Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

lunamoon wrote: »
    He'll drink expressed milk for his granny. I haven't tried him on any other type of milk yet. Any suggestions on what one would be good?

It’s not recommended to give milk other than breast milk or formula as a drink before 1 as it doesn’t contain the right nutrient requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    It’s not recommended to give milk other than breast milk or formula as a drink before 1 as it doesn’t contain the right nutrient requirements.

And their systems can't digest it properly either AFAIK.

Don't give cows milk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Luna moon my eldest did what your little fella is doing. I’m feeding my third and she’s 8.5 months and rapidly losing interest in day feeds too, too much to see and do. I know from my other babies that it ebbs and flows and interest will probably come back around again. It does help me to take her off to a quiet room to feed, it’s less distracting, if her sisters are about forget it! You’re doing everything right, keep offering the boob, if he wants it he’ll take it. If not food and water is perfectly adequate, no need for anything else at this age.

From speaking to friends it’s a fairly common thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Digs wrote: »
    Luna moon my eldest did what your little fella is doing. I’m feeding my third and she’s 8.5 months and rapidly losing interest in day feeds too, too much to see and do. I know from my other babies that it ebbs and flows and interest will probably come back around again. It does help me to take her off to a quiet room to feed, it’s less distracting, if her sisters are about forget it! You’re doing everything right, keep offering the boob, if he wants it he’ll take it. If not food and water is perfectly adequate, no need for anything else at this age.

From speaking to friends it’s a fairly common thing.

+1 to all this. Interest in boob definitely ebbs and flows. Keep doing what you are doing. Don’t give cows milk.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lunamoon wrote: »
    He'll drink expressed milk for his granny. I haven't tried him on any other type of milk yet. Any suggestions on what one would be good?

With formula it's a case of trial and error to find the one that suits him best- aptimel premade stuff suited my lad but the powdered aptimel gave him the runs.

Small amounts of cows milk were fine to give a few years ago I'm not sure if that's changed but I used to just give full fat cows milk in cereal but any sippy cups or bottles were formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Neyite wrote: »
    With formula it's a case of trial and error to find the one that suits him best- aptimel premade stuff suited my lad but the powdered aptimel gave him the runs.

Small amounts of cows milk were fine to give a few years ago I'm not sure if that's changed but I used to just give full fat cows milk in cereal but any sippy cups or bottles were formula.

Yeh I was thinking of trying Apitmel or Hipp Organic. I've a feeling he won't drink either though, too busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Thanks for all the replies. It's 10 days since last feed and I feel back to normal more or less. Day 8 was I think the last morning I had to hand express and I'd say the worst was over by day 5. He seems fine, just going in for big hugs, often beside a boob (which was a bit sore when they were still in transition) but apart from a quick latching on once he hasn't been grabbing. I was often feeding to sleep though so haven't quite figured out how to get him to sleep at night when tired without bringing him into the bed. We'll get there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

For bedtime when I stopped with my first we introduced story time followed by the usual song (or two or three :-)!). Now she was just turned two, so we could get her involved in it by getting her to pick out her book etc. But have a think if there's anything you can do a direct swap with at bedtime to replace nursing and see if that works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

kastasia wrote: »
    I stopped feeding my nearly 15 month old yesterday morning. We had been mainly doing early morning and last thing at night I gave him a big feed the night before, then a few minutes in the morning and as we had babysitters last night I decided that was the last one. (have a few reasons for stopping, had just planned on going to 12 months but kept putting it off). I was tempted to feed for a few minutes this morning for relief but just hand expressed in the shower. Any tips for relieving engorgement without boosting supply and how long should it last? Feeling a little emotional too...

