Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am trying to night wean! Can’t keep up with these night feeds and work and have older child ;(
    We are on night 2! Lots of crying last night. Woke up very engorged this morning by lunch had a clogged duct. Fed alot this afternoon to unblock.
    Has anyone managed to night wean and still feed during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Yep we night weaned at around 12 or 13 months and he fed during the day no bother. Had the night of doom the 1st night. He slept through by night 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Millem wrote: »
    I am trying to night wean! Can’t keep up with these night feeds and work and have older child ;(
    We are on night 2! Lots of crying last night. Woke up very engorged this morning by lunch had a clogged duct. Fed alot this afternoon to unblock.
    Has anyone managed to night wean and still feed during the day?

I never set out to night wean but it happened near the age of two on my last. Your milk will dry up during the night but it will take a few days. I have heard some ladies cut the length of the night feeds down gradually to help instead of just cutting them out. You could hand express a bit for comfort either during the night for a couple of nights and that should help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

bovril wrote: »
    I never set out to night wean but it happened near the age of two on my last. Your milk will dry up during the night but it will take a few days. I have heard some ladies cut the length of the night feeds down gradually to help instead of just cutting them out. You could hand express a bit for comfort either during the night for a couple of nights and that should help too.

weirdly this morning only one side was engorged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Are there are super absorbent breasts pads out these days? Was considering reusable but am wondering how absorbent they are? How many would I need to get me through the day like. An overactive letdown and oversupply isn’t helping the situation :D

• Advertisement

Digs wrote:
    Are there are super absorbent breasts pads out these days? Was considering reusable but am wondering how absorbent they are? How many would I need to get me through the day like. An overactive letdown and oversupply isn’t helping the situation

I use the little lamb reusable ones but they aren't very absorbent. I've had to switch to a few disposable ones I had left over from the last baby the last few days. I'm still within the first 6 weeks so my supply is all over the shop! I use the boots thin/slim ones. The box is gone so I can't remember. Despite the name they are very absorbent. One supply settles the reusable ones should do the job.

Congrats Bovril!

I’m only 3 weeks in myself so realistically need to let my own supply settle before looking at the reusable etc. I’m flying through the disposable ones though. I’ve tried tommee tipee (Aldi had them on offer for €3.99 a box, think they’re gone now), boots own brand and Johnson & Johnson (awful!!). Boots were probably the best quality and price wise so may go back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Digs wrote: »
    Congrats Bovril!

I’m only 3 weeks in myself so realistically need to let my own supply settle before looking at the reusable etc. I’m flying through the disposable ones though. I’ve tried tommee tipee (Aldi had them on offer for €3.99 a box, think they’re gone now), boots own brand and Johnson & Johnson (awful!!). Boots were probably the best quality and price wise so may go back there!

I think I've tried them all at this point... Lidl ones are v good as are the NUK ones. Didn't even know reusable ones existed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My favourite are the Lansioh ones, followed by Johnson’s. The lansioh ones are individually wrapped, which annoys the crap out of me, it’s such a waste of plastic!

The Johnson ones are just too small for me but totally with you on the waste with the wrappers on the other ones jlm! Completely unecessary. Between the pads and the nappies I’m not doing much for the planet.

I had no idea Lidl did them, Will definitley be checking them out thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The Johnson ones are just too small for me but totally with you on the waste with the wrappers on the other ones jlm! Completely unecessary. Between the pads and the nappies I’m not doing much for the planet.

I had no idea Lidl did them, Will definitley be checking them out thanks a mill!

I know. I’d like to think I might go re-usable (nappies, breast pads and wipes) for my next baby, but I really don’t feel I could manage the nappies. Maybe I’ll compromise at wipes and breastpads

Congrats Bovril!

Thanks! Congratulations yourself.

Here is a link to the ones I find very good in boots.

https://www.boots.ie/boots-ultra-slim-breast-pads-1-x-36-pack-10053059

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

I've found the Lansinoh ones very comfortable. The Johnson & Johnson ones were small & rough/hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Congrats Bovril!

