Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I got some mamalicious tops online and they're fab
    Also got some dresses from babes with babies (?) recently and again happy with them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thanks the boob dresses are all black, I don't wear black :-)

I have loads of breast vests which are great for tops and jeans but really want some causal tunic jersey still tops.

There is a real niche in the market for decent nursing clothes. I have a few wrap dresses which are great but are a bit formal for walking around lidl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Have you seen mamafeelsgood.com??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

John Mason wrote: »
    They've got loads of styles and colours. Have you looked at their website?

I really think boob have recognised this niche and designed clothes for breastfeeding mothers that are stylish/feminine yet practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

They've got loads of styles and colours. Have you looked at their website?

I really think boob have recognised this niche and designed clothes for breastfeeding mothers that are stylish/feminine yet practical.

yeah only have black on their website at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I second the "Boob" brand. Their tops are all I've been wearing the last 6 months!
    Depending on how long you intend to continue breastfeeding I'd recommend boob clothing. They're stuff is expensive enough but whatever you buy you'll wear day in, day out as it's comfie and clever. I bought a long sleeve top last autumn and wore it all the time.
    John Mason wrote: »

I have loads of breast vests which are great for tops and jeans but really want some causal tunic jersey still tops.

There is a real niche in the market for decent nursing clothes. I have a few wrap dresses which are great but are a bit formal for walking around lidl :-)

I find Boob Design are just great. I am 36 weeks pregnant now and bought almost all of my maternity wear from there and Jo Jo Maman Bebe.
    The Boob Design stuff is dear enough but I like it (these days that counts for a LOT), washes and wears well and I hope to breast feed so figured I'd be wearing the tops (long sleeve ts and a hoodie) for a while after I've given birth too. I've gotten the tops in teal, black, navy and red.
    The Jo Jo tops and dresses are cheaper and come in a variety of colours too. I got quite a few of their wrap tops which will also work when feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hi all. My 14 week old doesn't seem to be feeding as often as she used to and def not for as long. She used to feed for at least 20 minutes...now we are talking ten minutes. She also pulls on and off the boob and cries a little, like she is frustrated but then I burp her and she is fine again. She seems happy out aside from this. Lots of wet and dirty nappies. Do you think I should be concerned about this or has she just learned to feed more efficiently? She loves her milk so I'm just a little concerned that she is getting sick of the breast feeding. I do express milk which dh gives her once a week maybe. He said she is guzzling back the bottle way quicker than she used to. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think that's normal detoxkid. From what I've read, at three months, they start to feed more efficiently and also start to stretch a bit between feeds. If she's happy and has wet nappies then I'd say all is fine. My little one is 13 weeks and she has been the same the last week or so!

Yes it's normal as after 12 weeks they get more efficient at feeding and they get very nosey about what's going on around them. You may find from now on that she feeds longer/more in the mornings and evenings as she's just too busy during the day to feed. Although this may not happen either. As long as the wet nappy output is good and the baby is content then whatever is going on is 'normal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi ladies,

Question for ye. Have any of ye experienced a hormonal drop when ye started to wean off the breast? Just last week I've started to wean Lilly off the breast after 6 months of exclusive breast feeding. She is getting 2 little meals of solids. And is getting 2 breast feeds and 2 formula feeds per day. I want to keep up the 2 breast feeds.

But feeling really really really emotional! It might be because I've been reading a few horrible things in the paper or watching them on tv. And also when people plaster terrible thing in the world all over Facebook it doesn't help! But it's the kind of emotions I would've felt when I was pregnant. I'm jumping down OHs throat aswell! Seems he can't to anything right. And I just feel really upset.

Has anyone else felt like this when they stopped bfing? I know when you give a breast feed the level of oxytocin (happy hormone) increases... So I'm obviously not getting as many kicks as when I was giving 4-5 fees per day :). I just want to know if the way I'm feeling is normal? :(

• Advertisement

Yes it happened when O dropped his last feed. I felt very down and weepy for a week or so. It does pass and hopefully it'll be over soon for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks how strange. Just feel awful! I'm keeping up 2-3 of her feeds tho so I hope that helps... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Omg!! I've been feeling this way a lot and never realised it could be coinciding with dropping feeds. That's interesting. I thought I was going mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Is it unusual to have poor supply in one boob but fine in the other? I think my left side is broken! Tried pumping this morning at got just over 1oz despite it being almost 6 hours since she last fed on that side. I got 3oz from my right side after 3 hours so don't think it's a problem with my pump. Any ideas how to encourage supply on that side?bher latch isn't as good on that side so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Also DD has gone from sleeping 9pm-5/6 am to waking at 2 or 3 and again at 6/7. I tried giving her an expressed bottle last night but she still woke. It takes me almost a full day to pump the 5oz for that bottle, so I'm feeling a bit stressed about it. She's 13 weeks now, it should be getting easier not harder!

I think it's common enough to have an "easier boob" that the milk comes easier from.
    I always think the only pattern that exists with regards to sleep is that there is no pattern:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I breastfeed better with my left boob and I pump better with the right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

When I was pumping, I ALWAYS got more from the right side than the left, I just assumed it was normal :o Coincidentally, it was the right side that leaked more throughout the pregnancy too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Biting is driving me mad! Nothing is working to stop her I think her top two teeth are on the way judging by the vinegar smell off of her nappies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I was total lopsided ..! I used to try
    Pump from my left (emptier) side more after every feed to encourage supply - it did help but actually never went away in the seven months I fed her - I remember many times getting 5oz from right which seemed a lot and struggled to get 1 from the left! It def wasn't just a pumping issue either cos it never went as hard..! Weird bodies!

