Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm having trouble breastfeeding my 5 day old due to issues with my nipples and his suckling reflex and we've tried loads of different things (nipple shields, latch assist etc) but it's just not happening. I've been pumping every 3 hours instead (my supply is good) and my hubby and I are happy with how it's going and that he is getting breast milk (with one or two formula feeds) so we want to continue with it as long as possible.

Does anyone else have experience of doing this and have any advice? We're going to hire a double pump (I'm using a single electric Tommee Tippee one now which is grand) to save time. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to hire/which one? I'm looking at one from inhealth

Congrats on babs murdy wurdy!

I didn't have to pump exclusively but I know 2 people who did used a medela double pump. I think fenugreek helps keep supply up too? I always say it to anyone who pumps full time you are absolutely amazing! I never was able for pumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

cyning wrote: »
    Congrats on babs murdy wurdy!

I didn't have to pump exclusively but I know 2 people who did used a medela double pump. I think fenugreek helps keep supply up too? I always say it to anyone who pumps full time you are absolutely amazing! I never was able for pumping.

Thanks! I just want to get as much breast milk into him as possible, at least for a little while.

The midwife was just here and also recommended that pump, so great to have that backed up! She was also impressed with the amount I 'm pumping so I'm feeling a lot more confident now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

It might be worth seeing a lactation consultation or contacting la leche league or cuidiu as well, there are some great Facebook pages as well like breastfeeding mums in Dublin that are great for advice. Inhealth has the ardor calypso dbl pump which is meant to be fantastic for the price also the lanisoh one as well. It's worth investing if you intend on continuing. Think of what you'll save on formula!!! Got email from inhealth the other day 10% off with code FREE10.

Thanks! I just want to get as much breast milk into him as possible, at least for a little while.

The midwife was just here and also recommended that pump, so great to have that backed up! She was also impressed with the amount I 'm pumping so I'm feeling a lot more confident now. :)

Oh that's great... Like piper said its well worth seeing an ibclc lactation consultant of you want to get him latched back on. They have great tricks sometimes. Sometimes its not possible too though :( My nipples were shredded with C I used shields for awhile but she got c on almost painfree. I had to pump from one side for the first few weeks and I never got much!
    She had a liptie so that made it harder for her to suck but after a few weeks she just got the hang of it... And then a few months ago she fell banged her mouth severed the liptie and bled everywhere. Painfree nipples since :)

Except when she bites

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

I expressed for 7 months for my first daughter. Its time consuming but its totally worth it if breastfeeding directly doesn't work. But as your baby is still small I would first see lactation consultant ( rule out tongue tie, correct position etc) as its soooo much easier to breatfeed. I'm feeding my second daughter now- I didn't have easy start but I was very determined to make it work and for last couple of months ( she is 5 months ) its a bliss.
    If you decide to pump, there is good few websites with advice how to keep up the supply. And yes pump will be your best friend as you need to express very regularly ( day and night for couple of months). I used the madela hospital grade ( rented ) its very quiet.
    I was taking fennugreek, fennel tea loads of oats. Also its important to mimic baby's nursing habits ( as you have to fool your body to make milk as it was baby suckling). Try to do clustar pumping at evening etc.
    So good luck, it can be done. You are a great mummy :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone night weaned an almost 1 year old? Everything I've read suggests getting dad to rock baby and soothe them but my oh gets up for work at 530/6am and drives a lot for work whereas I'm a SAHM so it's not really practical. Just wondering did anyone do it without dads help? I'm just wondering if me picking her up and soothing her without giving her boob will drive her mad. CIO or controlled crying are not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Has anyone night weaned an almost 1 year old? Everything I've read suggests getting dad to rock baby and soothe them but my oh gets up for work at 530/6am and drives a lot for work whereas I'm a SAHM so it's not really practical. Just wondering did anyone do it without dads help? I'm just wondering if me picking her up and soothing her without giving her boob will drive her mad. CIO or controlled crying are not for me.

I was reading on another forum today about night weaning and dr jay Gordon's method was suggested. I've no idea what exactly involves, but it definitely does not involve any controller crying or that kinda crap.
    Starting to consider night weaning here as well, so I'm interested in any other suggestions :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I gradually cut down the feeds by giving a soother, and patting/stroking the baby in the cot back to sleep if they were sleepy enough to fall back to sleep without being picked up. The odd time I would pick up and feed to sleep but only when the first method didnt work. If I thought he was thirsty I offered his sippy cup with water.

I was lucky though, he had a great appetite for his meals so I think that he was fuller during the day and not hungry at night so the waking was therefore habit and was usually easily solved by a soother.