Ah congrats, Digs! What did you have in the end? And did you ever agree on a name lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I use the washable/reusable Boots breastpads. They are 6.99 for 3 pairs. They seem to be eternally on 3for2 offer so well worth getting 9 pairs as you do need to rush washing them before you run out! One of my best buys.i find them much better than the disposable ones. I have a strong let down too, most days now I can wear them for 12 hours, sometimes 24 if not leaky but occasionally need to change more often especially when baby was less than 3 months and I was leakier!

Ah congrats, Digs! What did you have in the end? And did you ever agree on a name lol?

Thanks Catriona!! We had a girl in the end, my husband is destined to stay surrounded by women it seems. After the poor child staying nameless for days we went completely off grid and called her Heidi! Hope you and your little people are doing well. A new kind of madness I’ve no doubt!!

Minier81 wrote: »
    I use the washable/reusable Boots breastpads. They are 6.99 for 3 pairs. They seem to be eternally on 3for2 offer so well worth getting 9 pairs as you do need to rush washing them before you run out! One of my best buys.i find them much better than the disposable ones. I have a strong let down too, most days now I can wear them for 12 hours, sometimes 24 if not leaky but occasionally need to change more often especially when baby was less than 3 months and I was leakier!

Did you find a settling down around 3 months? I’m trying to remember from my other two but didn’t have such an overabundance like this so can’t quite compare. I’m looking forward to not being constantly covered in milk. Those pads sound ideal so will keep an eye out. I am spending a fortune on the disposable ones. Ran out yesterday so had to go to the chemist and a box of theirs was €8 which will only last a few days.

The oversupply/letdown I think is also giving her gas...... I think. Would that sound right? She’s finding it hard to settle especially at night. Very wriggly and full of farts! I really should try get to the Holles Street support group but it’s proving difficult with the two older kids in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I used reusable ones made of silk and wool from a brand called Elanee. They are super soft and extra absorbent. I got them from Germany at the time but I just had a quick look and you can get them on Amazon now.

Thanks Catriona!! We had a girl in the end, my husband is destined to stay surrounded by women it seems. After the poor child staying nameless for days we went completely off grid and called her Heidi! Hope you and your little people are doing well. A new kind of madness I’ve no doubt!!

Oh Heidi is a gorgeous name! I'm sure she is a dote. Your husband is a very lucky man - blessed art thou amongst women, and all that! Well done to you on a long nine months, on bringing her safely into this world (dare I ask how fast your labour was?!), and on your breastfeeding journey. Hurrah!

Thanks a million and the exact same back to you!
    Her labour was 1hr7, so longer then #2 but shorter then #1! I was induced at 38+4 for reduced movements so was in the right place when it started. They just had to break my waters. Nothing happened for 7 hours and once I got a contraction it was showtime.

I can’t thank Holles Street staff enough for how they looked after us. Looking back on the last week or so before I had her I just didn’t feel right, I was so anxious and just had this wierd feeling. Her movements were all over the place and I was so glad they took the decision to induce her. They took it so seriously. Her heartbeat was fine and she was moving but they agreed they she wasn’t reactive when they were scanning her, I have this horribly uneasy feeling that I can’t explain if she’d been left it could have been an awful outcome. They said they place a huge amount of weight on a mother’s gut instinct and I really believe I knew she needed out. It’s bizarre. I’m telling every woman who'll listen to me to really listen to their gut when pregnant and if at all worried go into the hospital.

I’m delighted to be feeding her too and it’s all going very well Bar both of us getting soaked :D I could do with another pair of hands for sure though but the beauty of the third is the older one amuses the second somewhat for me.

I can only imagine how full your hands are Catriona. Two under 2 is absolutely no joke. I hope you’re eldest is adjusting and going as easy on you as possible at this stage!!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million and the exact same back to you!
    Her labour was 1hr7, so longer then #2 but shorter then #1! I was induced at 38+4 for reduced movements so was in the right place when it started. They just had to break my waters. Nothing happened for 7 hours and once I got a contraction it was showtime.

