Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

On my first it definitely eased after six weeks but my second was a different kettle of fish. He's always been a clingier child but there does come a point where you're not just feeding and changing nappies! I'm still feeding and he's three in September so it isn't all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So last week my baby was constantly feeding but as he was 6 weeks I thought this was the growth spurt that everyone mentions. I thought his feeding had stabilised by the end of the week but over the last few days he's back to being constantly hungry and crying every time I try to put him down. Is this still the growth spurt or is he just going to be like this for another few weeks? I expressed milk yesterday and my husband was able to feed him but today I haven't had any time to do it. It's disappointing as I thought I'd be able to express and then have some respite but I can't see that happening.

So many people from my friends to my doctor and PHN have said it gets easier once he hits the 6 weeks mark so for him to still be as hungry as ever is pretty disheartening especially when I read for some people it didn't get easier until their baby was a few months old.

For us it was really 2.5-3 months when he could be put down and was content for a good stretch after a feed. If you read up about 'the fourth trimester' it makes sense. I thought the constant feeding and holding would never end but it does.some babies take longer I think. Feeds now last around 10 mins so it really does get easier

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I remember there being a big difference at around 7weeks, was also starting to get worried! Still going strong at 20months!, hold on in there, it does get easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I'm going to keep going for another week. If he's just a hungry monster then I'll consider my options but hopefully it's just a phase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I remember a hard time around 6-7 weeks too. Stuck it out and then there was a time around 3-4 months when it just clicked and all of a sudden, it was so much easier and I was thanking my lucky stars not to be sterilising/making bottles. Still nursing now at 15 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Having said all that, I'm really not enjoying breastfeeding, personally.She's only three weeks and she's feeding fine, but I'm getting stressed by the total dependency of it, and the amount of time it's taking every day, and how it's only me that can ever seem to do anything for her.And if I'm honest-the leaking breasts, the bras, the tops, the whole thing.I have another child too and I just feel totally awful about the whole thing right now and ready to give up.

I know it's not really right to say you hate it for those kind of reasons, especially when the actual feeding is easy for me, but I'm so tired and fed up now, I no longer care that much what people think...... :-(

Can you get any break using the soother? I'm only on day 9 of bf'ing my newborn but when she's after a long feed I can leave her for a time with the soother (better in Daddy/Granny's arms) while I e.g. hang out clothes, put on washing,, eat a meal etc. Also I have a ring sling. If you feed them in it they fall asleep & sleep for ages while you have your 2 hands free....I made lasagne with her asleep in the ring sling hanging off me yesterday.

I have introduced a bottle of formula at bedtime.She's taking it fine-gulping it down in fact-so if I'm stuck at least I know she'll take one. We do use a soother but she's very hit and miss with it.It can be an awful nuisance because she spits it out and you have to keep reinserting. I don't realy like using it unless I'm trying to get her to sleep. As for slings, we have an ergobaby which she tolerates...sometimes....for sleeping in.At nine days, she was happy enough in the sling, but at five weeks-and a VERY alert five weeks-the sling restricts her view of the world :-) Her sibling was the same. They don't make it easy.
    Hollymartins I do know someone who had a hungry baby!Six weeks is still very early to tell,but this baby fed very often all the way to six months, every 90mins to two hours.Needless to say, nighttimes were a disaster!

We are going ok here still, but my supply hasnt really settled.She misses feeds due to being very awake, so when she sleeps it can be for very long periods but not always.I often end up leaking.Then at other times I wonder is there enough in there for her, as she feeds frequently.Wind is also our no.1 enemy right now.

I can see it probably does get easier but I am leaning very much to combination feeding right now, with bottles at nighttime and breast during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My son was/is a very frequent feeder. He fed every 1-2 hours until about 5-6 months, then fed a bit less often during the day but every 2 hours all night every night until he was about 10 months, maybe more. I went back to work when he was 4 months. You get used to it :) At 13 months now he never goes longer than 4-5 hours during the day and still every 2-3 hours at night.

