Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Toots wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone else have a huge delay in getting their period back after the birth, while breastfeeding? My daughter will be 7 months on Friday and still no sign of mine. Even went so far as to take a pregnancy test just in case (negative) After I had my son my period came back after about 8 weeks, but I wasn't able to breastfeed him so I'm not really comparing like with like

I was the same Toots, I breastfed for nearly 8 months and my period only returned when I stopped feeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Just wondering did anyone else have a huge delay in getting their period back after the birth, while breastfeeding? My daughter will be 7 months on Friday and still no sign of mine. Even went so far as to take a pregnancy test just in case (negative) After I had my son my period came back after about 8 weeks, but I wasn't able to breastfeed him so I'm not really comparing like with like
    I think it was 9 months or so when mine retuned last time. Completely normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m 8 months in and nothing either. I think it has to do with the frequency of feeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I can’t remember on my first, but on my second, it came back at 6 months, and it was 9 on my third I think! It’s definitely common for it to be delayed with feeding. I’m sure you know, but you could get pregnant with the first egg that’s released, so before your period returns at all, so if you don’t want another, be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yes my son is 1 and still no sign! Still feeding during the night :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes I think it depends on how good a sleeper your baby is!!!! If you have longer breaks between feeds, your period will return sooner.

I got mine back at 9 months(and two periods later, I was pregnant again....!). Apparently the average is 8 months, but anything up to 18 months is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

8 months for me and it came back after madam started increasing her solids and reduced a feed

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

jlm29 wrote: »
    I can’t remember on my first, but on my second, it came back at 6 months, and it was 9 on my third I think! It’s definitely common for it to be delayed with feeding. I’m sure you know, but you could get pregnant with the first egg that’s released, so before your period returns at all, so if you don’t want another, be careful!

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at ease!

We've been using contraception since we started having sex again but I can't use hormonal contraceptives so it's condoms only, which was grand until it transpired that they were the ones that Durex had to recall! Affected batch and everything! :eek: I think it's just a bit unnerving when my period tracker app saying 466 days since my last period :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at ease!

We've been using contraception since we started having sex again but I can't use hormonal contraceptives so it's condoms only, which was grand until it transpired that they were the ones that Durex had to recall! Affected batch and everything! :eek: I think it's just a bit unnerving when my period tracker app saying 466 days since my last period :pac:

My little girl was 17 months old when I got my first period and they were bit irregular for a few months. Think it depends on how often they breastfeed as well as your own hormones.
    Talk to your gp about contraception as I think some types of pill are safe when breastfeeding. Although, like you, we stuck to condoms just in case. Not that there was much time for sex between work, tiredness and a toddler who liked to nurse once or twice a night then sleep in the middle of our bedðŸ˜.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I had to fully wean to get cycles back and conceive number 2. Even though was down to one feed a day it still affected my fertility.
    Weaned at 14 months and got period 6 weeks later.
    Hoping it comes back sooner this time as I'll pushing on age wise but fully expect to have to wean again.
    Everyone is different though, midwife i spoke to got her cycle back at 4 months while breastfeeding twins!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mine came back at 15 months and anecdotally a few seem to take that long. I was still feeding twins round the clock when it returned. A friend of mine just got pregnant on first egg after fifteen months. Big surprise ( but wanted)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My GP starts the six week checkup with the statement "Breastfeeding is not contraception"!!!
    Haven't been feeding as long as you guys but I think I last pumped when this little guy was 10 weeks.Just got my first period yesterday and he is now 16 weeks (I was getting slightly worried).I can only imagine how much longer it would take if you were feeding for months.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah my GP was saying it's mad how many people think you can't get pregnant while breastfeeding! I never considered using it as a form of contraception, my husband always did one of the night feeds so I could sleep, so it was ruled out for me cos as far as I know it only works if you're not having gaps of more than 3 hours between feeds or something. I have a history of depression/possible bipolar disorder and hormonal changes seem to trigger it, so I've been told not to use hormonal contraceptives.

I've been getting really bad pains in my shoulder for a few weeks and I think it might be caused by my bra. Prior to breastfeeding I'd have always taken my bra off when I got my jammies on at about 10pm, but now I'm wearing one 24/7 and because it's not wired, my shoulders are taking the whole weight of my boobs. I think I'm going to have to find a physio :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can get nightime ones toots, that are non-wired and comfy.And then your ordinary maternity ones in theday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After #1 I conceived on what would have been the first cycle at 9 months PP, had an early loss just before 6 weeks and then got my period properly at 11 months PP. I stopped breastfeeding #1 when I was 10 weeks pregnant with #2 and he was 15.5 months as the milk dried up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Lucky ye. I was feeding every 2 hours day and night when my period came back at 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Hey guys. Possibly stupid question. How important is it for baby to be tummy to tummy with me while feeding? She keeps ending up with her side to me and turning her head... but seems to be feedinh well. Quite uncertain here as I'm only a few weeks in!!

