins is a whole different ball game so no harm in getting some extra help and advice to get through the early days. They have great advice on everything to do with feeding twins.

And hats off to you. Your babies are lucky to have you :)

Madisson wrote: »
    Breast feeding for 3 months now. So proud :D feels like only yesterday I was sitting on my bed naked trying to get baba to feed while being a complete hormonal mess because she wouldn't 😠when I was pregnant I was so reluctant to bf, because im a single mammy and thought id never get any freedom, now im worrying about supply all the time because I cant imagine giving it up and know Ill be really upset when I have to. :(

Three months is great - they say at three months you wonder why anyone would ever ff.
    no need to worry about stopping, you can adapt Over time, plenty of moms nurse only morning and night, or even around shift work. Your body is very adaptable and so is your baby.
    Seek out support, this thread is fine but is not enough alone. Cuidiu or lll are very good sources and don't believe the rumours - they welcome all moms. Also excellent support groups on FB and the patenting sites for more focused support as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

You definitely haven't missed your chance. Great advice already given. Take babies into bed, lots of skin to skin. Also if you get a chance check out the Facebook groups 'breastfeeding twins in ireland'. Lots of support there. I bf my twins til 5.5 months, not easy, best of luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Hi ladies I'm due in a few weeks I was just wondering would it be a good idea to buy some nipple shields to have at the ready in case the baby has trouble latching on? Or am I just being overly worried and cautious? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hi ladies I'm due in a few weeks I was just wondering would it be a good idea to buy some nipple shields to have at the ready in case the baby has trouble latching on? Or am I just being overly worried and cautious? :D

I'd say no need to buy them, but make sure you know where they can be bought if needed. The lactation consultant I saw in Holles St said the Medela brand ones are by far the best. So maybe make sure your partner knows a chemist where they have them in stock, just in case.

Honestly they made all the difference in the world for me. He couldn't latch on no matter how hard he tried without them - he latched on perfectly first time using the shields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I wouldn't bother... And I needed to use them for awhile! Firstly compared to not needing them they are an awful faff, so fingers crossed you don't! And secondly they can come in different sizes etc and I've learnt my lesson for this time: my nipples got MASSIVE from 37/8 weeks on so the size that might suit now mightn't suit when you give birth. I do however have lansinoh and multi mam compresses in my hospital bag just in case, because the first few days can be sore.

Blueskye wrote: »
    You definitely haven't missed your chance. Great advice already given. Take babies into bed, lots of skin to skin. Also if you get a chance check out the Facebook groups 'breastfeeding twins in ireland'. Lots of support there. I bf my twins til 5.5 months, not easy, best of luck x

Thanks to all for the advice. I have contacted my local bf counsellor but it went to voicemail. Hopefully she will phone tomorrow. I was hoping to follow the advice and spend the day skin to skin tomorrow, but my family member who has been helping me with the twins took sick today and is now in hospital so I am all alone tomorrow and I just don't think I will manage spending all day nursing, but I will still try to get a few hours in. Hubby will be around all day Saturday so the plan is to go to bed Fri night, just me and the girls, hubby will sleep in the spare room and then all Saturday I will spend the day in bed with them. At feeding times, if it gets too much and I am still having trouble bf hubby will help out with bottle feeds.

Another problem I have is that the twins just absolutely hate nursing together. Even with pillows and all different positions, one always has a fit. So I end up with them feeding separately. Also, even if I can get them to tandem feed, I can't tandem wind and change nappies and then it all kicks off! So for our lifestyle expressing and bottle feeding suits better. Can your milk flow stay at a decent level if you are primarily expressing with only one or two skin to skin feeds? How often do you need to be expressing each day to keep your supply up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's great to see all the new breastfeeding mums here. Hello Lady my friend breastfed her twins for a year so it's definitely doable. I'm sure feeding twins is time consuming no matter how you feed them.

A is 9 months next week, I'm back at work over 2 months and we're still going strong. She had the flu and a chest infection this week and was very out of sorts and breastfeeding is such a huge reassurance at times like that. Firstly even if she won't eat she wants breastmilk so I know she's getting fluids and it also helps her fight the illness.

We'll keep going to 1 year just like with her brother and we'll see after that.

I was so distracted getting ready this morning that I gave her O's sippy cup of warm cows milk. She was delighted with herself until I took it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Wow well done you hello lady! It's a hard enough thing to get the hand of with just one! Fair play to ya :-)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Wow well done you hello lady! It's a hard enough thing to get the hand of with just one! Fair play to ya :-)

That's the problem - I don't have the hang of it at all!

That's the problem - I don't have the hang of it at all!

But you're giving it your best shot and you're so motivated! Those babies are lucky to have a mammy like you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My little one cut her first tooth today! 5mths old. I'm sort of nervous. I'd finished bfing before no1 had cut teeth so I'm not sure what to expect. She hasn't ever chewed or anything. The only thing now is that she hasn't taken her night time bottle tonight. She just wants to nurse. That's fine. As long as that's the only change.

I kinda know about discouraging biting (a lot like discouraging a bad latch I presume). But is there anything I should know? From those who've been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

nicowa wrote: »
    My little one cut her first tooth today! 5mths old. I'm sort of nervous. I'd finished bfing before no1 had cut teeth so I'm not sure what to expect. She hasn't ever chewed or anything. The only thing now is that she hasn't taken her night time bottle tonight. She just wants to nurse. That's fine. As long as that's the only change.

I kinda know about discouraging biting (a lot like discouraging a bad latch I presume). But is there anything I should know? From those who've been there?

