Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I got my first proper question about how long I was going to breastfeed bubs last night! 'would you not stop to give yourself a break' was how it was worded! The lady is a very close family member, and meant no harm by it. She didn't breastfeed herself and I know she was surprised when she heard I was going to try it, so I think it was just from not knowing much about bfing! May be she's starting to think it's a bit weird ;-o!!!!

I'm almost officially breastfeeding 6 months (bubs was born on a sunday, Tuesday by the date). It's a very small thing in the larger scheme of things, but I'm very proud of myself! I never had an end date, but realistically I never expected to make it this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

scarepanda wrote:
    I'm almost officially breastfeeding 6 months (bubs was born on a sunday, Tuesday by the date). It's a very small thing in the larger scheme of things, but I'm very proud of myself! I never had an end date, but realistically I never expected to make it this far.

Well done on getting to the 6 month mark. You should feel proud it's a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Well done on getting to 6 months! I found they stopped asking when I was planning on stopping after a year :)

Thanks a million ladies!

I'm kinda thinking of trying to go for the year now. I feel that at about 8 weeks we turned a corner and since then bring has been grand. Or at least the actual act of feeding her. There's still the issue with weight gain, but we've an appointment with a pediatrician coming up to check her out.
    I don't want to commit though to going to the year mark incase it doesn't happen. Iv to go for an operation in the next few months, hopefully if everything stays as it is now it won't be till the middle of the summer, but I don't really know the practicalities of being able to feed/pump while I'm in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

scarepanda wrote: »
    I got my first proper question about how long I was going to breastfeed bubs last night! 'would you not stop to give yourself a break' was how it was worded! The lady is a very close family member, and meant no harm by it. She didn't breastfeed herself and I know she was surprised when she heard I was going to try it, so I think it was just from not knowing much about bfing! May be she's starting to think it's a bit weird ;-o!!!!

Well done scarepanda! You must be very proud of yourself.

• Advertisement

Scarepanda you could ask lactation consultant or on helpful breastfeeding fb groups re surgery/pumping etc. I didn't aim for any milestone, I thought I wouldn't get to breastfeed at all as he had formula first in scbu. Then I was told I'd have to stop at 2 weeks. Then I kept it up until solids because it was easy and lazy, then it was silly to consider switching to formula at 6 months so I kept going. He's 22 months now and I am actually aiming for 2 years because it's so rare!

Thanks ladies!

Ya, I plan on asking a lactation consultant on what the best thing would be to do/how to manage it. The op is gynae related and last time I had it I was in the antenatal ward, so I would presume there wouldn't be any issue getting a pump a few times a day.

Fair play spottybananas! Sounds like some rollercoaster at the beginning for you. I nearly gave up on day three, Will never forget it. My oh talked me out of making a decision that day because he knew I really wanted to do it and I was having problems with supply and was very sore as well as having a dose of the baby blues. I'll never be able to thank him enough for gently getting me to delay making a decision. Now, I'm just lazy as well and I couldn't care less when or where I have to feed her. I also love the smiles she has when she knows boobies are on offer, it's are priceless!

So we had the pediatric appointment today for my lo about her weight gain. She was hovering around the 3rd percentile since her first weigh-in after Christmas, but had risen to the 9th today. She's gained just shy of 1lb in the last four weeks, which is good for her. The pediatrician had no concerns about her weight gain and said that she's developing perfectly for her age - so that's all reassuring. She also had no issues with the nipple shield etc and no mention of putting her onto/supplementing with formula. She basically just said that breastfed babies are generally leaner and that she's just following her own line, especially as she's so active - the child seriously never stops moving......

She does want to bring her back in a couple of months though to check her head size. I don't think she's overly worried about it, but it is up in the 90th centile I think. She's always had a slightly larger head and it runs in her dad's side of the family so I'm not to concerned about it but I didn't have those measurements today so I think she just wants to see if it's staying along the same percentile before discharging her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to this...I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 15 week old son and after a very rocky start (severe pain with cracked and bleeding nipples!) things mostly settled down and improved hugely after about the 8 week mark! However, I have a very fast letdown which used to make my ds leave the breast spluttering, choking and coughing. While not so extreme now, he still comes off the breast crying and struggling a few times at the beginning of most feeds. I've tried all of Jack Newman's suggestions such as unlatching and letting the milk flow into a cloth, feeding in an upright position, etc. but it still happens. At the moment I'm feeling a bit of cabin fever as I wouldn't be able to feed him in public between the flashing of my boob and his shouts of frustration so I have to plan my day around being home for feeds.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering if anyone has any tips or if anyone had a similar situation and their baby grew out of it and just learnt to deal with the fast flow?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd just go out anyway. Identify somewhere with decent privacy options to begin with and go from there. It gets easier the more you do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

