Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ri_ra

Spinach wrote: »
    Hi ladies. My baby is one week old today :) So glad this thread is here!
    Feeding is going pretty well, after some sore nipples in the first few days, they have got a bit better. I have a question about breaking the latch though. Her latch is basically fine most of the time I think, but when I want to switch her to the other side before she is ready I find it really difficult to dislodge her without pain! I have read to stick your little finger in the corner of her mouth but this barely seems to achieve anything and I really have to pull my finger down towards her bottom lip in order to remove her, and so I find myself reluctant to change sides when it's more comfortable to leave her to comfort suck or fall asleep - but I need to change really to keep stimulating flow or relieve the other breast.
    Would love to hear any tips you may have on the correct way to break the latch?

Spinach, I had the same issue as you. And then I saw someone, stick her finger into her mouth to wet it before breaking the latch. I tried this the next time that I needed to break the latch and it was brillant. The wet finger works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My boy was also a bit of a hoover. When you insert your finger into the corner of the baby's mouth, make sure it goes all the way into the mouth, separating the top gum from the bottom and fully breaking the suction before you pull your nipple out. Otherwise you can end up damaging the nipple. If there is resistance as you withdraw the nipple, the suction hasn't been broken fully - then the chin release described by Thaedydal works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Another way to get baby to open his or her mouth is to lay your finger across their nose and block their airway. Baby opens mouth very quickly. Also works for giving medicine when they're older and don't want to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Mu daugther was a vacuum suction baby and nurses said she has great latch, great feeder etc but after 2 weeks I was in agony. No one could see a problem and so I thought there wasn't one - just me being a wimpy new mum.

By week 4 I had been to my doctor who did not even look at me, just diagnosed me as a stressed mum and offered bottles an answer - I had both mastitis and thrush by now - another GP diagnosed and helped this but still no solutions . At week 5 I found someone who recomended the rugby ball hold! It changed literally overnight - my problem was simply the weight of my breast tissue pulling downwards with the addition of babies mouth causing suction was causing trauma.
    Breastfeeding both my girls til 18 months & it wasn't all sweet and roses but glad I did it.

Definitely it is good to try out different positions to find the most comfortable way to feed - it can mean a huge difference to how long you breastfeed for. I remember sitting, perching, squirming, hovering and wishing I could levitate during the first two weeks, I was so sore after the birth. It was difficult to sit at all, never mind say feed as well. If I hadn't been shown how to feed lying down I doubt I would have continued to 10 months. It takes all the pressure off your lower body (keeping a pillow between your knees and one against your lower back is lovely) and can also allow you to manipulate the breast while feeding so that the weight is borne by your hand (or the bed) rather than by the breast itself. It's also a great position if you decide to cosleep - you get much more rest this way.
    Good link here if you are interested in feeding lying down:
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/laydown.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Girls you might find this helpful www.dustanbaby.com
    I learnt what baby wants reading "his cry" it wasn't that hard. also just type in on youtube.com baby language and you will problaby find some films with cries and telling you what do they mean.

Im in the 5th week of breastfeeding and Im on silicon nipple protectors. Cant live without them. Small one sometimes throws a tantrum cos not always likes using them but at least I can rest my sore nipples and still feed him. He had some problems adjusting to them and I had problem using them (no idea how would it work) but now we are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

ani_mal wrote: »
    Girls you might find this helpful www.dustanbaby.com
    I learnt what baby wants reading "his cry" it wasn't that hard. also just type in on youtube.com baby language and you will problaby find some films with cries and telling you what do they mean.

Im in the 5th week of breastfeeding and Im on silicon nipple protectors. Cant live without them. Small one sometimes throws a tantrum cos not always likes using them but at least I can rest my sore nipples and still feed him. He had some problems adjusting to them and I had problem using them (no idea how would it work) but now we are flying.

Well done! You are the first mam who is using the silicone nipple shields and likes them.. I am using them for past 3 months for each feed and can not imagine life without them! My little man got so used of them that he would not dream of sucking on my bare nipple now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I also used the shields and would not have been able to continue breastfeeding either of mine past the second week with out them.

I noticed that my son works better with his mouth on them and when my breast is full so he has problems to catch it. Sometimes I gave him bare nipple when it doesnt sore

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

After reading this I think I'm going to start with the shields with another baby if I have one. James made such a job of my nips that they hurt more in the shields.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    After reading this I think I'm going to start with the shields with another baby if I have one. James made such a job of my nips that they hurt more in the shields.