He's huge, is it any wonder! Such chubby little arms, 90-95 centile for weight and height, everyone think he looks older but I think that's mostly because he's upright walking rather than crawling so looks older. It was/is difficult to get such broken sleep but in my miserable moments I consoled myself with the fact that I NEVER had to worry if he was getting enough! :D

As for slings, we have an ergobaby which she tolerates...sometimes....for sleeping in.At nine days, she was happy enough in the sling, but at five weeks-and a VERY alert five weeks-the sling restricts her view of the world :-) Her sibling was the same. They don't make it easy.

I also have a normal Ergo since no.1, wish I had an Ergo 360!!
    No.1 would only go in the Ergo with the soother, the 2 had to go hand-in-hand

The last two days have been a lot better, while he's still feeding every 1 to 2 hours during the day he will now tolerate being left on his play mat for a few minutes without crying or needing to be held or nursed, and he's sleeping better. That makes the frequent feeding easier. I have managed to express milk and that seems to going okay, I'm using a manual pump and I'm in two minds if I should buy an electric pump. Do any of you ladies use a pump and if so do you have any recommendations or should I just stay with the manual? I can express about 4-6 oz at the moment, would the electric pump be worthwhile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The last two days have been a lot better, while he's still feeding every 1 to 2 hours during the day he will now tolerate being left on his play mat for a few minutes without crying or needing to be held or nursed, and he's sleeping better. That makes the frequent feeding easier. I have managed to express milk and that seems to going okay, I'm using a manual pump and I'm in two minds if I should buy an electric pump. Do any of you ladies use a pump and if so do you have any recommendations or should I just stay with the manual? I can express about 4-6 oz at the moment, would the electric pump be worthwhile?

I have a medela swing, and I find it good. With my first, I also tried an avent manual and got not one drop. It's just different strokes for different folks- if you're getting 4-6oz, that's a fine amount- be careful you don't overdo it, because you don't want to give your supply a huge boost.
    If you're happy enough to continue with the manual, then do- electric might be a bit less work (but I do so hate the milking machine noise!). Some tesco stores seem to have been selling off pumps lately, might be worth checking out your local. I saw someone on another site post the other day that there local tesco was selling a medela mini electric for really small money.
    There is a lot of discussion also re open vs closed system pumps- closed is probably more preferable (medela are open). Open pumps shouldn't be passed on to another person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I have introduced a bottle of formula at bedtime.She's taking it fine-gulping it down in fact-so if I'm stuck at least I know she'll take one. We do use a soother but she's very hit and miss with it.It can be an awful nuisance because she spits it out and you have to keep reinserting. I don't realy like using it unless I'm trying to get her to sleep. As for slings, we have an ergobaby which she tolerates...sometimes....for sleeping in.At nine days, she was happy enough in the sling, but at five weeks-and a VERY alert five weeks-the sling restricts her view of the world :-) Her sibling was the same. They don't make it easy.
    Hollymartins I do know someone who had a hungry baby!Six weeks is still very early to tell,but this baby fed very often all the way to six months, every 90mins to two hours.Needless to say, nighttimes were a disaster!

We are going ok here still, but my supply hasnt really settled.She misses feeds due to being very awake, so when she sleeps it can be for very long periods but not always.I often end up leaking.Then at other times I wonder is there enough in there for her, as she feeds frequently.Wind is also our no.1 enemy right now.

I can see it probably does get easier but I am leaning very much to combination feeding right now, with bottles at nighttime and breast during the day.

I'd really advise looking up paced bottle feeding as otherwise your baby may start refusing the breast altogether. Also, breastmilk at night is so good for them and is full of sleepy hormones to help both you and baby sleep better so it wouldn't be advised to introduce formula at night.

Can I ask you about what you mean about missing feeds? Breastfed babies are fed on demand so if baby is sleeping, let them sleep. When awake, give boob whenever baby is looking for it. You don't need to worry about missing feeds if you're feeding on demand. Trust your body - your body grew this baby in you, it can produce enough milk for your baby too. You know that your baby is getting enough by the number of nappy output per 24 hours (look up the kellymom website for info).

Also, soothers aren't advised either because it can hinder milk supply as you can miss cues that baby wants to breastfeed.

All babies are "hungry", just like all adults are "hungry". Breastfed babies feed little and often, some take a longer time to feed, others are very quick feeders - nothing to do with one being more hungry than another, it's just how the baby prefers to feed.

