Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I know! I didn’t want to remove the gro bag either, but I swapped it for a lovely warm fleece onesie, and wrapped him in a cellular blanket. Fingers crossed we can pull it off again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So we are just over 12 weeks in and are still going :)
    Delighted with myself....dare I say it’s getting easier!!!!!!
    I think I am going to bite the bullet on Black Friday and buy an electric pump. I have a haakka type one but the baby has a habit of kicking it off!!! I only got 3oz there from it.

I don’t pump regularly just maybe once a week for when my mil comes over and I bring 3 year old out! The has only taken 1 bottle so far as Has refused them.

I hated pumping on my older boy and rented a pump.
    I don’t want to spend a fortune.
    Any recommendations? I see spectra ones on amazon for £50 that can be changed into doubles for £10. Anyone any experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Millem wrote: »
    I think I am going to bite the bullet on Black Friday and buy an electric pump. I have a haakka type one but the baby has a habit of kicking it off!!! I only got 3oz there from it.

I don’t pump regularly just maybe once a week for when my mil comes over and I bring 3 year old out! The has only taken 1 bottle so far as Has refused them.

Any recommendations? I see spectra ones on amazon for £50 that can be changed into doubles for £10. Anyone any experience with them?

Well done you!!! That’s the hard bit over - it’ll be plain sailing from here (and so much easier than formula feeding!.

I never really got much out of the haakaa. Unsure which spectra pumps you’re looking at, but I have the spectra s2 double electric and it’s great. I pump in work, but only have a 30 min break to do so all day, and I get much more from it than the avent electric and manual single pump.

Double pump is obviously better because you get more. I also like the fact that it’s battery operated so I don’t need to be beside a plug. It is also a closed system, so can be used on other babies or sold on when you’re done.

I paid £180 for mine on amazon. I think it was worth the spend.

Well done you!!! That’s the hard bit over - it’ll be plain sailing from here (and so much easier than formula feeding!.

I never really got much out of the haakaa. Unsure which spectra pumps you’re looking at, but I have the spectra s2 double electric and it’s great. I pump in work, but only have a 30 min break to do so all day, and I get much more from it than the avent electric and manual single pump.

Double pump is obviously better because you get more. I also like the fact that it’s battery operated so I don’t need to be beside a plug. It is also a closed system, so can be used on other babies or sold on when you’re done.

I paid £180 for mine on amazon. I think it was worth the spend.
    Well I was looking at spending as little as possible for an ok pump. I saw a spectra 3 for £50 plus £10 for making it into double.
    I think it’s a closed system.
    Should I spend more.

Saw a lactaline for say £70 plus parcel motel

Should say the lactalind is a double for £70 plus parcel motel

Or spectra dew 350 double £76 inc delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Second baby is six days old, and have discovered the joy of the Haaka! I don't need to pump yet and am actively avoiding it after having to do it for my first in scbu, but omg the Haaka is great! Put it on after one side started leaking during a feed last night and got loads, from someone who found even an electric pump difficult to get any volume with last time. Good thing I don't need to build a stash yet, the toddler made off with it and drank it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ok, so, I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding yet, but I have been thinking about it on and off the last while about when is a good time to stop and everything surrounding that decision.

For mothers who have done extended breastfeeding, how and when did you know it was time? Did you decide yourself? Did your little one decide to wean themselves? What age were they and how did you know they were weaning?

My lo is 15 months now and we have a good thing going, twice a day, morning and bedtime. She's not a boobie monster, as in she never looks for a feed during the day, but her face always lights up when I ask her if she wants some at the usual nursing times (as I'm getting ready to feed her). It's a pleasure feeding her now, no pressure and it's usually the only time she's quite beside me during the day. The night time feed is especially precious (and will be the last one to go) especially when we have moments like tonight where she popped off and puckered up looking for a kiss before going back to nursing with a big grin on her face. I'm not afraid to admit I'm still feeding her, although I'm reluctant to feed her in front of people I don't know. I sense that people are quietly wondering why I'm still nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

That sounds lovely scarepanda. I’m at eleven months and wondering if we will ever get to that stage. Twins are still big boobmonsters. Keep going as long as you are both happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ok, so, I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding yet, but I have been thinking about it on and off the last while about when is a good time to stop and everything surrounding that decision.

