Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Mine only returned when I stopped Breastfeeding, but did straight away then.

Mine came back as soon as I started him on the tiniest bit of solids at 5-ish mths (maybe just coincidence as amounts were tiny and no reduction in bf), but the first month or two I didn't ovulate (did tests to check). Managed to get preg again when he was 9.5 mths and finally stopped the middle of the night feed. Never took to the bottle so I couldn't do what you see recommended and leave a 12 hr gap until he did it of his own accord; the waiting was v frustrating as I knew exactly what the problem was, but could do nothing about it! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Mine came back at just over six months on the day I went back to work :S
    I guess it was because he'd started stretching a lot between feeds during the day. We were still feeding 2-3 times at night.

I consciously started trying to get pregnant in the following January and I don't think I was ovulating from September to March. My body temperature was all over the place and I wasn't getting a positive on the opks. My cycles were very short and erratic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Mine came back at about 15 months, and I was still breastfeeding on demand, including at night. I took Floradix iron supplement, and it came within a month. Got pregnant after 2 cycles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

On both babas, mine came back within a month of me stopping breastfeeding completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help with the BF. My baby is 7 weeks today and we are doing great on the BF in general. She is my 3rd and I BF them all for at least 5-6 months.
    One issue I have is with wind, and I had the same issues with my other 2 but never got to the bottom of it tbh. About half the time I have the easiest baby in the world, the other half the poor little mite is in pain. Scrunching up her legs, screaming her head off, generally really uncomfortable.
    Right now, I am giving infacol, spending as much time after each feed trying to get wind up, and giving as much time on her back prior to trying to get wind up etc.

Any idea's of what else to do? Today she has been a dream baby, but at about 6 tonight she will probably go into orbit and will be very distressed for about 3 hours. She also will have the odd day where she will be distressed all day. They are tough days. lots of latching on and off and screaming in between.

I don't know of any difference diet wise for myself on the good days v the bad days. I've thought about it but nothing is jumping about at me. My diet is very ordinary. Not really getting an excess of anything.

Anyway, looking for ideas on this windy issue from you guys, hoping you can help me out or let me know anything that worked for you in the past.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

CeNedra congrats on your little girl. Do you have an oversupply and/or fast letdown? Could you try feeding lying down or perhaps let the initial spray of milk go into a towel so ages not getting the full force of the letdown. Other than that I found gripe water fantastic although apparently you can give cooled fennel tea directly on a spoon even at 7 weeks and it helps too.

We had exactly the same problem with my son. We also did the rugby hold where baby is lying with his stomach on your arm. Your arm runs the length of her body and catches under the nappy. You walk around like this moving her from left to right. Somehow it works and gives relief from wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Could also try bicycling of legs whilst they lying down? That and the rugby hold how strange described helped my little one a bit - but to be honest time was the only full healer - it's like their tummies are just sensitive? I also found peppers - sweet ones, onions, cauliflower all to be lethal! For a day to 2 days after! And chocolate :(
    Congrats and well done on the breast feeding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Not sure if this question should be here or in the weaning thread but I've been posting here for a while so here goes.

I set myself a goal to breastfeed for 6 months and with 4 1/2 months done I'm now thinking about what happens next. If it was just a matter of introducing formula I wouldn't be too confused but it's introducing solids at the same time that is confusing me, I've no idea where to start! Is it a bad idea to start formula and solids at the same time, is it too much for baby? Or am I overthinking it? She has just started to show an interest in watching me eating and is sitting up in a high chair so I feel she'll be ready for solids next month.

Thankfully we've had no issues with colic/wind/constipation so that's why I'm a bit anxious about upsetting our little routine.

Any advice or good resources that I can check out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

emer_b wrote: »
    Not sure if this question should be here or in the weaning thread but I've been posting here for a while so here goes.

