Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think Sam and I have a thrush infection. My nipples and the surrounding areas are bright pink/red (they are normally brown), shiny and have gone flakey. While Sam has white patches in his mouth and a splotchy nappy rash. Feeding him is absolute agony and I've had to completely change how we do it. I was fine feeding him in any position, lying down, in a wrap, walking about with him in my arms, etc. Now it hurts so much I can only manage if I prop us up on pillows and keep him in a sideways rugby hold. Even still I often end up screaming aloud. I had thought the pains were due to rawness from his cluster feeding but his feeding demands have completely settled back but the pain is increasing. Worse I think he is having some pain in his mouth now too and I'm worried that if it gets worse it will make him reluctant to eat. We're seeing the doctor in a couple of hours, so fingerscrossed we get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I'm a bit nervous as it's our first time with a new doctor so I don't know what type of attitude to expect. My old GP was great but he moved away. In the mean time I've switched him to disposable nappies and will switch myself to disposable breastpads. If it is thrush we have, the last thing I want to do is have it reoccur and keep swapping over and back between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Hi iguana

I can totally sympathise with what u and ur little man are going through as only last week I was posting on same issue. It is total agony and leave both you and baby in crap form. My GP was off so locum diagnosed by phone put me on an antibiotic and Canesten cream and baby on Mycostatin drops. The Canesten was a nuisance as I had to wash it every time i fed and I really couldn't understand why he put me on an antibiotic unless he thought I had mastitis too. We hadn't improve after 5 days so went back to my GP and she put us on Daktarin oral cream so baby can feed away so helps both of you and told me to use the 1 off oral tablet for thrush think it's called Diflucan.

Try and rest and feed as much as possible even though it hurts like hell. I would really recommend the tablet treatment for thrush I had used it before for vaginal thrush so much quicker and easier than messing with pessaries and
    creams

Good luck hope you got on well with your new doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

scrgirl has your little one been checked for tongue tie? I've no direct experience of it but if she was feeding fine up to 11 days then it may indicate tongue tie.

Liliq's little boy had tongue tie so she's more experienced. She may be able to give more help/advice.

I never used nipple shields so can't comment on them.

Emcm, can you get that tablet over the counter here? We definitely have thrush, the doctor gave me drops for Sam's mouth and cream for his bum. But he just gave me the cream as he said it should clear it up and come see him next week if it doesn't. The only thing is with Christmas, obviously I won't be able to see him next week. In the mean time I've bought some nipple shields and while feeding him is uncomfortable still it's a world away from the agony that it is without them.

I am not sure if you can get them over counter as I was with GP she just gave me a prescription. I live in south but near border so you can get them over counter in the North. I suppose you could ring your pharmacist and check and if not I am sure your Doctor would give you a prescription if you rang surgery. It's an awful dose we are really only getting over it now.

Good idea with nipple shields I really hope they help you and you both feel better soon.

By the way there is a generic version of Diflucan that is much cheaper that works just as well I am sure your chemist will know name I just can't remember it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Just an update on the whole weight issue. I had my girls 3 month check up this week and went in ready to have to battle it out with the nurse again. But to my surprise she had gone and sourced a new weight chart specifically for breastfed babies (she told me the last day that it didn't exist). Weight gain looks much steadier on this chart and she acknowledged that my babies development was perfectly normal and that she is just petite. I was so delighted. Even though I had no doubts myself about her development, its not easy to hear a medical professional say that they have concerns, its hard to not let that get to you a little bit.

Sorry to hear some of you mums are not feeling well at the moment. I have no advice to offer but hope the medication works and that you are all well for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

scrgirl has your little one been checked for tongue tie? I've no direct experience of it but if she was feeding fine up to 11 days then it may indicate tongue tie.

Liliq's little boy had tongue tie so she's more experienced. She may be able to give more help/advice.

I never used nipple shields so can't comment on them.

Yes he has been checked and thankfully is not tongue tied.

The shields are a pain I really don't like them they hurt he still doesn't latch on well and seems to take forever to finish a feed I've had him stuck to me and I'm in pain for the last 24 hours. Ouch Nearly gave a bottle last night I was so sore. It's too hard!!!

Have you gone to an ibclc lactation consultant? It's strange that he was latching on fine and now has topped. I'd recommend you either find an ibclc lactation consultant in your area or contact your local la Leche league leader who are ibclc qualified and are free. Get their opinion on what's wrong.

Have you gone to an ibclc lactation consultant? It's strange that he was latching on fine and now has topped. I'd recommend you either find an ibclc lactation consultant in your area or contact your local la Leche league leader who are ibclc qualified and are free. Get their opinion on what's wrong.