I was told by a German midwife that policy in her hospital is to recommend limiting feeds in the first few days to 5 mins per hour per side and using loads of lansinoh, and that this can be enough to prevent cracks and soreness. I've only breastfed the one and basically let him latch on as much as he wanted for the first week and ended up in agony. I'll be trying the time limits next time.

there is so many opinions as midwives :) I guess. maybe its and idea but I can imagine it could be tiring to change breast every 5 min and baby would get upset on such change.(to my opinion)

Im trying now electric breast pump but its so weak and it takes ages to extract at least 60ml. Have you got any manual pump to recommend/
    I leave a small bottle for my husband to feed the baby when Im gone and he is awake, and he eats the milk within seconds. I dont think its great. Well ge goes sleep quicker.. my husband was so happy after this one time that he wants to do it more, but I do not agree with it. I need to find this special bottle that has to soothers (one inside another one) and stimulates suck like its a real breast (not so easy to suck) I was told about it on pre-natal classes. seems to work perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I was told by a German midwife that policy in her hospital is to recommend limiting feeds in the first few days to 5 mins per hour per side and using loads of lansinoh, and that this can be enough to prevent cracks and soreness. I've only breastfed the one and basically let him latch on as much as he wanted for the first week and ended up in agony. I'll be trying the time limits next time.

Lansinoh is great but any kind of limiting time at the breast in early days seems to be a horrible idea. both LLL and Cuidiu are also against it and I'll believe them over a single midwife..

One was telling me to do 20 min per breast. just weird.

ebmma wrote: »
    Lansinoh is great but any kind of limiting time at the breast in early days seems to be a horrible idea. both LLL and Cuidiu are also against it and I'll believe them over a single midwife..

One was telling me to do 20 min per breast. just weird.

I know, I can't imagine how it would work, but when my baby was born he basically latched on permanently for the first 4 days, even slept while latched on. I hadn't a clue about how to break a latch or anything at that point, but I will try and take a bit more control of it next time. I don't believe in any kind of strict time limits or schedules, but maybe there's no harm in putting a bit of definition between the start and end of feeds? If 24/7 is a bit extreme, 5 mins per hour is the other end of that scale. I'll be aiming for something in between.

I know, I can't imagine how it would work, but when my baby was born he basically latched on permanently for the first 4 days, even slept while latched on. I hadn't a clue about how to break a latch or anything at that point, but I will try and take a bit more control of it next time. I don't believe in any kind of strict time limits or schedules, but maybe there's no harm in putting a bit of definition between the start and end of feeds? If 24/7 is a bit extreme, 5 mins per hour is the other end of that scale. I'll be aiming for something in between.

I barely remember 1s few days it was such a blur! and then midwives would come and ask me how many times he's feeding and I had no idea...

I think the longest my little guy fed on one side was an hour or so...but then he was back to it soon enough.

hopefully we both get quick and efficient feeders next time around :D

speaking of Lansinoh, I didn't cop on that I only need to put it on the nipple. I smeared the entire area with it :rolleyes: no wonder my latch was awful little guy was sliding:D took a couple of days for someone to point it out to me but sure my nipples were already in bits.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I hated that in the hospital where they ask you how long the baby fed for and you had to write it down and write what was in the nappies. It stresses you out, it's no wonder so many mums had issues with let down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bourgie

Ani-mal, I use the Advent manual pump, and find it great. I've been using it at work and getting up to 200mls in one session (both sides). I believe thats quite a lot, am putting it down to lots of porridge! I'm trying an electric double one at the moment to try to speed things up, but the advent one is great and if I was pumping just occasionally I'd stick to it. I read you should give the baby a 0 teat for bottles and generally an ounce an hour is what is needed.

I lashed on the Lashinoh for both of mine for the first two months I think, I found it brilliant.

I have electric breast pump and find it bad. hardly any milk coming out, yet when I squeeze my breast myself plenty comes out. so I was thinking of manual breast pump, maybe would be better? I have plenty of milk (Junior was stuck to me today for 3hrs in a row!!) and still milk left. at night Im just pouring :) all around.
    anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.

another question, is that ok when baby is on the breast for 3 hrs? did anyone of you had it? if I put him off he sucks his fingers and cries. Im so tired, and I might get depressed soon. eh

I have electric breast pump and find it bad. hardly any milk coming out, yet when I squeeze my breast myself plenty comes out. so I was thinking of manual breast pump, maybe would be better? I have plenty of milk (Junior was stuck to me today for 3hrs in a row!!) and still milk left. at night Im just pouring :) all around.

-anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.
    -another question, is that ok when baby is on the breast for 3 hrs? did anyone of you had it? if I put him off he sucks his fingers and cries. Im so tired, and I might get depressed soon. eh
    - does you babies scream or act weir when latched to the breast? (mine has some tantrums sometimes and Im not sure whats going on) PLS HELP

also ladies I need to ask.
    Ladiesembarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.
    it seems like I got tighter then I was and it is impossible for any penetration. It hurts like hell (apart from dryness).:confused:
    is this normal, does this change with time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

also ladies I need to ask.
    Ladiesembarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.
    it seems like I got tighter then I was and it is impossible for any penetration. It hurts like hell (apart from dryness).:confused:

I couldn't do the deed until about 2 weeks after I gave up brest feeding! Yes it was a long dry spell for my husband but it was just too bloody painful! I ended up going to see a gynaecologist as I was sure there had been a tear down there that hadn't healed properly, but there was nothing physically wrong in that sense. Even with lots of KY and foreplay, hanky panky was a big no no!

I don't know if its to do with hormones, or the tiredness, or just how unsexy you feel when your boobs become udders, or a combination of all of these factors!

Don't force yourself into resuming 'relations' before your body is ready, you'll only stress yourself out and start thinking there is something wrong when there probably isn't. 5 weeks after giving birth is very soon anyway, still alot of healing to do down there! And anyway, there are plenty of ways to be intimate without doing yourself a mischief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

-anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.

- does you babies scream or act weir when latched to the breast? (mine has some tantrums sometimes and Im not sure whats going on) PLS HELP

embarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.

Online is the best place for good bras - google 'nursing bra'. I find the 'Anita' brand brilliant as they're comfortable and the cups are really easy to open.

My small fella sometimes screams at the breast and pulls off. It's almost always wind and a good burp fixes it.

I had him 13 weeks ago by c-section and haven't even attempted sex yet, my sex drive is on the floor:o 5 weeks is really early, your doctor will reassure you of this at your 6 week check-up.

yep, 5 weeks is early...i think i was still bleeding at that stage (had c-section too). done it at 6 weeks for the 1st time and it's been great, a bit dry but nothing some lube won't fix. still breastfeeding at 6 months.
    give yourself some time and tell your partner to be extra gentle. :D

ani_mal look into hand expression. i can work really well for some people as you feel warm fingers rather than plastic and can help with let down.

didn't work for me (used manual pump quite succesfully but my baby doesn't take a bottle so all efforts wasted :() but worth a shot.

just how unsexy you feel when your boobs become udders:)

i think i'm a bit unusual in this but I actually feel way sexier these days! breastfeeding made my boobs go from non-existent to a shapely size B. me and the other half are loving it! real pity is that we're mostly too tired after a day with baby for any fun..

First off, they recommend not resuming sexual intercourse til after your 6-week check up. Secondly, a new mother's best friend is the old KY-jelly, or as much (good) foreplay as you can handle. Without wanting to be too explicit or crude, if you ain't wet, it WILL hurt.

Meant to recommend a nursing bra too. I also got one from the Anita range - very soft, stretchy but still supportive. Make sure that whatever one you buy doesn't have an underwire, especially if you are larger breasted as the wire can restrict milk flow and lead to blocked ducts. I got mine from the site below:
    http://www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk

thx girls
    hard to pick up good nursing bra online (especially BIG size) im 75GG in M&S, then in FREYA im 75G, or actually 80G (but find it too loose) bla bla..
    so Its hard to guess.
    anyway, K-Y jelly never worked for me, I use lub from boots and worked fine, but this time I can use half bottle with the same result - PAIN LIKE HELL.
    tomorrow I have post natal check I might inquire for precise check up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

hard to pick up good nursing bra online (especially BIG size) im 75GG in M&S, then in FREYA im 75G, or actually 80G (but find it too loose) bla bla.

I'm massive too ani_mal (36G now, bought a 36H in my last trimester:eek:) and had no bother getting sizes on this site. The Anita underwire one is brilliant! I bought a few non-wired ones and they were ok, but I didn't feel supported enough.

that's the kinda thing that bothers me, not much support from non wired bras. Everything "is hanging around" :) as I say to my husband- its called gravitation :)

btw, I got my manual medela pump, and I have to say BRILLIANT! milk is squirting like crazy. SO i can recommend it. great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

I found the Avent Isis manual pump good.

My older boy is 15 today. I got a beautiful surprise in the post today. Friends of ours in the UK posted over a DVD they recorded when my lad was just 2 weeks old. It brought back all the excitement of a new baby and we looked so proud :D He's a strapping big lad now and I physically have to look up to him.

I was doubled over laughing at how young we looked especially hubby :D:D

I cannot wait to show it to the boys when they get in from school. I don't think I'll be mean and show it to his friends when they come for dinner tomorrow :D:D

Cherish the baby years as they fly by so quickly.

• Advertisement

Ladies

I need help.. I'm breastfeeding (of course) but have horrible urge for sweets!! I can't help it, can't stand it. trying to substitute with some other things but it's just not working. Anyone has the same?

Advertisement