Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jerrica wrote: »
    Thanks so many choices everyone, I knew breastfeeding would have its challenges but I didn't expect them to hit so soon! I really want to keep going and stick it out, I really appreciate the supportive words :) we'll just have to take it one feed at a time. Thanks again.

It really is as much a learned skill as it is instinctive. I think you should see it as you overcoming an issue early that would have caused a lot of pain and problems that many women with the same issue would have had to give up breastfeeding.

But you didnt. You're still feeding away, and healing now too. Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wish pregnant women and new mums were told that breastfeeding isn't innate. Yes we know what the breasts are for but the actual process of breastfeeding has to be learned by mother and baby. That's why a baby who has been latched on incorrectly (like my daughter) has to be taught all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I wish pregnant women and new mums were told that breastfeeding isn't innate. Yes we know what the breasts are for but the actual process of breastfeeding has to be learned by mother and baby. That's why a baby who has been latched on incorrectly (like my daughter) has to be taught all over again.

Me too! We were told in ante natal class that if a dog can do it you can . I think it was meant to be empowering but made me feel like a failure in the first week or two!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Me too! We were told in ante natal class that if a dog can do it you can . I think it was meant to be empowering but made me feel like a failure in the first week or two!
    Is it any wonder the breastfeeding rates are abysmal with gems like that from our healthcare professionals.

I think it was a fellow boardsie who said on this thread that even in zoos they have to put a breastfeeding gorilla mum and baby with a pregnant female so she learns how to do it.

Ha! It seems you'd be better off giving birth in Dublin zoo if you want to breastfeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Is it any wonder the breastfeeding rates are abysmal with gems like that from our healthcare professionals.

I think it was a fellow boardsie who said on this thread that even in zoos they have to put a breastfeeding gorilla mum and baby with a pregnant female so she learns how to do it.

Ha! It seems you'd be better off giving birth in Dublin zoo if you want to breastfeed!

Gosh that's interesting! Maybe we should be ringing them instead of lll !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

lol!!! I was in the zoo a few days before I gave birth to go and see the new baby bull elephant, (I was overdue, I was willing to try anything to get the ongoing :D) and he was being minded so closely by all of the female elephants, they all learn how to mind their babies through their matriarchal societies. We have lost SO MUCH information in such a small time in Ireland where breastfeeding and raising babies is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi ladies, Im looking for some advice for my friend. Her baby is 2 weeks old, from 6 hours after birth in Holles St she was been pressured into giving baba a bottle with such reasons as she will get dehydrated, no help was giving in latching baba on, or supporting the breast feeding. This resulted in baby not happy latching on/staying on/fussy feeding. My friend has attended the lactation clinic 3 times, been given conflicting advise each time- use nipple shields/ don't use them, express /don't express . She got a private lactation consultant herself who thinks baba is tongue tied and recommended frequent feeds, pumping etc. Trouble is the baby is still 3 oz below birth weight and public health nurse said she will recommend she be taken into hospital next week if not up to birth weight and insisted on supplementing with formula, this increase in bottles is causing baby to be more fussy at the breast. She is nt having many dirty nappies so something is going wrong but what? Sorry for such a long post but this girls head is melted with this and I feel so sorry for her. Any advice?

Did the lactation consultant make a recommendation about getting the tongue tie snipped? Unfortunately not all lactation consultants are the same and the most qualified to international standards are the ibclc ones.

The la Leche cleave leaders (not 100% sure about Cuidiu) are trained to an equivalent standard to ibclc. So the first thing your friend should do is get in touch with her local leader. You'll find contact details on the friends of breastfeeding website.

In the next few days I'd suggest your friend and her baby get into bed without clothes and do lots of skin to skin and concentrate on snuggling and feeding. Being constantly so close to mum should encourage the baby to root and look for the breast.

3oz does seem a lot in terms of weigh loss/lack of gain but alls definitely not lost. She may need to continue with a little formula for the moment but perhaps get her or better still her partner to give it on a spoon, from an open cup (and let the baby lap at it like a kitten would) or use a syringe. I'd try to avoid using bottles at this stage especially if the baby is getting fussy when breastfeeding.

Also if she wears breast shells she will be collecting milk that'll be constantly leaking and she can supplement with this instead of formula.

It seems your friend has gotten bad or at least conflicting and confusing advice so far so she needs to talk to an expert now. That's why I'd suggest LLL and recommend that she spends the weekend having a baby moon and staying in bed with her little one.

Hopefully she'll get it sorted very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The problem with tongue tie is that it means baby isn't an efficient feeder, so it can affect supply coming in because baby isn't stimulating the breastfeeding enough. Then because supply is low they don't gain weight which means they need formula because mum's supply isn't there which further drops supply. I know my Lc advised another girl whose baby had tongue tie I know to feed then pump and to try use that milk to top up with if possible and only then to use formula.