The worst thing I found about the teething was the week or two, or especially the 2 days before, the tooth actually broke through. Once those enzymes were out of the saliva, it was fine. Latch might be a little off for a few days while baby adjusts to the feels of a new tooth but will be fine again just as quick, if there's any change at all.

Biting... I found from some Facebook groups (you might already be in them), that around 8 months is prime biting time and it's fairly easily discouraged by unlatching and just saying no, if it even happens. So don't worry about that for a while yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A has 2 teeth since 7 months and she only started biting me this week. I think it's because age was all bunged up and couldn't breathe while feeding and/or she's teething again with the top front ones.

I found rubbing a bit of teething gel on before feeding helps.

My son was far worse for clamping down around 8 months. He got his first tooth at 11 months and we stopped at 12 months so I only had one bite and that was done in the middle of the night too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Is it common to get more milk from one boob than the other? When expressing I seem to get nearly twice as much milk from my right one! Anything can be done to even them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Is it common to get more milk from one boob than the other? When expressing I seem to get nearly twice as much milk from my right one! Anything can be done to even them up?

Yes, it is very common, with me it is my left side. When I express I get three times as much from that one than my right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

My boy is on day 7 of no poos, I have read that breast feed babies can go up to 10 days but my Doc wants to see him on Fri if nothing has happened by then. She wants to give him a suppository at that point. We are having problems with wind/discomfort all through the night and I have given him 10ml of cooled boiled water the last two days but nothing has seemed to relieve it. I've also been giving him a drop of infcol at feeds as instructed by the midwife but I'm now not sure for how long he's meant to be on it.

Any suggestions on how to get things moving?

Also, any suggestions for where best to get nursing bras online?

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    My boy is on day 7 of no poos, I have read that breast feed babies can go up to 10 days but my Doc wants to see him on Fri if nothing has happened by then. She wants to give him a suppository at that point. We are having problems with wind/discomfort all through the night and I have given him 10ml of cooled boiled water the last two days but nothing has seemed to relieve it. I've also been giving him a drop of infcol at feeds as instructed by the midwife but I'm now not sure for how long he's meant to be on it.

Any suggestions on how to get things moving?

Also, any suggestions for where best to get nursing bras online?

I had the same concern since baby was six weeks. She would poo once a week to ten days also. When I brought her for six week checkup my doc said its not regular enough and to give her sugar and water. I never bothered cos she filled a nappy that day but she's been in the same cycle since ( she's now 11 weeks). I was assured from posting here that it happens a lot of breastfed babies. She doesn't strain and doesn't seem bothered by not going often and when she does its very loose so no worries about constipation.

If you wanted to try something maybe the sugar and water would be good before a suppository. If you don't think it's bothering him leave it and see how things pan out.

As the previous poster says, if it's not bothering him I wouldn't take too much action as it's quite normal for breastfed babies. But if he's in discomfort or seems to be straining to go, try brown sugar in water (1 teaspoon to 2oz sterile water) a few times a day. A few ounces of warm sterile water through the day also to soften his stools to make it easier to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Again don't worry (easier said I know) my fella was like that, very normal. As long as his tummy isn't too taut you're ok.

I did give a suppository once as it was over the 10 day mark and he exploded with poo in about 5 minutes and it was no bother to give. I went to baby message after that and she showed me a reflexology technique to get him to poo and if I am worried now (he's 7 months) I do it and a few hours later hey presto!

Sweet pea how old is baby? After 4-6 weeks that can be totally normal. Before that it can be a bit of a worry but normally is nothing to worry about if baby is having plenty of wet nappies and gaining weight. In terms of easing discomfort a bath and baby massage are great. Also lots of tummy time (doesn't have to be on the ground can be across your knees, on your belly with you both lying down). I found a sling great too. We were advised no sugar water by paediatricians so go by your GPs advice on it.

Keep an eye on Zulily for the hot milk nursing bras they are lovely and great reductions! Other then that make sure your measured properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I second the recommendation of getting hot milk bras. They're comfy and actually look pretty!

Feeling wrecked after 3 nights of very little sleep. I'm being used as a human soother at night; not only is it tiring but it's hurting my nipples! I ended up buying soothers today. I'm going to try and get through the night without using one but at least it's there if I'm really cracking up. My boy was doing great before this, only waking every 4 hours at night for feeds. Just when I thought I had a dream baby he decides to start partying at night :(

I always say I wouldn't have kept feeding without using a soother. She literally would have latched on 22 of the 24 hours in the day otherwise. It might just be a growth spurt though? If it is hold off on them for a day or two it's their way of building your supply.

Can I ask for anyone who had issues feeding with a first baby did they have the same problems second time round? C wouldn't latch on my right side for the first few weeks without a shield (fine on left side) unless I was lying down. My nipple points to the side a bit. Wondering should I have shields on standby just in case but afraid of jinxing myself at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Still no poo so I might try the sugar water later, I do think the water was helping relive the wind a bit. He does seem to get quite agitated at times but I think that's wind more than constipated. I don't think he is constipated as such. Started doing that massage on him too which I think is helping.

Finally signed up to that Zuilly, the bras do look lovely and are a great price but the sizes are crap, I know they are doing short term offers but do the ever have a bigger range of sizes?

Also, I don't think I'd have nipples left if I hadn't given him a soother, they have been a complete lifesaver for giving me a brief break.

• Advertisement

They only have clearance offers today :) bits of everything! They normally would have a much better choice and choice of sizes. They mightn't pop up for awhile though.

Advertisement