I set myself a goal to breastfeed for 6 months and with 4 1/2 months done I'm now thinking about what happens next. If it was just a matter of introducing formula I wouldn't be too confused but it's introducing solids at the same time that is confusing me, I've no idea where to start! Is it a bad idea to start formula and solids at the same time, is it too much for baby? Or am I overthinking it? She has just started to show an interest in watching me eating and is sitting up in a high chair so I feel she'll be ready for solids next month.

Thankfully we've had no issues with colic/wind/constipation so that's why I'm a bit anxious about upsetting our little routine.

Any advice or good resources that I can check out?
    I started solids at the same time as I introduced one evening bottle of formula, and I'd be slow to do it again... Constipation was a big issue. Like you, we'd had no problems with colic/constipation prior to that. That said, once I introduced one bottle of formula, baby started to self wean a lot quicker than I'd have intended, so that didn't help.
    Id be wary of types of foods... Wholegrains, fruit pureees, diluted juice, avoid bananas etc etc...
    Annabel karmel has a great weaning book, lots of recipes, for a well varied diet!

If it was just a matter of introducing formula I wouldn't be too confused but it's introducing solids at the same time that is confusing me, I've no idea where to start! Is it a bad idea to start formula and solids at the same time, is it too much for baby? Or am I overthinking it? She has just started to show an interest in watching me eating and is sitting up in a high chair so I feel she'll be ready for solids next month.

I'd go with the solids first. You'll find that when baba starts getting some grub, she'll need the boob less, or at least take it at more regular times. My own experience was that once I got them taking some solids, they were more amenable to the idea of a bottle, especially in the middle of the day. My wee woman would take a sip of her bottle/cup to wash down the grub, despite showing no interest at any other time!

• Advertisement

I'd also go with solids first but try hold out until 5.5 months just to make sure you've got fewer problems with constipation etc. They tend to need a lot less breastfeeds in the 5th month. My son stretched to 6-7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I would go along with what other posters said and not do it quite at same time, its a lot for the little guts to get used to. This said, you will probably want to wean from the breast as gradually as possible so if its really that you want to stop by 6 months, you will want to start in the next few weeks.
    As said before too, only a few weeks into introducing solids and the pattern of feeding changes a lot and becomes very easy, so if you are still open to the option of going for longer then do the solids and see how you go.
    Keep in mind also that the 6mth+ formula have more iron, so can cause more constipation, so again, if he has got used to foods a little bit before it might make it easier. My little boy, even with just one bottle per day took about 3 weeks to adjust to it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, I'd agree to introduce solids first. I also introduced a sippy cup of water. It took a few days for baby to figure it out but I offer sips with his meals and he has the hang of it now, and if his stools are a little harder he gets more water mixed in with this mash and veggies and I increase the fruit in his porridge or rice and it seems to do the trick.

When I brought in solids, the feeds did decrease drastically - 7.30 am (big drink) breakfast between 8 and 8.30. Small BF at 11 ish, Lunch at 1, another small BF between lunch and tea time rice. Then his bedtime bottle at 7.30 is formula (200ml carton of aptimal) but I gave that from about 3.5 months anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Neyite wrote: »
    Yep, I'd agree to introduce solids first. I also introduced a sippy cup of water. It took a few days for baby to figure it out but I offer sips with his meals and he has the hang of it now, and if his stools are a little harder he gets more water mixed in with this mash and veggies and I increase the fruit in his porridge or rice and it seems to do the trick.

When I brought in solids, the feeds did decrease drastically - 7.30 am (big drink) breakfast between 8 and 8.30. Small BF at 11 ish, Lunch at 1, another small BF between lunch and tea time rice. Then his bedtime bottle at 7.30 is formula (200ml carton of aptimal) but I gave that from about 3.5 months anyway.

A bit off topic but how old was your baby when you introduced the sippy cup? Mine doesn't seem to get the hang of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

lounakin wrote: »
    A bit off topic but how old was your baby when you introduced the sippy cup? Mine doesn't seem to get the hang of it...

