Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You can write to the bottle companies and ask them to send you a sample? I know someone who did that and it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Hi..just looking for a little reassurance that our nights are normal-ish or some advice if not!
    My 6 month old has been waking frequently 1.5-2 hrs for the last 2 months. She's exclusively BF.
    She takes 2 naps during the day (1.5-2 hrs) and goes down no bother in her crib upstairs.
    Any suggestions as to how to extend out the time between the night wakings?? She usually feeds well during the night and settles down quickly again. I know that overall I could have it a lot worse but I would love 3-4 hrs sleep blocks at night..I'm surviving but I know that I'm not 100% myself these days. The continuous tiredness has caught up on me!..I want my spark back!!
    We're thinking of moving her into her own room soon..hoping that when she wakes and doesn't sense/see me she'll fall back asleep again..any opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Teeley wrote: »
    Hi..just looking for a little reassurance that our nights are normal-ish or some advice if not!
    My 6 month old has been waking frequently 1.5-2 hrs for the last 2 months. She's exclusively BF.
    She takes 2 naps during the day (1.5-2 hrs) and goes down no bother in her crib upstairs.
    Any suggestions as to how to extend out the time between the night wakings?? She usually feeds well during the night and settles down quickly again. I know that overall I could have it a lot worse but I would love 3-4 hrs sleep blocks at night..I'm surviving but I know that I'm not 100% myself these days. The continuous tiredness has caught up on me!..I want my spark back!!
    We're thinking of moving her into her own room soon..hoping that when she wakes and doesn't sense/see me she'll fall back asleep again..any opinions??

i feel your pain! We had similar here, from four months onwards. I was afraid to move him to his own room, because I felt my sleep would be more disturbed, but I did at about 8 mo, and it wasn't too bad. He was still waking twice most nights though. And going into him was a bit of a dose. He is now 13mo, and sleeping way better the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ladies, have any of yer lo's dropped more than two weight centiles?

I have another weigh-in with the PHN this week. By 3 months lo had dropped from 75 to 25 percentile. I'm after weighing her now on the normal scales here at home (taking the difference of my weight minus hers) and I'm really really worried. If my scales are right she's dropped into the 3rd percentile. I wish I hadn't weighed her, I haven't been doing it up till now so iv nothing to work from in terms of how shes gaining week to week from our scales.
    She's 22 weeks this weekend and I was planning on starting solids in the next two weeks. Looking at her, iv no worries. She's happy, so alert, so strong, always on the go, meeting all milestones on target and some a bit early and always seems satisfied after feeds. I was talking to a GP nurse and a dietician over the Christmas and both said that from their pov there was nothing to worry about with her - they had both spent a lot of time with her, one has children and both work or have worked with babies in the community.

I'm so scared. What does this mean? If my calculations are right, what will happen? What is the PHN likely to advise?

At her 3 month check up the PHN advised/suggested starting solids at 18 weeks. I didn't and now I'm regretting it. Selfishly I'm also not ready to give up bfing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's not advised to start solids until 26 weeks, to start at 17 weeks is old and poor advice so you did the right thing not doing that.

• Advertisement

Aww I know, that's why I didn't. I wasn't happy with 18 weeks, but the PHN caught me off guard at the time - solids was the last thing I was thinking of at 13 weeks old. I was also chatting to lo's aunt at the time (who's the dietician) and she advised 6 months, although she said 24 weeks would be good which is around about the time I had always planned in my head.

I don't want to get an ear full from PHN though for making a judgement call and not taking her advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ladies, have any of yer lo's dropped more than two weight centiles?

I have another weigh-in with the PHN this week. By 3 months lo had dropped from 75 to 25 percentile. I'm after weighing her now on the normal scales here at home (taking the difference of my weight minus hers) and I'm really really worried. If my scales are right she's dropped into the 3rd percentile. I wish I hadn't weighed her, I haven't been doing it up till now so iv nothing to work from in terms of how shes gaining week to week from our scales.
    She's 22 weeks this weekend and I was planning on starting solids in the next two weeks. Looking at her, iv no worries. She's happy, so alert, so strong, always on the go, meeting all milestones on target and some a bit early and always seems satisfied after feeds. I was talking to a GP nurse and a dietician over the Christmas and both said that from their pov there was nothing to worry about with her - they had both spent a lot of time with her, one has children and both work or have worked with babies in the community.

I'm so scared. What does this mean? If my calculations are right, what will happen? What is the PHN likely to advise?

At her 3 month check up the PHN advised/suggested starting solids at 18 weeks. I didn't and now I'm regretting it. Selfishly I'm also not ready to give up bfing yet.

