Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Holding, for out and about feeding I used to roll up a jacket/coat and put it under my elbow for support. Then once baby was settled into feeding I would always wear some kind of light scarf that I would drape at the side of her head (not over it, I'm not a big fan of completely hiding myself and the baby!) just so I was comfortable that I wasn't flashing any flesh.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

emer_b wrote: »
    Holding, for out and about feeding I used to roll up a jacket/coat and put it under my elbow for support. Then once baby was settled into feeding I would always wear some kind of light scarf that I would drape at the side of her head (not over it, I'm not a big fan of completely hiding myself and the baby!) just so I was comfortable that I wasn't flashing any flesh.

I used to just use a hidden support vest under a stretchy jersy top then a swingy cardigan over it. (didnt bother with nursing bras as I found them fiddly. The top would come up, the vest neckline come down and the cardi would cover the breast until I got baby positioned then I'd pull it aside.

He hated anything heavier than a muslin covering his head so I'd have wound the corner of a muslin around the vest strap a couple of times on the feeding side before I picked him up and just draped it over his head while feeding. Then you already had the muslin handy for the burping bit too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yes, as far as I know, the growth spurts happen at the corrected age. I looked back to O's yesterday. He had his at 7 weeks but he was 5 days early so was still ) weeks. So brace yourself!

Well I think ur right! She's 4 weeks tom, so almost 6 weeks corrected - yesterday was feeding like a lunatic!!
    Weirdly she just looks bigger!! Could be my imagination tho!
    4 weeks old.. Where is the time going!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Hope everyone's bfeeding is going okay :D

I was reading the Jo Frost Supernanny baby book today and she says to not over-breastfeed the baby (?!!). She says that she has seen some women do this because they really want to lose weight, and it's not fair on the baby. What is she on?! I'm not sure I would trust the rest of her stuff after reading that.

In other news, I ordered a Medela Swing from Amazon after reading you all rave about them here, and I finally managed to express yesterday. Only a tiny bit, and had to get OH to help as I could only do it when babs was feeding on the other boob, but am delighted with myself, and looking forward to trying again. Was dreading it hurting (like bfeeding did at start) but it didn't really, just tingled, and was so glad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

What the f?? Crazy lady and how many children has she breastfed?
    Keep going with the pumping I found it took awhile to get the hang of it. Also make sure you check to make sure the funnel bit is the correct size for you, when I purchased a smaller one I started to get much more milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Feckin loon!
    I haven't read any of her books, ill definitely avoid them of that's the waffle in them

Hi girls, back with another question! When should I express milk? Should I treat it like an extra feeding in terms of 'counting' it - and will there be much less milk available to baby in that boob if he feeds on it a while after expressing? At the moment, he eats at 9am, 12noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 11pm, and then goes down for the night (this isn't mega strict though & I feed him on demand when he wants it) (he's 10 weeks tomorrow). He feeds on one boob per feed for about 30 mins, and I alternate each feed. Thanks for any advice :)

Edit: yes, crazy about Supernanny! Apparently she also advised a woman on US TV to wean, and her books are full of bad bfeeding advice, like wean at 4 months onto solids etc. Good with toddlers apparently but not with babas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Im also trying figure this out. When i express i usually do it while or just after baby feeds. Like you i generally use one boob per feed...sometimes he's hungrier and needs a bit more. I find expressing in the morning is quicker. I did express once at night so my husband could do the feed later on.

What do others do when you go for a night out? We had our first night out on sat and half during the night i went out to the car to express.

Right, I'm also wondering what to do when you do leave baby for 6 hours. At the three hour mark do you take out your pump and nip to the loo for 20 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

holding wrote: »
    Hope everyone's bfeeding is going okay :D

I was reading the Jo Frost Supernanny baby book today and she says to not over-breastfeed the baby (?!!). She says that she has seen some women do this because they really want to lose weight, and it's not fair on the baby. What is she on?! I'm not sure I would trust the rest of her stuff after reading that.

Pure and utter crap !!! U CANNOT Overfeed a breast fed baby this woman has NO children of her own so I could presume she has never breastfed pure rubbish

The whole thing about b f s that its baby led .....
    Ive fed both my children and two very different experiences but no way csn u overfeed as they are working hard to extract milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Nead21 your post reminded me that I had to start pumping as we've a night out on 23rd. So I sterilized all the pump bits and expressed this afternoon from my *ahem* bad breast (the one with the lower supply).