About the sippy cup Lounakin, my daughter took it from 4mths old and mastered it in no time, and my son at 8 mths still cant really figure it out. I think in a couple of months I'll just swap the bottle for the sippy and he should get the message I hope :p

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lounakin wrote: »

He was just on six months, but I'd say it was a month of perseverance with the cup at every meal before he took any from it worth considering. I had one of the tommee tippee first sips cup but it only confused him more, and he didnt know to suck out of it to get the water. So I got the more freeflowing one that would drip into his mouth. That worked better, but he still would only take the odd sip. So water got added to his dinners. :D

I continued to offer it every few spoons. and he now likes to hold onto it and likes to take decent drinks from it so now I need to get him a non-drip one now so he can drink at his leisure in between meals and I don't have to worry about him soaking himself in the process.

The other thing I found that I initially tried diluted baby fruit juice to try and entice him to use the cup, but he refused it, but on the day there was only water, he drank it, which I'm glad of as I didn't want him to get the taste for anything other than milk or water.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

we have been using the open cups with our little one since about 5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. Sorry it has taken me a while to respond.
    What exactly is meant by self weaning? Does the baby just want to feed less?
    At the moment I'm just feeding 6 times per day (bedtime feed, 5/6am ish, 9am morning feed and then 3 feeds during the day after 3 short naps).

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. Sorry it has taken me a while to respond.
    What exactly is meant by self weaning? Does the baby just want to feed less?
    At the moment I'm just feeding 6 times per day (bedtime feed, 5/6am ish, 9am morning feed and then 3 feeds during the day after 3 short naps).

To me, it's that they just start to show less interest in the boob and more in other food or a cup. They're also taking more interest in the world around them and don't want to miss out by breastfeeding too much. They begin to take less breastmilk and become more efficient at getting the amount they do need. That's my (long-winded) definition anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Talking about drinking and such, my little fella is down to two very short breastfeeds a day. My problem is that he doesn't like water from the sippy cup or the bottle. He is getting a bit dehydrated and his poos are getting quite hard. Does anyone have any tips to get him to want to drink the water? He's nearly a year old, could I try him on cows milk? Should water be tepid or cool?

I don't really know what to do, I can't force the water down him :(

• Advertisement

Talking about drinking and such, my little fella is down to two very short breastfeeds a day. My problem is that he doesn't like water from the sippy cup or the bottle. He is getting a bit dehydrated and his poos are getting quite hard. Does anyone have any tips to get him to want to drink the water? He's nearly a year old, could I try him on cows milk? Should water be tepid or cool?

I had a similar problem. Switched to flavoured water... He loves it. Might not be ideal, but it's better than nothing!

Cow's milk would be grand at this stage. You could add water to it if he's still dehydrated. Fruit is another good way of getting water into him. My little woman is no good for drinking throughout the day, she'll only take the sippy cup at mealtimes, so that's when she gets it. She was constipated yesterday, I gave her stewed apple with water and a splash of proper orange juice added to it. Let's just say that an empty nappy is no longer the problem!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

CeNedra wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of help with the BF. My baby is 7 weeks today and we are doing great on the BF in general. She is my 3rd and I BF them all for at least 5-6 months.
    One issue I have is with wind, and I had the same issues with my other 2 but never got to the bottom of it tbh. About half the time I have the easiest baby in the world, the other half the poor little mite is in pain. Scrunching up her legs, screaming her head off, generally really uncomfortable.
    Right now, I am giving infacol, spending as much time after each feed trying to get wind up, and giving as much time on her back prior to trying to get wind up etc.

Any idea's of what else to do? Today she has been a dream baby, but at about 6 tonight she will probably go into orbit and will be very distressed for about 3 hours. She also will have the odd day where she will be distressed all day. They are tough days. lots of latching on and off and screaming in between.

I don't know of any difference diet wise for myself on the good days v the bad days. I've thought about it but nothing is jumping about at me. My diet is very ordinary. Not really getting an excess of anything.

Anyway, looking for ideas on this windy issue from you guys, hoping you can help me out or let me know anything that worked for you in the past.

