Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I found she wont take a bottle for me but if I go out of the house she will take it. Think she knows mammys not there and she gets hungry so there isnt any other option and when she gets hungry enough she goes for gold on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

It's her dad or my sister in law who have tried to get her to take bottles with me out of the house with no joy! She's still not sleeping through the night although I am thinking that the middle of the night feed is purely for the cuddle as she only feeds for a few mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Ah thats a pain. My lo is terrible with the bottle but will take it if shes desperate enough. Haha try the sippy cup then and fingers crossed. U NEED some mammy alone time :) im the same with the night feed. She will wake up once but feeds for 2 mins. Think its a reassurance thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kathleenc92

It's very hard to get a break while breastfeeding and you definitely need it cause parenting is stressful! My little girl sleeps through sometimes and only drinks for a minute or two when she does wake also, I've been advised to give her water to "train" her to sleep through but tbh I don't mind the night feeds. I love when she's cuddly and sleepy. She will do it in her own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Help!!! Dying with flu type pains in every single part of my body! I know the answer is paracetamol only but any other tips!

Also my 14 week old has been waking at 3 and very hard to get him to sleep again. It's like his belly is not comfortable! Also has green poo now! I'll be ringing doc tomorrow but just wondering has anyone come across this? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Neurofen the regular one not neurofen plus is fine when breastfeeding... Good news is baba will be getting your antibodies so should avoid it!!!

As for green poos too much foremilk not enough hind milk is normally what people say but I'm not really sure aside from that: try to keep him longer on one side to empty the breast?

cyning wrote: »
    Neurofen the regular one not neurofen plus is fine when breastfeeding... Good news is baba will be getting your antibodies so should avoid it!!!

As for green poos too much foremilk not enough hind milk is normally what people say but I'm not really sure aside from that: try to keep him longer on o!ne side to empty the breast?

Cool I didn't know that. Must get some tomorrow. Yeah I read about the foremilk thing. I've been expressing every mornin and I think somehow things have gone wrong so I'm stopping that for a few days to see. 3 o clock every night he starts whinging and doesn't stop until the mornin! If I feed him before 6 he tends to do few mins only so I don. Like doing that as he's not hungry. Hopefully it will settle. Goin on a few days now and we are all extremely tired! Tried calpol last night but didn't seem to help!

As for green poos too much foremilk not enough hind milk is normally what people say but I'm not really sure aside from that: try to keep him longer on o!ne side to empty the breast?

Cool I didn't know that. Must get some tomorrow. Yeah I read about the foremilk thing. I've been expressing every mornin and I think somehow things have gone wrong so I'm stopping that for a few days to see. 3 o clock every night he starts whinging and doesn't stop until the mornin! If I feed him before 6 he tends to do few mins only so I don. Like doing that as he's not hungry. Hopefully it will settle. Goin on a few days now and we are all extremely tired! Tried calpol last night but didn't seem to help!

My little girl was much more efficient at feeding at night: so what would take half an hour during the day would take 5 minutes at night. I thought she was comfort suckling until I left her over night and needed to express express express! It's hard to know what's right though.

If you have an iPhone there's a free app called lactmed which tells you what meds are sutible when breastfeeding and what's not... It's really handy!

Cool thanks! I'll get my husband to get it for me. In general hes great at feeding but the last few nights and days he seems slow. Hes just waking at 3 and hes not hungry. Just whinges and right out the dummie. I think it's his belly but I don't know. Sometimes it's really hard with Breastfeeding and guessing what's up! In general my little girl was grand. Had wind but I knew what to do! I just haven't figured the little man out yet. I thought I had but then the last week happened! So tired too. Headin to bed in a few mins even though he's already mooching!

• Advertisement

Cool thanks! I'll get my husband to get it for me. In general hes great at feeding but the last few nights and days he seems slow. Hes just waking at 3 and hes not hungry. Just whinges and right out the dummie. I think it's his belly but I don't know. Sometimes it's really hard with Breastfeeding and guessing what's up! In general my little girl was grand. Had wind but I knew what to do! I just haven't figured the little man out yet. I thought I had but then the last week happened! So tired too. Headin to bed in a few mins even though he's already mooching!