For mothers who have done extended breastfeeding, how and when did you know it was time? Did you decide yourself? Did your little one decide to wean themselves? What age were they and how did you know they were weaning?

My lo is 15 months now and we have a good thing going, twice a day, morning and bedtime. She's not a boobie monster, as in she never looks for a feed during the day, but her face always lights up when I ask her if she wants some at the usual nursing times (as I'm getting ready to feed her). It's a pleasure feeding her now, no pressure and it's usually the only time she's quite beside me during the day. The night time feed is especially precious (and will be the last one to go) especially when we have moments like tonight where she popped off and puckered up looking for a kiss before going back to nursing with a big grin on her face. I'm not afraid to admit I'm still feeding her, although I'm reluctant to feed her in front of people I don't know. I sense that people are quietly wondering why I'm still nursing.
    I'm still nursing my chicken is 2 year and 3months.She only feeds going to bed it's a comfort for both of us as I'm away long hours in work.If she's sick it's a god send during the night.There only babies for a short time so I'm cherishing every minute.Sounds like you and baby are happy so I'd go with it.Im letting herself self wean as I said we aren't in a hurry.Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Hi all
    I wonder if anyone has experienced this. My baby girl is 12 weeks old and from around 3 weeks old she has gotten one bottle of formula a day. The other feeds are breastfed.. in the last week or so she has started fussing a lot at the breast, crying and getting angry, when I know she is hungry.. she will then drink a bottle no problem (with either formula or breastmilk)
    Does anyone know why this might be? Has she realised the bottle is easier? I am a little upset as I’m not ready to give up:(

• Advertisement

Yes the bottle is easier, the milk flows out much faster. It might also have caused a drop in your supply? Meaning there isn't as much there as she wants, also making the bottle more appealing?

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I wonder if anyone has experienced this. My baby girl is 12 weeks old and from around 3 weeks old she has gotten one bottle of formula a day. The other feeds are breastfed.. in the last week or so she has started fussing a lot at the breast, crying and getting angry, when I know she is hungry.. she will then drink a bottle no problem (with either formula or breastmilk)
    Does anyone know why this might be? Has she realised the bottle is easier? I am a little upset as I’m not ready to give up:(

Robyn I am going through something similar except my baby has never had any formula and won’t take a bottle. I find he feeds perfectly when he is tired so yesterday I literally waited until I could see the signs then fed him.

Today wasn’t great as had Monte pick up and drop offs and a play date. I know I Defo have flow issues :( he comes coming off every minute and literally needs to be winded every 4 minutes :(
    My baby is 3 months old. He had a good feed at say 7pm and I am going to dream feed him (or whatever it’s called) at say 10pm.

I am hoping thus fussiness will pass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Yes the bottle is easier, the milk flows out much faster. It might also have caused a drop in your supply? Meaning there isn't as much there as she wants, also making the bottle more appealing?
    I was able to express 5ozs from the breast she refused this evening, so I don’t think it’s supply but I could be wrong.. I’ll persevere and see how it goes.

Looking at ordering a Heidi Klum nursing bra.....does anyone know would they be similar fit to hot milk (size wise) thanks a million :)

Nearly afraid to type this in case I jinx it.....I think my 14 week old is sleeping through the night :) the last two nights he slept 8pm-6am :):):)
    Now if only I could get the 3 year old (almost 4 year old) to sleep through ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

scarepanda wrote: »

I'm still feeding my son, he turned four in September. I had decided to wean when he turned two but TBH I kind of couldn't be bothered so we just kept going. We're down to a feed every morning and a quick feed if he's really upset or sick and we're going to go for as long as it works.
    I've had some negative comments, including a really offensive one that I challenged big time because it showed a complete lack of understanding of breastfeeding, but other than that I'm pretty open when asked if we're 'still' feeding. I would never have seen myself as doing this before I had my children (my first self weaned at about 14 months because I was pregnant) but now it works for us and we're all happy and it's nice to normalise it a bit for people who are curious.
    I would say you'll know when you're ready to stop, but if you don't want to then don't. Looking back, I think I'd have regretted weaning when he clearly wasn't ready and I was thinking about more what I 'should' do, now I do what works for us and I don't give anyone else any notice.