My baby self weaned entirely at 11 months so I dont know if it was partly that too. He still wakes during the night -mostly before we go to bed and in the hours before waking time but a soother and a tummy rubbing does the trick to send him off again easily.

liliq wrote: »
    I was reading on another forum today about night weaning and dr jay Gordon's method was suggested. I've no idea what exactly involves, but it definitely does not involve any controller crying or that kinda crap.
    Starting to consider night weaning here as well, so I'm interested in any other suggestions :)

I've been reading about his: you basically pick 7 hours (he reccomends 11-6) and you don't feed. You (well he says dad) soothe but no boob for those 7 hours. He also doesn't say it only takes 3 nights like lots of the parenting books, but 11/12 I think.

In theory sounds great and all but she's a boob monster at night and I'm wrecked from her!! I don't think she'd take me saying no too well :)

She spits out the soother and goes rooting: we co sleep too. I might need to work on that first? I wouldn't even say she wakes up fully but if she doesn't get it straight away she could be up for 2 hours because she does wake up then if that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

She spits out the soother and goes rooting: we co sleep too. I might need to work on that first? I wouldn't even say she wakes up fully but if she doesn't get it straight away she could be up for 2 hours because she does wake up then if that makes sense?

Ah. I know what you mean. It sounds like a sleepy habit but if she doesnt get it she wakes to find out why not :)

If you co-sleep then she probably smells the milk. Cant blame her then really. :) I would personally change the co-sleeping arrangement, wait until she has settled into that, then address reducing the night feeds. Like you I dont think I could put a baby through such massive changes all at once and I just think that CIO /Controlled crying is not for me. I'd just feel cruel.

I expressed for 7 months for my first daughter. Its time consuming but its totally worth it if breastfeeding directly doesn't work. But as your baby is still small I would first see lactation consultant ( rule out tongue tie, correct position etc) as its soooo much easier to breatfeed. I'm feeding my second daughter now- I didn't have easy start but I was very determined to make it work and for last couple of months ( she is 5 months ) its a bliss.
    If you decide to pump, there is good few websites with advice how to keep up the supply. And yes pump will be your best friend as you need to express very regularly ( day and night for couple of months). I used the madela hospital grade ( rented ) its very quiet.
    I was taking fennugreek, fennel tea loads of oats. Also its important to mimic baby's nursing habits ( as you have to fool your body to make milk as it was baby suckling). Try to do clustar pumping at evening etc.
    So good luck, it can be done. You are a great mummy :)

Thank you so much for the advice - it's very reassuring. I had my first visit from the PHN today and she has referred me to the local lactation consultant. She gave me some sdvice in the meantime and told me to keep trying with the nipple shields but have a bottle of expressed milk ready to go so we could try for a short time and then if it didn't work we'd be ready to go. We tried this earlier and with the nipple shields I got him to latch on and feed on my breast straight away. He fed on both sides for ages and got a good feed! I was so relieved and overwhelmed I was sobbing crying (I blame this on hormones!) :o

I think maybe having my milk in and him being used to sucking a bottle really helped - he was so much better able for it than he was in the hospital. I'm hoping it's not a once off and I can do it again. It's nice to know the lactation consultant will come anyway and I'll get some more help. The PHN is coming back on Friday too. If a few of you hadn't suggested persevering I may not have been so eager to try again/engage with a lactation consultant so thank you all for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

That's fab murdy!! Well done!
    With my first I had to use shields for the whole 14 weeks I breast fed - this was cos I couldn't get the latch right in the hospital, the mid wife suggested them and then she wouldn't feed without them. I did love them cos they meant I could breast feed but found them fiddly to get on when feeding in public etc and annoying to always remember to have with me! But great none the less!!
    This time I fed her fine until day ten when she just completely forgot everything she had learnt & couldn't latch on - just like that! It was awful! So due to advise on here I got in touch with a great lactation consultant who corrected my latch with a few tips & observations - for the feed while she was there with me we started using the shields and the baby latched again - I like u was crying with relief! But then I remembered how I used to hate the shields first time so she explained that trying the baby each feed without them was a good idea to keep trying with the latch! When trying without - do it about 5 mins into a feed so the baby isn't starving and frantic - just slip it off and they might just surprise you by latching back on without it!
    The other thing if interest to me was she said I didn't need to sterilise the shields! Which would have made it sooo much easier first time around if I knew that!!
    Latching with the shields is excellent - your successfully breast feeding! But if u want a lazier life its def worth trying time & time again to wean them off the shield! Apparently some babies just 'get' it weeks and even months in! My first was dependant on them tho - but it still meant I could breast feed so they really were fab!
    I found the Medela ones the best as v soft silicone which is nicely shaped. Apparently you should always choose large size as is best to promote latch - regardless if size if nipples - I.e my problem was small nipples & she still said I should use large shields!
    Didn't realise I had 'small ' nipples til I breast fed.... Haha - but it's irrelevant anyway as its the whole areola they need not the nipple!
    Hope that helps!