Gripe water?

I have myself convinced this baba is going to be so much easier than C when it gets out of my belly... She was so colicky and constipated and the pains that went with it... So fingers crossed you find something that works soon it's exhausting.

Gripe water?

I have myself convinced this baba is going to be so much easier than C when it gets out of my belly... She was so colicky and constipated and the pains that went with it... So fingers crossed you find something that works soon it's exhausting.

I'm going to try him with gripe water again see if it helps at all. His poo is starting to turn back a bit yellow now. He's had 3 today!!!

Also went to doc myself. I have mastitis! I'm in bed dying. Thank God for my mammy! And my 2 year old has sore throat the poor thing.

Gripe water?

I'm going to try him with gripe water again see if it helps at all. His poo is starting to turn back a bit yellow now. He's had 3 today!!!

Also went to doc myself. I have mastitis! I'm in bed dying. Thank God for my mammy! And my 2 year old has sore throat the poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Red fraggle, can you pin point why your little fella is so windy? Did you eat anything different in the last few days. I are hummus when my son was 11 weeks and I had blocked ducts within hours as he couldn't feed properly.

Red fraggle, can you pin point why your little fella is so windy? Did you eat anything different in the last few days. I are hummus when my son was 11 weeks and I had blocked ducts within hours as he couldn't feed properly.

He has been windy since he was born. And I can't figure it out. I'm wondering could it be dairy. But he is thriving other than the wind so I really don't know.

Your mastitis is probably because of his wind as it's probably not letting him feed as well as usual. The green poo is most probably a sign of that too.
    It's something you'll have to be vigilant about from now on. I've had no problems with my daughter except for the first few days but with my son I had blocked ducts a few times but I got very good at realising it quickly.

Was he ever checked for tongue tie?

It's just strange for a 14 week old to not feed efficiently enough for you to get mastitis.

Your mastitis is probably because of his wind. s it's probably not letting him feed as well as usual. The green poo is most probably a sign of that too.
    It's something you'll have to be vigilant about from now on. I've had no problems with my daughter except for the first few days but with my son I had blocked ducts a few times but I got very good at realising it quickly.

It's just strange for a 14 week old to not feed efficiently enough for you to get mastitis.

I thought so too. And I've had no problems up until now. I think maybe I messed up somehow by expressing but not sure how!! Would I be able recognise tongue tie?

Just wondering for tomorrow should I let him have 2 feeds out of the sore side to see if it will help clear it? And then go back to normal? He only ever feeds one side at a time.

He has had long feeds from the sore side today but it's still the same. It's big and sore and no feed due til 6am!!! But I don't want to make it worse either

Any tips appreciated

Your mastitis is probably because of his wind. s it's probably not letting him feed as well as usual. The green poo is most probably a sign of that too.

I thought so too. And I've had no problems up until now. I think maybe I messed up somehow by expressing but not sure how!! Would I be able recognise tongue tie?

Just wondering for tomorrow should I let him have 2 feeds out of the sore side to see if it will help clear it? And then go back to normal? He only ever feeds one side at a time.

He has had long feeds from the sore side today but it's still the same. It's big and sore and no feed due til 6am!!! But I don't want to make it worse either

Any tips appreciated

Definitely start on the affected breast and in between feeds you have to clear the blockage. The best way I found was to get into a very hot bath, immerse the blocked side and then vigorously massage the breast towards the nipple. You'll know it's unblocked when the milk is flowing freely. It may take a few times to unblock.

Rest is also very important so at the very least out your feet up and lie on the sofa but get into bed if you can. Not so easy with a toddler but your body is fighting an infection.