Nearly afraid to type this in case I jinx it.....I think my 14 week old is sleeping through the night :) the last two nights he slept 8pm-6am :):):)
    Now if only I could get the 3 year old (almost 4 year old) to sleep through ;)

I jinxed it.....we are back feeding during the night :(

It's so normal at still such a young age for them to feed multiple times during the night Millem, try not to get too disheartened.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Looking for others experiences on baby's weight gain,just had a 6 week check and in 4 weeks baby has only put on 2 ounces,I was shocked he feeds great is never fussy or cranky and sleeps well.

I'm worried sick now that I'm not producing enough milk,the midwife said if he hasn't gained by next week I may have to top him up with formula which I'd rather not but if it comes to it I will do it.
    Anyone been through something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

BF babies gain weight more slowly in general.

Nurses are OBSESSED with weight gain. Absolutely obsessed, and the top up is a regular suggestion. You are under no obligation to offer formula at this stage if you don't want to, and it can interrupt supply. I suggest if you want to see her again, tell her it's to discuss BF solutions only.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Stray_Cat wrote: »
    Looking for others experiences on baby's weight gain,just had a 6 week check and in 4 weeks baby has only put on 2 ounces,I was shocked he feeds great is never fussy or cranky and sleeps well.

I'm worried sick now that I'm not producing enough milk,the midwife said if he hasn't gained by next week I may have to top him up with formula which I'd rather not but if it comes to it I will do it.
    Anyone been through something similar?

If you want to continue breastfeeding I would advise you to get a private lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Of course don't just ignore your PHN but don't rely on her advice alone. The fact that her only suggestion is to offer top ups doesn't suggest that she's going to be any help in finding an actual solution.

It's scary how many Irish women are told, or made to feel, that they don't have enough milk. It's extremely rare for that to be the case. There could be any number of things affecting weight gain and formula would be a quick fix rather than finding out the cause.

Try not to worry. If your baby has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is otherwise happy and alert, there may be no problem at all. If there is a problem, there is almost always a breastfeeding friendly solution and an IBCLC is the best person to help you.

It's expensive but really not too much when you consider how invaluable they are. I think anything between 70-100 euro would be normal and would include a home visit, full assessment, action plan and follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m not breastfeeding yet (hopefully next week if bump arrives on time!) but drop into this thread for future tips and advice. I also follow La Leche and Cuidiu on Facebook for future advice. Do you have either of these in your area? They can offer support on breastfeeding and have lactation/breastfeeding consultants you can call for advice.

bee06 wrote: »
    I’m not breastfeeding yet (hopefully next week if bump arrives on time!) but drop into this thread for future tips and advice. I also follow La Leche and Cuidiu on Facebook for future advice. Do you have either of these in your area? They can offer support on breastfeeding and have lactation/breastfeeding consultants you can call for advice.

That's a great suggestion. I still go to my groups 9 months later. They were so important at the start and I couldn't have managed without them.

If you need to wait for an IBCLC appointment, a Cuidiú counsellor would be great in the meantime. They work on a voluntary basis so it's free but you can donate. They will be able to recommend a good IBCLC in your area as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Iv been there, although I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what her gain numbers were, I'd have to look up my notes for that. But my PHN had me driven demented over her weight, I had a path worn in and out of the clinic getting her weighed and no practical advice given. It was hinted, but I don't think ever actually said about supplementing, but she also knew that it wasn't something I wanted at that stage - I honestly felt myself that there was nothing wrong.

So, I would ask you these questions: do you think your producing enough? What's your gut feeling? Is he eating regularly? Does he have regular wet nappies? (Don't pay much heed to dirty nappies as it's perfectly normal for bf babies to go up to 10 days without a bowel movement). Is he happy and content after feeds? Is he generally content and active? Is he meeting all other milestones? Has he lost weight since he regained his birth weight or has he constantly gained? Was he a big baby? Are you/partner/general family small?