My little fella is only 11 weeks but from all the breastfeeding groups I'm in touch with, for BF babies it isn't all about weight gain. If she's happy and alert and having lots of wet and dirty nappies then it sounds like you're doing a great job. If the PHN is worried that your little one isn't gaining weight it's not cos you're not feeding her well - can't give them anything better than breastmilk! Maybe she's just small or maybe she's about to have a growth spurt. All babies are different. If the PHN is worried and sends you to a Paediatrician, just go along - no harm checking everything is ok which I'm sure it is. Just remember exclusively breast feed for 26 weeks and then start weening onto food.

From what you're saying, sounds like you're a great mum and just keep doing what you're doing. From all accounts, PHNs are a mixed bag. I'm lucky to have gotten one of the good ones who is pro BF. She helped me through a very rough start and I'm now really enjoying the feeding.

Also, I'm not sure if you local health centre does this but mine has a BF support group on Thursdays where you can go get the baby weighed and talk to mums and a PHN about any issues you're having - I found that helpful. I also attend Cuidiu meetings which I find really supportive and helpful - maybe try find one locally?

Finally, it is not selfish to continue BF beyond 6 months - WHO recommends BF til 2 years apparently. Lots of people continue to BF long beyond the 6 months. I always said I'd do it for 6 months but now not so sure, may go longer!

Don't worry about it until you need to. Your scales, or hers, for that matter could be out by a bit. I know there's two scales in my mams house, and they differ by 4-5lbs.
    Hopefully when the PHN weighs her again, it'll be fine!

Don't worry about it until you need to. Your scales, or hers, for that matter could be out by a bit. I know there's two scales in my mams house, and they differ by 4-5lbs.
    Hopefully when the PHN weighs her again, it'll be fine!

Thanks Levi!
    The two things everyone comments on, from the time she was born was how alert she was and how strong she is - she loves standing it's crazy! Has plenty of wet nappies, poos every 3/4 days, but has done this since she was 5 or so weeks old, mentioned it to the GP at the 6 week appointment and she said it's nothing to worry about that it's normal for bf babies. I don't normally keep any record or even think about how often shes fed in a 24 HR period, but today I was working it out and I think it will be 8 times. She sleeps the full night so feeds start around 5.30/6 and bed time is usually around 9.

Ya there's a few breastfeeding groups around. I had great plans but never ended up going to any. I'd an emergency c section so couldn't drive for the first few weeks, and after that I felt good with how we were doing and just never ended up going to one. The HSE one through my primary care centre is in another town which is 35/40 minutes away. There are two in my local towns which are only 15 mins away, but we're caught in between districts.

Ya, personally I think she was born big and is just settling out to her own size. With a couple exceptions no-one on either side is particularly big. It's just unnerving that she's dropped so many percentiles.

One thing that does have me worried is that just before her 3 month check up I changed my diet - well made it healthier because my weight was going in the wrong direction - I first cut out ****e and then the unnecessary snacking (which usually wasn't the healthiest). I don't go hungry or Anything, but don't now eat for the sake of it/boredom/comfort etc etc etc. How much of an impact would this have? I'm not 'dieting', just making healthier choices in what I eat, I was overweight when I got pregnant and now back down to pre-pregnancy weight and my aim is to get back to a normal bmi.

My PHN seems pro breastfeeding, but at the same time the default, when it's not going how it says in the text book, seems to be to push formula on bfing mother's. Iv no issue what so ever with formula but for me it's all or nothing with bfing. I know you can combi feed, but I don't think that's for me. So the selfish comment has more to do with me not wanting to supplement, but I also don't want to put my lo at any risk.

• Advertisement

Thanks jlm29, that's what my OH keeps telling me! Hopefully that's all that's in it.

Definitely go to a bf support group, it'll be worth the 15 minute drive. We have a health centre in town and a Cuidiu group and women travel up to 40 minutes to get to them, you can learn so much, get such great help and hear others experiences. It's not too late to go now!

Are you on any bf facebook pages? They're very helpful too and easily accessed.

Changing to a healthier diet wouldn't have a negative effect imo, I did the same when my son was 8 weeks old and it made no difference to him at all.

Your diet wouldn't be related to baby's weight loss/gain. I lost three stone while feeding my first and he was a chunk. (My second is also a chunk, but I seem to have gained a stone and a half whilst feeding him!).
    Your body will look after baby first, and once you're eating heAlthily, you'll be looked after too!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Agree with above two posts - no matter what you eat, baby will get what she needs. Sounds like your doing great looking after yourself.