I got about 2.5ml so I'll do it again tomorrow and maybe Saturday morning. We're away all next week so not sure how storing will work. We've also to give her a bottle before 23rd to make sure she takes it.

I think pumping in the morning would probably be best for me as I'm usually quite full. I might try that tomorrow. I can't pump in the evening just yet as she feeds so often until we go to bed.

As for Jo Frost, do a google search of supernanny and you'll find some god awful reviews and criticism of her show. Over breastfeeding to lose weight is hilarious! If only it was that simple. I think I've eaten 10 biccies this afternoon and that's not including my big lunch. I've been starving for the last week because this little madam had her 6 week growth spurt.

On the positive we've survived 6 weeks \0/ \0/ . I never thought I'd get here in those first few days but am so glad to be here.

Btw holding, I can only dream about a feeding pattern like that. My son was 5 months old before he stretched beyond 2 hours. This little lady is lots and often too :)

It's a very loose pattern, trust me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

\0/ \0/

I know these symbols are a picture of cheering but remembering my son's six week growth spurt all I can see are two very drained boobs.:pac:

Breastfeeding has entered a whole new era in my house. The tooth era! Last night he bit me as he was latching off and I roared, giving him a shock that made him clamp down and pull his head back at the same time. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

iguana wrote: »
    I know these symbols are a picture of cheering but remembering my son's six week growth spurt all I can see are two very drained boobs.:pac:

Breastfeeding has entered a whole new era in my house. The tooth era! Last night he bit me as he was latching off and I roared, giving him a shock that made him clamp down and pull his head back at the same time. Ouch!

Oh I feel that pain :( hope he didn't do any damage!!
    I had a few weeks of that occasionally happening and then it just stopped (thank f**k!!)

Can't still quite get over the shock - normally feed S at about 11.30 pm she wakes at around 2.30 and 5/6 fir next feed. Last night fed at 12.30am and she didn't wake til 6!!! She's 4 weeks?!?!
    I'm really hoping its not a once off!!!!!
    She was so colicky from 7-12.30 she literally screamed all evening so maybe she wore herself out!

Think I have a problem with over supply ... Since the start really but I thought it would settle down but now even tho during day she's feeding about every 3 hrs only I'm engorged every feed in the side she's due from and have to hand express a bit first so she can latch - otherwise she's fussing a huge amount and swallowing loads of air with clicking noises? I am pretty sure this is the prob . I can express about 3-4 oz off one side in less than 5 mins..... This sounds fab but actually has meant I've had to stop expressing to stop supply fir last 2 weeks cos my boobs would burst!!! Maybe it'll settle in a few more weeks?
    As a result if not being able to express I've given her a bottle of formula once every couple if days - well my hubbie has as he likes to do one feed a day and I like the break! Wonder what causes over supply - cos it doesn't seem to be demand at the mo?

You might have an oversupply after the 3week growth spurt??

I definitely felt more full after that but it settled down again after about a week.

Nead21 wrote: »
    You might have an oversupply after the 3week growth spurt??

I definitely felt more full after that but it settled down again after about a week.

Hope that's it - they are just too full to be comfy coming up to feed time - and I'm springing leaks all over the place! Thank god for breast pads!

Yeah I had very leaky boobs around that time, kept soaking my pjs!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hi all,
    Has anyone breastfed while pregnant? Dd is almost 6 months and I'm 13 weeks pregnant boobs are already massive and fairly sore!! All part of pregnancy but I hope they aren't like this for the next 6 months!! Milk supply seems to have decreased as dd is feeding alot more the last couple of weeks. I would love to breastfeed dd as long as possible, has anyone breastfed both baby and newborn? Would love to hear how it went for others :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi ladies, haven't been on here in a while but need a bit of advice.
    I'm feeding my 8 month old girl twice a day, morning and night. Had no problem winding down the feeds as never had a massive supply. Have been on 2 breast feeds a day for the last month.
    This morning felt a hard area in one of my breasts and a small whitish patch on my nipple. I used a hot face cloth on it, expressed a little and gave baby an extra feed. It's a little better but still sore.
    As luck would have it I'm on my first away from her tonight so will be relying on pumping.
    Any suggestions how I should handle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Never mind too long!

