Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

KGLady wrote: »
    I'm currently BFing my 12wk old, she's baby 3 so I'm a fair old hand at the BFng at this stage. I've had an unfortunate hitch of having my first period over the Christmas, and I think that in tandem with the general busy time of year leaving me tired, I've had a marked drop in milk supply which is also overlapping with a hungry growth spurt for herself. Poor baby has been feeding but when she's drained them both she was crying, latching on and off repeatedly and crying big wet tears when no more would come - absolutely heart wrenching for me.

We've supplemented her with the sparse stock of milk I had frozen and then had to use formula, and I'm now trying to do all I can now that the period is finished to be able to fully feed her myself again - so any tips would be great!

I have increased the time she stays on and have been shoving the boobs at her at every opportunity to get increased milk signals and its helping, I've also gone with porridge and green veg, I've even had a bottle of beer with my evening meal the last 2 nights which is immense help (genuinely don't have the time to buy brewers yeast and bake cookies etc with it atm so don't judge me too harshly for getting it the easier way!). Is there any other tips any of you found helpful for increasing supply when periods return?

Oh, last notes I'm also trying to sleep and rest more, keeping hydrated and taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement with Omega 3 & 6 too.
    @ kglady oh my god a beer helps supply ? Brilliant maybe that's why I'm craving a pint !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

skit490 wrote: »
    just wondering how many times a day does everyone's little ones nurse. Mine is 13 wks n still feels like every hr apart from wen she is napping. It's hard work.

my baby is 13 weeks aswell. I feed her about 8 times in a 2 hr period. I notice she is getting a lot faster to feed now. I thought she wasn't feeding enough until I realised I wasn't giving her enough credit for being much faster and more efficient now. I think I had it in my head that every feeding session was always going to take an hour! I do give her all the time she needs though so a session can be 15 minutes or an hour if she's sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

just wondering how many times a day does everyone's little ones nurse. Mine is 13 wks n still feels like every hr apart from wen she is napping. It's hard work.

Hard work doesnt even half describe it!!

at 13 weeks, once the 3 month growth spurt ends, this may change. Does she fall asleep at the boob? Is she satisfied? Does she only feed at one boob at a time. There's a few things that may mean she's not getting as much as she could. Nothing anyone is doing wrong, just stuff she hasnt discovered yet!

My man used to horse in the milk while my let down was fast then get peeved when it slowed then fall asleep, then roar when I went to move him as they realised they are still hungry. I got loads of advice about making sure baby was feeding effectively, but it was only when I saw him doing it at 4 months during the night that I realised when the posters meant. Typical.

Next time you feel really empty in a short space of time, try think what way did you do it. Was it lying down, were you really relaxed, baby nose buried in boob etc?

He still nursed from 7 till 11 pm every night, until he was about 6 months. But really he was tanking up for the night and I was nearly empty in both boobs for the night so him doing this was making sure I would have enough milk for him the next night.

Its only for a short time, my man is asleep in bed since 7 pm now at 11 months and I kinda miss having him lying on my tum! I really remember how hard it was at the time but Every week it does get easier.
    Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

kvicka wrote: »
    thx emer, must try this. right now i was only taking 2 or 3 a day. the package says one tablet a day. they are at 600mg. was ther any side effects on the baby like colic? dreading that as my lo seems to have colic.

I haven't noticed any side effects at all. Baby had no issues before I took them and none since. She did spit up a little bit more for a few days after my supply increased but I think it was just down to the greater volume.
    You might have read about the side effects for the mum though, body odour starts to smell of maple syrup....weird but true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

@ kglady oh my god a beer helps supply ? Brilliant maybe that's why I'm craving a pint !!!

Yeah it really does, though obviously we can't lash it in loads :D It was a midwife told me when I had my first, that if there was a time when I was tired and my body had a hard time keeping up to drink a bottle of beer one brewed with yeast, but to just do the one and at a main meal time. She said the amount of alcohol is minimal enough not to be a big concern. It has worked great for me though I know some mothers who are horrified at the idea of it, however I'll trust the midwife. She's also the one who tipped me about water and brown sugar for a constipated baby - good old fashioned simple advice, can't beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Hard work doesnt even half describe it!!

at 13 weeks, once the 3 month growth spurt ends, this may change. Does she fall asleep at the boob? Is she satisfied? Does she only feed at one boob at a time. There's a few things that may mean she's not getting as much as she could. Nothing anyone is doing wrong, just stuff she hasnt discovered yet!