I think attending a Cuidiu or La Leche meeting would do you the world of good. It's never too late, they're really welcoming to new members.

Thanks a million ladies! Anything I read online about trying to lose weight while bfing was that it can affect your milk/supply etc.
    I asked my PHN about going to the one in my main town (my care centre is one side while the other care centre for the main population of the town and where support group is located are on the other side) and she didn't know whether I could go or not..... I didn't want to just rock up and then as bubs got older I didn't know if it would be weird showing up. I'm also not the best at going into a group when I know no-one. There's a cuidiu group in the town though, so I might head along to that.
    I'm not on fb anymore, disabled my profile ages ago....

You can go to any group, nobody's ever questioned anyone's address at any I've been at! And there'll usually be women feeding children from newborn up to 2+ so definitely not too late to go! We've our local Cuidiu group tomorrow now and there's always new women with babies 0-9ish months, then us regulars with children 1-3ish, some drop in if they're visiting family locally or have heard its a good group, they're very open and welcoming.

You can go to any group, nobody's ever questioned anyone's address at any I've been at! And there'll usually be women feeding children from newborn up to 2+ so definitely not too late to go! We've our local Cuidiu group tomorrow now and there's always new women with babies 0-9ish months, then us regulars with children 1-3ish, some drop in if they're visiting family locally or have heard its a good group, they're very open and welcoming.

Aw cool. Thanks a million spottybananas. I'll drop the lady that runs the cuidiu group an email tomorrow and get the details off her.
    I think I'm going to stay at home for a while with bubs, so it would also be good to get out and about and meeting new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You can definitely show up at any HSE breastfeeding group! It's not a thing where they check your name and address, it's there to support. And as for the PHN recommending solids at 18 weeks, it seems every PHN recommends solids to start at 17 weeks for some reason! Don't see what the advantage is in starting early in the majority of cases?
     http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/B/Babies,-weaning
     I started at 6 months or thereabouts and actually baby didn't really start eating solids properly til 8 months. I was ebf for 2 months and combi feeding after that.

Lucuma they recommend it because that's their most up to date outdated advice :( Same reason they give so many women awful breastfeeding advice, they need further more up to date training. Food before 1 is just for fun! :)

Hey ladies!

Firstly I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that advised I go the a breastfeeding group. I finally took the plunge and went to the HSE one on Thursday. Baby had gained as little weight as I had thought, but the lactation consultant plotted her at the 9th rather than the 3rd, which was good (she is gaining, just at a fast slower rate than they would expect - I keep wording/thinking she's losing weight, but she's not)

The lactation consultant couldn't see any issues when I was feeding her, i have to use sheilds, which has always had me worried, but she didn't think they were having a negative impact from looking at her nurse and from my answers to her questions - huge relief i have to say.
    She has suggested I do two power pumps a day to try up my supply a bit and to get my oh to give my lo 6oz extra milk via bottle a day coz she won't nurse extra from me, but she thought she might take some from my oh. Thankfully formula was only mentioned as an option rather than something I should do (iv no issues with formula, but it's all or nothing for me with bfing and I'm not ready to give up yet as long as muggins isn't at risk). Both the lactation consultant and the PHN suggested solids, we spoke to the dietician and she said that considering everything it wouldn't be a bad idea. I was pretty sure developmentally my lo was ready. So Friday we started her on carrot. Thankfully there was no gagging or other refelxes, and we couldn't get the spoon into her mouth quick enough! She's loving her food and wolfing it down! Such a butter sweet moment for me.

The PHN wants her back in two weeks to check her weight again. She said that while she wants to keep an eye on her weight that she's not too worried as she's flying in every other aspect. So the plan is to load her up with as many calories (in a healthy way of course) and hope that at a minimum she maintains the 9th percentile. We also have a GP appointment just to get her checked out to make sure there's nothing else going on and I suppose the reassurance as well.

So thanks a million ladies for the advice. I'm still worried, but feeling a bit more confident than I was last week.

• Advertisement

That's great. Remember though with the solids that gagging is a good thing, it shows that baby's reflexes are doing the right thing so don't worry if it happens. Their gag reflex is much further forward than ours so they gag more easily as this protective measure, it's not as big a deal to them at all as it would be if food made an adult gag.

That's great. Remember though with the solids that gagging is a good thing, it shows that baby's reflexes are doing the right thing so don't worry if it happens. Their gag reflex is much further forward than ours so they gag more easily as this protective measure, it's not as big a deal to them at all as it would be if food made an adult gag.

