Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you using the kinda yellow type teats on the NUK bottle? They're latex and are supposed to feel a bit more like skin, so she might be more inclined to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Has anyone tips for getting 7 week old to take a bottle? I've started expressing with the hope my husband can do the evening feed and I can spend some time with our toddler.

We're using nuk bottle and following pace feeding but so far this week it has just upset her when he tries to get teat in her mouth.

We managed it before with our son but I can't recall what worked or how long it took!

Also I'm using the hakaa pump as it was recommended on this thread and it's great for expressing :)

I started at 4 weeks giving a pumped bottle but definitely worth trying a few different bottles. Medela ones worked for us while she didn't like the Avent ones at all. She also doesn't really take it from me but will take it from others.

Just keep persevering with it. It'll happen eventually....!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Any advice for slow weight gain in a newborn? My daughter is almost 2 weeks old and apart from some formula top-ups in the first few days due to low blood sugars, exclusively breast fed. She initially lost 6% of her body weight and has yet to regain most of it. I'm feeding her at a minimum every 3 hours but often more frequently than that. She'll spend 20 minutes on each side and often repeat the cycle twice or three times. I never deny her a feed when she's looking for it. I also give her a top-up of what I've collected from the Haakaa during the day which is usually just a couple of Oz. She's alert, with good skin tone and plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Any ideas where I'm going wrong or what I can do to boost her weight gain? The public health nurse will be around tomorrow and I just know if she hasn't gained enough weight they'll be suggesting formula. I'm reluctant to do that as I fell into that trap with my son and my supply never recovered. TIA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It sounds like you are doing everything right if she is having plenty of wet nappies. Some babies just take some time to regain their birth weight. Have you contacted a IBCLC (lactation consultant). She could help with back up if your PHN is pressuring you to top up with formula. The Cuidiu breastfeeding support would be another option. You can ring them for advice and can contact anyone of the list. They don’t have to be in your area.

Kellymom is also a great online resource.

https://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/supports_breastfeeding_counsellors

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

Any advice for slow weight gain in a newborn? My daughter is almost 2 weeks old and apart from some formula top-ups in the first few days due to low blood sugars, exclusively breast fed. She initially lost 6% of her body weight and has yet to regain most of it. I'm feeding her at a minimum every 3 hours but often more frequently than that. She'll spend 20 minutes on each side and often repeat the cycle twice or three times. I never deny her a feed when she's looking for it. I also give her a top-up of what I've collected from the Haakaa during the day which is usually just a couple of Oz. She's alert, with good skin tone and plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Any ideas where I'm going wrong or what I can do to boost her weight gain? The public health nurse will be around tomorrow and I just know if she hasn't gained enough weight they'll be suggesting formula. I'm reluctant to do that as I fell into that trap with my son and my supply never recovered. TIA!

They allow 3 weeks for a baby to regain birth weight when breastfeeding. Sounds like you're doing great. Don't give into the pressure of giving formula if you don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I fell into a similar trap on my first. I am breastfeeding my second now over 9 months! Get a Lactation consultant out to the house or if you go to a cuidiu meeting they have some there.....well the one I went to did!!
    If you have health insurance you might be able to claim some back!
    Anyway as others said it can take a good 3 weeks for breastfed babies to regain the weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

As the others have said, it sounds like you're doing great.

Far too much emphasis is put on weight. There are much more important things to look at. If she's actively sucking and swallowing during feeds, has plenty of wet nappies and seems generally content between feeds then there is more than likely nothing to worry about. Try not to focus on the weight.

6% is not that much weight loss. Also, the length of time it takes to regain the weight is not important, as long as there is a gradual gain of some sort over time. Some babies take several weeks to get back to their starting percentile. As long as you have no other concerns about her health, that's fine.

Don't worry about the PHN or anything she says. You are your baby's mother and you know what's best for your baby. Be confident, trust your own instincts and don't let anybody pressure you to do anything you don't want to do. There is more than likely no problem but if you are genuinely concerned yourself or if the PHN puts you under pressure, try to get a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. There is a breastfeeding friendly solution to every breastfeeding problem and an IBCLC is the only person that can be fully trusted to diagnose a problem and find the right solution.

I would really recommend getting to a breastfeeding group. They are fantastic for advice and for meeting other mums. As bee suggested, Cuidiú leaders are excellent. If you can't get to a meet up, most of them are available to give advice over the phone.

Be proud of what you're doing! If you are determined enough and get the right advice you can overcome any issues without resorting to formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I have to agree with everything said above. I have a now toddler that was a baby that gained weight consistently, but slower (or not at the rate to keep with the centile that she was at when born) and ended up dropping down a number of centiles and at the last weigh-in was hovering around the 3rd.