Well from over supply to no supply! Must be growth spurt but I can't keep up with my 5 week old! I have been feeding her on & off since 3am and she won't sleep etc. last night when I went to feed her , even tho it had been 2&1/2 hrs since last feed by boobs were soft totally - she was none impressed :( we give her a few ounces of formula at night so last night I left her latched fir an hr on each side before that in the hope it might stimulate supply! On the plus side she's started properly smiling!!! So worth it. But finding minding my toddler so difficult. She's so demanding if attention Etc!
    Plus my section wound , well on the inside feels tender again. :(

Yikes!! The growth spurt is almost over so hopefully it'll settle down then. We've got to the 6 week mark which is the main thing!! Here's hoping it gets easier from now on.

A has got really fussy at times this week and screams when I try to feed her so I have to take her off and calm her down before I try again. I looked up kellymom and its something that can happen between 6-8 weeks after the growth spurt. We've also had a couple of nights of screaming for hours and I'm really hoping its just fussiness and not a sign of colic starting.

I find she can't get her wind up from 3-4am and the only way she can settle is to lie on her tummy on my tummy.

We're getting lots of smiles too and some ahoo's which is so cute. If we say ahoo she will smile and say it back to us.

She loves being around people so she's happy to sit in her bouncy chair and watch what's going on. Just as well because as the second child we just don't have the time for one on one attention that we had for O.

É was very fussy from around 6 weeks up until last week and then just something clicked and he really settled down. He seems really grown up or something. Those 2weeks were very hard though as we had similar problems like screaming, difficulty getting wind up etc.

On the plus side the bf is so much easier now. Couldnt imaging giving up any time soon :-) Boobs have also settled down so got measured and treated myself to and a lovely nursing bra for all my hard work!

Exactly the same wind issues! Also at 3/4 am and onwards! Tummy to tummy helps a bit here too but not enough for sleep!!

Bloody public health nurse has once again said my baby has gained too much weight in the last 2 weeks... Seriously I'm fit to slap her - she's only 9lbs 3oz! And is in no way fat! And if she was good for her at 5 weeks old! Grrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

dublinlady wrote: »
    Exactly the same wind issues! Also at 3/4 am and onwards! Tummy to tummy helps a bit here too but not enough for sleep!!

Bloody public health nurse has once again said my baby has gained too much weight in the last 2 weeks... Seriously I'm fit to slap her - she's only 9lbs 3oz! And is in no way fat! And if she was good for her at 5 weeks old! Grrrrrrrr!

C gained 2 pounds in the first month and 4 in the second. So at two months she was 14 pounds. No such thing as over feeding a breastfed baby I thought? Ignore her!!!

A is a monster!! I weighed her last week and she was 13lb 6 at 6.5 weeks. I'd say she's over 14lb now.

DL your phn is taking through her rear end as that's the beauty of breastfeeding; bf babies are the size they're supposed to be whether that's big, small or average.

Also with oversupply it's quite common that the baby gains a lot of weight in the first 3 months but that gain tapers off after so by 6 months they are back to average.

It's just such a shame that yet again phns don't understand breastfeeding and how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

It's just such a shame that yet again phns don't understand breastfeeding and how it works.

I would like to be respectful to phn's but there is ALOT that they get wrong! I was told when I stopped bfeeding that if just dry up.... No advice on engorgement whatsoever. They've also weighed O wrong on two occasions indicating he was losing weight when he was clearly thriving!! Then they had the cheek to turn up at my house one morning without confirming the day or time. So I not a fan of phn's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm having trouble breastfeeding my 5 day old due to issues with my nipples and his suckling reflex and we've tried loads of different things (nipple shields, latch assist etc) but it's just not happening. I've been pumping every 3 hours instead (my supply is good) and my hubby and I are happy with how it's going and that he is getting breast milk (with one or two formula feeds) so we want to continue with it as long as possible.

Does anyone else have experience of doing this and have any advice? We're going to hire a double pump (I'm using a single electric Tommee Tippee one now which is grand) to save time. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to hire/which one? I'm looking at one from inhealth

Advertisement