I had my girls snipped it was very straightforward and made a massive difference to her. How stranges advice is fantastic your poor friend must be so stressed from it

Thanks girls, the private lactation consultant was one recommended by La leche and she send a referral re tongue tie release. Baby lost 7% of weight and has gained a bit back but not much. She is very bright eyed and alert and happy. My friend gets very little when pumping and it's an exhausting cycle of feed, pump, top up etc! I wonder if the shields are making baby work too hard for what she is getting? I also wonder if it's a supply issue? I got fenguerk for her. Is there much of a wait for this tongue tie release?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi guys, Lilly is 20 weeks tomorrow! So going to start offering her some food in maybe 3 weeks time. With my son (combination fed), we just started with those milupa cereals and rice at 18 weeks. And I gave up bfing shortly after.

With Lilly ( exclusively breastfed) just a little unsure of hiw many breast feeds etc she will need and what food to start her on. Was thinking of some puréed carrot and potato and some banana or something? Few weeks to go yet so in no rush but just thought id post and ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, Lilly is 20 weeks tomorrow! So going to start offering her some food in maybe 3 weeks time. With my son (combination fed), we just started with those milupa cereals and rice at 18 weeks. And I gave up bfing shortly after.

With Lilly ( exclusively breastfed) just a little unsure of hiw many breast feeds etc she will need and what food to start her on. Was thinking of some puréed carrot and potato and some banana or something? Few weeks to go yet so in no rush but just thought id post and ask :)

I started with sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, apple, pear etc. I was a bit reluctant to give banana initially as it can be hard to digest so maybe try others first? My son hasn't hugely reduced breastfeeds yet but is gradually increasing time between feeds. Having said that he was feeding non stop this evening! He has been very windy in the past week or so, therefore I'm holding off on introducing formula until his system has got used to solids.

I did baby led weaning on both of them. I offered tastes of food around 20 weeks but stopped again as she had no interest. Around 6 months I started with little bits of toast or pear or whatever. She started crèche around 6 months too so she are the puréed dinners there. We used to give weetabix or porridge for breakfast which was obviously spoon fed. After that as many finger food snacks but with very little emphasis on quantity. I continued to breastfeed on demand. It was 8/9 months before she really dropped feeds and had any interest in eating

The blw can be frustrating at the start but after doing it twice I wouldn't do it any other way. I did a tiny bit of puréeing for her around 20 weeks and gave up. Her tongue thrust was still there so everything came back out and it was far too much work. By 6 months you can give everything except honey, nuts and maybe strawberries.

I've heard people say the blw is great. But I think id be a nervous wreck doing it thinking shed choke or something?!

Yes it's nerve wrecking at the start with the bulging eyes and retching and ocassional vomiting but it's worth sticking with it. I educated myself on what to do with a choking infant and remembered the wise words of a fellow boardsie who said sit on your hands for 10 seconds when the retching etc starts and only intervene after that if you have to. Thankfully I've only ever had to use the infant choking first aid once on my son, at 10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Jerrica, you've gone through the tough bits, it gets so much easier from here! I've a permanent scar on one of my nipples from a really deep crack that was excruciating! The nipple shields were an absolute godsend, I don't know know I could have gone on without them. It gets easier by the day. And suddenly at three months, you'll realise that it all has just clicked. Baby feeds fast & efficiently - It's so easy and handy, you'll be so happy that you stuck it out. Best of luck!! You'll get there. My Midwife calls it the 'payback', when all your hard work comes to fruition and you really enjoy the feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi ladies, Im looking for some advice for my friend. Her baby is 2 weeks old, from 6 hours after birth in Holles St she was been pressured into giving baba a bottle with such reasons as she will get dehydrated, no help was giving in latching baba on, or supporting the breast feeding. This resulted in baby not happy latching on/staying on/fussy feeding. My friend has attended the lactation clinic 3 times, been given conflicting advise each time- use nipple shields/ don't use them, express /don't express . She got a private lactation consultant herself who thinks baba is tongue tied and recommended frequent feeds, pumping etc. Trouble is the baby is still 3 oz below birth weight and public health nurse said she will recommend she be taken into hospital next week if not up to birth weight and insisted on supplementing with formula, this increase in bottles is causing baby to be more fussy at the breast. She is nt having many dirty nappies so something is going wrong but what? Sorry for such a long post but this girls head is melted with this and I feel so sorry for her. Any advice?