I have been ringing and leaving msgs on lc phones all week. Seems no one is working. I feel very helpless and I'm sure if I got 15 mins with an expert it would prob be resolved.

Hi Scrgirl

Poor you it's bound to be frustrating for both you and baby. Just want to echo what How Strange said speak to someone who is an expert in the field they will know every problem under the sun. I am not sure where you are but i actually rang the breastfeeding nurses in the hospital where I had baby they were wonderful my problem was with reflux so not the same as yours but they were brilliant and it was 5 weeks after I had my son but they still took my call and were more than helpful.

I have never used shields but know people who did and found they helped with pain.

Good luck I know it can be hard in the beginning but your not alone and there is support out there. Just maybe make your calls today as a lot of people finishing up work with Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

scrgirl wrote: »

I have been ringing and leaving msgs on lc phones all week. Seems no one is working. I feel very helpless and I'm sure if I got 15 mins with an expert it would prob be resolved.

Hi scgirl, so sorry to hear you're having some problems...
    Where abouts are you based? A lot of LCs might be away for the holidays but we might be able to find one near you. thetr are also cuidiu breastfeeding counsellors who might be able to help.
    Who checked your baby for tongue tie? There are four main types of tongue tie and some you can't even see, but someone who is more expert can feel them.
    There are a few indicators of tongue tie, but one or all of the indicators doesn't mean there is definitely one there, and having none of the indicators doesn't rule it out either...
    One strong indicator is a clicking noise when nursing, or sometimes the tip of your nipple can be flattened at an angle like the top of a lipstick after a feed.
    If you want to pm me with a rough location I can send on some contact details for you.
    Hope things improve soon, and you're doing fab ESP considering the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

Hi all
    Just wondering if someone could answer a quick question for me? How long can I keep a bottle of expressed milk at room temperature? Went out for the day today and brought a bottle (expressed this morning) and I didn't end up using it!
    Had it stored in my bag, can I give this to her or do I have to dump it?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Pebbles81 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just wondering if someone could answer a quick question for me? How long can I keep a bottle of expressed milk at room temperature? Went out for the day today and brought a bottle (expressed this morning) and I didn't end up using it!
    Had it stored in my bag, can I give this to her or do I have to dump it?

Thanks

There's a rule of sixes... Six hours at room temp, six days in the fridge and six months in the freezer... As far as I remember!

Thanks CK83

Dowb the drain it goes.... What a waste!!!
    I know better the next time ;(

Thanks CK83

Dowb the drain it goes.... What a waste!!!
    I know better the next time ;(
    I had an avent insulated bag... If I had to bring a bottle of milk out, I used put it in that, with a bag of ice chips... Then count it as refrigerated. Big late now, but you'll know for again. Nothing more upsetting than dumping your own product!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

implausible i can only imagine how emotional giving that last feed was and the end of the bm. fair play to you and dubstarr i just hope i can continue on as much as ye did. must honestly say i think these are the moments ill cherish forever.

Hope all the other mum experiencing difficulties will find help

Me again with yet another question 😄
    My 3 year old nephew has chicken pix at the moment. We are all having a getogether on Stephens day, do I need to stay away to prevent my 12 week old from catching it?

Somebody mentioned to me that I will have passed on immunity as I am exclusively breastfeeding?

Will be really bummed if I have to stay away 😞

My 3 year old nephew has chicken pix at the moment. We are all having a getogether on Stephens day, do I need to stay away to prevent my 12 week old from catching it?

Somebody mentioned to me that I will have passed on immunity as I am exclusively breastfeeding?

You could ask your GP to clarify this, but chicken pox are only infectious for 5-6 days (I think) so by then it might not be an issue.
    As regards immunity, my friends baby got chickenpox when she was quite young, but got am extremely light dose, and the GP reckoned it was due to her inmunity from BF.
    Also... chickenpox is one of those things that I'd Love to get out of the way the earlier the better, if I were you, I'd enjoy Christmas with the rellies- what's to be will be!!

Feeling so much better about feeding him. It had come to the point where I dreaded it and was nearly in tears at the thought of feeding him as the pain was so bad. It had also become awkward as I was having to hold him in a very specific way in order to minimise the pain, then we'd struggle with each other as he wanted to take the minimum amount of nipple/breast in his mouth (I assume because his mouth was sore) while I wanted him to take as much as possible so he wasn't putting pressure on where I was sorest. Now I can feed him without pain and in whatever position I want. This morning I was able to feed him lying down for the first time in weeks. It was so nice to be able to relax while feeding him, I only got about 3 hours of sleep yet I feel so much more rested as I can feed easily and am not in pain.

