Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know this is a weird question and as an adult I should just get over myself. But I hate drinking plain water, yet I know you have to drink a good bit to keep supply up after baby is born, but is it possible to drink loads of water with a hint of something like ribena or something in it? I assume drinking it with the recommended portions would send most of it straight through me as it is all sugars, but just a hint to take the plainness out of the water, is that okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I know this is a weird question and as an adult I should just get over myself. But I hate drinking plain water, yet I know you have to drink a good bit to keep supply up after baby is born, but is it possible to drink loads of water with a hint of something like ribena or something in it? I assume drinking it with the recommended portions would send most of it straight through me as it is all sugars, but just a hint to take the plainness out of the water, is that okay?

I use mi wadi but use way less than the recommended amount so it's only lightly flavoured. I have a glass bottle in the fridge with it in it so it's always easily available and nice and cold. breastfeeding makes you so thirsty ! I also hate plain water. It seems to be working so far and baby seems happy with the milk.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I use mi wadi but use way less than the recommended amount so it's only lightly flavoured. I have a glass bottle in the fridge with it in it so it's always easily available and nice and cold. breastfeeding makes you so thirsty ! I also hate plain water. It seems to be working so far and baby seems happy with the milk.

Yeah, I would get sick of it very fast if there was too much and I could imagine it would sugar up the milk or just send the whole thing through me. Just something to add a tiny bit flavour. I was shopping yesterday and I wanted to buy ribena for my hospital bag :o

Yeah, I would get sick of it very fast if there was too much and I could imagine it would sugar up the milk or just send the whole thing through me. Just something to add a tiny bit flavour. I was shopping yesterday and I wanted to buy ribena for my hospital bag :o

Go for it! I had diet coke in mine which apparently is a big bfeeding no no but I knew I'd be sick and want something fizzy! They had cartons of Ribena in the hosp cafe, hubby got me one one day and it was cry tasty. I think I needed the sugar at that stage!l. :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Go for it! I had diet coke in mine which apparently is a big bfeeding no no but I knew I'd be sick and want something fizzy! They had cartons of Ribena in the hosp cafe, hubby got me one one day and it was cry tasty. I think I needed the sugar at that stage!l. :)

Well reading the material, sugars are good during labour :) but I more than likely won't even get to try the whole natural route this time. (both a blessing and a curse) Actually did any planned section moms have problems with their milk? A day or two before natural labour starts the body sends the hormones to ready the colostrum, with planned sections it doesn't get that pre-warning, does that add to the difficulty of feeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I find adding a squeeze of lemon or lime juice is great, or a few crushed berries is nice too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Wolfpawnat your milk could be delayed by 2-3 days if you have a section. Not always but it can happen. However your colostrum is there now ready and waiting for your baby.

But colostrum is enough for your baby if your milk was delayed by a couple of days so don't worry that he/she would be starving. You may have a very impatient cranky baby but their nutritional needs are being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

DL I read on another forum that Udos Super 8 oil or something like that is supposed to be brilliant if you've got thrush. You get it in the fridge section of healthcare stores.
    It tastes disgusting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I had a section. Milk maybe a day slow coming in but had loads when it did.

Rant alert! Just took my twin boys for their 6 week developmental check. Boys have gained weight steadily since birth. GP presumed I'm bottle feeding and then proceeded to tell me I'll have to stop bf soon as I won't be able to produce enough milk. Now I know plenty of mothers successfully bf twins so I'm so annoyed he can make a statement like that. It's no wonder our bf rates are so low when health professionals have such attitudes. He was also using formula chart not weight chart for breast fed babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks iguana :D it's good to hear someone else doing it. I'm going to wait until next week because C is anaemic and we have blood tests and paediatrician appt Fri, so fingers crossed her iron is improving and her heart murmur with it :)

Blueskye that's so frustrating :( I'm really lucky that my gp is extremely pro breastfeeding (being married to a lc how could he not be!), but I've just complained about shocking breastfeeding advice I got when C was in hospital. Made me feel better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh and my big vice is diet coke: I drink and eat anything and everything nothing had ever affected C. Except sweet n sour from Chinese! In antenatal classes we were told no chocolate, grapes, oranges or berries etc. I detest milk I don't touch it and midwife in hospital told me I couldn't breastfeed if I didn't drink milk: some babies are far more affected than others but after suffering with hyperemesis right until the time I delivered I doubt I'd still be breastfeeding almost a year later if I'd had to have a restricted diet. Obviously you may have to cut out stuff, but I'd personally work on the cut it out if needed rather than avoid altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Blueskye can't believe that, its crazy. Bad form on his part.

I bought lemon and lime, cut them into eights, frozen them and throw them into my water everyday!

Blueskye, can't believe that! I wonder what my GP will be like? You would think all health professionals, not just phns/midwives would be supporting it.

I have the lactation consultant coming in an hour - I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it too. I've been breastfeeding exclusively since I started the other day but it's still sore and I'm awkward with positioning him. Hopefully it will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

God Bluesky would you be looking for another GP? I do baby yoga with a woman who bf her twins until they were 14months. Crazy that u were told that!

Murdy, I think it might depend on their age and training

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

jaysus blueskye what an idiot of a doctor. Fair play for bf twins,keep up the good work.:D

How did you get on with lactation consultant Murdy?