My issue now is I think we have thrush.... Her tongue all white ( not milk) & my boobs gone all red & sore around nipple :( Had to express from one side this eve cos was too sore to feed - sge keeps pulling off with my nipple between her gums!! Eek!!
    Got daktarin oral gel so that should help hopefully! One side at least is not as sore so can still feed normally with that one!
    Other than that feeding going great - I'm delighted! 6 weeks tomorrow and she's become a lot more efficient and quicker at feeding - my 16 month old is getting really fed up of her being on my lap tho...
    I have about 20 books shoved down side of couch to pull out to distract her while I'm feeding!

dublinlady wrote: »
    That's fab murdy!! Well done!
    With my first I had to use shields for the whole 14 weeks I breast fed - this was cos I couldn't get the latch right in the hospital, the mid wife suggested them and then she wouldn't feed without them. I did love them cos they meant I could breast feed but found them fiddly to get on when feeding in public etc and annoying to always remember to have with me! But great none the less!!
    This time I fed her fine until day ten when she just completely forgot everything she had learnt & couldn't latch on - just like that! It was awful! So due to advise on here I got in touch with a great lactation consultant who corrected my latch with a few tips & observations - for the feed while she was there with me we started using the shields and the baby latched again - I like u was crying with relief! But then I remembered how I used to hate the shields first time so she explained that trying the baby each feed without them was a good idea to keep trying with the latch! When trying without - do it about 5 mins into a feed so the baby isn't starving and frantic - just slip it off and they might just surprise you by latching back on without it!
    The other thing if interest to me was she said I didn't need to sterilise the shields! Which would have made it sooo much easier first time around if I knew that!!
    Latching with the shields is excellent - your successfully breast feeding! But if u want a lazier life its def worth trying time & time again to wean them off the shield! Apparently some babies just 'get' it weeks and even months in! My first was dependant on them tho - but it still meant I could breast feed so they really were fab!
    I found the Medela ones the best as v soft silicone which is nicely shaped. Apparently you should always choose large size as is best to promote latch - regardless if size if nipples - I.e my problem was small nipples & she still said I should use large shields!
    Didn't realise I had 'small ' nipples til I breast fed.... Haha - but it's irrelevant anyway as its the whole areola they need not the nipple!
    Hope that helps!

My issue now is I think we have thrush.... Her tongue all white ( not milk) & my boobs gone all red & sore around nipple :( Had to express from one side this eve cos was too sore to feed - sge keeps pulling off with my nipple between her gums!! Eek!!
    Got daktarin oral gel so that should help hopefully! One side at least is not as sore so can still feed normally with that one!
    Other than that feeding going great - I'm delighted! 6 weeks tomorrow and she's become a lot more efficient and quicker at feeding - my 16 month old is getting really fed up of her being on my lap tho...
    I have about 20 books shoved down side of couch to pull out to distract her while I'm feeding!

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking it would be nice if I could graduate to not using the shields but one step at a time at the moment. I imagine they are awkward if you want to breastfeed in public and they are fiddly. Especially as my little man is quite strong and squirms a bit at first. I think I'll see what the lactation consultant says but I'd imagine she will tell me to try without them etc. but I'm not sure that would work. I suppose like with the pumping knowing you have options/back-up makes things a lot easier.

Hope your little one's thrush clears up soon - it sounds nasty, for both of you!

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking it would be nice if I could graduate to not using the shields but one step at a time at the moment. I imagine they are awkward if you want to breastfeed in public and they are fiddly. Especially as my little man is quite strong and squirms a bit at first. I think I'll see what the lactation consultant says but I'd imagine she will tell me to try without them etc. but I'm not sure that would work. I suppose like with the pumping knowing you have options/back-up makes things a lot easier.

Hope your little one's thrush clears up soon - it sounds nasty, for both of you!

For 2 weeks after using the shields this time I carried them everywhere with me - just incase!
    As you say - they mean your able to feed now so go with it! Just sonething to bare in mind tho!

Huge congrats on his safe arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Your very welcome MurdyWurdy :) I hope it will get easier for you. And I have to say, support when you starting breastfeeding is everything. I found chatting to other mummies very reassuring:)
    On the nipple shields - my sister fed her baby for 4 months with them and 1 day she just latched on no problem :) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey everyone, I hope you all don't mind me coming in, I am 36 weeks pregnant with no2 and plan to BF again. I expressed for 6 weeks with no1 before my supply dried up. He wouldn't latch and I got very depressed about it, so I am hoping to prepare myself now and make it easier (well that's the plan anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Hi wolfpawnat, congratulations on your pregnancy and best of luck in 4 weeks or so ;) There is some great advice here. I read through the entire thread during late night feeds, and really benefitted. I am exclusively breast feeding now for 11 weeks and loving it. It was hell up until about the 6 week mark, and it's been actually grand since then. Perseverance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I second with Holding said. It's so hard for the first few weeks and then it gets easier and easier with time. Im also exclusively bf and now that we re getting out more its great not to have to carry around bottles.