That said the nipple shields are a faff and I'm looking forward to the infection clearing up and us being able to nurse normally again but in the meantime I'm just going to remember to be grateful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pushkii wrote: »
    implausible i can only imagine how emotional giving that last feed was and the end of the bm. fair play to you and dubstarr i just hope i can continue on as much as ye did. must honestly say i think these are the moments ill cherish forever.

Ah, I was a bit emotional for a wee while. I didn't get as far as dubstarr though - wee man got 7 months, she got 8 1/2. I got over pretty quickly though when I went bra-shopping during the week and am actually down a back-size - I feel quite perky;)
    ck83 wrote: »
    Also... chickenpox is one of those things that I'd Love to get out of the way the earlier the better, if I were you, I'd enjoy Christmas with the rellies- what's to be will be!!

I'd be in this boat too - some things are better to get out of the way!

• Advertisement

iguana it's great to hear that things are improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had this issue when my little girl was 16 weeks except she had already been exposed. Both my GP and PHN both said if she were to get chickenpox that young she would likely get a mild case as she would have some of my immunity but it was likely she would end up getting it a second time as she was probably too young to build up a lasting immunity to it.

I managed a night away last night... pumped and dumped 25 oz which was a sickener and she had formula for the whole day and was fine. She didn't sleep any better with it though my poor mum was still up at 1 and 5 with her! And considering she didn't go down until 1130 and was up at 7 she didnt get much sleep

cyning wrote: »

I had this issue when my little girl was 16 weeks except she had already been exposed. Both my GP and PHN both said if she were to get chickenpox that young she would likely get a mild case as she would have some of my immunity but it was likely she would end up getting it a second time as she was probably too young to build up a lasting immunity to it.

I managed a night away last night... pumped and dumped 25 oz which was a sickener and she had formula for the whole day and was fine. She didn't sleep any better with it though my poor mum was still up at 1 and 5 with her! And considering she didn't go down until 1130 and was up at 7 she didnt get much sleep

So when u have a night out and you pump and dump what's the procedure? When Do u start dumping? And when is it safe to let baby drink our milk again?

scrgirl I wouldn't dump breast milk unless I absolutely had to. I went away for one night when my son was 5 months and the hotel room had no fridge so I poured one pumping session (1am) down the sink.I pumped again at 8am and brought that home with me.

If I were doing it again or when I'm doing it again I'll check with the hotel to see if there's a fridge and if not I'll bring a cooler bag with ice packs.

You don't have to pour your breast milk down the sink because you've had a few drinks. Alcohol doesn't get into the milk. It's in your blood. I doubt you'll be ever so drunk for it to be a problem as the likelihood is you'll have fallen asleep from exhaustion at that stage.

scrgirl I wouldn't dump breast milk unless I absolutely had to. I went away for one night when my son was 5 months and the hotel room had no fridge so I poured one pumping session (1am) down the sink.I pumped again at 8am and brought that home with me.

If I were doing it again or when I'm doing it again I'll check with the hotel to see if there's a fridge and if not I'll bring a cooler bag with ice packs.

You don't have to pour your breast milk down the sink because you've had a few drinks. Alcohol doesn't get into the milk. It's in your blood. I doubt you'll be ever so drunk for it to be a problem as the likelihood is you'll have fallen asleep from exhaustion at that stage.
    Really? I heard one drink and then wait 2 hours to feed. I'm thinking of Xmas day, he will obviously be with me not getting fed by someone else (like if I was out for a night) in this case I couldn't drink wine and baileys as i pleased, I assumed I would have to give him expressed milk until the alcohol is gone out if my system. Then dump the feeds he misses?

Oh I wasn't drinking it was the lack of fridge for me! We left at 12 o clock so I had almost a full days pumping there was no way I could keep it :(

Scrgirl the advice would be to follow drink driving rules for nursing so if your safe to drive your safe to nurse. So you can have your glass of wine with your dinner and later in evening enjoy a baileys. That's the thing about Christmas day it's different than going out to pub where you would sit and have a few drinks in a row. Christmas day it's more about a drink here and there with tonnes of food so that would be fine with feeding.

I used to have a drink after I fed and usually he wouldn't need to be fed for an hour and a half to two hours later so it was well timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Or ask for a few ice-buckets. I kept the milk in the sink. The hotel must've thought meself and himself were having a romantic bottle of wine!:eek:

I have only ever dumped bm once or twice, usually hen nights at 2 in the morning, when I knew it was mostly alcohol!!!

• Advertisement

Ya the next time I'm definately getting a room with a fridge.

And bringing my breast pump :rolleyes: Had to go buy one because I forgot mine so bought a NUK manual one: ten times better than the Avent manual one and really good... and cheap.

I'm really looking forward to a drink or two Christmas Day!

Advertisement