Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My daughter fed every 2-3 hours until 11 months when I eventually night weaned her. I was back working full time and I was beyond exhausted. I read Elizabeth Pantleys No Cry Sleep Solution and I found it brilliant. She's a parent of a few children, breastfed them al and wrote the book after one of her children was a terrible sleeper.

We still use the technique today as my daughter still wouldn't be the best at sleeping. Her method is very gentle and about reassuring the baby while training them to sleep better. You can continue breastfeeding using her method.
    She's honest when she says you'll have to go through another 3-4 weeks of bad sleep before you get results as you have to do all the hard work but it works if you persevere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Did anyone else get their period back only for it to mysteriously disappear again while breastfeeding? My period came back when my baby was 8 weeks old. The next cycle came 6 weeks later and then I had 2 14 day cycles in a row. Nothing since then :confused: I'm still exclusively bfing so I'm wondering if my cycle is just crazy because of that but it has been 8 weeks now so I'm starting to freak out a bit. For the last 2 weeks I've had that achy feeling like it was going to start but it hasn't. I always had a 31 day like clockwork cycle before the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Did anyone else know that it's World Breastfeeding Week this week? I just heard about it today. Didn't see any events advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Happydippy wrote: »
    Did anyone else know that it's World Breastfeeding Week this week? I just heard about it today. Didn't see any events advertised.

Only heard about on a Fb group. Lovely photos of bf mammies being posted on there, but mainly not on people's timelines cos shure twould cause a right old scandal! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Knew about it from the EBI page, there's a load of discussions etc on phone shows/FB pages, mainly ones being used to start a row, people trotting out the usual breastfeeders are making them feel guilty blah blah etc.

can we not just have one week where people actually commend and appreciate breastfeeders instead of it being used to fuel this breast-v-bottle debate that people insist on having

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's depressing sometimes hearing the misinformed anecdotes passing as facts on programmes like Ireland am. I in no way consider myself a militant breastfeeder, more of an accidental one, but the some of the comments make me roll my eyes. Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I'm like you lazygal 'accidental breastfeeder'.bottle fed my first said is give breastfeeding a go this time . said I'd do it for 6 weeks then it got easier and here I am nearly 8 months In . I don't care who feeds their baby what and that while debate just get a on my nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm still feeding my nearly two year old, never thought I'd be doing that!

fair play to ya I say!!

I'm bit of an accidental breastfeeder also. Wanted to try bf, but never thought I'd still be bf at 19 months. It just seems normal now.
    I also hate all the mis information on many discussions in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Just saw the article on the independent about TV3's midday programme and the live breastfeeding, some of the comments the woman received were horrendous, and as always it's from other women!

It's so sad that in Ireland if you choose to breastfeed you have to do it indoors to avoid upsetting other mothers who choose to bottle feed or men/old ladies who it inappropriate. Thankfully in the 3+ years I breastfed I only received 1 nasty comment

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Anyone else breastfeeding after a c section? How long did it take for your milk to come in? People on other message boards seem to keep saying unhelpfully "you'll just know" which is pointless.. It's day 8 now and I'm engorged only for a few hours a day, mostly at night, my milk is whitish and i am leaking but only again at night for the most part. During the day my boobs feel very light in comparison, I try to hand express and little to nothing comes out but after a few hours sleep I've loads. My little one never seems to be sated. He will feed for a good 30-50 mins each side, often falling asleep at the breast and then screaming for more once he has been changed and winded.

I fed him exclusively on the breast in hospital for 48 hours but it just wasn't enough with the colostrum so we used tops up, continuing when we got home but once my milk changed I tried to cut them out (particularly since he seems to get hiccups with it). My worry is that I'm just still not enough for him yet and I'm losing my mind with him screaming and unable to settle until he finally just falls asleep on the breast.

My options seem to be:
    1. I'm not enough for him, use tops ups until it comes in properly even though it gives hiccups and even though I still don't understand what proper milk supply is.
    2. This is day 8, and this is generally normal, he will settle into a routine eventually, put up with it for now.
    3. Hire a lactation consultant for help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Hire a lactation consultant! You will be fine once you do, loads of us needed extra support in the early days and are flying it now!

I just don't know if it's necessary, I don't understand what's 'normal' vs what isn't. Is it normal for some newborns to eat constantly? Is it normal to only be engorged some of the time? Is it normal for the breast to be the only thing that can settle them in the early days?

