Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

fits wrote: »
    Ah you’re obviously a great mum Catrionanic. The relationship with grandparents is just different. My boys love their granny’s and grandad too.

I have developed chapped areolas. I think it might be thrush. Feeding on that side is excruciating. Any idea what I can do? My lad on that side is on daktarin gel but I think I need something too.

Fits, the link to the breastfeeding network factsheet on thrush is below. It has loads of info on treatment etc. You’ll defintely need treatment as well because you’ll just pass it back into your little boy again when you feed him.

https://breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/thrush%20detailed%20information%20and%20breastfeeding.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Head for the GP fits....they will probably give you a fairly big dose of penicillin.
    Total nuisance, have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Girls disaster!
    I can’t find valve thing for my spectra pump :(
    defo have a blocked duct. Does anyone know if another brand fits it? Or if I fly out tomorrow and buy a haaka would it do the job?
    Going to get baby to feed now. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Fits I think you need a diflucin tablet, I can’t remember what that PHN said was recommended for baby, but I’m pretty sure that’s what’s recommended for Mam!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

Girls do you find that your babies are feeding more or sleeping more in this heat. My little one is sleeping more and slept through the night last night. Should I be waking her to feed her in this heat to keep her hydrated.

• Advertisement

Am I right that your baby is around 10 weeks Flo? My baby started sleeping better around then and that would have been March so no hot weather :) It didn’t last very long though.

The hot weather hasn’t affected my 6 month olds sleep. He has been feeding a bit more during the day and I’m offering more often as well because he can get distracted.

Keep an eye on the nappies and if she’s having plenty of wet nappies during the day I’d make the most of the sleep. Our bodies will make thirst quenching milk during hot weather as well to compensate.

bee06 wrote: »
    Am I right that your baby is around 10 weeks Flo? My baby started sleeping better around then and that would have been March so no hot weather :) It didn’t last very long though.

The hot weather hasn’t affected my 6 month olds sleep. He has been feeding a bit more during the day and I’m offering more often as well because he can get distracted.

Keep an eye on the nappies and if she’s having plenty of wet nappies during the day I’d make the most of the sleep. Our bodies will make thirst quenching milk during hot weather as well to compensate.

Yeah she's 10 wks. I've never had a sleeper so it's very unnerving lol. And all my others are winter babies so it's very different having summer babes in terms of keeping her cool and hydrated. My other 4 never slept either. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies but they been very watery. Like her dirty ones all pool on the nappy if ya get me. Using supervalu ones as they had no pamper in her size and was caught out so had to buy them.

Thanks for the reassurance. What Sun cream do you use. Is there one recommended for baby's sensitive skin.

Hope you're all enjoying the weather. Thank God for maternity leave, hate to be working in it.

My little fellas poos have always been runny like that as well. Even worse since he started teething.

I haven’t used any suncream on him yet because I read that it wasn’t recommended to use suncream under 6 months. I have the Aldi factor 50 which I must do a patch test on him alright as he’ll be 6 months tomorrow. It’s got 5 star uva/uvb rating whereas some of the brand name ones are only 4 or 3 stars.

My little fellas poos have always been runny like that as well. Even worse since he started teething.

I haven’t used any suncream on him yet because I read that it wasn’t recommended to use suncream under 6 months. I have the Aldi factor 50 which I must do a patch test on him alright as he’ll be 6 months tomorrow. It’s got 5 star uva/uvb rating whereas some of the brand name ones are only 4 or 3 stars.

Oh I didn't know that damn. I put a little bit on her face yesterday, the same aldi one. I would rather keep her completely covered but sometimes her face gets exposed when the cover falls down. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

My lo sleep has been completely messed up last few days! Finding it hard to put her to bed at night was after 12 last night! But then woke at 7, back to sleep at 8 and is still asleep and nearly 11am!!! I think she’s moved her nights sleep from 9-7 to 12 till late morning! She’s like a teenager!!!

Feeding wise I’m finding it hard to make her drink more during the day! So I offered her cooked boiled water from the fridge! So it was cold well she only guzzled loads yesterday (I know breast fed babies don’t need water but it’s so warm I thought a few sips from a cold drink would be nice) trying to get her used to sippy cups as she won’t take a bottle... anyway she then had a green poo last night? I’m assumig that’s from the water! Honestly so hard to keep up with what to do in this heat!!!

