Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Congrats wolfpawnat - that's great news and so wonderful the feeding is already going so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Congrats wolfpawnat - that's great news and so wonderful the feeding is already going so well :)

I cannot describe the joy her father and I had. She just went straight on, no messing. Ate for near half an hour. Happy out snooZing since. Nurses are great trying to assist. Way better than last time

Can I ask in general how long is a feed after birth. She fed for roughly 40 min broken over a hour an a half. But it was strong feeding there thankfully seems to be Plenty cholestrum.

Also there is some cracking and bleed on one areolA, is that normal. Not sore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Can I ask in general how long is a feed after birth. She fed for roughly 40 min broken over a hour an a half. But it was strong feeding there thankfully seems to be Plenty cholestrum.

Also there is some cracking and bleed on one areolA, is that normal. Not sore though.

Congrats :) delighted for you!

It's kind of like asking how long a piece if string is: every baby is different. C just latched on and would have stayed there permanently if she could have. So that is definitely normal.

Cracking and bleeding isn't really normal: it can happen if baby isn't latching "correctly". Much and all as i hated being told that. But in saying that almost everyone I know who breastfed had them! Multi mam compresses are supposed to be fantastic. I used plenty of lansinoh too.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »

It's kind of like asking how long a piece if string is: every baby is different. C just latched on and would have stayed there permanently if she could have. So that is definitely normal.

Cracking and bleeding isn't really normal: it can happen if baby isn't latching "correctly". Much and all as i hated being told that. But in saying that almost everyone I know who breastfed had them! Multi mam compresses are supposed to be fantastic. I used plenty of lansinoh too.

Yeah S's first attempt was a little awry (as it is fir many mammys and baby's) better now but she is leaving it really long between feeds

A was latched on constantly when she was born and I think her brother was pretty much the same.

Definitely get the latch checked and corrected. The multi mam compresses are expensive but worth it. You can reuse them and I yes to keep them on the breast for the whole day. Keep your nipple area moist as the most damage is done when they get dry so use the multi man or lansinoh after every feed.

A was latched on constantly when she was born and I think her brother was pretty much the same.

Definitely get the latch checked and corrected. The multi mam compresses are expensive but worth it. You can reuse them and I yes to keep them on the breast for the whole day. Keep your nipple area moist as the most damage is done when they get dry so use the multi man or lansinoh after every feed.

The nurse sorted it and I am going to request to speak with the lactation consultant so I get the best possible whack at it. If it goes wrong then stuff happens, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

I am pleasantly surprised, there are 6 women in this room and 3 of us a bring. Last time I was in a ward of nine and I was the only attemptee.

That's great latch is sorted: I hope the LC made it up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Can I ask you what sling you got? I'm on the lookout for a sling for BF and for using for going out on walks. I'm thinking of the Moby sling but not sure.

I fed my little one in the JPMBB until she was about 16 months. If you're going for a stetchy, I'd definitely go for one of them rather than a Moby, as they grow out of the Moby at about 6 months. Never tried feeding her in any of my other slings, I used a connecta & scootababy when I was out & about when she was older, but she usually wasn't due a feed at those times, or if she was I'd just go to a cafe or something. The JPMBB was a lifesaver after work when I had to cook dinner & I had a baby climbing my legs wanted to be fed or cuddled. Only got it when she was about 2 months old, but hopefully will use it from newborn this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

cyning wrote: »

I second the multimam, the balm is amazing - I got cracked nipples and it healed them up in a day or so.

My man is nearly 5 weeks old and he was the same in the beginning - 4 hours between feeds, and then a sleepy feeder, I was so worried but he sorted himself out in about 2 days and then it was every 2 hours (still is).

I have been feeding her what almost feels like non-stop since yesterday. Both of my breasts have great supply but both are in bits. The nurses are so busy running around no one has even looked sideways at us. I am actually frightened of her latch now. Using cream but when I put it on she always seems to be hungry again.

I have been feeding her what almost feels like non-stop since yesterday. Both of my breasts have great supply but both are in bits. The nurses are so busy running around no one has even looked sideways at us. I am actually frightened of her latch now. Using cream but when I put it on she always seems to be hungry again.

