Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My god it gets so much easier Nead21, once you hit 6 weeks it's so much easier & every month gets better & better (bar growth spurts), hence how I surpassed my 6 month & 12 month goals & am still going strong at 19.5months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I did not leak at all (very lucky in over 3 combined yrs of bf ) but my sis did and she used the disposable sheets for under her sheet on the bed, as she was very bad at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 june17

Hi. My 13 week old son feeds 5 times a day. But for the last two nights he has gotten distressed when I try to feed him for the last two feeds. It usually takes 45 mins to an hour to feed him and then I might have to top hi up with a bottle too. But for the last 2 nights he only drank for 15mins approx. and the my husband gave him the bottle 3- 5 ozs (formula). This morning he drank at 6am foe 15 mins and didn't wasn't any bottle. Then he drank at 10 for 15 mins. I didn't offer him the bottle this time and now he's asleep. Is this normal? He's really using his dodi a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

my baby is 16 weeks and I have been gradually weaning from breast to bottle for the last 3 weeks. I last fed him on Tues night and haven't breast fed him since. I am in agony and my boobs are getting progressively sorer and getting more painful. My boobs are hard and lumpy and I've tried massaging but its very painful. I went to GP this morning and got difene, antibiotics and he told me to pump however I'm not sure if I should be pumping at this stage. Any advice gratefully received as I'm so sore and tender at this stage I can't hold the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

NBO it sounds like you've got blocked ducts. Do you have a fever and flu like symptoms too? If so you definitely need to take the antibiotics.

I'd recommend you get into a very hot bath, immerse your breasts in the water and massage them until the milk is flowing freely. It will be sore but you'll have to persevere. It's really important that you unblock the ducts. You may need to have a few baths over the next couple of days if the lumps don't clear straight away or if they come back.

Pumping alone won't clear the blocked ducts. I'd recommend that you hand express a little everyday just to keep them from getting engorged. Pumping will only keep your supply up which you don't want as you're stopping feeding. Also a baby is far more effective than a pump at clearing the breast so if you're going to do anything I'd suggest letting the baby feed from the breast for once or twice a day and then reduce it to once a day, once every second day etc for the next week or ten days and still hand express a little in between feeds to prevent engorgement.

I hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

june17 wrote: »
    Hi. My 13 week old son feeds 5 times a day. But for the last two nights he has gotten distressed when I try to feed him for the last two feeds. It usually takes 45 mins to an hour to feed him and then I might have to top hi up with a bottle too. But for the last 2 nights he only drank for 15mins approx. and the my husband gave him the bottle 3- 5 ozs (formula). This morning he drank at 6am foe 15 mins and didn't wasn't any bottle. Then he drank at 10 for 15 mins. I didn't offer him the bottle this time and now he's asleep. Is this normal? He's really using his dodi a lot too.

I could honestly have written this post when C was that age. Soon after she got super efficient at feeding. It's possibly just a growth spurt so he's probably feeding just to increase your supply :) C took to using her dodo like mad through all her mammoth feeding sessions. It should calm down in a day or so.

My almost 11 month is very anaemic so nurse in hosp told me formula had loads of iron :( I'm in slow process of weaning her as it is but am so sick of that sort of "it's breastfeeding attitude." Just uch. I do understand what she's saying, but just feel so bad as it is. I think the iron in breast milk is easier absorbed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

NBO wrote: »
    my baby is 16 weeks and I have been gradually weaning from breast to bottle for the last 3 weeks. I last fed him on Tues night and haven't breast fed him since. I am in agony and my boobs are getting progressively sorer and getting more painful. My boobs are hard and lumpy and I've tried massaging but its very painful. I went to GP this morning and got difene, antibiotics and he told me to pump however I'm not sure if I should be pumping at this stage. Any advice gratefully received as I'm so sore and tender at this stage I can't hold the baby.

I would recommend hand expressing or pumping a tiny bit - but just enough to ease the pain - and only for a day or two! I did this and it helped reduce my supply over a few days before stopping completely. Have to say though I still found it sore stopping totally! Was the same as you described! But I used ice packs to ease the pain a bit & then it passed after about 4-5 days!