Ya, I was fully expecting her to gag. I knew to expect it and that it didn't really mean anything if she did, but I was still nervous at the same time. She's flying it though, really loving all we've given her so far. I think she's gonna be a little food monster! And now she's 'holding' the bottles as were feeding her the expressed milk! She's finally made the connection of bottle = milk, such a change from a few weeks ago when she was point blank refusing them!

Oh and my OH put her to bed tonight! I didn't know what to do with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi, after a ropey few weeks after my daughter was born, here I am almost 10 months in and Im still feeding her. Although I love it, she has me up still several times a night for a feed. I'm also due back to work soon so thinking it might be time to knock it on the head. Thing is, I haven't a clue how or what to do?! Do I stop cold turkey? How do I stop becoming engorged? What do I replace breastmilk with? Can I give cows milk at 10 months?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi, after a ropey few weeks after my daughter was born, here I am almost 10 months in and Im still feeding her. Although I love it, she has me up still several times a night for a feed. I'm also due back to work soon so thinking it might be time to knock it on the head. Thing is, I haven't a clue how or what to do?! Do I stop cold turkey? How do I stop becoming engorged? What do I replace breastmilk with? Can I give cows milk at 10 months?

Are you keen to stop altogether? I know some ppl have night weaned before 1, though it's not recommended. I'm still feeding my second at 14 mths, and he's slowly improving at night!
    I weaned my first fully between 6 and 7 months. I just replaced one feed at a time with a bottle. I think the advice is to drop a feed every few days, or maybe once a week. It depends on how your body reacts. Some peoples engorgement settles faster than others. Under 1, you need to give formula, cows milk can't be a main drink at that age.
    Good luck!
    ETA- breastfeeding may not be the reason for the bad sleep, your baby might be a bad sleeper anyhow! On the other hand, at least you can share night feeds if not bf.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Are you keen to stop altogether? I know some ppl have night weaned before 1, though it's not recommended. I'm still feeding my second at 14 mths, and he's slowly improving at night!
    I weaned my first fully between 6 and 7 months. I just replaced one feed at a time with a bottle. I think the advice is to drop a feed every few days, or maybe once a week. It depends on how your body reacts. Some peoples engorgement settles faster than others. Under 1, you need to give formula, cows milk can't be a main drink at that age.
    Good luck!
    ETA- breastfeeding may not be the reason for the bad sleep, your baby might be a bad sleeper anyhow! On the other hand, at least you can share night feeds if not bf.

No i'm not keen to stop. I love the closeness it allows us but at night she's a disaster! I don't think she's waking for feeds but she point blank refuses to settle until she gets the breast. We don't particularly have a day routine (which I'll have to fix before she goes to minder) but she's not bothered looking for breast during the day. I'm really just thinking its time to stop and try build a routine for her and get her sleeping through the night without having to get breast.

No i'm not keen to stop. I love the closeness it allows us but at night she's a disaster! I don't think she's waking for feeds but she point blank refuses to settle until she gets the breast. We don't particularly have a day routine (which I'll have to fix before she goes to minder) but she's not bothered looking for breast during the day. I'm really just thinking its time to stop and try build a routine for her and get her sleeping through the night without having to get breast.

I haven't night weaned, but it's definitely something you could consider if you want to keep feeding. There's a book by jay Gordon about night weaning, and another called "the no cry sleep solution" that might be worth looking at. I've never read either, but seen them highly recommended!

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and we'll done for how much you've done so far, you've given a great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I went back to work recently and am still feeding. The night waking / feeds are tough. He is clingy / looking for comfort, I'm guessing cos his whole world changed when I went back. What I'm trying to say is if you are going to wean / night wean I'd try to do it either a while before or a while after you go back to work so it's one less thing for them to get used to at the time when you do go back.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I went back to work recently and am still feeding. The night waking / feeds are tough. He is clingy / looking for comfort, I'm guessing cos his whole world changed when I went back. What I'm trying to say is if you are going to wean / night wean I'd try to do it either a while before or a while after you go back to work so it's one less thing for them to get used to at the time when you do go back.

I have 8 weeks to do it. I just really need to decide that I want do it and not go about it half hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a 10 month old as well - I'm back in work 2 months and we're still boobing away. He usually wakes twice a night for feeds which is manageable because he settles very quickly once he's had boob and he's a quick feeder. My supply is dropping though - as of this week I don't feel the need to pump during the day any more for comfort. He's feeding first thing in the morning, straight away when I get home from work, bedtime and twice during the night, he takes lots of food at nursery, a small bit of water and 5-10oz of formula during the day if he needs extra milk.

• Advertisement

For the first time since my lo regained her birth weight she's held the same percentile! Now to see if she holds it going forward!

Advertisement