Has the lc been to see you? The constant feeding is completely normal: it's her way of building up enough supply. It's completely draining and frustrating but it is normal.

I had this problem with C too: I came home with two bruised and badly cracked nipples so I know the horrid horrid pain. Can you try laid back breastfeeding? If you lie down and put babs on you they will automatically root to find your nipple. C used get a much deeper latch that way.

Start calling the nurses too: ring every time you need help to latch her on. Busy or not they should be helping you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Call the nurses when you need help, you and your baby are just as important as everyone else and don't forget that :)

This was the position the LC showed me and I still use it. It's the cradle hold.

If latching the baby onto left side, hold her lengthways, her tummy sideways against your tummy, with your right hand and arm. Then with your left hand take your breast, pinch a large amount above areola between thumb and forefinger. Tease the baby with the nipple so she leans her head back. The nipple and areola should be sitting on her upper lip and fold them back and put all the pinched breast into her mouth. She'll have quite a mouthful!

You need to keep her, tummy against your tummy, so your right hand and arm are carrying his weight. That way she shouldn't be pulling on the breast and youre not chasing her with the breast. You can be quite forceful too as the baby doesn't know how to latch on so you need to help her learn.

I never really got the laid back breastfeeding and the cradle hold is the one I do best even now. I hope that makes some sort of sense to you. Also remember to keep the nipple area moist so lanolin or multi mam after every feed and in between if you think they're getting dry.

It's disgraceful that you're left to your own devices to figure this out. No wonder so many women give up.

Have you tried nipple shields? Mine were cracked too and very sore and these helped. Just not the Tomee Tippee ones, I found them still very sore. I have the Avent and mothercare brand ones and I found the mothercare ones give the best protection from soreness.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I rang nurses every feed the first few days to help me latch the boys on as I just couldn't get the hang of it. Don't worry that they're busy, you are just as important as any other woman there. They don't mind (and who cares if they do!) and it only takes them a minute to help.

And insist LC comes to see you.

I found multimam balm brilliant too.

You're doing great :)

I'm thinking my breast feeding days may be numbered :( my boy's reflux is getting worse after it was in the mend. I spend so long feeding, winding, cleaning up spew and comforting him that I've so little time to sleep between feeds. I'm exhausted. I'm over at my mum's getting some rest. I'm struggling to provide enough for him without exhausting myself (and I've a good supply) because he's such a hungry baby and pukes much of it up.

It was so bad last night I lost the ability to distinguish dreams from reality. I kept waking up looking frantically in the bed for the baby, totally freaking out before realising I'd only dreamed I'd picked him up and he was still in his crib. Spent the morning walking around Dundrum in tears, just to get out of the house but I was in a daze.

I'm seeing the paediatrician on Monday so I'm going to talk to her about what we can do. I'm so upset about it all, I want to keep feeding him but it's getting so hard. My mum was saying if I do switch I breastfed him for 6 weeks which is better than nothing. I don't know - I just feel completely helpless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Oh Murdy you poor thing. Did you say your baby is 6weeks old? They have a growth spurt around then. If he's gaining weight then dont worry about the puking. My little fella still pukes but not as bad as it was when he was 6 or 7 weeks old. He grew out of the reflux after a couple of weeks.

Breastmilk is easier to digest than formula so i dont think changing going to make a difference. Have you tried cutting out dairy?

When i found things were tough i expressed some milk so my husband could do some feeds and i could get a couple of proper nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Oh Murdy you poor thing. Did you say your baby is 6weeks old? They have a growth spurt around then. If he's gaining weight then dont worry about the puking. My little fella still pukes but not as bad as it was when he was 6 or 7 weeks old. He grew out of the reflux after a couple of weeks.

Breastmilk is easier to digest than formula so i dont think changing going to make a difference. Have you tried cutting out dairy?

When i found things were tough i expressed some milk so my husband could do some feeds and i could get a couple of proper nights sleep.

• Advertisement

It could be the 6 week growth spurt. I found that one the worst on both babies. I was traumatised after going through it with O.