It is also totally normal for babies to wake multiple times at night! That's how they are designed. That's not meant to be patronising by the way - just many people (including myself) incorrectly think that babies should be sleeping 12 hours straight at night from 6 weeks. Once I realised that wasn't actually normal, I became more accepting of the nighttime wakings because it's normal healthy baby behaviour. It's actually a defence against SIDS - so wakings at night are a good, healthy thing, not a thing to prevent.

So last week my baby was constantly feeding but as he was 6 weeks I thought this was the growth spurt that everyone mentions. I thought his feeding had stabilised by the end of the week but over the last few days he's back to being constantly hungry and crying every time I try to put him down. Is this still the growth spurt or is he just going to be like this for another few weeks? I expressed milk yesterday and my husband was able to feed him but today I haven't had any time to do it. It's disappointing as I thought I'd be able to express and then have some respite but I can't see that happening.

So many people from my friends to my doctor and PHN have said it gets easier once he hits the 6 weeks mark so for him to still be as hungry as ever is pretty disheartening especially when I read for some people it didn't get easier until their baby was a few months old.

The early weeks are tough going. It really is hard but it does get easier. Why are you expressing? It's just that it wouldn't be advised to express that early (unless under medical advice) as your milk supply is still being established. Expressing also is hassle because you have to pump, clean bottles, etc. so you may get some respite in that you don't need to feed at a certain time, but you use up time in expressing and cleaning bottles.

Would you consider a sling? Your baby is still so new to this world, they just want to be close to you as you are their security and comfort.

Have you checked out the wonder weeks app? There's lots of things going on for a baby of that age - growth spurts, developmental leaps, etc. All of that equals baby wanting boob all the time.

I went for a meal tonight with friends, and left my mam minding my boys. Baby 5mo, usually takes a bottle no problem- nuk bottle, latex teat.
    I handed my mam a brand new bottle, and a separate latex teat, and asked her to wash the bottle as its new.

I fed him at 6.45, left a short while later.
    9.25 I text "how are things". "Not good, won't take bottle, come home, don't delay".
    I get home and he's howling. I fed him, he went straight to sleep. And there's the bottle sitting there- silicone teat in situ, and the latex one beside the sink. I obviously wasn't specific enough. Throwing 4 oz of milk down the drain is a bit upsetting!
    It'll also be a while before my mam offers to babysit again!

Argh how annoying Jim29! Your night out interrupted for no reason when you had everything in place for it to be a success!

I'm breastfeeding a newborn she's 11 days old now. It's my second baby. I'm stuck in this cycle day and night whereby I feed til baby is finished and delatches themselves, then I feel I should burp her and in burping her she wakes up and wants the boob again. Hard to know what to do as I don't like to leave her sleeping with wind as she grunts and groans in her sleep with it, particulary at night and it can be hard to sleep through the noise.

The last two days have been a lot better, while he's still feeding every 1 to 2 hours during the day he will now tolerate being left on his play mat for a few minutes without crying or needing to be held or nursed,

I bought this and it's a sanity saver. It swings the child, plays a choice of noises (birds chirping, white noise, music etc) and has a mirror and a mobile hanging over them. It's just great to have somewhere you can put them down after a feed apart from lying down in their crib/bed/basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iwK6tl8M8

tinkerbell wrote: »
    The early weeks are tough going. It really is hard but it does get easier. Why are you expressing? It's just that it wouldn't be advised to express that early (unless under medical advice) as your milk supply is still being established. Expressing also is hassle because you have to pump, clean bottles, etc. so you may get some respite in that you don't need to feed at a certain time, but you use up time in expressing and cleaning bottles.

Would you consider a sling? Your baby is still so new to this world, they just want to be close to you as you are their security and comfort.

Have you checked out the wonder weeks app? There's lots of things going on for a baby of that age - growth spurts, developmental leaps, etc. All of that equals baby wanting boob all the time.

No I haven't that app but I'll check it out. I have tried the sling but I have joint problems and it was very uncomfortable for me.