My little one woke for a feed at 2.30am - for once she was in the Moses basket & not my bed - I lifted her into the bed & started to feed her - I woke up at 4 still half sitting with her asleep on my chest.... Made me worry about what could have happened if she had fallen off me :( I'm just a bit exhausted ( in a good way from just running after the 2 of them) and must have drifted off. I hope mothers instinct would have alerted me if she moved at all, in fact maybe that's why I woke! Anyone else ever have this prob?

DL this is how we sleep every night :0
    I honestly don't think that a mother who is sober (no drink, drugs etc) would let her baby fall off her. The instinct is so strong that I wake up as soon as she starts mooching so she doesn't even wake or cry for a feed during the night. I also think we're only half asleep which is probably why we're so exhausted.

I just can't be bothered trying to stay awake until she finished her feed and then try to settle her in the basket. I find this way we get the most sleep we can expect to get.

I half recline and prop the arm holding her up with a pillow and when she's latched on I scootch down a bit so I'm lying down and so is she. If I wake up after a feed now I've started putting her lying down beside me on top of the quilt and we snuggle together.

In another few weeks I'll set up the arms reach side car cot and start her off in it but I'm sure she'll end up in the bed in the wee hours.

I tried feeding lying down which is great for sleep but my left boob was sore yesterday which is usually the first sign of blocked ducts or her not draining the breast so leading to mastitis so I've gone back to holding her and feeding in the cradle hold position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I fall asleep all thr time during a night feed. Lately ive justed accepted that he rarely settles back into the basket afterwards so i feed him lying down with him beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

How Strange, re positioning and getting sore, I find that the odd feed in the cradle/ rugby/ lying down position is fine, but the only way I am consistently not sore is in the position described in the What to Expect when You're Breastfeeding book. You sit, put two pillows on your lap, lay the baby across, point your nipple (supported by your hand at first, then by pillow) towards the centre of the pillow/ nose of the baby, and feed that way. I don't know why but this is the only way that I am never sore at all consistently. HTH.

Well now she won't even settle in my bed :( I'm losing the plot... I got her down by 11, she woke at 12.40. Fed her for 2 hrs . She's still crying another hr later. Doesn't want food, seems in pain from wind I can't get up :( it's almost 4am. No sign of her settling. My toddler wakes at 6. This is the third night of this. I'm exhausted :(

Thanks holding I'll take a look at the book and try that position.

DL, is she 3 weeks? Could be a growth spurt. I know it's my catch all excuse for everything but they get very fussy when going through one.

A spewed all over me this morning while we lay in bed together. Oh the glamour of parenthood.

Thanks holding I'll take a look at the book and try that position.

DL, is she 3 weeks? Could be a growth spurt. I know it's my catch all excuse for everything but they get very fussy when going through one.

A spewed all over me this morning while we lay in bed together. Oh the glamour of parenthood.

I'm not sure because she's fine all day ? It's just night that's the problem!

A had really terrible wind over the last couple of days too and I've noticed she can be awake grunting from around 3-4am until 6-7 too. She seemed much more content this morning once she spewed and did a huge dirty nappy.

Btw a friend recommended the tummy tub as a bath because she said its great for wind and colic. I think I'm going to get one even if my husband thinks they're just an overpriced bucket.

Having a huge wind problem here too. Last week was fairly nightmarish with constant crying feeding and then more crying from wind. Exhausted too and feel likw im loosing the plot. Im hoping its all just tied into the 6week growth spurt.

"helpful" comments from family members suggesting bottles are not helpful Grrr

Yeah those comments are very annoying even if they're well intentioned.

Sorry everyone having a crap time of it! :(
    It's so hard at the start - in just 15 months I had forgotten.
    I think I need to get S into a routine.... I think it's a bit of everything! Wind mostly tho :( might try the overpriced bucket :) anything for peace!

Oh Dublinlady really feel for you. You will get through it, of course you will :)

• Advertisement

At this stage, managing the older one and the baby is so tenuous that some thing like a cranky windy baby can send everything in to a tail spin.

That's when you need to keep saying 'it's only a phase.....'