Thanks!
    I know this was only last week but have you tried anything else since CeNedra? We've a 1 month old baby girl who is having the same difficulties. Find the infacol is helping a little but not hugely really. Can be tough seeing her in pain! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Lounakin- We started my daughter on the cup at 4.5 months. To be honest for the first 2 weeks or so most of it ended up on the bib, but just persevere with it and they will eventually get the hang of it. After 3-4 weeks she was so much better with it, and now at 6 months she has no problem with it. I do remember feeling so exasperated thinking she is NEVER going to get the hang of this, but they do get there eventually :)

On another topic - Does anyone here have any experience with reverse cycling? My daughter is 6 months and she has been doing this since I went back to college a few weeks ago. I nurse her in the morning before I go and then through the evening when I'm home. She takes her solid food during the day while I'm gone and then milk from a cup. She takes just enough to wash down the solids, maybe 100-120ml all day while I'm gone and then waits til I'm home to make up for it. The only problem is she's waking at least 3 times at night to feed now, sometimes up to 6 times. She woke SEVEN times last night :( I'm absolutely shattered, I can barely function during the day now. Does anyone have any advice? Really struggling to cope with this as she had been pretty much sleeping through the night from 8 weeks. She was never this bad even as a newborn!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've read that it's not uncommon for babies to start waking a lot at nights to feed after their mother's return to work. It's their way of being with you as much as they can.

My little boy went through a stint of that at around the six month mark. Like that, he'd been sleeping great- 8 or nine hours, and then was waking every three hours at least. It was WAY before I went back to work too, so it wasn't that that caused it. At first I thought- "he must be hungry, so I must feed him", but then after a while (a good while, and I was wrecked, all the time!) I realised that he was on solids, and having plenty during the day, so he couldn't be that hungry... Also, he wasn't feeding much when he woke, so it seemed to be all habit. I tackled it - some people might not agree, but this is what I did...
    He was going down at ten, and waking at one, four and seven. The first night when he woke at one, I offered him water and Only water. He cried for a few min (not long), and I walked the floor with him until he stopped. When he did. I put him down, and he went to sleep. Woke at four- same story.
    The second night, he only woke at four. The third night slept til six, as far as I remember...
    I'd only try this when you Know for sure intake during the day is adequate.

As iguana said, quite normal for some babies to wake a lot at night when mums go back to work. It's their way of getting their special time with you as they miss you during the day. It usually sorts itself out within a 2-3 weeks. Feeding on demand will help as it'll reassure her that you're still close by.

Preparing 2 breastfeed my second in a few months - first time I got stuck using shields - couldn't get them off her! Is there anything I can do this time around to avoid using them - unthinking just demand a lot more attention from the midwives in the hosp to get the latch right - I feel like the shields were an easy solution for them last time and I knew no better! This time I'm lucky enough to be private so I might have more time with a midwife this time. Last time the lactation consultant only came on day 4 after asking twice a day every day for help :(
    The midwife told me my nipples are too small..... In retrospect that's so ridiculous!! They aren't even abnormally small!!!! Not that that would mAtter regardless!!

Also does milk come in quicker second time round?
    No leaking yet (28 weeks) but they starting to get the look of milk about them - as if I could hand express if I really tried - which obviously I'm not!

Also wondering how I'm going to explain breastfeeding to my then 14 month old - I can imagine she will get incredibly jealous or confused as to why she's not getting held for so long etc? Lots of cuddles would help I imagine and lots of just me and her time when possible!

I'm really looking forward to breast feeding again - it was so lovely last time - hard but lovely :) I hope to last a little longer this time if possible too - I gave up at 14 weeks last time cos I got a bit claustrophobic ... Felt I had no freedom at all .... I think I should have persevered as it would have gotten easier , but the shields really put me off!!

dublinlady sometimes lactation consultants will recommend shields of your nipples are very sore and there's a latch problem but I think the key is to get expert help quickly. However every woman can breastfeed her baby, except in very rare circumstances, and no womans nipples are too inverted, big, small, brown, yellow or whatever to breastfeed. I was told when I was pregnant on my son that I'd find breastfeeding very difficult because I was pale skinned!