I thought I could begin to express after 6 weeks? That's what the PHN and my GP told me. The reason is that I have to be away from him for one evening at the end of May and I want him to get used to being fed with a bottle when his grandparents babysit for the evening. So my plan was to express just enough for a feed each evening until then so that my husband or I could bottle feed him so he is comfortable with it. I will be away from him for 7-8 hours. But you think it's too early to try that? I bought Nuk bottles as they were recommended to me so he wouldn't refuse the breast during feeds

Lucuma wrote: »
    I bought this and it's a sanity saver. It swings the child, plays a choice of noises (birds chirping, white noise, music etc) and has a mirror and a mobile hanging over them. It's just great to have somewhere you can put them down after a feed apart from lying down in their crib/bed/basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iwK6tl8M8

Wow that looks amazing, we have a bouncer but nothing like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I thought I could begin to express after 6 weeks? That's what the PHN and my GP told me. The reason is that I have to be away from him for one evening at the end of May and I want him to get used to being fed with a bottle when his grandparents babysit for the evening. So my plan was to express just enough for a feed each evening until then so that my husband or I could bottle feed him so he is comfortable with it. I will be away from him for 7-8 hours. But you think it's too early to try that? I bought Nuk bottles as they were recommended to me so he wouldn't refuse the breast during feeds

Of course you can, you're following an excellent schedule. Once you are happy that your supply is established and pumping is not affected feeding then go ahead.

I expressed with both from 4 weeks, I had no issues and like you, I had a night out at 8 weeks I couldn't miss. Once I started pumping I continued to do so every morning and kept a stockpile in the freezer.

Yes that's exactly my plan. I was going to express enough in the morning when my breasts are full just so I can freeze a small amount every day and build up a supply for my evening away and also express a little that I can give him some from the bottle during the evening, it never satisfies him as it's maybe 1 or 2 oz, I always have to feed him from the breast once he finishes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Yes that's exactly my plan. I was going to express enough in the morning when my breasts are full just so I can freeze a small amount every day and build up a supply for my evening away and also express a little that I can give him some from the bottle during the evening, it never satisfies him as it's maybe 1 or 2 oz, I always have to feed him from the breast once he finishes :)

Mine would either guzzle 4ozs or mess and have 2oz, but always liked the breast afterwards for comfort. Neither loved the bottle but as a short term substituent for when I wasn't there it worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

No I haven't that app but I'll check it out. I have tried the sling but I have joint problems and it was very uncomfortable for me.

6 weeks is generally given as fine. Just a word of warning about your night out. I left babs at 8 weeks for a night out - after about 4 hours I couldn't focus with the searing pain in my bombs and ended up hand expressing in the bathroom! If you can bring a pump do.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Of course it's fine to express now! Sounds like your a dab hand getting the 4 oz that's great! I used to express in the morning too to build up my freezer supply and after a few weeks of that I started expressing in the evening too as my husband used to give a feed at 22:00 so I would express so my supply wouldn't be affected by a dropped feed! The freezer stash was great when I had to go back to work!

Argh how annoying Jim29! Your night out interrupted for no reason when you had everything in place for it to be a success!

I'm breastfeeding a newborn she's 11 days old now. It's my second baby. I'm stuck in this cycle day and night whereby I feed til baby is finished and delatches themselves, then I feel I should burp her and in burping her she wakes up and wants the boob again. Hard to know what to do as I don't like to leave her sleeping with wind as she grunts and groans in her sleep with it, particulary at night and it can be hard to sleep through the noise.

Exact same problem here with a six week old. I'm so glad someone else's child grunts and groans in their sleep too, our older one never did that! We don't feed to sleep in this house, doesn't work!! I've stopped trying, looking on it as a way to make me get her into a good sleeping routine at a later date and break the food/sleep connection early :) I've just had to find other ways to get her to fall asleep, and yes, I've introduced the soother (terrible parent). She's actually taking to it quite well. Generally wrap her up nice and warm and carry her around and she sleeps, or else she goes in the sling. It's time consuming but sure what are my options, really.

She does have silent reflux I think, so it's making it a bit trickier, she tends to wake easily during the day. But then, feeding to sleep wouldn't help that situation either. However she is sleeping 7 straight hours at night the last 2 nights, and previous to that, had been sleeping up 5 hours in a row for a couple of weeks. So I'll run with that :)

Wow that looks amazing, we have a bouncer but nothing like that :)

I got it about a fortnight ago in Smyths

Oops, my apologies! I misread your post - I thought you said your baby was under 6 weeks, not was actually 6 weeks. So yes it is perfectly fine to express now! Have you looked up paced bottle feeding?