She's been so good afternoon I feel bad for whining... But no doubt will again soon..! I was thinking about it this eve - I ate chocolate yesterday eve - it never mattered for A but I'm sure I read its bad fir causing tummy trouble. All the other stuff like onions broccoli used to affect A but never chocolate so my guard was down... Have tried to give her more awake time today also cos think was rushing her back to sleep yesterday so I could sort out her older sis! Fingers crossed for tonight anyway! Himself is giving an expressed bottle later so I can get some sleep cos he's working Tom so I need all my energy!

I think we're going through the 6 week growth spurt :S

She's 5.5 weeks but 6 weeks corrected age as she was 4 days overdue. She fed a lot on Monday, was fine yesterday but fed every 1-1.5 hours last night and the same all day today. I'm empty and she's still hungry! She's calm enough so if this is as bad as it gets I won't complain. O screamed hysterically during his 6 week growth spurt.

I think we're going through the 6 week growth spurt :S

She's 5.5 weeks but 6 weeks corrected age as she was 4 days overdue. She fed a lot on Monday, was fine yesterday but fed every 1-1.5 hours last night and the same all day today. I'm empty and she's still hungry! She's calm enough so if this is as bad as it gets I won't complain. O screamed hysterically during his 6 week growth spurt.

God that's hard going! Hope ur getting some sleep? Do growth spurts go off corrected age? As in S is just 3 weeks yest, but was 12 days overdue so 5 weeks corrected - would she go thru the growth spurts early?
    The PHN accused me of giving her formula today even tho its firstly not really her business if I did and secondly I had just told her she's exclusively breast fed! She put on 300g this week which is supposedly too much... Have u ever heard such horsesh&t?!?! Last week they said she hadn't gained enough! Where did they find her?! Poor baba is only half a pound over birth weight and not exactly rolling in fat!! Ejit!
    I can't believe they way she said I must be formula feeding her... Can't do right for doing wrong! Next week she'll be telling me she's too light!

Good luck in this growth spurt How Strange. Just remember 'this too shall pass'! I can't imagine going through a growth spurt with a toddler that needs to be taken care of too.

Dublin Lady that's insane, your PHN sounds crazy. I have 2 in my health centre- one is lovely, the other is really old and old school and crabby, she comes out with the strangest things too!

Girls does anyone have any tips on feeding out and about. We have conquered feeding at home by using pillows for support, but obviously I don't have access to these while out and about, nor even an armrest sometimes. I try to sort of cradle hold him, with my hand under his head for support, but he's clearly uncomfortable, and comes off and on continuously for the whole feed. It's frustrating for us both, and I don't think he gets enough milk at these out and about feedings. Any tips would be great. He is 8 weeks, so still needs head supporting. My back kills me from bending over to accomodate him, or else my arm goes dead from holding him up to reach the breast!

Wow DL, maybe next week S will be just right if you follow the goldilocks theory. 1 week to small, next week too big, the following week just right :)

A has put on so much weight since she was born. I can't imagine what your phn would say about that. She'd probably accuse me of giving her meat and potatoes for dinner or something!

Yes, as far as I know, the growth spurts happen at the corrected age. I looked back to O's yesterday. He had his at 7 weeks but he was 5 days early so was still ) weeks. So brace yourself!

She actually slept from 9.30 until now but she hasn't slept all day so she must be exhausted. I fell asleep feeding her and my husband woke me up. Hopefully it'll be over in a day or so.

Sorry holding I've no advice re the feeding out and about. A is now too heavy for the proper cradle hold so I half do it and she has to reach up a bit herself.

DL your PHN sounds crazy. Once your babys chart is showing continuous growth there should be no issue. Obviously every baby is different and they can gain more weight one week than others.

E is 7weeks as of yesterday and is still having his 6week growth spurt. He was 5days early. Ive told him his time is up!!

Holding i just use cradle hold when out but hes kind half sitting half lying if that makes any sense. Im still trying to master the whole muslin cloth/blanket to cover any exposed bits although he has started to pull it down during the feed..Eek!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Holding I used a blanket folded in half and rolled up as a support for the baby which helped a bit.

I used to place the inside arm around my torso and kind of face him in slightly. His ear would be resting on the inside of my elbow and he seemed comfy enough.

If you sit cross legged like you would if you we're sitting on a yoga mat you can balance your elbow on your knee/ leg to help you hold his weight.

The local cuidu or la leche might be able to give you tips too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million ladies. Neyite will try that out, your description is good and detailed :)

Advertisement