Jesus, that's a lot of pressure for a new Mum. Very stressful :(
    My local doctor's surgery has a FAB midwife who is also a lactation consultant. She's so positive & helpful and non-judgemental. They also perform the tongue tie operation in that surgery if the baby does have a tie. If she's willing to visit another surgery, it's the Inchicore Family Doctors & the Midwife is Margaret. She only works certain days during the week.

olaola wrote: »
    Jesus, that's a lot of pressure for a new Mum. Very stressful :(
    My local doctor's surgery has a FAB midwife who is also a lactation consultant. She's so positive & helpful and non-judgemental. They also perform the tongue tie operation in that surgery if the baby does have a tie. If she's willing to visit another surgery, it's the Inchicore Medical centre & the Midwife is Margaret. She only works certain days during the week.

Hi thanks for that, will pass on the info. Baby is feeding really well last few days and expressing is getting easier. Fingers crossed the weigh in will go well tomorrow for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hi all. My daughter is almost ten weeks old and is being ebf. She's always been a great feeder and is still constantly hungry. I want to try to get her into some sort of routine for her own sake as well as my own, because she still wakes every two or three hours for a feed...and ten weeks later I am shattered. So I have started putting her to sleep around eight. If she wakes before 11 I give her her soother and she falls back to sleep. I dream feed her at eleven or eleven thirty regardless of whether she is awake or not. Then I try to stretch the next feed until four and again till eight. She has woken in between these times but she falls back to sleep when I put her soother in again. I guess my question is, is what I am doing ok for my daughter? Of course I don't want to be fobbing her off with a bit of plastic when she is hungry. But she's the kind of baby that would spit out the soother if she was hungry and continue to cry. Anyone experience this? I hear of other bf b as babies who sleep for the night and I am very jealous.... I would have just fed her when she woke previously and she always takes the boob when offered but then she would feed for a very short time, conk and I'd be left wide awake :)

detoxkid wrote: »
    Hi all. My daughter is almost ten weeks old and is being ebf. She's always been a great feeder and is still constantly hungry. I want to try to get her into some sort of routine for her own sake as well as my own, because she still wakes every two or three hours for a feed...and ten weeks later I am shattered. So I have started putting her to sleep around eight. If she wakes before 11 I give her her soother and she falls back to sleep. I dream feed her at eleven or eleven thirty regardless of whether she is awake or not. Then I try to stretch the next feed until four and again till eight. She has woken in between these times but she falls back to sleep when I put her soother in again. I guess my question is, is what I am doing ok for my daughter? Of course I don't want to be fobbing her off with a bit of plastic when she is hungry. But she's the kind of baby that would spit out the soother if she was hungry and continue to cry. Anyone experience this? I hear of other bf b as babies who sleep for the night and I am very jealous.... I would have just fed her when she woke previously and she always takes the boob when offered but then she would feed for a very short time, conk and I'd be left wide awake :)

I'm sure you'll get more advice here detoxkid but IMO it sounds like you are doing great. If she's feeding heaps during the day, getting a big feed at 8, 11.30, 4am and 8am that sounds pretty good. That's pretty much what my 20 week old does. She goes down at 9ish... Could wake anytime between 4 abd 6am, then again around 8.30. So we don't give her a dream feed but she does wake in the early hours and ages twice your babies age!

Regarding the soother, id say its grand what you're doing. I would think if baby was truly hungry she wouldn't be going back to sleep! She's probably just looking for a bit of comfort, especially if that's what she's used to getting from you. I'd say keep on what your doing. Am happy to be corrected tho as that's just my opinion.

Also, just remember, 10 weeks is still so young! I'm sure some babies sleep through at this age but really it is NOT the norm! Please remember that and don't be trying to compare as it can be so disheartening! Things will get a lot easier for you soon. You sound like you're doing great! And congratulations :)

• Advertisement

Yes it's nerve wrecking at the start with the bulging eyes and retching and ocassional vomiting but it's worth sticking with it. I educated myself on what to do with a choking infant and remembered the wise words of a fellow boardsie who said sit on your hands for 10 seconds when the retching etc starts and only intervene after that if you have to. Thankfully I've only ever had to use the infant choking first aid once on my son, at 10 months.

Thanks HS. I'm not sure if blw weaning is for us. But I always like to look at all options before I make decision so will do a bit more research on it :). I know my husband would have a fit tho! Lol. Even with the purée food he'd initially look for any lumps in it. Hahaha.. He'd be way more anxious than me aswell.

SamforMayo wrote: »

Just an update: baby up over her birth weight today, feeding well, seeing consultant re tongue tie tomorrow. Still getting a 2 oz top of formula but that s not much and she hopes to phase it out when steady weight gain established. Thanks for the help. Delighted for my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

olaola wrote: »
    Jerrica, you've gone through the tough bits, it gets so much easier from here! I've a permanent scar on one of my nipples from a really deep crack that was excruciating! The nipple shields were an absolute godsend, I don't know know I could have gone on without them. It gets easier by the day. And suddenly at three months, you'll realise that it all has just clicked. Baby feeds fast & efficiently - It's so easy and handy, you'll be so happy that you stuck it out. Best of luck!! You'll get there. My Midwife calls it the 'payback', when all your hard work comes to fruition and you really enjoy the feeding.

