Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ginger Ail

First time poster!

Just wanted to say that my baby was the exact same. She is 9 weeks today and the last 3 weeks have seen a huge improvement. She was described as a "ferocious feeder" by the midwife in the hospital and that continued for a number of weeks, where it felt like I was googling the possibility of growth spurts every single day not to mind every week!!

As I said she is only 9 weeks, so I am by no means an expert, but 2 things that worked for me:
    After feeding my little girl I used to wind her on my shoulder and cover her with a blanket. Then when putting her into the Moses basket I would leave the blanket behind her and then cover it over her front. I think this just made the transition easier that she wasn't being put on to a cold surface.
    Also, I used a soother, just for that moment of when you put her down and she wanted to suck again. I know some people don't recommend them (and some babies won't take them) but I knew she was just sucking for comfort rather than feeding. It worked for us anyway.

Best of luck with the next few weeks, hope it gets easier. Don't forget to drink plenty of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks so much for the responses! Today was mostly another couch day but i got out with the pram for some food shopping and air. Baby slept well last night so my energy is better. She's still feeding like crazy and is welded to my boob as I type but she didnt mind lying in her chair earlier so that I could play with the toddler. All going well today so, thk god

Ha it seems i am haunting this thread but I have another question. Did someoe in here mention a 6 week sleep regression? My baby is 6 weeks now and her sleep is very weird the past few days. She can be awake for 6/7 hour stretches. In that time she will fall asleep a few times and i will put her to bed only for her to wake 5 mns later! She is draining my boobs when shes awake so long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

6 week growth spurt! That I didn't stop breastfeeding when my first little girl went through it :D it passes after a few days and is completely normal their little way of upping your supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

6 week growth spurt was by far the worst. On my son I fell asleep sitting on the sofa from pure exhaustion as he thumped me and screamed for more milk. It lasted for a few days, on and off. I was so so relieved when it was over. With my daughter she calmly but determinedly fed constantly for 36 hours. Maybe she slept for an hour here and there.

However it'll start getting much easier from now on. That's your big reward for sticking with it through the hellish growth spurt

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Its midnight here and i am still trying to get her to sleep! How can she be awake the entire day like this its mad! Shes not even hungry anymore, just comfort sucking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ooh yes the 6 week growth spurt. I've heard that it's a make or break time in bfing and if you survive it, you'll survive anything. Breastfeeding just kind of clicked for me and I found it got easier after it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bauble1

Thanks for the info. Its midnight here and i am still trying to get her to sleep! How can she be awake the entire day like this its mad! Shes not even hungry anymore, just comfort sucking

Hi, I know it seems like she is comfort sucking but she is actually building up your milk supply. It is all sooooo exhausting and like you say when we have normal adult sleep patterns is is mind boggling that the little baby is not also wrecked. But it is nature doing it's thing. Well done mama. It will all come good. Prop yourself up in the bed with the baby and doze if you can. I also learnt on my second to try and not look at my phone as much during the night as I would've on my first as it woke me up more. When I fed in the dark, it helped me feel more rested.

So today she's making up for the lack of sleep yesterday and meanwhile my boobs are in pain and feel like they'll explode. Why do they build up the supply when they then don't use it? :confused: Will have to dig out the pump...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

So today she's making up for the lack of sleep yesterday and meanwhile my boobs are in pain and feel like they'll explode. Why do they build up the supply when they then don't use it? :confused: Will have to dig out the pump...
    If you pump that might make things worse, as your body might think there is a baby feeding and produce even more. I found hand expressing relieved the worst of it, but the fuller feeling would go away really quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yeah if you pump only do enough to relieve discomfort, if you drain them your body thinks baby has done it and needs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi just wondering about the expressing.I'm bf now 3 months exclusive if I start to express will my body produce more milk or is my milk supply established by now?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

texas star wrote:
    Hi just wondering about the expressing.I'm bf now 3 months exclusive if I start to express will my body produce more milk or is my milk supply established by now?Thanks

Hi,
    If you start to express you will produce more milk. You might not get much the first few times you try until your body thinks it's producing for another feed so don't worry about it if you only get a few mls. I found the best time to express for me was first thing in the morning. It's also important that you express at the same time each day so your body will regularly produce for the 'express feed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi everyone! Second time breastfeeder here- my new boy is a week and a half, and loves his grub. I've a ginormous crack on one nipple, that has improved, but only a bit. Feeding is so so uncomfortable on that side. His position and latch look ok, and the PHN thought the same, but felt he might have a posterior tongue tie. Just wondering if anyone has come across a tongue tie before that only affected feeding on one side? It seems a bit peculiar to me, but I'm hoping it's something like that that will be easy to solve!

Congrats :) I can't help with the tongue tie but I know that Lansinoh balm worked amazing for me when my nipple would crack. Mine only ever happened on one side too but had nothing to do with tongue tie, it was the feeding position that was making the baby latch awkwardly and causing the nipple to crack. Ouch. Hope it clears up for you soon, it's not a nice thing to have :(

jlm29 wrote:
    Hi everyone! Second time breastfeeder here- my new boy is a week and a half, and loves his grub. I've a ginormous crack on one nipple, that has improved, but only a bit. Feeding is so so uncomfortable on that side. His position and latch look ok, and the PHN thought the same, but felt he might have a posterior tongue tie. Just wondering if anyone has come across a tongue tie before that only affected feeding on one side? It seems a bit peculiar to me, but I'm hoping it's something like that that will be easy to solve!