My man used to horse in the milk while my let down was fast then get peeved when it slowed then fall asleep, then roar when I went to move him as they realised they are still hungry. I got loads of advice about making sure baby was feeding effectively, but it was only when I saw him doing it at 4 months during the night that I realised when the posters meant. Typical.

Next time you feel really empty in a short space of time, try think what way did you do it. Was it lying down, were you really relaxed, baby nose buried in boob etc?

He still nursed from 7 till 11 pm every night, until he was about 6 months. But really he was tanking up for the night and I was nearly empty in both boobs for the night so him doing this was making sure I would have enough milk for him the next night.

Its only for a short time, my man is asleep in bed since 7 pm now at 11 months and I kinda miss having him lying on my tum! I really remember how hard it was at the time but Every week it does get easier.
    Best of luck!!

Nearly always falls asleep at boob. N yes mostly only one boob n I know supposed to offer both but mostly think she gets enough. Does wake wanting more sometimes n offerother boob then. If I can hand express milk from boob she's fed on does that mean she got enough. Kinda thought to myself it did. She is strong healthy baby. Phn said she's doing great. Just thought she'd b feeding less often now.

I used to keep a wet towel beside me and when he was nodding I'd put the towel beside his ear and wake him up. I used to remove the legs of the baby gro, but as the house was cold, he'd freeze, but that may work too. I had a toddler at the same time so I had to make feeding time count. (Sounds so bad!)

If it really wasnt happening, I'd leave him down on his blanket on the floor when he would nod off, he'd be awake in a shot and I'd continue feeding.

I never got the hang of laid back b/feeding, as in baby parallel to you, like their legs either side of your left leg and their chest on your chest while feeding from the left boob. Its supposed to keep them more awake but my baby had no idea what to do!

Is there a breast feeding support meeting near you, they are great at this sort of thing, the lads just have one look as you feeding your baby and suggest the slightest thing that gives you your life back! Slight exaggeration. (Imagine an older man bottle feeding a baby with out lifting the end of the bottle, like that, they just spot issues straight away that are hard with you have no experience, like I had.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I used to keep a wet towel beside me and when he was nodding I'd put the towel beside his ear and wake him up. I used to remove the legs of the baby gro, but as the house was cold, he'd freeze, but that may work too. I had a toddler at the same time so I had to make feeding time count. (Sounds so bad!)

If it really wasnt happening, I'd leave him down on his blanket on the floor when he would nod off, he'd be awake in a shot and I'd continue feeding.
    )
    My little fella used to fall asleep before he had enough eaten, so a midwife advised me to tickle him under his chin, that would half wake him up and stimulate him to suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

does anyone know of a breast feeding support group around limerick clare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

kvicka have a look on this website for info on groups in your area

http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/2011/11/support-in-your-area/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

thx a mill. just think i may need some help. didnt find the maternity helped at all. they promote bf in all antenatal classes but when u have had ur baby and ask for help[ there s noone there to help...was a big disappointment.

kvicka that's exactly the problem. There's huge pressure to sign up to breastfeeding before the baby is born but then you're on your own, you get conflicting or worse anecdotal advise from the healthcare professionals and they coerce you into supplementing with formula at the first hint of a problem (which usually isn't a problem at all but just that we have no breastfeeding culture in this country).

I can recommend la Leche as a great recourse. Cuidiu is supposed to be great as well but they didn't have a group in my area. You can ring a LL leader at any time for advice or a chat for reassurance. They're highly qualified lactation consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

I'm Gona join in here - I'm brand new! I had my little girl 2 days ago and I'm sure il have a billion questions so just thought I'd say hi to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I think I was blessed and in a very small minority with how much support I got for breastfeeding: my phn was worth her weight in gold, as was the nurse from my doctors surgery. No way would I have kept breastfeeding without the support I got from both of them. They both go to The local bfeeding support group (no cuidiu or la leche in Listowel), and gave me so much help.

Just a quick question: I'm looking at weaning recipes and a lot of them say to use babies regular milk: do you use regular milk, formula or breast milk? For purées I use breast milk or water so not sure about sauces!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Hi cyning

I always just used breast milk or water but that was because my wee lad had never had formula but if you were already supplementing with formula that would be grand. Once they are on the veg and fruit purees they are normally watery enough without adding anything. A lot of the baby cereals you can use the cooled water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I used water and now he's older I sometimes use coconut milk to make his porridge or scrambled eggs etc. I never used the baby porridges just regular organic porridge oats.
    I got good support from midwives, phn was not so good but I had my mum who breastfeed all of us, my sister and had gone to LLL while pregnant.
    I think that's a major problem in Ireland affecting bfing rates, women go to their mothers, sisters and family for advice, they trust them the most and the majority of them have never breastfed. I know a lot of women do breastfeed even though its not normal for their family but I think there is a lot of women would don't succeed because its not normal in their family. It's a cycle that's hard to break. We need support from our grandmothers, mothers and sisters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Definitely agree about the lack of support after baby is born. I tried to contact the lactation consultant in my hospital and my phn when I was having difficulty, and never heard back from either of them. I was lucky that I had my mam and mil who had both breastfed, but without that support it would have been very hard. To be honest the best advice I've gotten from anywhere is this thread right here! :-) It really is invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