In my experience, PHNs don't always know a lot about the practicalities of breastfeeding and related 'issues' and as a result their solution is to go straight to formula Or when old enough to start solids at 16/17/18 weeks. They mostly deal with formulas fed babies because the breastfeeding rate is so low in Ireland and also they can 'control' how much baby is getting/taking where as they can't quantify what a breastfed baby is getting.

I ended up going to my GP who sent a 'just to be safe' referral to the hospital pediatrician when my little girl was 5/6 months old. Both my GP and the pediatrician gave us the same answer, that she was perfect. that she was a breastfed baby, they generally do their own thing and don't always gain weight as one would expect, but that that doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong with baby, especially if they are happy, alert, content after feeds (feeding often doesn't mean anythingbis wrong btw, especially at 2 weeks they should basically be attached to you so don't worry about that) and wet nappies (don't go by dirty nappies as it's perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to go up to 10 days without a bowl movement). It's so important to look at the baby in front of you and not just what the lines and boxes on a piece of paper say (which was my PHNs biggest problem).

My advice is that if your PHN is putting undue pressure on you to 'top-up' with formula, but you are happy with how baby is feeding and is settled afterwards then go to your GP for a second opinion (hopefully they are Pro breastfeed in reality and not just on paper) and see what they say. Seek out a highly recommended lactation consultant through a support group or through a personal recommendation. A good one will be worth every cent.

For what it's worth my little girl is coming up on 2 now and we're still nursing at bedtime. What she lacks in stature she sure makes up for in attitude. We have a few friends with babies around the same age as her and she is certainly physically stronger and more capable than most of them even though she's the smallest by a long shot, so please try not to worry. And please please, from a mother who was there, don't blame yourself. From your post it sounds like your are doing everything right. Just keep feeding whenever she wants to nurse. You can't force feed a breastfed baby so don't worry about not giving her enough if your feeding on demand. It's so so hard to not take it personally as at the end of the day you and your body are solely responsible for feeding and nurishing your little girl and I don't think anyone who hasn't been there themselves can fully appreciate how breastfeeding is not just a physical task but also a mental and emotional rollercoaster as well. And a lot of people can be very insensitive to a new mother trying to do her best for her new baby (I had a second PHN tell me at 8 days old after a serious struggle in hospital, where I came to within minutes of jacking it in, that my baby wasn't on the breast because I was (and still am) using a nipple shield).

I hope everything works out for you. Enjoy all the lovely baby snuggles, even through the hard moments.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sounds like you're doing great, don't worry too much about the weight - alert baby and plenty of wet and dirty nappies are what you'd be looking for.

My daughter gained her birth weight back really fast, like within a week (breastfed) but was slow to gain after that. She was 98th centile in height and weight at birth but at her 3 month check she was at the 50th gentle for height, weight and head circumference. PHN said she wasn't worried because she's in proportion and also she's alert, lots of nappies, meeting milestones etc. However, because baba had dropped 2 centile sections, she had to refer me to the doctor. The doctor said she was happy with baba before I'd even lifted her out of her car seat, and told me not to worry, breastfed babies gain weight slower, and in her opinion too much emphasis is put on weight gain.

I got myself really worked up about the PHN thinking she'd be trying to make me do formula, but she was actually really supportive and encouraging about the breastfeeding. I think it can depend on who you get, because my SIL had a really small baby and was put under serious pressure to give formula to bulk her up.

The kellymom website is brilliant, and a lactation consultant can be a great help too. I got one when my baby was 1 week old - she came out to the house and was really good. I wasn't having problems, but wanted the reassurance that everything was ok and some tips etc. It was worth every penny, and it turned out that I was able to claim about 75% back on my health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Anyone else finding their little one getting heat rash in this weather? My girl had it over the weekend as it's been so warm at night, even though we keep her as cool as we can when she's sleeping it's hard to avoid heating her up when I have to feed her during the night :(

I've had some success with bottle feeding her, on our third type of bottle (Avent) she's taken a few ounces the last two days...fingers crossed it continues and her Dad may get to do a feed at some point! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My 4 month old is getting a bit on his face if he's in the sling and I'm wearing a relatively low cut top. It was particularly bad the day we sail and railed it to Dublin and he was hours in the sling.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Anyone else finding their little one getting heat rash in this weather? My girl had it over the weekend as it's been so warm at night, even though we keep her as cool as we can when she's sleeping it's hard to avoid heating her up when I have to feed her during the night :(

I've had some success with bottle feeding her, on our third type of bottle (Avent) she's taken a few ounces the last two days...fingers crossed it continues and her Dad may get to do a feed at some point! :)

My LO got it while we were abroad but only for a day! We started dressing her in less clothes and put emulsify cream on her and it cleared!