So emotional to stop.Every time.Hormonal come down is part of it I believe.I cried each time and that was only after a few weeks-can only imagine 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

I was wondering if anyone has any advise or if this completely normal!
    Our little girl is a week old today.
    Her feeding seems to go along the pattern of sleeping for about 3 hours and then eating/being winded/comforted/changed for about 2 or more hours. Is this normal? For example she started mooching for food at 2.30 this morning so I got her up. She fed on both breasts, she has come back to both breasts on and off since then (being winded etc. In the middle) it is now 5am and she still won’t go down. She done the same thing from 9-11.30 last night. When I try put her down in the crib she just cries. Should I expect this to change or just accept that she will be awake and looking for food probably more often than she is asleep? I know it is probably falling at first hurdle but has anyone tried to give them a soother to comfort them and to shorten the time they are awake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has any advise or if this completely normal!
    Our little girl is a week old today.
    Her feeding seems to go along the pattern of sleeping for about 3 hours and then eating/being winded/comforted/changed for about 2 or more hours. Is this normal? For example she started mooching for food at 2.30 this morning so I got her up. She fed on both breasts, she has come back to both breasts on and off since then (being winded etc. In the middle) it is now 5am and she still won’t go down. She done the same thing from 9-11.30 last night. When I try put her down in the crib she just cries. Should I expect this to change or just accept that she will be awake and looking for food probably more often than she is asleep? I know it is probably falling at first hurdle but has anyone tried to give them a soother to comfort them and to shorten the time they are awake?

It's totally normal, and will change again. Have you heard of cluster feeding? Basically your milk is produced on a supply and demand basis. These nights and days she's feeding more to put in an order with your breasts to up their supply for the next few days. Tbh you are incredibly luckygetting a week old baby to sleep for 3 hour blocks. Mine always woke after about an hour. Your baby's stomach is tiny, and they are super effective at processing breastmilk which is why they feed often. And your milk is especially tailored to be the most nutritious thing for their needs at this stage. Their stomach is only about the size of an apricot when full. So empties quickly too and needs refilling. The other thing to remember is that baby is feeding for more than hunger. You are her safe place, all she knows is your heartbeat and smell and she's been dumped out into this cold, loud, bright world only a week ago, so wants be be around what is familiar to her, and that is you. Have a Google of the 4th trimester, I found it helped me.
    Its really hard dealing with the tiredness and cluster feeding the first few weeks, but I found cosleeping and feeding on my side really helpful, as I didn't feel like I had to wake up fully to feed and I certainly wasn't going to get out of my nice warm bed and feed anywhere else. Would be worth getting to a breastfeeding group locally, you can chat to other Mama's and be reassured what you are going through is normal.
    Id avoid a soother yet as you need her sucking on you to increase your supply, she'll suck on the soother but still be hungry, your supply will stay as is and you'll probably have issues then with gaining weight and be advised to supplement.
    Stick at it, you're doing a great job, it's totally normal, rest as much as you can tomorrow, eat lots and accept all the help you can.

Does anyone have any tips for using the Haaka pump? I have only started using it today (baby is almost 3 weeks old). There doesn’t seem To be any milk Coming out unless I hand express on the boob attached to the pump, is this normal? Or should it be coming out without me Having to express?
    Also, I have watched a few videos for tips on getting it to stay on but I can’t seem to get it to stay on very well. I have small boobs if this could possibly be the problem with getting it to stay on.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Does anyone have any tips for using the Haaka pump? I have only started using it today (baby is almost 3 weeks old). There doesn’t seem To be any milk Coming out unless I hand express on the boob attached to the pump, is this normal? Or should it be coming out without me Having to express?
    Also, I have watched a few videos for tips on getting it to stay on but I can’t seem to get it to stay on very well. I have small boobs if this could possibly be the problem with getting it to stay on.
    TIA

Yeah, it should be coming out without you having to hand express. I found flow was best when Baby was feeding on the other side....

I found if i folded back the Haaka outer rim as far as it would go and really squeezed the bottle well before placing it over the nipple and releasing the rim then that it worked really well. I did tend to have to hold it though - was just afraid it would fall I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Have you tried it with the baby latched on the other side? The haakaa really works by collecting milk that's triggered by the let down. If your baby is feeding on the other side at the same time you should start to get plenty of milk in the haakaa. I never got anything at all when I tried it on its own but it would be overflowing when I used it with my baby on the other side.