For purées and cereal I was adding water or the small amount of bmilk I was able to express, but moving onto pasta etc: ill try stick with water and see if I can express a bit: I'm only barely producing enough to keep her fed right now though so I might have to use formula!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

Hi all. Had to stop breastfeeding abruptly yesterday after 5 months for medical reasons. My son is refusing to drink from a bottle. Have tried different ones but no joy. He's on 3 puréed meals a day since Christmas so he's not starving. Having a small bit of success with 4mth+ sippy cup but worried he's not getting enough fluids. Also my breasts are mega painful. I'm expressing to relieve the pressure a tad. Also using chilled cabbage leaves. Any advice in how to help my wee man transition over to bottles? He didn't sleep much last night - nor did his parents. He was crying for his usual bedtime tipple. Help.

Hi lou76

Poor you and baby it's bound to be hard for both of you to stop so suddenly. My only real advice would be to get someone else feed him with the bottles as him smelling you might totally confuse him at the beginning. I used Nuk teats for one of mine when I was weaning as they are a bit more nipple shaped. If you are worried about his fluids maybe try putting a few ounces of your expressed milk in with his purees so at least he is getting some if he refuses the bottle. If he takes the sippy cup go with it and he will get some ounces from that. Hopefully in time he will get used to transition and take the bottle which will help him before bedtime.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Im feedinf pumping and substituting formula every 3 hrs for my 4 wk old and I still haven't managed to figure out how to get dressed before lunchtime or how to actually make time for lunch! I seem to be permanently feeding or pumping no time for anything else. I'd love to go to a breastfeeding support group but they are all on at 10am and honestly I cannot get organised in time. I've tried! Just as I was about to leave he wanted to feed so I was back on the sofa for another hour! When did ye get to meetings? How old was your baby?

Hi Scrgirl

Just want to reassure you that the first few weeks are always really tough for any new mum no matter what way you are feeding and it is normal to be still walking around in your tracksuit or Pjs at lunch time.

I just think you might be putting yourself under pressure with both pumping and feeding. Is there a reason you are pumping so much? This is a lot of work for you no wonder you have no time. You should be using the time between feeds to rest or eat.

You need to keep up your strength resting and eating plenty will all increase your supply running yourself into the ground is no good for anyone.

A few tips I use to sometimes have a long hot bath night before when my hubby was at home nice and relaxing and meant I wasn't as pressured in morning for a shower. Also try and cook things that last a few days maybe lasagne, casseroles, a curry ( if they don't annoy the baby)

I didn't actually didn't go to meetings as I live in a rural area so meetings were too far away for me and also with last baby I had 3 under 4 so babysitting would have been an issue.

Try not to worry you are doing great just take some time to rest it does get easier once they hit 6 weeks I promise !

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Srcgirl are you exclusively pumping or do you put baby on the breast at all? I think pumping is so time consuming that if you are doing it then give yourself a pat on the back and dont expect to leave the house or your PJ's for another few weeks yet.

I dunno if I could have pumped and fed in the early days, baby was almost constantly on the breast as it was, so it would have been a full time job with pumping on top of that too.

Unfortunately I'm under doctors orders to pump as baby was not gaining enough weight. So I have to pump at least 60mls every 3 hrs plus breast feed and if I don't get 60mls ebm substitute formula. Baby is gaining weight like nobodies business so it's working however my supply is still dodgy. Would love to just exclusively breast feed. I'm seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow so hopefully she will help me with my supply issue.

Well it's no wonder you are shattered fair play to you it is so difficult to do both I had to do it for a weekend away and it nearly killed me!

Well if babies starting to gain weight your are doing all the right things so well done you should be proud of yourself.

Good luck with lactation consultant they are experts so write down all your questions you need to ask because if your anything like me with baby brain you will forget all !!!!!!!

scrgirl that advice sounds quite strange to me. Telling someone that they have to express an exact quantity or else just goes against logic. Breastfeeding, breast milk supply and pumping doesn't work like that.