I'd really recommend making contact Roth your local Cuidiu or la Leche league around 34-35 weeks, go to one of their meetings which are usually held once a month hence why I suggest contacting them so early.

Then get a leaders mobile number and phone them from the hospital if necessary for advice if you get off to a rocky start. The hospital staff are too overworked and under resourced to rely on them for support. You need to build your own network.

Try to get the baby on the breast as soon as possible after giving birth. It may not be so easy if you've had a section although it's probably easier if it's an elective section. Do skin to skin as soon as possible, put the baby on your cheat and let her crawl up to your nipple. She will smell you and your aerola so she'll find her way.

Remember a baby isn't actually hungry for 3-4 days which is when your milk comes in so the feeding is about comfort, connecting with you and getting the colostrum.

If you'd prefer your baby not to have any formula or you to be offered it then stipulate that very clearly on your hospital chart. The best of intentions go by the wayside when mum is exhausted, at her wits end and a well intentioned midwife offers you a bottle of formula or offers to take the baby off you for a rest and give formula.

Feed lying down as much as possible so you rest and you both snuggle between feeds.

I think the better the start the easier it is during those first tough weeks as you're more confident about it.

As for your little one getting jealous; I got some books on amazon recently and one of them is called bring new baby home or something like that. I didn't realise at the time but there's lots of pictures of the mother breastfeeding the baby. Perhaps some stories like that may normalise it for your daughter.

Other mums recommend having games, stories etc close by so your daughter can sit beside you while you feed and you can play or read to her.

We have it all ahead of us!

• Advertisement

dublinlady sometimes lactation consultants will recommend shields of your nipples are very sore and there's a latch problem but I think the key is to get expert help quickly. However every woman can breastfeed her baby, except in very rare circumstances, and no womans nipples are too inverted, big, small, brown, yellow or whatever to breastfeed. I was told when I was pregnant on my son that I'd find breastfeeding very difficult because I was pale skinned!

I'd really recommend making contact Roth your local Cuidiu or la Leche league around 34-35 weeks, go to one of their meetings which are usually held once a month hence why I suggest contacting them so early.

Then get a leaders mobile number and phone them from the hospital if necessary for advice if you get off to a rocky start. The hospital staff are too overworked and under resourced to rely on them for support. You need to build your own network.

Try to get the baby on the breast as soon as possible after giving birth. It may not be so easy if you've had a section although it's probably easier if it's an elective section. Do skin to skin as soon as possible, put the baby on your cheat and let her crawl up to your nipple. She will smell you and your aerola so she'll find her way.

Remember a baby isn't actually hungry for 3-4 days which is when your milk comes in so the feeding is about comfort, connecting with you and getting the colostrum.

If you'd prefer your baby not to have any formula or you to be offered it then stipulate that very clearly on your hospital chart. The best of intentions go by the wayside when mum is exhausted, at her wits end and a well intentioned midwife offers you a bottle of formula or offers to take the baby off you for a rest and give formula.

Feed lying down as much as possible so you rest and you both snuggle between feeds.

I think the better the start the easier it is during those first tough weeks as you're more confident about it.

As for your little one getting jealous; I got some books on amazon recently and one of them is called bring new baby home or something like that. I didn't realise at the time but there's lots of pictures of the mother breastfeeding the baby. Perhaps some stories like that may normalise it for your daughter.

Other mums recommend having games, stories etc close by so your daughter can sit beside you while you feed and you can play or read to her.

We have it all ahead of us!

Thanks so much for that how strange - it's so helpful! A lot to bring forward with me :)

I can imagine ill be back on here in 12 weeks!!!

For now I'm off to amazon! :)

P.s hope ur feeling ok? Only 11 weeks left for u now!!! Almost at the countdown!!

Advertisement