Getting support is huge and so important and it honestly keeps you going through tough days.

Oh and make sure you eat well. My husband still makes all the meals and used to leave lunch in the fridge for me when he was at work (i can just about manage that now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

DL I read on another forum that Udos Super 8 oil or something like that is supposed to be brilliant if you've got thrush. You get it in the fridge section of healthcare stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows the best place to get replacement parts for an avent manual breast pump. I'm looking for a valve, diaghpram and breast shield.
    Sorry if this has been asked before dont have time to read whole thread! (typing one handed as it is!)

Maybe check the Medicare website. I know they do spare parts for Medela pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

According the Infant and Toddlers bargain thread, Dunnes are selling Avent manual pumps for 10e at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hi everyone. I'm currently breastfeeding twins. 6 weeks today. I've been giving one bottle formula at night since being in hospital and its saved me really. I get a few hrs sleep while someone else does a feed. But I'd love to drop it and use expressed milk instead. I've rented a pump for the month to see how I go. Where do I start? Is morning best time to pump? Anything I need to consider?

Thanks

Blueskye wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm currently breastfeeding twins. 6 weeks today. I've been giving one bottle formula at night since being in hospital and its saved me really. I get a few hrs sleep while someone else does a feed. But I'd love to drop it and use expressed milk instead. I've rented a pump for the month to see how I go. Where do I start? Is morning best time to pump? Anything I need to consider?

Thanks

I definitely found the morning the best time to pump: I never did a whole pile if pumping but I'm sure a few more will give better advice! I did find I got more if I'd just finished feeding from one side but I don't know how possible you'll find that?

Also serious kudos on breastfeeding twins: that's amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cyning, I'm going through the night weaning process and it's going well, I just wish I did it ages ago. Sam obviously picked up on my stress when my husband had his car crash and went from sleeping 8-9 hours a night to waking up every hour or so and rooting about. Since I started night weaning I've gotten him to sleep for at least a 5 hour stretch and sometimes he'll do 8 or 9. One thing that I would suggest is that if your husband really needs his sleep ask him to consider sleeping elsewhere for a week or two. Night weaning is hard work for the first few nights and you have to be prepared to get less sleep for those nights.

I started with a goal of not feeding between 12.30 and 5am, then after a few days success with those hours I started adding an extra half hour every few days. I decided that I wouldn't let him cry if I couldn't console him after a few minutes but I would do everything I could to avoid it. Now I do a dream feed around 12-12.30am and after that if Sam wakes I start by rolling him toward me for a hug, that nearly always works. If he continues to root, I move him up higher so he's nearer my face, which often settles him. If that doesn't work I rock him a little. Then I move onto singing rock a bye baby, which for some reason, he finds very settling. The next step (and the one I find hardest, is to sit up and keep rocking and singing - this very rarely doesn't work. I also bought him a fisher-price seahorse and I press that sometimes as it has the effect of distracting him from rooting without waking him. It rarely send him all the way back to sleep but it buys me time to gather my energy for more rocking and signing. And my 'nuclear option' is to have a bottle with water in it by the bed and to offer him that as he may just be thirsty. I've only twice given in and fed him during the times I have decided not to and they have been due to teething.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I read this recently... It's not just about breastfeeding, but about parenting in general.

http://nurshable.com/2012/05/05/i-will-not-nurse-you-forever/

Blueskye wrote: »

Thanks[/quot

I express a bit from each side at the end of each morning feed,til about 12 - I find if I keep expressing after that I can't catch up with her demand fir the day!

Huge well done for breast feeding twins!!

I pump in the mornings as I'm usually quite full. By evening time my supply is quite low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I pump in the mornings as I'm usually quite full. By evening time my supply is quite low.

Hi how strange,

At night time we may think our supply is low, but either two things are happening

A) our breasts are so efficient at producing the milk on demand we don't need to be full before we feed. The same thing happens after a change in the feeding pattern. Breast efficiency sometimes makes women feel like they've dipped because the feeling of "fullness" from the beginning is gone.

B) because of the hormones, children love to be nursed for longer in the evening. This is particularly so at the early stages but can be any random time for the first year if there's a developmental milestone. It's not unusual to be parked up for a few hours in the evening while baby has a monster feed, but that's because of their appetite, not the amount they are getting.

Advertisement