A crude test for tongue tie is to run your finger under the tongue from left to right and if you hit a speed bump he may have tongue tie. I doubt pumping caused this unless you were cutting back on feeds or you were pumping a lot and letting yourself get engorged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ourmaris

My little girl is 4 and a half weeks old and after week one she started to cluster feed which could last anything up to 6 hours straight sometimes even more, She only sleeps for an hour and a half at a time before getting up for another feed at night and to say i am drained is an understatement. I even ended up in hospital this weekend cause i am so run down. Anyway I still dont want to give up but has anyone else out there experienced this and lived to tell the tale?? when will this change?

By I don't think you should go to 6am tomorrow without feeding. I'd lift him 2 or 3 times during the night and latch him on. Otherwise pump 2 or 3 times tonight. While pumping massage the breast towards the nipple from every side to make sure you're emptying the breast. I had to do this last summer when my girl was 4.5 months. She had a terrible head cold was was all bunged up and couldn't feed. We were flying home from holidays but despite latching her on a lot she didn't empty the breast at all. By the time I for home and got the kids to bed I was full of sore lumps. That's how easy it can happen unfortunately. For me anyway.

ourmaris it can be tough going with a newborn but it does change around 6 weeks. Do you cosleep? My daughter was like that and I was also exhausted. I used to sleep with a pillow under each elbow and little madam on my chest. I was half propped up, half lying down. Whenever she woke I'd switch her over to the next side. Then we'd fall asleep. I always kept a light on so I could see where she was if I woke but it was the only way I survived those constant feeds.

Go to bed as early as you can and sleep as much as you can during the day.

Thanks how strange for all the tips! Breastfeedin is great and much handier than bottles but sometimes it ain't easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

red fraggle our little lad was extremely windy-used to squirm half the night even in his sleep. I removed lactose as much as possible from my diet and this seemed to solve the problem. Cream in particular sent him off. We also used a miracle homeopathic remedy called Lycopodium- absolute magic.

wicklori wrote: »
    red fraggle our little lad was extremely windy-used to squirm half the night even in his sleep. I removed lactose as much as pessible from my diet and this seemed to solve the problem. Cream in particular sent him off. We also used a miracle homeopathic remedy called Lycopodium- absolute magic.

Thanks a mill! I'm thinking of doing that. What did you have to do with the remedy? I've never gone to a homeopath but I will!! He screamed in pain while farting today. Break your heart. Did the remedy really work? What age was your baby? Sorry for all the questions!!!!

wicklori wrote: »
    red fraggle our little lad was extremely windy-used to squirm half the night even in his sleep. I removed lactose as much as pessible from my diet and this seemed to solve the problem. Cream in particular sent him off. We also used a miracle homeopathic remedy called Lycopodium- absolute magic.

Thanks a mill! I'm thinking of doing that. What did you have to do with the remedy? I've never gone to a homeopath but I will!! He screamed in pain while farting today. Break your heart. Did the remedy really work? What age was your baby? Sorry for all the questions!!!!

I don't think the lump in my boob is going away. I don't think I'm unblocking it at all! What happens if the lump doesn't go away? I've tried everything!! It doesn't hurt alot unless I'm massaging it. I'm terrified it won't clear. J seems to feed from it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

I don't think the lump in my boob is going away. I don't think I'm unblocking it at all! What happens if the lump doesn't go away? I've tried everything!! It doesn't hurt alot unless I'm massaging it. I'm terrified it won't clear. J seems to feed from it fine

I've found a really hot bath to be great for plugged ducts. Massage first, then go on all fours in the bath. After the bath, dangle feed the baby -should clear pretty quick.

• Advertisement

Red fraggle something is causing your little lad to feed inefficiently so yes perhaps it's a lactose intolerance. Try cutting out dairy for a few days and see if there's an improvement.

However you have to clear the blockage or it could become an abscess which you definitely don't want to happen. Keep doing the hot bath and massage but perhaps pump after every feed and compress the breast/massage it towards the nipple as you're doing it. It will be sore but you have to persevere.

Advertisement