What age is your LO? We have had a day or two success with the bottle here but only an ounce here and there!

She's 8 weeks, I started expressing and freezing milk last week in the hope we can give her a bottle in the evening and I can have some downtime with our son. I was worried she wouldn't take to a bottle as she can be fussy so the fact she's managed a few ounces gives me hope!

I haven't had her in the sling in the last two weeks as I'd worry she'd roast in this heat, it's a pity as it's so handy. But at least the lovely weather has meant I've been able to stay on top of all the extra laundry and everything dries in a few hours :)

Hi all, great to find this thread. My baby is 7 weeks and is my first spring/summer baby. All my other children are winter babies which was a lot easier in terms of dressing them. Loving the long nights but it's so worrying about the heat and dressing baby. Not sure what to be putting her in. Do you put vests on under their clothes? Is a summer hat warm enough on their little heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

She's 8 weeks, I started expressing and freezing milk last week in the hope we can give her a bottle in the evening and I can have some downtime with our son. I was worried she wouldn't take to a bottle as she can be fussy so the fact she's managed a few ounces gives me hope!

My advice would be to keep at it! We have a 22 week old baby who won’t take a bottle so once she has started keep going! Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Been reading this thread for a while but posting for first time!
    My baby literally turned one month minutes ago. I've been exclusively breastfeeding and it's going fine (bit sore at the beginning, but got through that). He was weighed yesterday morning and doing great, but hasn't had a dirty nappy since then. Never something I thought I'd miss! The nurse mentioned babies going days without and when I've googled it says it's normal, especially from 2 months on, so I'm not really worried, I guess I'd just got used to regular dirty ones!

Megan is now nearly 12 weeks old and the breastfeeding is going better than ever, but its nice to have the freedom to give her to daddy or nanny for the odd feed.

I wouldn't worry about it, my first used to go 4-5 days without a dirty nappy. I was concerned but PHN said it's just how he's absorbing the milk. Each baby is different as my second could have multiple dirty nappies in a day.

So long as baby is having plenty of wet nappies and doesn't appear to be in discomfort.

For weeks my little lady was like clock work where she'd only have dirty nappies on Tuesday and Fridays. It was brilliant! But then started solids ;-)

Haha my son was the same, usually one midweek and then one at the weekend, once I knew it wasn't anything to worry about I was only too happy at the lack of dirty nappies. Second time around my daughter is making up for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Both of mine are little poop factories! Both were and are 2-3 dirty nappies a day kind of guys. #2 is dinky though compared to big bro - same weight at 18 weeks as big bro was at 9. 50th percentile for length when big bro was 98th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hi all, I am scratching my head over something here and want some opinions, as it's frustrating me and the baby!

I am breastfeeding my third, who is five weeks old this week.He gets a bottle of formula between 7 and 8pm each night (practicalities of having three small kids)He has been feeding very well every 2-2.5 hours and is putting on plenty of weight so far.My supply seems ok, the only thing being that it comes out very fast and seems to give him bad wind.

Anyway, this is my issue.The last few days he has woken between 7-8am, feeds then we have breakfast etc.He wants to sleep by about 9 or so, but he fusses a lot from then....catnaps on and off.He is very unsettled in between and I try to feed him.But he pulls on and off the breast and won't settle to the feeds.So he ends up having three or four bits of feeds, and gets and more and more unsettled.I have ended up giving him a bottle by midday the last few days because he needs sleep but is not settling at all.Like this morning he had three feeds between 8:30 and 11, and didn't settle into any of them.He then drank 3oz of formula (hungrily) at about 11:15 and calmed down hugely...he has been asleep since 11:45 or so.This has happened a few days since mid last week.

I can't figure it out, he was obviously hungry but wouldn't really feed.I have no problem with letting him suck to build up my supply but he's not sucking.He tries, but he pulls on and off the breast, kind of bobbing his head around the nipple a lot.He'll latch and suck for a few minutes then pull off and start bobbing again, getting frustrated.I am getting sore, because it's a bit of a wrestling match and he's pulling and pushing on the breast a lot while he does it,with his hands.I had put it down to wind initially, because he does this if he has a burp or something that he's trying to get up, but really, after this morning I don't know what it is.

Has anyone any insight to offer?He's a big baby and I am fairly sure he is at a point where he is havign a bit of a spurt and may need more milk but not sure what to do when he's at this.It's like his evening cluster feed only he tends to settle and suck more during that.