Thanks olaola, and you're right, it's even gotten easier in the last few days. My nipples have toughened up a good bit, after an initial few seconds of discomfort when she latches I'm feeling no pain on either nipple now. I'm delighted :D

I'm still pumping once a day, I gave myself a bit of a shock this evening when I pumped just over 5oz, this is way more than last few pumps, I feel like a prized heifer after it and not necessarily in a bad way :pac: my husband has gone back to work so the EBM gives him an opportunity to bond with the little lady in the evenings and me a chance to get stuff done that I missed during the day.

I think I might actually be starting to enjoy breastfeeding!!

I love hearing people say when they start to enjoy feeding jerrica!

I'm after a little bit of advice again! Just out of hospital with my 4 month old again. And unfortunately it's looking like we will probably end up with more admissions during the winter as she just doesn't seem to be capable of fighting off anything. Because I have a two year old at home I need to start building up a freezer stash so that if she does end up back in that I can get home go for showers etc or just spend some time with my toddler. She feeds a lot and I'm just wondering if I start pumping in the middle of the day during naptime will my supply increase enough over a few days or longer so that I can pump a full feed at that time? I know morning is supposed to be better but honestly I just can't at that time.

cyning wrote: »
    I love hearing people say when they start to enjoy feeding jerrica!

I'm after a little bit of advice again! Just out of hospital with my 4 month old again. And unfortunately it's looking like we will probably end up with more admissions during the winter as she just doesn't seem to be capable of fighting off anything. Because I have a two year old at home I need to start building up a freezer stash so that if she does end up back in that I can get home go for showers etc or just spend some time with my toddler. She feeds a lot and I'm just wondering if I start pumping in the middle of the day during naptime will my supply increase enough over a few days or longer so that I can pump a full feed at that time? I know morning is supposed to be better but honestly I just can't at that time.

Cyning I had a wedding to go to the weekend just gone so needed to build up a stash. I have always pumped a feed every morning but started pumping an extra feed at night after she'd gone to sleep about a week before the wedding. Didnt get as much as I would in morning but managed to pump between 100-150ml at night. Morning id easily get 150-200ml after feeding her. Id say if you keep at it you'll be able to get a stash. Not sure of you want to pump early morning... But I've heard your milk supply increases at around 3am... If you're really desperate to get a good stash x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cyning, obviously talk to a pharmacist first, but my baby went through a bout of picking up everything going, and every other week the creche were calling me because he had a temp and feeling unwell, so I got him these sachets of probiotic to add to his milk plus baby multivitamin drops. Now, he was a good bit older than your baby at the time, but the probiotic can be used from very young. I think the multivitamin is from 6 months or a year?

Its been months since he's had anything bar teething issues, even a snotty nose. I'm hoping that streak of luck will continue for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Whats the easiest way to tell your baby is getting enough from BF? I always hear checking the nappies is the best way, should their nappy be wet every 2-3 hours? The odd time its not wet I have to say. And then when it is wet should it be soaking wet?

Definitely has at least one poo a day though. Its very frustrating as just want to make sure he is getting what he needs.

I used tear open the nappies to see if the beads in them had gotten wet. Or put a bit of cotton wool in nappy too. The thing is though you have to trust that breastfeeding works. I obsessed with my first: but she was gaining weight, was alert and had 6/7 fine wet nappies a day after the first few weeks. The first few weeks I went through loads of nappies that probably didn't need to be changed! Once it's wet it's wet :) I won't tell you not to worry but believe me you would know if he wasn't getting enough.

Back with the paediatrician next week so asking about the multivitamin is on the list: she needs tests done to make sure her immune system is ok, but I'm terrified of her getting pneumonia again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Yep just going to have to trust in the system!

Another problem is my girlfriends seems to be able to feed fine on the right breast but not the left. Our baby has no interest in the left breast, leaving my girlfriends left breast swollen and sore.

She expresses milk which then eases it up but it seems like he doesn't like feeding on the left as he doesn't get much milk out of it. Anyone ever encounter a baby that has a preferred side? And what do you do then with the supply in the other breast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep just going to have to trust in the system!

Another problem is my girlfriends seems to be able to feed fine on the right breast but not the left. Our baby has no interest in the left breast, leaving my girlfriends left breast swollen and sore.

She expresses milk which then eases it up but it seems like he doesn't like feeding on the left as he doesn't get much milk out of it. Anyone ever encounter a baby that has a preferred side? And what do you do then with the supply in the other breast?

I used to start on the one she does not like. When hungry she would feed from this then move to preferred side.

Advertisement