Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I combination fed my first, did one or two breast feeds a day on return to work. Working doesn't mean you've to stop altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

I can't believe I'm having this issue now, but after a year feeding with no major difficulties I have cracked nipples, one of which i think has gotten infected:'( I'm doing everything i can think of (salt water rinse, lansinoh, compresses and bactroban on the infected one) but does anyone have any other ideas? Or suggestions about what the cause might be? The pain and cracking started about 3 weeks ago, but it was only on and off until today. He's not teething, we haven't had any bites, and if anything he's feeding less lately... help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kat939 wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm having this issue now, but after a year feeding with no major difficulties I have cracked nipples, one of which i think has gotten infected:'( I'm doing everything i can think of (salt water rinse, lansinoh, compresses and bactroban on the infected one) but does anyone have any other ideas? Or suggestions about what the cause might be? The pain and cracking started about 3 weeks ago, but it was only on and off until today. He's not teething, we haven't had any bites, and if anything he's feeding less lately... help!

Poor you :(
    Never experienced it before but my froend swears by silver cups! Have you tried them? Best of luck with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was in a similar state (but much earlier in the game) this time last year when my new baby had tongue tie. I got a prescription for All purpose nipple ointment (APNO) and it was magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

Did you try put a bit of breast milk on them. I treat everything with a bit of milk lol

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies - I'm on the phone so can't figure out how to quote to reply lol! I remember people talking about those silver cups in the early days actually Millem, I'll look out for them! I was thinking i might need to go get a script alright jlm, it would have to happen on a weekend wouldn't it??? Typical:') did you have much trouble finding a pharmacy to make it up?
    I have tried putting breastmilk on it too Flo, i think it definitely helped a bit but it's still too painful to feed from that side... i wish i knew why it happened now though! Very annoying-_-

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have same issue. I was blaming it on thrush but now I’m not so sure. I did get a bite though. It’s really hard to manage him on that side especially when I need to tandem feed. It was improving but aggravated again this evening.

Thanks ladies - I'm on the phone so can't figure out how to quote to reply lol! I remember people talking about those silver cups in the early days actually Millem, I'll look out for them! I was thinking i might need to go get a script alright jlm, it would have to happen on a weekend wouldn't it??? Typical:') did you have much trouble finding a pharmacy to make it up?
    I have tried putting breastmilk on it too Flo, i think it definitely helped a bit but it's still too painful to feed from that side... i wish i knew why it happened now though! Very annoying-_-

Thanks again!

Ah there's nothing worse. It wouldn't be anything hormonal, time of the month or anything like that. Hopefully it's temporary and subsides soon.

Thanks again!

Kat I used the “digital doctor” this week! It’s a super service. You book an appointment and write a brief description then doctor rings you. They fax a prescription to chemist for you!
    If you have health insurance you probably have it free or if not I think it’s like €25?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I was actually thinking I'd wasted my money on the silver angels, as hadn't really got the hang of them before all my issues cleared up and everything has been ok since week 1, but sounds like I might need them later on!
    How is everyone getting on breastfeeding in public? I was so nervous at first, especially when I was on a crowded train but now it doesn't bother me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

kastasia wrote: »
    I was actually thinking I'd wasted my money on the silver angels, as hadn't really got the hang of them before all my issues cleared up and everything has been ok since week 1, but sounds like I might need them later on!
    How is everyone getting on breastfeeding in public? I was so nervous at first, especially when I was on a crowded train but now it doesn't bother me at all.

Good woman! I love seeing women feed in public as it's the only way to normalise it.

I found it very nerve-wracking at first but before long was flying. Have stopped now as I'm pregnant, but looking forward to doing my bit for public feeding again in the autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Good woman! I love seeing women feed in public as it's the only way to normalise it.

I’m the same. I always want to give a smile or thumbs up or something but don’t want to look like a lunatic! I can’t feed my little fella in public anymore. He’s too nosey. I can’t even watch tv or sit in a room with other people at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

bee06 wrote: »
    I’m the same. I always want to give a smile or thumbs up or something but don’t want to look like a lunatic! I can’t feed my little fella in public anymore. He’s too nosey. I can’t even watch tv or sit in a room with other people at home!

We are just about coming out of this phase now at 10 months. It’s been going on since 5 months. Pain in the backside. Especially when you are out and about for the day and they make up for not feeding by feeding all night!! Best tip I can give you is to try feeding in the sling. My baby would only feed in a quiet dark room or the sling so sling was a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I usually just smile and say something like, "keep up the good work" as I pass by

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I never had any worries about feeding in public until my baby got a bit older. I've noticed a few disapproving looks now that she's so big. She's 15 months but off the charts for height so she looks over 2.