Hey Shesty,
    This sounds like my little one too. Sometimes it's wind but othertimes the milk just comes out at full flow and it catches her breath so she can't latch on properly. She does be like a woodpecker at times thrashing against my boob lol. Maybe hand express some off or let the flow of milk stop before you latch him on. That works for mine.

the first thing that came to me is that your letdown could be too forceful for him at the moment? have you tried to hand express just before you latch him on to ease your let down? if i remember correctly at certain times of the day my letdown used to be stronger than at other times. the only other thing i can think of is that he might be having a bit of nipple confusion. when your giving him the bottle is the teat used the smallest you can get? you may have to try a different bottle that has a smaller opening in the teat if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

There is a growth spurt between 4 and 6 weeks and my little boy used to get so fussy during growth spurts (and cluster fed in the morning).

scarepanda wrote: »
    the first thing that came to me is that your letdown could be too forceful for him at the moment? have you tried to hand express just before you latch him on to ease your let down? if i remember correctly at certain times of the day my letdown used to be stronger than at other times. the only other thing i can think of is that he might be having a bit of nipple confusion. when your giving him the bottle is the teat used the smallest you can get? you may have to try a different bottle that has a smaller opening in the teat if that is the case.

Oh yes that's what it's called, letdown. Thanks. Couldnt think of the term

Sounds similar to my girl too, she was like this so many mornings before I realised it was my let down as my breasts would be quite full in the morning so would fuss and seem to refuse the breast. I now express some milk to relieve the fullness and I also let her just have short feeds switching back and forth between breasts. She's 9 weeks now and it seems to have settled down in recent weeks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

He's exactly like a woodpecker!
    Nipple confusion did occur to me, but I am leaning more on the side of it being wind and a forceful letdown.I know my letdown is strong, it spurts out.When he pulls on and off at the start of a feed it literally jets out onto him and me.The thing is I don't feel overfull at this time of day - if anything I was worried about not having enough milk then and how can he then build up the supply if he wants to feed but isn't really sucking? He did pull off at one point this morning though and I realised the milk was literally flowing out in a stream.Not drops but a little jet, so there must have been a good bit in there.His knees go up and down a lot, as he does this and he arches his back and cries a bit, which is another thing that makes me think wind.I just wonder too if I didn't give the bottle would he settle at all.I don't want to BF for a months, but I would like to get a good 10-12 weeks, but if we get into a habit of a bottle in the morning too already, that won't work out I feel.He actually feeds fine when I am overfull, gets a look of delight on his face!

The laid back breastfeeding position is good for fast let down as the baby has more control over the flow. You can see videos of it on youtube or someone at a breastfeeding group can probably show you if you can get to one.

I know you say it's not nipple confusion but chances are, your baby is learning to prefer the bottle, which is a risk when you introduce it so early. My normal advice would be to persevere and not offer the bottle as, like you say, you want your baby to build up your supply. If you'd really prefer to keep giving the evening bottle and are happy to combine feed instead of exclusive breastfeeding, you could try the paced bottle feeding technique. Again, youtube videos will show you. I'd try to stick to just that feed, though. The more bottles you introduce at this early stage, the more you will compromise your supply. Maybe some mothers who combine feed can advise you better. I know there is a combined feeding facebook group.

Yes that was my feeling too.I would prefer to stick to just one in a day for now.I kind of just reached the end of my tether this morning and was worried he was hungry.He feeds no problem for the rest of day and night, seems satisfied and will sleep afterwards ok
    His night sleep seems to have stretched a bit lately and I was also wondering would he cluster feed in the morning to make up for the longer stretches at night?I do want to combine feed as past experience has taught me it seems to be the best way for things to work for me.

• Advertisement

It's important to do what works for you and it's great that you know what that is.

If you stick to the evening bottle at around the same time every day and just feed on demand the rest of the time then your body will adjust your supply to suit that. I'd definitely recommend looking up the paced bottle feeding if you haven't already seen it. I know some babies have no problems taking both a bottle and breast but some will refuse the breast after a while and the paced technique will really help to prevent that.

Cluster feeding can happen at any time. I know evenings are the most common but every baby is different. They can also fuss for lots of different reasons like developmental leaps and growth spurts. Try not to worry about him being hungry and remember that you have enough milk for his needs. The growth spurts are hard work and it's easy to start doubting your supply but it's normal for babies to behave like they're totally starving to force your body to make more for the next day.

I know the fussing is hard but it should settle in time. Remember you're doing great.

Advertisement