I could hire one and then she could tell me "yeah this is all fine", then it's a waste of money. Hiring a consultant would only be my last ditch effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Dobbit wrote: »
    I just don't know if it's necessary, I don't understand what's 'normal' vs what isn't. Is it normal for some newborns to eat constantly? Is it normal to only be engorged some of the time? Is it normal for the breast to be the only thing that can settle them in the early days?

I could hire one and then she could tell me "yeah this is all fine", then it's a waste of money. Hiring a consultant would only be my last ditch effort.

You can contact a breast feeding counsellor from cuidiu or la leche league. There is no charge and they will be able to help you. There are also Facebook pages that are full of very helpful people that would only love to help you. My little one fed all the time. For hours at the start and never seemed full. It is normal for newborns to want to feed feed feed it establishes your supply. The way to know baby is getting enough is through the wet and dirty nappies. Another good site is kellymum. I would recommend if weight gain and nappies are ok not to supplement with formula. You really need to establish supply in the early days. You are doing a great job. Keep doing lots of skin to skin too.

Facebook : extended breastfeeding In ireland
    It's a closed group so you need to ask to join but I find it good.

http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/supports_breastfeeding_counsellors
    You can contact any of them if there isn't answer try the next one on the list. All volunteers ready to help.

https://www.lalecheleagueireland.com/groups/

I know how hard it is in the early days I'm nearly at ten weeks now and it does get easier!! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Yes to those 3 questions!!!

Re not sure if you have enough milk, Blingy is right about checking this via number of wet and dirty nappies and by amount of weight gain.

But if you're still unsure I would go with lactation consultant. They could look at the latch and tell if baby is removing milk well. For peace of mind. In case say for example baby's latch was wrong and wasn't getting a lot of milk because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I had a section with my 4 month old. Lots of babies feed constantly when so young, my friends 7 week old spent all day yesterday feeding. The more he suckles the more milk you will produce for him. I felt engorged once at 5 days old, then never again really and I rarely leak, only if I miss a feed. You are providing enough for him, hand expressing doesn't give a good indication of what the baby is getting out with his great latch vs your hand with no latch.

Definitely go on that fb page it's brilliant, call a local cuidiu person, set up camp on the couch with tv and food and water and just feed and enjoy the newborn cuddles :)

Oh and breast milk changes depending on the weather so it's more watery in warm weather to keep baby hydrated. Foremilk is watery to quench thirst normally, with thicker hind milk to fill baby.

And top ups will mess with your supply, I would avoid that if possible. Who said colostrum wasn't enough in hospital, what were they basing it on?

definitely go on the fb page there's a mine of Information on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I wouldn't worry about thinking a lactation consultant would be a waste of time. If you're not comfortable it's good to get the help as early as possible. I didn't get one myself and regretted it and any friends I know who got one all said they wished they'd done it sooner. Whether you pay for it or not, it's invaluable having someone sit beside you, look at your baby and circumstances and tell you what's working and what's not. If they do end up telling you you're doing grand then it's a massive pat on the back! Good luck and congrats 😀

Sounds like you're milk is in. breasts will usually only feel very engorged when there's a longer gap between feeds. Milk is produced on supply and demand basis. The more your baby feeds at breast the more your supply will match his needs. Top ups might interfer with this. Keep an eye on number of wet and dirty nappies and weight gain. Its normal for newborns to feed very frequently, day and night!

As other posters have said, contact lc if you're still worried. Try to find some bfing mums in your area. Breastfeeding support groups are fantastic for advice.
    Lie down with baby and feed, relax and enjoy the cuddles. Your doing great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Everything you have written sounds perfectly normal.

My monster was cluster feeding for 4-5 hours straight at one stage. Got myself some water, snacks and a box set and settled down on the sofa.

You need to think of your boobs as a flowing river and not a well that can dry up. even after he "drains" your boobs there will still be milk for him.

I think all first time mums go through this, the best thing I found was getting to a bf group, I went to a PHN run one which I found brilliant and now 15 month down the line, I know if I have any queries, I can just drop in.

Also you get to speak to other mums who are going or have been through the exact same thing.

If you think a LC will make you feel more confident go for it. Even if she says all is good, it will not be a waste of money. Peace of mind is priceless.