• Advertisement

flo09 wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that damn. I put a little bit on her face yesterday, the same aldi one. I would rather keep her completely covered but sometimes her face gets exposed when the cover falls down. Thanks for that.

Definitely better than being burned so I’d say you were right. A small bit won’t hurt I’m sure.

Pocos, I know what you mean, between trying to keep the house cool, making sure he’s drinking enough, wondering what to put on him at night etc I’m demented. And he’s napping is non existent at the moment so I have a cranky baby to entertain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I've noticed in the last two weeks or so my daughter has been having more green poos, perhaps half of her dirty nappies are like this (the others are more mustard). She seems to be happy otherwise, her night time feeding has improved although she can be unsettled if she hasn't had a dirty nappy during the night. Anyone else encounter this?

Definitely better than being burned so I’d say you were right. A small bit won’t hurt I’m sure.

Pocos, I know what you mean, between trying to keep the house cool, making sure he’s drinking enough, wondering what to put on him at night etc I’m demented. And he’s napping is non existent at the moment so I have a cranky baby to entertain too.

Honestly wouldn’t your head be demented trying to keep up!!! So so hard to what clothes to put on them!

My lo won’t go down at night but naps are great! Heat has knocked her for 6!

Actually been meaning to ask.. if your baby won’t take a bottle (mine won’t!) I’m planning on heading straight onto a sippy cup!! How long do you need to continue breast feeding? Until then can get enough out of sippy cup? Has any here skipped bottle and went straight to sippy cup??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Pocos wrote: »
    Actually been meaning to ask.. if your baby won’t take a bottle (mine won’t!) I’m planning on heading straight onto a sippy cup!! How long do you need to continue breast feeding? Until then can get enough out of sippy cup? Has any here skipped bottle and went straight to sippy cup??

Not sure what you mean? My second never took a bottle. He got water from six months on in a sippy cup, I continued breastfeeding several times a day until I returned to work when he was 11 months. He finally self weaned with a little nudge from me when he was 4.5 years.

ETA he didn't and still doesn't like any form of milk (cow/nut) so we didn't offer that at all, just water and breastfeeding.

Lazygal I presumed just giving water at 6 months would not be sufficient if mybaby was slow to wean onto solids? On my first I switched to formula at 7 months as he ate absolutely nothing for me and I couldn't express enough to sustain him during the day. On my second I'm not sure if she'll take to a bottle and like Pocos we may have to try sippy cup

Food before one is just for fun! Breastmilk is the main nutrition before 12 months. Solids are only an additional extra.

lazygal wrote: »
    Food before one is just for fun! Breastmilk is the main nutrition before 12 months. Solids are only an additional extra.

If I remember correctly Pocos wants to stop breastfeeding around 6 months so she means sippy cup and formula.

"Food before 1 is just for fun" I loathe that phrase, my last month of maternity leave was miserable as I felt like every day I was torturing my son with him gagging and spluttering, or just tossjng every scrap of food on the floor. I dread weaning my daughter...but that's a discussion for another thread!

I may contact a lactation consultant for advice in relation of bottle issue and her nappies, are they expensive?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

About 150eur.I paid 130eur to one yesterday and we got a tongue tie taken care of today....hopefully it will make an difference.Honestly I found her really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Holly you can claim back some of LC on health insurance if you have it! If you go to a Cuidiu coffee morning they have breastfeeding counsellors there who I think are LCs?

Holly it’s so hard when they don’t take a bottle :(
    I am worried about going back to work myself in September.
    We are using a doidy cup with success :) at every meal. Use it for milk and water!

If I remember correctly Pocos wants to stop breastfeeding around 6 months so she means sippy cup and formula.

Yes thanks Bee that’s what I meant sorry! Pretty much is it possible to sustain baby on formula from sippy cup and solids? From about 7 months onward! I have to return to work around then! Has anyone tried it or heard of someone doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

"Food before 1 is just for fun" I loathe that phrase, my last month of maternity leave was miserable as I felt like every day I was torturing my son with him gagging and spluttering, or just tossjng every scrap of food on the floor. I dread weaning my daughter...but that's a discussion for another thread!