AlwaysDoe wrote: »
    Hello! Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to this...I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 15 week old son and after a very rocky start (severe pain with cracked and bleeding nipples!) things mostly settled down and improved hugely after about the 8 week mark! However, I have a very fast letdown which used to make my ds leave the breast spluttering, choking and coughing. While not so extreme now, he still comes off the breast crying and struggling a few times at the beginning of most feeds. I've tried all of Jack Newman's suggestions such as unlatching and letting the milk flow into a cloth, feeding in an upright position, etc. but it still happens. At the moment I'm feeling a bit of cabin fever as I wouldn't be able to feed him in public between the flashing of my boob and his shouts of frustration so I have to plan my day around being home for feeds.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering if anyone has any tips or if anyone had a similar situation and their baby grew out of it and just learnt to deal with the fast flow?

I tried laid back feeding in the advice of a Ciudiu counsellor along with the expressing into a muslin etc that you've mentioned. The laid back feeding helped a bit but really it was just a case of him growing out of it. I did find it good talking about it to someone so chatting to a Ciudiu counsellor on the phone looking for advice did help. Up to then I had thought there was something seriously wrong! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Some shopping centres have feeding rooms where you can feed in private behind a curtain. Like Arnotts, Brown Thomas, Mahon point in Cork, Douglas shopping centre in Cork these are just off the top of my head. As a first trip you could go to somewhere that you know has a feeding room.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The one in the Dundrum centre is very good - four big armchairs, feeding pillows available, a microwave for heaing baby food etc, toys to distract older children. Went in to feed my son while shopping over the Christmas holidays (he was 9 months then and incredibly easily distracted) and every other mother in there was bottle feeding though!

Thanks Cakerbaker, great to hear hope that he can grow out of it! Do you remember how old your baby was when he got used to the fast letdown?

Thanks as well for advice re feeding whilst out and about...I'm living in the west of Ireland and don't have any large shopping centres with specific feeding rooms in my town. Tbh when my lo is feeding calmly, I would be confident feeding him in a cafe or wherever but it's the frantic beginning to the feeds that makes it difficult...I would be stressed and under pressure feeling that his cries were attracting extra attention while he was pulling off the breast repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

every other mother in there was bottle feeding though!

So?? It's a baby feeding room. Not specific to how you feed your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Thanks Cakerbaker, great to hear hope that he can grow out of it! Do you remember how old your baby was when he got used to the fast letdown?

Thanks as well for advice re feeding whilst out and about...I'm living in the west of Ireland and don't have any large shopping centres with specific feeding rooms in my town. Tbh when my lo is feeding calmly, I would be confident feeding him in a cafe or wherever but it's the frantic beginning to the feeds that makes it difficult...I would be stressed and under pressure feeling that his cries were attracting extra attention while he was pulling off the breast repeatedly.

I can't remember the age but it was a problem (of varying degrees) for about 2 months. I think he was better able to cope with it as he got bigger and more able to deal with it. Someone suggested block feeding to me too, it's where you feed from the sane side for a few feeds so the flow won't be as fast and then you swap over for a few feeds. It can mess with supply though so as far as I remember you should only do it on advice of a LC or a Ciudiu or la leche league counsellor.

I'm also in the West, when my son was 4-8 weeks we struggled with discreet latching on, he just got worked up and flung himself around screeching. I used to go into a bathroom in whatever cafe or shop I was in, sit there calmly and latch him on, then just go back out once he was on. I know some get up in arms re breastfeeding in bathrooms but for me it was/is a handy accessible and plentiful quiet space to take my time, obviously it's not ideal sitting on a closed toilet but for me it was better than searching for a comfy "nice" space, and just get back out to whatever I was doing (usually eating one handed!).