I can’t thank Holles Street staff enough for how they looked after us. Looking back on the last week or so before I had her I just didn’t feel right, I was so anxious and just had this wierd feeling. Her movements were all over the place and I was so glad they took the decision to induce her. They took it so seriously. Her heartbeat was fine and she was moving but they agreed they she wasn’t reactive when they were scanning her, I have this horribly uneasy feeling that I can’t explain if she’d been left it could have been an awful outcome. They said they place a huge amount of weight on a mother’s gut instinct and I really believe I knew she needed out. It’s bizarre. I’m telling every woman who'll listen to me to really listen to their gut when pregnant and if at all worried go into the hospital.

I’m delighted to be feeding her too and it’s all going very well Bar both of us getting soaked :D I could do with another pair of hands for sure though but the beauty of the third is the older one amuses the second somewhat for me.

I can only imagine how full your hands are Catriona. Two under 2 is absolutely no joke. I hope you’re eldest is adjusting and going as easy on you as possible at this stage!!

1 hr 7 mins was impressive! I was 90 minutes this time and went into spontaneous labour myself. Scared about number 3! So glad you had such a great experience with HS (I had my two there and I really do not have a bad word to say about them). We owe them so much!

Two under two sure is tough, but we will get there!

1 hr 7 mins was impressive! I was 90 minutes this time and went into spontaneous labour myself. Scared about number 3! So glad you had such a great experience with HS (I had my two there and I really do not have a bad word to say about them). We owe them so much!

Two under two sure is tough, but we will get there!

They were pretty proactive this time given the speed of my second, I was offered a sweep etc and would have had the choice of induction closer to due date but nature intervened anyway and the induction just happened sooner so if you go back for the third you should be well looked after in anticipation of a similar or shorter one! I totally agree, haven’t a bad word to say about HS, had all 3 there and have had excellent care. Any more trips back there for me will be to visit others ;)

They were pretty proactive this time given the speed of my second, I was offered a sweep etc and would have had the choice of induction closer to due date but nature intervened anyway and the induction just happened sooner so if you go back for the third you should be well looked after in anticipation of a similar or shorter one! I totally agree, haven’t a bad word to say about HS, had all 3 there and have had excellent care. Any more trips back there for me will be to visit others ;)

Would you have considered a home birth? We have moved further from hospital now so I think the chances of me getting there in time are slim. It would stress me out all pregnancy. So I'm fairly certain I would like to have a home birth next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Did you find a settling down around 3 months? I’m trying to remember from my other two but didn’t have such an overabundance like this so can’t quite compare. I’m looking forward to not being constantly covered in milk. Those pads sound ideal so will keep an eye out. I am spending a fortune on the disposable ones. Ran out yesterday so had to go to the chemist and a box of theirs was €8 which will only last a few days.

The oversupply/letdown I think is also giving her gas...... I think. Would that sound right? She’s finding it hard to settle especially at night. Very wriggly and full of farts! I really should try get to the Holles Street support group but it’s proving difficult with the two older kids in tow.

It definitely settled after about 3 months. Before then I could collect 5oz in a single feed from the Haakaa! I was leaking all over the place, and washing my sheets very often, a nuisance!! I hadn't thought about the wind, but our little was definitely windier at that stage too, so I'm sure the oversupply didn't help with that either. The Holles st clinic is worth attending if you can make it in.

Would you have considered a home birth? We have moved further from hospital now so I think the chances of me getting there in time are slim. It would stress me out all pregnancy. So I'm fairly certain I would like to have a home birth next time.

It was suggested to us but when we talked about it it didn’t make sense for our particular circumstances. They totally make sense for others. My second was 37 mins, so at home we would have been counting on a midwife to get to us in time anyway plus what to do with the other two kids. I know some people like to involve them at home but my eldest is a bit of a worrier and there’s no way on earth I’d want her to see me in labour. An induction in a controlled setting was definitley the best option for me (caveat being I went to 42 weeks on the first 2 so I’d make it close to due date for the actual induction!). The kids were minded and I knew I was exactly where I wanted to be when it started.