I'll just have to prove GP wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

In most cases nothing that the mother eats has any effect on her milk with the exception of certain medications, alcohol and stimulants like caffeine. In some cases certain foods will bother specific babies but there are no hard and fast rules. As long as your baby is not being bothered you can eat and drink whatever you like, Ribena, Coke, chocolate, cabbage, turnip, whatever.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Hi was wondering could someone help I breastfed my son until he was 5 months.

Hes 12 months now and I seen a small bit of breastmilk which has sent me into a panic because I never noticed it before. How long does it stay for after does anyone know.

Theres no way im pregnant ive got Implanon in and am just over a really heavy period im so confused.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

hollster2 wrote: »
    Hi was wondering could someone help I breastfed my son until he was 5 months.

Hes 12 months now and I seen a small bit of breastmilk which has sent me into a panic because I never noticed it before. How long does it stay for after does anyone know.

Theres no way im pregnant ive got Implanon in and am just over a really heavy period im so confused.

Anyone else had this problem?

High prolactin levels can cause breast milk in non-pregnant and non-nursing mothers. It's a simple blood test and if its high you take a small tablet daily to fix it. I had high prolactin before I got pregnant.

Neyite wrote: »
    High prolactin levels can cause breast milk in non-pregnant and non-nursing mothers. It's a simple blood test and if its high you take a small tablet daily to fix it. I had high prolactin before I got pregnant.

Hi thanks for your reply ill do that.

Blueskye wrote: »
    How did you get on with lactation consultant Murdy?

I'll just have to prove GP wrong ;)

It went well, she was mostly just reassuring us that we're doing a good job because baby is thriving and has lots of wet and dirty nappies. I get the inpression a lot of mums think they're not giving enough milk.

She went over some different positions and helped with my latch so now it's must less painful. She said my nipples are in a bit of a bad way (cracked and cut) which I couldn't tell by looking at which was interesting. She had lots if advice for that and for avoiding mastitis.

She had lots of other bits of advice but mostly it was just a confidence boost that we're doing things right. She gave me her number and said she could come back anytime which is good to know, especially as it is a free service through the public health centre. I definitely recommend to anyone if you need any help at all.

Was out of the house a good bit today. We had lunch out and I breastfed in the restaurant with a blanket over my shoulder. Am very pleased with how easy it was, I had no fear and just got on with it. Really made me realise how handy it is that I can breastfeed directly now :)

Well donr murdy - great to be able to get out and not worry about bottles etc and the first time can be nerve wracking! I'm just over sore and cracked nipple (3rd child and 1st time with it) and sweet mary mother of God the pain, I swear by a nipple cream called multimam (boots have it) when you put it on you can actuallly feel it soothing the cuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

I got the multi maam pads and they were god send the first few weeks is d cream better than d lanolish cream. I'm bf 9 months now n just recently v sore. Not sure if its baba having teeth or her habit of scratching me while feeding. Or if I've mastitis. But not blocked so can't be mastitis ? ?

I have the multimam compresses and the lansinoh cream which are helping. Improving his position has helped too so they are healing.

Do you feel well in yourself skit490? The lactation consultant said with mastitis you'd feel generally fluey as well as have a sore, inflamed, hard red spot on your boob.

Maybe it is your baby's teeth or are you doing anything else different?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

For soreness while feeding, I found a book called What to Expect when You're Breastfeeding extremely helpful. She has a position in there with a pillow that I've used ever since I read it about 6 weeks ago that's literally stopped me feeling any pain when he feeds, where it was VERY sore for me before. Still sore when he clamps down and draws his head back to try and see the tv now but that's another thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm starting to feel a bit awkward feeding in public now as feedings seem to go a bit like this from Sam's perspective. I want boob, where's the boob. I'm faceplanting the boob, come on give me boob. Oh good here's the boob, I'll have a nice big drink, no wait hold on, I hear a sound, I need to sit up and look in the direction of the sound. Ok now I've looked at that, I'll lie back and get some more boob. OMG!!!!! THE BOOB IS GONE! I'm freaking out, freaking out. This is the worst thing to ever happen to me, where's the boob? Where's the BOOOOOB? Oh ok there it is. I'll take a nice big drink now, oh wait another sound, I must sit up and look at it......................... repeat ad nauseam.

skit490, I haven't used the compresses - didn't need to as the balm was enough. I'm thankfully not sore anymore (apart from the almightly tug he gives when initially latching!)

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel a bit awkward feeding in public now as feedings seem to go a bit like this from Sam's perspective. I want boob, where's the boob. I'm faceplanting the boob, come on give me boob. Oh good here's the boob, I'll have a nice big drink, no wait hold on, I hear a sound, I need to sit up and look in the direction of the sound. Ok now I've looked at that, I'll lie back and get some more boob. OMG!!!!! THE BOOB IS GONE! I'm freaking out, freaking out. This is the worst thing to ever happen to me, where's the boob? Where's the BOOOOOB? Oh ok there it is. I'll take a nice big drink now, oh wait another sound, I must sit up and look at it......................... repeat ad nauseam.

That is brilliant "look whos talking" lol

Advertisement