I may contact a lactation consultant for advice in relation of bottle issue and her nappies, are they expensive?

I dreaded weaning my second too as my first was a disaster. My second eats everything in sight. There is literally nothing that child has turned away !! Haha. Also hate that phrase about food before 1

A LC gave me free advice over email for the green poo issue. I did a prep class with her (also free as she was offering it for World Breastfeeding week while I was pregnant) so she did ‘know’ me

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Yes thanks Bee that’s what I meant sorry! Pretty much is it possible to sustain baby on formula from sippy cup and solids? From about 7 months onward! I have to return to work around then! Has anyone tried it or heard of someone doing it?

I can’t see her taking enough from a sippy cup as I think she would need 15-20oz a day? I’ve heard of so many babies taking bottles from 6/7 months even if they didn’t take them before when mammy was gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

For those of you asking about water in the hot weather, here is some information from Kellymom, which is an amazing website for all breastfeeding related questions.
    Exclusively breastfed babies do not require additional water even when it is very hot outside, as long as baby is allowed to nurse as needed. Even in extremely hot, dry weather your baby can get all the liquids needed via breastmilk. A number of research studies investigating the need for water in exclusively breastfed babies were done in various locations (both humid and dry) at temperatures ranging from 22-41°C (71.6-105.8°F) and 9-96% relative humidity [see references below]; these studies concluded that exclusive breastfeeding provides all the fluids needed.

It's important to allow feeding on demand and you can offer extra breastfeeds as well. Babies are actually able to adjust their feeding so they get more watery or more fatty breastmilk depending on what they need at the time. Nature is amazing.

I can’t see her taking enough from a sippy cup as I think she would need 15-20oz a day? I’ve heard of so many babies taking bottles from 6/7 months even if they didn’t take them before when mammy was gone though.

Thanks Anne, yeah I was thinking I probably won’t get away with enough! Plan maybe to feed to one year and then allow sippy cup! I don’t know! I think I’m just gonna go with it and see! I’ll have to try work it with work but won’t be easy!! I’m really hoping she will associate bottle with my mum who’s minding her while I work! So kinda when I’m not around she knows the only milk she can get is from a bottle!! I dunno it’s very stressful I’ll be honest!

Regarding water in this weather! If anything my little one is decreasing her feeds! Like she’s not one bit hungry during the day! So it’s hard to get liquids into her! I know water is empty calories but she seems to love the cold temp of the water so for the few days it might be good to keep her hydration levels up! She’s feeding very poorly during the day! But sure often during the heat you don’t want to eat yourself!

Do you want to stop breastfeeding?

Do you want to stop breastfeeding?

Pretty much lazygal!

She’s 6 months next week! I’m back to work end of August so I had planned to start weaning her into bottles about now so that I’d be fully finished by the time I’m back to work! But she won’t take a bottle. But I can’t continue to feed because I’m
    Back to work! So it’s a catch 22 and I’m not really sure what to do!

That’s why I was looking for advice here or anyone else’s experience on how they went back to work and had a baby without a bottle! I was hoping between food and a sippy cup that would maintain her but I haven’t looked into it fully yet! :(

You can work and breastfeed.
    My second wouldn't take a bottle. I tried different ones, expressed milk and formula. Nothing worked. So I just kept feeding him myself once I was back at work.
    You can try formula in a sippy cup, just prep it so the formula is sterilised properly.

• Advertisement

You can work and breastfeed.
    My second wouldn't take a bottle. I tried different ones, expressed milk and formula. Nothing worked. So I just kept feeding him myself once I was back at work.
    You can try formula in a sippy cup, just prep it so the formula is sterilised properly.

Thanks lazygal it just would be a long time for her not to be feeding! But look once solids are a regular thing could be a different story!!

Yes we started the formula in a sippy cup and she seems to be happy to sip out of it! Not taking in huge volumes but only started the milk yesterday! Had been cooled boiled water up to this point to get her used to the cup itself!

Advertisement