I ended up going into my GP when my lo was about 5 months old because the PHN had me so worried and I was fed up of going in and out to her without any proactive action being taken. The GP said that she didn't see anything wrong with my LO but referred her to the pediatrician in the hospital she was born in just to be sure. Both my GP and the pediatricians said that bf babies are generally leaner than formula fed babies, don't follow the graphs that it's very common for them to do Thier own thing, and that they generally catch up with formula fed babies around age 2. My LO is 16 months old and to date everything the GP & pediatrician told us rings true. She is small for her age, only recently started to wear 9-12 month clothes, but she is a happy content toddler who's full of gab running around the place.

I personally never felt that there was any issue. She constantly gained weight once she put back on her birth weight, but never consistently stayed on any centile line. She was a big baby, very big for me and dropped down through the centiles because she wasn't gaining as much weight quickly enough to keep up with them. But she fed regularly, good nappies, happy and content between feeds, met all her milestones.The PHN got me to start her on solids earlier than I had planned to help her weight gain, but it made no difference. Other than being small there was no issue with her. In fact we have been spoilt with her so far.

If you want to keep bfing and don't want to supplement yet or are not happy with your PHN I would make an appointment with your GP to get baby assessed (you probably have your 6 week check up with GP coming up). Are they pro breastfeeding? If you think you have a supply issue then make an appointment with a lactation consultant and get their opinion.

Sorry that's all a bit long winded, but above is my experience and opinion of dealing with a healthy baby who doesn't follow the weight charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Thanks everyone for all the replies I'm a bit more at ease now.
    He has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and feeds regularly so much so it's hard to get anything else done.
    He never dropped weight after he regained his birth weight but it did take twoweeks to get back to it and had constantly gained after that,he was an average baby I think 7pound 11ounces then dropped to 7 6 but maybe big for me i'm on the small side at 5 foot but my partner is tall and the baby is quite long .

I definitely feel I have enough milk he is always satisfied after feeding,I could be wrong though ,my eating habits have been bad of late so I'm going to up my calories and water hopefully that will boost my milk if it has gone low.
    I'm wondering have I gone to lax with what boob he is starting and finishing on maybe he isn't getting the hind milk as he has a habit of falling asleep and I don't always wake him .
    Today I made sure he drained one completely I had to wake him up 5 times to do it .
    If he is weighed next week and hasn't improved I'll definitely consider a lactation consultant.

Do you know whether your PHN is plotting his growth on the standard centile charts, or if she’s using the charts specific to breastfed babies?

(https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/A4 Boys 0-4YRS (4th Jan 2013).pdf)

Sadly, given how uncommon it is in Ireland for women to still be breastfeeding at just six weeks, many PHNs just do not have enough experience in what to expect in a bf baby vs a ff baby, and very very few of them know how to work on BF problems.

I echo the advice of others about seeing an IBCLC. It may be around €100, but sure that’s a lot cheaper than many many months of formula anyway!

Oh gosh night feeds are killing me. For the last 2 weeks I have been feeding probably every 2 hours during the night. Pure and utter torture. Little Guy has a cough and cold so can’t really have big long feeds and could puke when he coughs. Just finished 3rd feed since 11pm. Wrecked is not the word at this stage. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

My baby who is 14 weeks has started only having dirty nappies every 2 or 3 days - I read online that this is normal for breastfed babies but would be happy to hear if people here are similar.

Becks610 wrote: »
    My baby who is 14 weeks has started only having dirty nappies every 2 or 3 days - I read online that this is normal for breastfed babies but would be happy to hear if people here are similar.

Very normal. Enjoy it while it lasts - before you know it, baby will be on solids and doing several smelly nappies a day!

Becks610 wrote: »

Yes, it's absolutely normal. Mine started going longer between dirty nappies at about that age as well. I think she went a whole week at one stage. She didn't seem to be as bothered about it as I was, even though I had also read it was normal. It's easy to worry about every little thing when you're a parent! I was getting ready to ring the GP if it got to 10 days but then she had a big clear out!

It will settle again as your baby's system matures. As long as your baby is still feeding well, having wet nappies and acting alert and content for a period of time between naps / feeds, you don't need to worry about the dirty nappies at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Becks610 wrote:

Both mine would go longer than 2-3 days at certain stages. It's very normal for exclusively bf babies under 6 months. Breast milk is so good there is very little waste.

Advertisement