Pumping to a 3hr schedule is contrary to good breastfeeding advice. Supplementing with formula if you don't get 60 mls (why specifically 60 and not 50 or 65 or 70?) actually undermines all your hard work because the best way to get your supply up is to to feed your baby on demand. Getting into bed and having loads of skin to skin contact would be more beneficial to baby and you as it would encourage frequent feeding and you'd get some rest.

Supplementing with formula is probably reducing your supply and the milk supply isn't established until around 6 weeks.

A baby is far more effective at getting milk from the breast than any pump because the connection between you when feeding releases hormones which stimulate your let down.

How much weight did your baby lose? How quickly did he start putting it back on. Breastfed babies can take up to 21 days to regain their birth weight.

I really hope your ls ration consultant is more knowledgable about the process of breastfeeding because I think you've been given poor, conflicting advice so far.

Well done on keeping that regime up for 4 weeks because it sounds grueling. Breastfeeding isn't and doesn't have to be that much hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

scrgirl wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm under doctors orders to pump as baby was not gaining enough weight. So I have to pump at least 60mls every 3 hrs plus breast feed and if I don't get 60mls ebm substitute formula. Baby is gaining weight like nobodies business so it's working however my supply is still dodgy. Would love to just exclusively breast feed. I'm seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow so hopefully she will help me with my supply issue.

I was in exact same situation with my first, she dropped loads weight, wasnt feeding well and wasnt putting on quick enough. I fed, expressed and supplement for 6 weeks. I am not from here so I had no family around, but if you can ask people for help, dont feel you have to do it all. In the first couple weeks, everytime I had a minute I would do washing, or cook, etc. Only to find myself completely drained and low and depressed.

I then told myself that the only thing I should worry about is that the baby was eating and sleeping and that I was eating and sleeping. Some days I didnt take a shower, some days I never got out of my pj's, some days I was still in bed by midday, and believe me it saved us!!

Find support that will visit you at home maybe. I went a couple of times to support group (they were at 1pm thankfully) but to be honnest, it was so rocky for me, and most people there were doing just fine and were just meeting up for a chat, it wasnt for me at that time cause it only put me under more pressure, I was wondering why it wasnt working for me! Then I phoned the local La leche leaders, they were great support even on the phone.

By 6 weeks, my daughter had been on a good weight gain for a while and was strong so I was able to go cold turkey with the bottles and in 3 days she was feeding at the breast like a pro. I went on feeding her for 9 months and although I still see those first 6 weeks like the hardest time of my life, I am so pleased I didnt give up!

Rest, eat, sleep and feed and cuddle the baby is the best advice I can give!

I was in exact same situation with my first, she dropped loads weight, wasnt feeding well and wasnt putting on quick enough. I fed, expressed and supplement for 6 weeks. I am not from here so I had no family around, but if you can ask people for help, dont feel you have to do it all. In the first couple weeks, everytime I had a minute I would do washing, or cook, etc. Only to find myself completely drained and low and depressed.

I then told myself that the only thing I should worry about is that the baby was eating and sleeping and that I was eating and sleeping. Some days I didnt take a shower, some days I never got out of my pj's, some days I was still in bed by midday, and believe me it saved us!!

Find support that will visit you at home maybe. I went a couple of times to support group (they were at 1pm thankfully) but to be honnest, it was so rocky for me, and most people there were doing just fine and were just meeting up for a chat, it wasnt for me at that time cause it only put me under more pressure, I was wondering why it wasnt working for me! Then I phoned the local La leche leaders, they were great support even on the phone.

By 6 weeks, my daughter had been on a good weight gain for a while and was strong so I was able to go cold turkey with the bottles and in 3 days she was feeding at the breast like a pro. I went on feeding her for 9 months and although I still see those first 6 weeks like the hardest time of my life, I am so pleased I didnt give up!

That is so reassuring to hear. My baby has only been on the regiem a week and had already gained lots of weight hopefully if that continues we can go cold turkey like u did sooner than later. This plan makes no sense to me as giving him formula only decreases his demand for my milk. I'm meeting a lactation consultant tomorrow and hopefully she will give me more milk friendly and sanity friendly plan!

I agree with u this regiem goes against all my instincts and any advice I'd been given. However the staying in bed feefing on demand etc had not been working as baby was distressed, so I was willing to try anything. This way is hopefully very short term. At least for now baby is happy and gaining weight. It's not ideal but will do for now.

• Advertisement

I think the issue may have been that baby hasnt learned how to make use of your let down. Hopefully the lactation consultant will assess both of your techniques and get you both on the right road. Usually they encourage you to ring them if it all falls apart again, dont be afraid to do this, you've paid for the service!

Best of luck!

Advertisement