If you're going to be away for 8 hours, you may need to express while you're out as your boobs may become way too uncomfortable.

Exact same problem here with a six week old. I'm so glad someone else's child grunts and groans in their sleep too, our older one never did that! We don't feed to sleep in this house, doesn't work!! I've stopped trying, looking on it as a way to make me get her into a good sleeping routine at a later date and break the food/sleep connection early :) I've just had to find other ways to get her to fall asleep, and yes, I've introduced the soother (terrible parent). She's actually taking to it quite well. Generally wrap her up nice and warm and carry her around and she sleeps, or else she goes in the sling. It's time consuming but sure what are my options, really.

She does have silent reflux I think, so it's making it a bit trickier, she tends to wake easily during the day. But then, feeding to sleep wouldn't help that situation either. However she is sleeping 7 straight hours at night the last 2 nights, and previous to that, had been sleeping up 5 hours in a row for a couple of weeks. So I'll run with that :)

7 hours straight with no soother reinsertion required? That's amazing at that age. I'd say you're so glad of the rest.

My first one grunted and groaned as well but it was only a phase and stopped after a while. I didn't think it started as early as this though, this one has been grunting since she was born.
    She doesn't really do it if she's sleeping next to me or on me in the bed so there's been a lot of that going on, as it's the only way I can get some sleep. She grunts & groans really bad if I put her lying on her back in the crib.

She's 2 weeks tomorrow so for now I'm just surviving and will worry about getting her into a good sleeping routine in a few weeks when things stabilise and feeds start developing into some kind of pattern.

7 hours straight with no soother reinsertion required? That's amazing at that age. I'd say you're so glad of the rest.

My first one grunted and groaned as well but it was only a phase and stopped after a while. I didn't think it started as early as this though, this one has been grunting since she was born.
    She doesn't really do it if she's sleeping next to me or on me in the bed so there's been a lot of that going on, as it's the only way I can get some sleep. She grunts & groans really bad if I put her lying on her back in the crib.

She's 2 weeks tomorrow so for now I'm just surviving and will worry about getting her into a good sleeping routine in a few weeks when things stabilise and feeds start developing into some kind of pattern.

Sleeping routine??? Let me know how that works when you figure it out!!! 22 weeks here, and I can count on one hand the number of times my boy has slept in his bed by day. My first was a great sleeper. One of those babies who was put into bed and just went to sleep. This one.... Not so much! I used think people who put their babies in the buggy, car etc to make them go asleep were half cracked.... Now I am that solider!

Yeah she's five and a half weeks, so she's doing well.Funny. she's the same, grunting is less when with in me.She drops off herself after a feed around nine and sleeps the seven hours.I can't really claim any credit, she's doing it herself.The thing is she's very awake during the day.I was laughing at your post about your first jlm....do such babies exist?Both of mine have been 'alert' and 'awake' babies not a hope of either of them just dropping off during the day.I worked hard to get a nap routine in place for my first and teach her to drop off to sleep herself, but it took hours of sitting beside the cot or coming in every ten mins, making sure I was at home for at least one nap every day and in the car or out with the buggy for the other, so she could sleep .I think this one will be the same but how the hell I'm going to do it with a toddler in the house, I don't know.

My first had silent reflux and slept well at night, and my second looks to be the same so far, but I think the nightime thing is because they sleep so little during the day, even though they do get tired.It's tough somedays.Lucuma, my little one is grunting and groaning most with gas going down I've noticed.I have put her on her side the odd time, and she sleeps better that way.I don't really like doing it and I wedge towels and blankets around her to keep her in place.I'm paranoid about doing it though so havent done it often but it has helped.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    My first was a great sleeper. One of those babies who was put into bed and just went to sleep.

Same with mine. I live in hope I'll have another one of them. And if hope doesn't work, denial will keep me going for a while! :-)

I've so many sleeping problems myself that I'll have to do whatever it takes to get the baby to sleep through the night as early as possible. My first was bottle fed from 3 weeks. Hopefully bf for a bit longer this time around! That sounds like hard work, how are you holding up during the day after the broken sleep?

Advertisement