Minier81 wrote: »
    It definitely settled after about 3 months. Before then I could collect 5oz in a single feed from the Haakaa! I was leaking all over the place, and washing my sheets very often, a nuisance!! I hadn't thought about the wind, but our little was definitely windier at that stage too, so I'm sure the oversupply didn't help with that either. The Holles st clinic is worth attending if you can make it in.

Yes!!! I got the haakaa last week and 5oz is exactly what my right boob is giving me on letdown. Maybe 2/3ish on the left.... clearly the “lazy” one! I’m sick of being soaked, the baby is soaked, the couch, bed...... everything. I was beginning to think I have a sensory issue because I hate the feeling of being drenched but my husband is telling me it’s totally understandable! You’re giving me hope with 3 months, if there’s an end to it I can cope although I am getting a bit more savvy at managing it so things are improving. The haakaa is brilliant, very fiddly though. If she doesn’t kick it off I have to catch it before the suction goes. Clearly needs practise!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Digs I am dropping in here...I had total oversupply on two of my three, I was continuously drenched.Everything was drenched.It is hard.And I am glad you say she is windy, mine were, in particular the third, who I ran into problems with-I couldn't keep him latched on from round four weeks, causing supply to drop.Couldn't figure it out but I really felt it was wind ,and the speed of the let down was most of the problem.It's really annoying.The one thing I did find was that I gave him a bottle round 7pm from the start which was great because I was less drenched at night then -on my second, she would cluster feed and I would wake up soaked every night- sheets, pjs, the works-several times, if her sleep stretched at all.It just got really old......

Shesty thanks. I have to say it’s a relief to hear I’m not over dramatising how annoying it is. I’ve no pain this time, she’s latching brilliantly, gaining weight like a champ so I was getting fed up with myself for finding this to be an issue, but it is. Clearly a big issue if it’s causing her discomfort. kellymom etc is telling me a fast letdown can cause them to be gassy and I suppose it makes sense. When I see the force it sprays out with and the sheer volume it’s no surprise.

I have been trying laid back feeding and I try hand expressing before latching her but that’s difficult when she’s looking to feed! I fully intend to start giving her a bottle in the evening, am trying to get to 4/5 weeks. I have a nice freezer stash built up aswell ready to go.

My husband is going to work from home tomorrow so I can get into Holles Street for the group, woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I was always leaking at the start, flying through the disposables so bought the boots reusable and found them good. Stopped needing any a good while ago though.
    Have a busy day tomorrow so trying to build up some milk (have plenty frozen, but still try to just build up fresh for it) and since yesterday morning only have 3oz from haakaa, where at the start I'd have got that in no time. I'd like to keep feeding until 1, going back to work when he's 9 months, so thinking maybe I need to invest in some other kind of pump?
    The haakaa has served me well though, so in case anyone is looking for one I got an email this morning saying they're 40% off on their UK site with code Christmas40.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No problem Digs.I can't say I have any solutions and unfortunately it led to problems feeding, as they were just very fussy, particularly himself.But I remember my second being really fussy about wind up to nearly 18 months, lost count of the number of nights she would be awake and I would have to go in- she wouldn't resettle til she got upright and let a load of gas out.I have actually taken this guy out of his grobag lately and he is in padded babygros, as he does so much grunting and trying to pass wind at night, and the grobag restricts his legs and wakes him up.Honestly.....🙄
    Hope it works out well for you.I hated being contiuously drenched and it was only when I talked to my sister lately that I realised how different my experience was with BF and how it was hardly surprising I stopped early-she never has half the "problems" I did, with continuously soaked bras, trying to latch a half drowned baby (!) , milk pouring out of the other boob while they feed from the first, and the resultanr wind, no matter what you do-not a great experience.

Advertisement