Hi, I had a problem feeding my baby from the left hand side and developed a cracked nipple. The nurses at my bf support group checked for tongue tie but couldn't spot anything. In the end a friend who is a counselor for friend's of breastfeeding came to my house to check things out. She also didn't suspect tongue tie but there was an issue. She suspected my baby's neck might be stiff. Anyways to cut a long story short she showed my the rugby ball hold and I would use this on the left side. It gives a deeper latch and baby's neck was at a different angle. This worked for me. She also showed me laid back which I used now and again but I was more comfortable with the rugby ball hold with a little practice. Use the lansinoh cream too and air will help with the crack. Best of luck.

Thanks guys. Have been using lanolin, and letting the air at them as much as possible, and while there's been an improvement in how my nipples look - ie, the cracks have healed a bit, the pain on my right is still very significant. Have been using the rugby ball hold, I too find that the most comfortable- lying down was best previously, but now I find I can get him on and feeding faster in sitting up- when we were lying down he used to fuss an awful lot.
    I'm going to ring the hospital this morning and chat to the lactation consultant. Hopefully we will get sorted soon! It's a good job he's my second, and I know what "normal" is- if he was my first, and I thought this was the norm, I'd have thrown in the towel by now!

I had latching issues with my second too. I went back to hospital LC and she showed me how to hold a newborn. She said it was quite common in mothers who fed babies for a few months. I always did the cradle hold, keeping tummy to tummy and folding the breast backwards into her mouth. It took a couple of weeks of vigilance but once I got the latch sorted the very sore nipples healed in days using the lansinoh.

Met the lactation consultant this pm- no tongue tie anyhow! It's a latch issue. She was able to get him on, and feeding, with minimal discomfort (which is due to the crack that's already there). I've tried since I got home, and I couldn't quite get it, but I will persevere! At least I know now what the problem is!

The LC told me that newborns are taught how to latch so if the latch is wrong from the start you have to teach them again. I really had to be very vigilant for 2-3 weeks especially at night when I was tired. I didn't feed lying down until we got the latch right. I kind of semi propped myself up in bed with pillows under my elbows and she slept on my chest.

• Advertisement

The LC told me that newborns are taught how to latch so if the latch is wrong from the start you have to teach them again. I really had to be very vigilant for 2-3 weeks especially at night when I was tired. I didn't feed lying down until we got the latch right. I kind of semi propped myself up in bed with pillows under my elbows and she slept on my chest.

Yes, we're a bit better tonight! I'm just sorry I didn't pick up the phone a week ago! I've been avoiding feeding lying down the last few days anyhow, I just found I haven't got enough control there- he was too inclined to latch on with a shallow latch. Hopefully I'll be good as new in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

If you could get to a BF group, you could ask the leader to check the latch at the next meeting, and the following meeting too until you're sure it's good.

I know that feeling of trying to get the latch right after the LC has left! Thankfully my LC ran a local support group as well. YouTube videos can help. I watched a "flipple" technique one which tries to latch baby on deeply. Also this link has instructions too

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WL

Good luck

Marz66 wrote: »
    If you could get to a BF group, you could ask the leader to check the latch at the next meeting, and the following meeting too until you're sure it's good.

I know that feeling of trying to get the latch right after the LC has left! Thankfully my LC ran a local support group as well. YouTube videos can help. I watched a "flipple" technique one which tries to latch baby on deeply. Also this link has instructions too

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WL

Good luck

Thanks a mil- I don't know of any groups in my area, but I must check. Part of my trouble is that I'm so nervous now about the pain, that I'm faffing around- that's why the LC got him on so well yesterday- she wasn't a bit nervous about getting bitten!!!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil- I don't know of any groups in my area, but I must check. Part of my trouble is that I'm so nervous now about the pain, that I'm faffing around- that's why the LC got him on so well yesterday- she wasn't a bit nervous about getting bitten!!!

Your PHN might know of a group in the area or the hospital LC might know either. I know in my area the clinic that the PHN works out of run a group. I also got details of nearby groups from the hospital I was attending before and after the birth. Other than that have a look online for La Leche League, Cuidiu and Friends of Breastfeeding and they should let you know of anything in your area.

I know the fear of anticipation of pain when latching on only too well. I used to almost cry thinking about that latch when I had a crack. I hope in a few days time it's a lot better for you.

On www.breastfeeding.ie you can put in your county and a list of the support groups in that county comes up

Thanks you guys. There's a new group started near me, the PHN posted me the details today.
    Small bit better the last couple of days... The crack is shrinking, though every now and again I let my guard down and jaws does a job on it again!!!
    Has anyone had any success in reducing wind in baby by cutting out certain foods? I have a feeling I may need to start by eliminating chocolate...

I tried to cut down on chocolate and onions but can't say I noticed a difference. I think we can blame what we eat but it may not make a difference.

Small babies will have wind! Frequent winding should help (obviously).

If you're concerned you could have the latch checked just to make sure babs isn't taking in too much wind that way.

Glad to hear things are getting better.

Yes, cutting out dairy made a huge difference to our little one wind/nappy/eczema wise. Turned out she had (and still has) a cows milk protein allergy and I was eating bucket loads of choice :o

Has anyone used the Canesten pessary while breastfeeding? I bought the Canesten combination pack earlier after looking it up online and reading that it was fine while breastfeeding. Just read the instruction leaflet there now and it says to discontinue breastfeeding during use. Wtf does that even mean :confused: It's only a single dose pessary so would I just not breastfeed for the few hours after using it? I will ring dr in the morning to clarify but I was really hoping to use it tonight :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Has anyone used the Canesten pessary while breastfeeding? I bought the Canesten combination pack earlier after looking it up online and reading that it was fine while breastfeeding. Just read the instruction leaflet there now and it says to discontinue breastfeeding during use. Wtf does that even mean :confused: It's only a single dose pessary so would I just not breastfeed for the few hours after using it? I will ring dr in the morning to clarify but I was really hoping to use it tonight :o

You could ask on Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland fb page?

Advertisement