I think with getting it to stay it's probably a case of practise and fiddling with different ways yourself. I would say try to squeeze out as much of the air as possible and hold it tight before placing it to create as much suction as possible. I also used to find that it stuck on a bit better if it wasn't completely dry. You could hand express a few drops and use it to slightly wet the rim of the suction part before you start placing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Has anyone used the aldi version of the haaka? Is it the very same thing?
    I don't know if I can face into using my pump, i have a total pumping aversion, but I wouldn't mind trying the odd bottle now, I can usually time feeds and get away for an hour if I need to, but I do hate thinking that if I'm out and shes hungry she just has to cry until I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

TIA

I never got much with the Haakaa and found it really uncomfortable to use as well. I have small boobs too. Don’t know if it makes a difference. If he was latched on I’d get maybe 0.5 oz but it was a pain having to hold onto it. And once he got active it was impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nettie1

TIA

I wouldn’t pump or express at all til 6 weeks when your supply is established unless you absolutely need to. Otherwise you risk an oversupply which can be a bit of a dose.

I have noticed that My 4 week olds poo has been more green than yellow for the last few days - is that anything to worry about as everywhere says BF babies poos should be yellow?

Also has anyone any remedies for excess mucus/phlegm - I feel like our little one has it as we can hear it when winding etc during a feed. It has been like that since the start and doctor says nothing to worry about if she is feeding ok and nothing that can be given to her as she is so young. But I would love to be able to clear it for her if I could.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

I have noticed that My 4 week olds poo has been more green than yellow for the last few days - is that anything to worry about as everywhere says BF babies poos should be yellow?

Also has anyone any remedies for excess mucus/phlegm - I feel like our little one has it as we can hear it when winding etc during a feed. It has been like that since the start and doctor says nothing to worry about if she is feeding ok and nothing that can be given to her as she is so young. But I would love to be able to clear it for her if I could.

Thanks in advance

Hi Sarah1916

I have no advice regarding the mucus! Poor thing so hard to heard them caught up and they so young!! It’s really tough on them!

Regarding the green poo it’s a sign (I think haven’t have a newborn in over 1.5 years!) to the best of my memory that baby is getting too much front milk! So the first milk that a boob produces is light and doesn’t have too much fat! It’s a real thirst quencher! But they the hind milk comes in which is heavier and more filling! Do you feed from both breasts? Try and feed from only one each feed to be sure that your little one is getting the hind milk and the poo should go back yellow!

And if I’m wrong sorry on this but I know that there is a change of colour when baby only gets the foremilk I just can’t remember the colours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Thanks in advance

On the phlegm, if Baby has a runny nose is the phlegm from a nasal drip? Basically the runny nose dripping down back of airway when lying down resulting in a "chesty" sound?

If so, we found propping the head of the crib up helped a lot. Not just the matress but propping the entire crib say big books under cot legs).

We used a humidifier too which can
    keep airways moist and keeps mucus loose.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

The fore milk/hind milk thing can be a bit of a misnomer. This article explains it well:

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/articles/2010/6/27/worries-about-foremilk-and-hindmilk.html
    What really matters. Research indicates that there is no reason to worry about foremilk and hindmilk or to coax a baby to feed longer. As long as a baby is breastfeeding effectively and the mother does not cut feedings short, baby will receive about the same amount of milk fat over the course of a day no matter what the breastfeeding pattern (Kent, 2007). This is because the baby who breastfeeds more often consumes foremilk higher in fat than the baby who breastfeeds less often. So in the end it all evens out.

So basically, don't stress too much. Try to feed baby off the breast until it feels quite empty, then move onto the other.

There can be several other causes of green poo in a newborn. One is a food sensitivity, e.g. cows milk protein allergy. They often have other symptoms alongside this - gastro trouble, excessive wind, tummy discomfort, constipation or mucousy nappies, rash, congestion, eczema, hives... to name a few! Often it is a sign of a virus or bug. Or it could just be because mum.is eating a lot of green food herself.