Keep going momma, you are doing brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Getting a lactation consultant to visit you and your baby should honestly be your first port of call, not a last ditch effort as it is sooo important to get the right help early on, not later. An LC is an expert in the field and if you want to make sure you're getting off on the right foot, you need professional help. It's money well spent that you can claim back on health insurance and via your Med1, and you'll earn the balance back from not spending money on formula.

Newborns feed all the time. Do not listen to anybody who tells you to "feed baby 15 mins on each side". They are full of crap and do not know what they are talking about. Allow your baby to feed on one side first, then once they stop themselves (which in the early days could be after 40-50 mins), offer the other side. They might do another long session from that breast or may not. If it was a short session, then start the next feed on that side. Get yourself the Baby Feed app by Fehners, it's so handy for tracking feeds.

Offer a feed at least every 2.5-3 hours and that means from the start of one feed to the start of the next, eg if a feed happens to be at 10am but takes 90 mins, next feed is at the latest 1pm (even though baby only finished the feed at 11.30am). But in the early days the baby will want to feed every 2 hours or every hour or just non stop ALL THE TIME :) Just keep offering the boob. Yes, babies only will settle at the boob - it is their place of comfort, and feels secure for them. You're engorged as there's been too big a gap between feeds. You just need to go with the flow and feed on demand - that's how breastfeeding works. The baby will ramp up your supply appropriate to his or her needs.

You're doing something lovely for your baby - it gets easier but the first 6 weeks are the hardest. Please get an LC to see you, their help is invaluable.

Don't stick to a schedule for feeds - that baby can only have feeds at X time with Y hours between (I said 2.5 - 3 hours above as that is the absolute max time going between feeds) but in reality it works out as baby unsettled, wants boob, feeds for a bit, nappy change, wants boob, feed for a bit, might get sleepy, sleep on the boob, nappy change, more boob, etc etc etc. :D

Oh and buy some sports bottles of water - trying to feed a newborn and unscrew a cap off a water bottle was impossible for me so I got a sports bottle of water and that made life so much easier.

And top ups will mess with your supply, I would avoid that if possible. Who said colostrum wasn't enough in hospital, what were they basing it on?

I made that decision myself, well aware of the consequences and I'm perfectly happy I made the right decision for us both at that time. While I would have preferred to stay exclusive, it just wasn't working out. Not that I need to provide excuses.

Please get an LC to see you, their help is invaluable .

Thanks for your opinion but I would rather not at the moment. It's not that I feel I need specific help, he feeds just fine, this is more about setting expectations for me about what the first few weeks are actually like. If I know that this is normal I can relax and battle through the chaos.

From all your kind replies it seems as though it is and I feel much better for knowing that I'm not epically failing here. I am going to a la leche meeting today just to get a bit more perspective and then if I feel in say a week an LC will be a good idea, then I will get one.

Thanks all for your support, I'll get there.

I made that decision myself, well aware of the consequences and I'm perfectly happy I made the right decision for us both at that time. While I would have preferred to stay exclusive, it just wasn't working out. Not that I need to provide excuses.

I didn't ask you for "excuses". That's fine if you made the decision yourself, it's just an all too common problem that hospital staff basically force women to give their bf babies formula top ups when they're not needed and ruin bf before it's even really started, I thought it sounded like "they" had told you to do it.

Hope it all works out.

Well I went to la leche and it was so helpful. The more people talked the more I realised we are doing just fine. Feel so much better now. Also going to give the group in holles street a try next week. Thanks again ladies for all your comments.

Well I went to la leche and it was so helpful. The more people talked the more I realised we are doing just fine. Feel so much better now. Also going to give the group in holles street a try next week. Thanks again ladies for all your comments.

That's great to hear Dobbit. Sometimes it's just reassurance we need, to tell us that what we're going through is 'normal'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Just wanted to update you that I asked at my latest midwife consultation about lactation consultants / breastfeeding support groups and it's not something she has ever heard of? In Denmark it's the norm to breastfeed (bottle feeding would be in the minority) so perhaps they don't see a need for it??
    She did say that the midwives and nurses would be on hand during my few days in the hospital, to help with the breastfeeding - but I didn't find them great last time. Let's hope it just 'works' for me this time!!

Advertisement