To be honest, it just comes with practice feeding in public. I don't have that strong of a let down most of the time, but i use nipple sheilds so have a bit of faffing about before getting her latched on. I just wrap a muslin cloth around my bra strap to hold it in place and use it to be a bit more discrete (for my own comfort, not anyone elses). There were times in the early weeks that she had no patience when she wanted a feed and would have a cry and a protest, but that's just the way it was. The muslin cloth provided a bit of privacy so that i wasn't flashing anyone when she was having the whinge. The way I looked at it is that i was trying to get the baby quitened down by feeding her, people wouldn't have an issue if baby was crying while i got a bottle, they shouldn't just because I'm getting a boob out.

I would advise sussing out a couple of privateish areas in a cafe/food hall area of a shopping centre and setting up camp there (no feeding rooms anywhere around me either). Get someone to go with you to provide a bit of a distraction for you the first few times and nurse away. Honestly very few, If anyone will even notice you nursing. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Given it'll probably be a weekday, the changing rooms in almost any shop are usually a pretty good option for feeding. Dunnes and penneys have never minded me doing it anyway. Quiet, private, not the bathroom and on a weekday they won't be busy so you sitting in the big corner cubicle for twenty minutes won't bother anyone.

Also all the Marks and Spencers I know of have a great feeding and changing area.

Thanks PhoenixParker, using changing rooms is a great idea, I never thought of that!

Ironically, just since I've posted my question things have suddenly improved greatly and my lo isn't coming off the breast nearly so often so I'm going to just try feeding him in a cafe and hope it's a calm one!

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, iv two quick questions...

At 7 months and on 3 meals a day, how often should baby still be breastfed during the day? Still on demand, just wondering if she's getting enough.

Anyone ever had any issues breastfeeding on a Ryanair flight?

Cheers!

As often as she wants I guess, at that age I still offered at every mealtime and whenever he wanted at any other time which was still very frequently, I'd say every two hours for him.

I fed on Ryanair flights, no issues, but I don't really know what issues you mean as nobody can say anything to you about it. My only issue was space, trying to feed a one year old but my mum was beside me so she didn't mind his legs on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No issues breastfeeding on Ryanair - I had an aisle seat though and the guy in the middle was a grandfather to many so no crap from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi everyone, iv two quick questions...

At 7 months and on 3 meals a day, how often should baby still be breastfed during the day? Still on demand, just wondering if she's getting enough.

Anyone ever had any issues breastfeeding on a Ryanair flight?

Cheers!
    Hi scarepanda. No advice regarding food as we finished up breastfeeding at 5 months but we took three flights with baby while I was breastfeeding. Two Ryanair and one aer lingus. If you mean issues with other people due to feeding I wouldn't worry yourself. It's a pretty common sight these days! Had no issues at all either has anyone I know.
    I've taken one flight since we switched to formula and jezz that was a stresser! Enjoy your trip.

Thanks a million ladies!

I was just wondering about how many times as iv noticed a change since she started solids, especially the third meal. We've another pediatric appointment in a couple of weeks so I'll check then. The PHN at her last weigh-in wasn't any more specific other than on demand, which is what were doing.

I don't really know what issues myself, but people can be funny especially in close confines like a plane. I suppose if the staff got a complaint from someone whether they would be Pro breastfeeding. I haven't flown since before i was pregnant, so iv never really considered travelling with a baby. We're in at the window and my oh is coming as well, so should be well tucked away.

You're allowed to feed wherever you like, complaint or no complaint, just ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Nobody would complain! I fly a lot

Ladies, we got sad news this morning that a family member has died in the UK. It's a funeral I will need to attend. But it's also not the most appropriate place to bring my lo. My issue is I'm still feeding her and I don't know if I can leave her for that long, even if I can get enough of a supply together and pump while I'm away, I'm afraid it will hamper my supply/she'll come to prefer bottle over boob etc.

So how much damage can being away for a few days do? What's the likelihood of her coming to prefer bottle over breast? There is a chance my oh can come over as well to at least look after her while I'm at the funeral, but we've no details yet so everything is up in the air. I'm sorry if this is something simple/non issue, I just haven't had time to process stuff yet. I've​ been with family here all morning and now only thinking of practicalities of being away from her.

How old is she?

• Advertisement

How old is she?

She's 8 months old, on solids and loves her food. Nurses a minimum of four times a day. She will take bottles, but can be a bit fussy with them, which is another concern

Advertisement