I'm getting used to it now, though, and I'm less inclined to care what people think. Some of the mums in my breastfeeding group with toddlers only feed them at home and it's so sad that they feel they need to do that. I think it's really important to normalise breastfeeding toddlers and young children so I'm going to be brave and keep doing it. I'm planning to let her self wean and hoping she'll keep breastfeeding for as long as possible, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My local Sam McCauleys makes it up, but they charge €60. There’s a pharmacy in Waterford that posts it if you fax the prescription

We are just about coming out of this phase now at 10 months. It’s been going on since 5 months. Pain in the backside. Especially when you are out and about for the day and they make up for not feeding by feeding all night!! Best tip I can give you is to try feeding in the sling. My baby would only feed in a quiet dark room or the sling so sling was a lifesaver.

Good point, I have to practice this. We’ll be going on holidays soon so don’t want to be stuck by myself all day!

I have to admit I'm always a bit cautious bf in public. I don't let it stop me me but I'm always fearful of someone having something to say. I'm very discreet to the point where someone carried a tray of hot tea over my head while trying to get by me in a cafe. There's a little cafe I go to and the woman who runs it always brings me over a glass of water as soon as she sees me feeding. I didnt even ask. There is great appreciation out there for breastfeeding but like everything else there's always 1!

I feed in public much to the embarrassment of everyone in my family bar my own kids!!!!
    My mother tries to make me go down to a bedroom in her house.

I didn’t give a hoot until a year. But am a bit self conscious avout feeding in public now at 18 months. I don’t need to do it very often either which is part of it. They can go without now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never got a bad comment in public ever. Only compliments and smiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Iv never had any negative comments. Only negative thing i can remember is an older woman getting up and leaving when my girl was upset and gave me some daggers as she walked by and I was Popping out the boob, baby was about 4 months old at the time. It was one of those occasions where it was a process of elimination as to what was wrong because she wasn't really due a feed. But boobs solve most things!
    From about 12/13 months my girl was down to two feeds a day most days, morning and evening, so it was never an issue for me. But I wouldn't give a hoot nursing in public even now. I find I get the weird looks from people who ask if I'm still nursing, and they are usually from family.
    I very rarely ever say anything to anyone that I see out and about nursing. But i always love seeing it, and if we do catch eyes I'll give a nod or a smile. Unfortunately I don't see it very often.

Thanks all for comments - after a bit of research and a chat with pharmacist i decided to try a mild OTC hydrocortisone cream (since i already had the antibacterial) and it's definitely helping:) I'll use that digital doctor in the future though, thanks Millem! I'm registered for it and all and didn't even realise *lol*

In terms of feeding in public, I genuinely don't think anybody ever noticed me feeding! Maybe it would stand out more now that he's older but he only feeds at bedtime and during the night so it never comes up...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had some advice for me... I've an 8 day old little boy whom I'm breast feeding. He's feeding well but my prob arises when I finish feeding and go to out him down. If I do put him down he will wake within 5 min but if I sit holding him he could sleep for an hour and half.
    It's frustrating and tiring, anyone any advice?

Mondo123 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone had some advice for me... I've an 8 day old little boy whom I'm breast feeding. He's feeding well but my prob arises when I finish feeding and go to out him down. If I do put him down he will wake within 5 min but if I sit holding him he could sleep for an hour and half.

It’s exhausting but completely normal. The below link is a good explanation of why. I was able to put my little boy down at night if I waited a length of time so he was in a deeper sleep. It took a while to figure out how long to wait though. In the end it was 15 mins but it was a lot of trial and error. He’s 6 months now and I still have to wait 15 mins before I put him down. It never worked during the day.

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2012/11/04/the-fourth-trimester-aka-why-your-newborn-baby-is-only-happy-in-your-arms/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Completely normal. My girl was like that as well and I remember asking on here about it. Someone told me that their baby was an up-in-arms baby until they were about 5 months old and my girl was similar, but there was a big change around 3 months. Have you ever heard of the 4th trimester?

It's so frustrating when you know that you could be doing something while they are sleeping. Something I wish I had used a lot earlier is a carrier. For me a ring sling in particular would have been the job.

I gave up trying to put them down for a while when my twins were very young. Just let them sleep on the feeding cushion. Eventually they allowed me to transfer them to their cribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Mondo123 wrote: »

As other posters have said its to do with the 4th trimester thing! But I do understand your frustration. Same with my LO I had to wait for a certain amount of time 10-15 mins and then she will go down ok even now at 6 months!

We also bought a sleepy head and let her sleep in that! Found it helped make her super cosy in bed and she still uses it now at 6 months! We also had a Ewan the sheep and it played white noise which I thought was good!

Also as someone else said I just let her sleep on me! Once every 2-3 weeks even now at 6 months she just won’t go to her cot so I put a aside an hour watch tv and let her sleep on me! Now easier at 6 months as they only nap 2-3 times a day and as I said it’s not too frequent! But sometimes they just need us for what ever reason development, growth spurts etc!

Try and enjoy it as much as possible but hard to do when you are exhausted! Maybe let her sleep on someone else??! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Can anyone recommend a breast pump? Baby is 10 weeks old and has been breast fed so far. I'd like to begin to express some milk for one feed a day or if I needed to be away for a few hours. Is there much difference between different brands? Thanks for any tips/recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I'm just using the Haakaa most mornings. I have a little stash, just finding it difficult to get it fed back to him!

Advertisement