Minier81 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Possibly stupid question. How important is it for baby to be tummy to tummy with me while feeding? She keeps ending up with her side to me and turning her head... but seems to be feedinh well. Quite uncertain here as I'm only a few weeks in!!

I remember worrying about the same. Is the latch comfortable for you, does she seem comfortable, is she gaining weight and having plenty of wet nappies? If it’s yes to all these then I wouldn’t worry too much. I found more of a laid back position made it easier to get closer to tummy to tummy so he wasn’t turning his head too much but I could never get him fully tummy to tummy.

bee06 wrote: »
    I remember worrying about the same. Is the latch comfortable for you, does she seem comfortable, is she gaining weight and having plenty of wet nappies? If it’s yes to all these then I wouldn’t worry too much. I found more of a laid back position made it easier to get closer to tummy to tummy so he wasn’t turning his head too much but I could never get him fully tummy to tummy.

Thanks!! Yes I'm confy and she seems comfy as she happily stays there for up to 25 mins. Plenty of wet nappies. And was gaining weight as of last week, due for a weigh in tomorrow so that will be reassuring if the weight is going up. The tummy to tummy just doesn't seem as natural for me but will keep trying to get her as close as possible to it.

Sounds like you’re both doing great so. I think the tummy to tummy advice is to get a nice, deep latch but if you’re getting that anyway then it’s all good. In a few months you’ll have a foot on your shoulder or a hand in your mouth if she’s anything like my little boy and tummy to tummy will be far from your mind!

• Advertisement

Girls any tips on back to work? By lunch I thought I was going to vomit with headache from engorgement.
    Taking breaks just after lunch to feed but one day will have to go for a good 8 hours :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just pump when you feel uncomfortable. I was pumping twice a day when I started. Down to once after a couple of weeks. And dropped it altogether after about six weeks. The body adjusts.

fits wrote: »
    Just pump when you feel uncomfortable. I was pumping twice a day when I started. Down to once after a couple of weeks. And dropped it altogether after about six weeks. The body adjusts.

Sorry fits I should of said. I can’t pump on this day.....literally no time.
    Is there anything else I can do or is it just mind over matter?

I will see how long I can last.
    The other days are okish well fingers crossed.
    Wore proper bra today as it kind of numbs the pain a bit!!! Nursing bra made me feel worse last week?? Or could proper bra clog ducts??

Hats off to all who work and feed I am just exhausted. It’s such a constant juggle.

A cold cloth held to each breast is supposed to help with engorgement. Sounds awful but your body will slowly adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

A quick bit of hand expressing in the loo to ease the load? Your body should adapt in a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Have you tried the Haakaa. I find it great for engorgement in the morning. No leads attached, quite discreet as in u could have a scarf draped over it and very portable. Even a few mins will ease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Hi all! So I think my 22 month old lb has weaned...he was down to one morning feed but this is day 3 now of skipping that. Just a question about the weaning process, boobs are feeling pretty full and a bit tender atm and I'm wondering if it'll just die down over the next couple of days or if I need to pump a bit? I'm not uncomfortable the way I would have been if I spent a day or night away from ds when he was feeding much more but definitely quite full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

When i weaned i felt the same, not engorged just full. I hand expressed only if got very sore and on two occasions i felt a blocked duct and massaged that out. Only expressing the minimum for comfort. Boobs hurt for maybe three days then woke up and chest had deflated overnight! Think i took some nurofen too for discomfort too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

My son is 3 weeks old tomorrow and I've been getting on great with feeding so far until 2 days ago. All of a sudden he's like a madman shaking his head and hands side to side looking for the nipple while I'm guiding him to it resulting in him missing it and getting even more frustrated, once he does latch he's only on a short while and throws himself off only to search for it wildly again. He's always had PLENTY of wet and dirty nappies and is still loading them up for me so I know he's getting enough but he just seems so unsatisfied with our feeding now and everytime he's not on the boob he's wailing. He's also sleeping considerably less. Health nurse is coming today for a check up and I feel so worried she's going to tell me I've been doing it all wrong or he's ill or I'm just **** at this breastfeeding business. Is this just a growth spurt? My 2yo daughter was bf for 5 months and anytime she had a growth spurt she just fed more and slept more for 3-5 days and then back to normal routine again. Can anyone advise me please if this is normal? I've been up since 2am feeding and cuddling but he's still fussy in between 10 min catnaps. Feeling quite useless to him at the moment and wondering if I should buy some formula to top him up :(

• Advertisement

Sounds like a growth spurt alright. As long as he’s having plenty of wet and dirty nappies I wouldn’t be worrying about him getting enough

Advertisement