My 10 month old has reduced her feeds down to 2 or 3 a day. One in the morning and at night and less often now one between lunch and tea. I'm just not sure if I'm getting the balance right. She eats loads and seems to enjoy a bit of a snack instead of the afternoon breastfeed. Should I offer breast first? I had been offering it after the snack and so she was probably too full. My phn told me at the last checkup that the milk she has in cereal etc counts towards that recommended 500ml. Would other dairy like yogurt /cheese? I'm trying to go by my daughter as I have done all along. Just not sure if I'm gauging it right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

kandr10 wrote: »
    My 10 month old has reduced her feeds down to 2 or 3 a day. One in the morning and at night and less often now one between lunch and tea. I'm just not sure if I'm getting the balance right. She eats loads and seems to enjoy a bit of a snack instead of the afternoon breastfeed. Should I offer breast first? I had been offering it after the snack and so she was probably too full. My phn told me at the last checkup that the milk she has in cereal etc counts towards that recommended 500ml. Would other dairy like yogurt /cheese? I'm trying to go by my daughter as I have done all along. Just not sure if I'm gauging it right?

My first did exactly the same, I think I kept the afternoon feed up longer than she needed it (we were going on holidays and it was easier). Stopped offering when we got home so she was 10 months and a few days and she never looked for it again, not even when she was sick.

My first did exactly the same, I think I kept the afternoon feed up longer than she needed it (we were going on holidays and it was easier). Stopped offering when we got home so she was 10 months and a few days and she never looked for it again, not even when she was sick.

Thanks so much. That's good to know. If she looks for it I give it but I think I preempt her looking for it by offering solids first. She seems happy and healthy and everyone says she's a chubster so I'm not too concerned. Every now and then that weird baby brain kicks in and tells me she'll have developmental issues if I stop!! To listen to the voices in my head or not...lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hi there, sitting here with my 3 day old - he's a hungry little man ! :) Just wondering if it's common that a little baby would just drink and drink so much that he spews and gets hiccups and then immediately wants to get back on the boob for more!! My other son wasn't as ravenous. I feel like he's glued to me!

I don't know why but I associate puking with bottles, not boobs, I think I assume that baby will just take as much as they can handle and then stop, but this little guy will just suck for Ireland.

They're all so different as you'll learn😃 my second guy currently 11weeks is great for spewing he brings uploads whereas my friends baba same age hardly brings up a drop. I'm ebf she's combi feeding
    Don't forget your milk is only in today so he'll prob feed loads
    Congrats and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Karmella wrote: »
    Hi there, sitting here with my 3 day old - he's a hungry little man ! :) Just wondering if it's common that a little baby would just drink and drink so much that he spews and gets hiccups and then immediately wants to get back on the boob for more!! My other son wasn't as ravenous. I feel like he's glued to me!

I don't know why but I associate puking with bottles, not boobs, I think I assume that baby will just take as much as they can handle and then stop, but this little guy will just suck for Ireland.

Not sure about the puking, but there is a growth spurt day 2/3 which will mean they will be glued to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

My little girl did a lot of puking in her first few days and weeks and she's only been breastfed. I think it was a combination of her figuring out how big her tummy was and a fast let down. The puking is more like possetting now and mostly only happens when she gets hiccups (she's seven weeks tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

kandr10 wrote: »

My 9 month old has started to not want her afternoon feed too (still has small feed early morning, mid morning, before bed and once during the night). I still offer the afternoon feed - sometimes she takes it and others not. Its scary alright - keep thinking she is lacking but just have to follow her lead....

Also, at her checkup the PHN said no formula after 1 year old, they want babies drinking cows milk from a cup from then on! I explained that my LO is breastfed but just wondering what alternatives to cows milk others have used? Not really into her drinking cows milk (I do use it in cooking but don't drink it myself as it seems bizarre to be drinking the milk from another mammal!!!). Anyone give almond milk to their LO's?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Karmella wrote: »

Hey Karmella, sounds like my little girl (she's 8 days old), she has been blooping a lot the past few days, but is gaining weight and has dirty and wet nappies so I can only assume it's just normal for her? Since my milk has come in proper it seems like it's much richer and she has a very strong suck so I think she gulps it down very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

My little one is ebf and starting puking after feeds. I was concerned but I think it was a case her eyes were bigger than her belly since she hit 5 weeks the puking is minimal.

I had to stop her half way through a feed and wind her to see if she was really still hungry or just using me as a soother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Anyone get resistance from family members to breastfeeding their baby?

My MIL has just been over to visit my 4 week old, and would not let up, "you're not still breastfeeding are you", "he can go on bottles now, you've done your bit", "you can't have him stuck to you all the time", and "oh yes young man, you want a bottle don't you?"

I replied through gritted teeth that as long as i could manage it, i would keep it up. Apart from the heath benefits, one of my main reasons for bfing this baby is a financial one, we're very short of money and this makes a very positive difference to our weekly budget. I told her that and got a blank expression in return.

Why do some people (MILs especially) think they can intrude on your parenting and tell you what to do? Especially when the benefits of breastfeeding are so widely known. My blood pressure is not able for this. Apologies for rant.

Advertisement