If you're concerned, it might be worth seeing your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

My understanding is that there is a wide range of normal colours for breastmilk fed babies. Anything from bright yellow to dark green is generally nothing to worry about (as long as there are no other symptoms or blood/mucous in the poo). My son had exclusively green poo for a few weeks around the 6-8 week mark and the GP was totally unconcerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Worried about my sons intake of milk. He's ticking all the boxes as regards weight gain and dirty nappies but we seem to be feeding more or less non stop other than a couple of longer breaks during the day. This is really taking its toll due to lack of sleep.

I have flat nipples so we have been advised to use nipple shields by a lactation consultant. She was quite dismissive that the shields could cause any supply/milk uptake issues but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps baby is working very hard to get the milk he's getting and is therefore stopping a feed too soon before needing to go back in again ten minutes later after a brief rest.

Public health nurse keeps saying fed is best which isn't really helpful as I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet so I'm running out of people to go to for advice.

Anyone any experience/advice for this situation?

How old is your baby?

I used shields for the two years I nursed my eldest. Never had any issues with constant nursing over a prolonged period. But she would have periods where she would nurse more often eg growth spurts, teething etc. For me using the shields was the difference between being able to keep going or jacking it in.

Have you done any weighed feeds? That's probably one of the best ways to know how efficient he is with nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had flat nipples but they changed shape with feeding. Have you tried feeding without shields? How old is baby?

fits wrote: »
    I had flat nipples but they changed shape with feeding. Have you tried feeding without shields? How old is baby?

I started without shields but ended up with bleeding nipples by day 2 postpartum, got the lactation consultant out straight away and ended up with shields which to be fair have gotten me this far.

Have given a few attempts to latch him without the shields without much success but yes that's my plan for the next week, try and get him nursing independently. However, this is directly ignoring the advice of the LC who suggested going until the baby latched independently with no effort. I'm currently on antibiotics for mastitis so really don't want to make things worse.

Baby was 2 weeks yesterday.

scarepanda wrote: »
    How old is your baby?

I used shields for the two years I nursed my eldest. Never had any issues with constant nursing over a prolonged period. But she would have periods where she would nurse more often eg growth spurts, teething etc. For me using the shields was the difference between being able to keep going or jacking it in.

Have you done any weighed feeds? That's probably one of the best ways to know how efficient he is with nursing.

That's good to know. I have no issue with using the shields long term, providing they aren't causing myself or baby any issues.

I hadn't thought of weighed feeds. I'll give that a go

I have considered he might just be a very hungry baby and also enjoys the comfort of thr breast. It just seems excessive even for a newborn.

Also, when he's feeding have a look/listen and see if he's still actively nursing after a few minutes (you'll see his jaw moving and hear the suckle if he is). It could may be be that he's getting his full in the first few minutes (which his nappies would indicate), but then he's still staying on for a comfort feed. My second is a fecker for the comfort feed at times. Tbh if he's under 6 weeks, the best thing you can do for both of you is to set up camp in front of the TV and you relax while he's nursing. It gets easier after that point.

The only other thing I can think of is to find out whether he's tongue tied. My second was and we got hers snipped at 9 days old and have been feeding her without shields since about 16 weeks (my fault for taking so long to get her off them). I reckon my first is aswell but I think she is a type 4, so not obvious to the eye. My nipples are not quite flat, but not much better, but definitely with my second her tongue tie was the biggest issue with soreness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Cluster feeding" almost non-stop is very normal:
    I know it is annoying (and the lack of sleep is a killer) but human babies have evolved this way: the very-frequent-feeding often precedes a growth spurt, as well as establishing a good milk supply.
    It doesn't last for ever, even though it may feel like it!
    I used to find that letting the baby get a bit hungry and a bit tired, and then give them a bath, would help them to take in a good, long substantial feed and then sleep a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Here are the growth spurts and leaps that can result in cluster feeding.

If you’re not happy with the advice from your LC then you are well within your rights to go to someone else. Make sure they are an IBCLC.

Advertisement