Re the reflux, breastmilk is much better for them than formula as its lighter snd much easier to digest. Could you get in touch with a la Leche league or Cuidiu leader in your area and have a chat with them about the problems you're going through.

For what it's worth both mine spat up a lot in the early weeks. Some days it was constant and I'd wonder if there was anything left but it didn't bother them in the slightest. A certain amount of excessive spitting up is normal.

By the way, and you might find it hard to believe right now, breastfeeding is about to get so much easier for you. Up to 6 weeks is by far the toughest stage.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm thinking my breast feeding days may be numbered :( my boy's reflux is getting worse after it was in the mend. I spend so long feeding, winding, cleaning up spew and comforting him that I've so little time to sleep between feeds. I'm exhausted. I'm over at my mum's getting some rest. I'm struggling to provide enough for him without exhausting myself (and I've a good supply) because he's such a hungry baby and pukes much of it up.

It was so bad last night I lost the ability to distinguish dreams from reality. I kept waking up looking frantically in the bed for the baby, totally freaking out before realising I'd only dreamed I'd picked him up and he was still in his crib. Spent the morning walking around Dundrum in tears, just to get out of the house but I was in a daze.

I'm seeing the paediatrician on Monday so I'm going to talk to her about what we can do. I'm so upset about it all, I want to keep feeding him but it's getting so hard. My mum was saying if I do switch I breastfed him for 6 weeks which is better than nothing. I don't know - I just feel completely helpless :(

Oh Murdy. That sounds miserable. Anyone you can rope in to do the winding, cleaning up spew, comforting him so you can get a little rest? Could you literally just feed and hand him to someone until he feeds again? Even just for a couple of days? Could your hubby take a day or two off work to help?

6 weeks is absolutely brilliant especially with all you've had to deal with but if you can stick with it it is likely to get better. I found the 6 week mark a nightmare trying to feed the two. They didn't have reflux but wanted to feed non stop and I was exhausted, starving and totally fed up.

I had those dreams (nightmares) too, woken up with a shudder thinking I'm squashing a baby or one has fallen off the bed.

I don't know if bottles would be any easier? You'd still have the winding, spew etc. and possibly other issues with baby digesting formula. Then theres all the sterilising...I know many times I've wanted to give up bf because it has been really hard but lately I can see how useful it is. If one of my babies is upset often the only thing that calms them is a few mins on the boob. They've gotten faster at feeding, used to take an hour for each feed now it can sonetimes just be 15 mins. They're sleeping a little longer between feeds (well one is) and so I'm getting a little more sleep. I just kept telling myself just get through today.

Whatever you decide I hope it improves for you and baby soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

A lot of people seem to be using the Multimam cream. I have two tubs of Lahinsoh for when I'll be breastfeeding. Does anyone recommend it?

The multi mam compresses are far better. I used lansinoh the first time around and I only bought one pack of compresses this time but the difference is amazing in the first few days. I used lansinoh for the first few weeks once my nipples had healed. I know they've got multi mam balm but like you I had loads of the lansinoh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi murdy, I only breastfed for 6 weeks and stopped as my baby's reflux was so bad and he seemed better on formula. Every baby is different but my experience was that the reflux continued even on formula and I was still exhausted from being up half the night with him. The inability to distinguish dreams from reality was commonplace with me and I too used to wake up panicking thinking if fallen asleep and dropped the baby! Our baby needed medication (in our case Zantac) and that was the only thing that gave him relief. In the end, I could have continued breastfeeding as the formula didn't make too much difference. Try again with your gp before you give up bfeeding.

In relation to multimams, I found them excellent and, when used in time, they prevented my nipples ever becoming badly chapped. They're expensive but better than lanisoh I though.

Breasts are on fire. Seriously only one nurse on the ward at any time all day dealing with the louder women as opposed to the more needy (and I am not even including me in that) but finally getting some help. A nurse helped me hand express enough to feed her until 12. Nipples doused in cream and exposed so they can heal. They will get somewhere but nowhere near as healed as they need to.be, but she says she will help me through the night together a proper latch and there us a clinic for bf on Wednesday here to help me too. No sign of a single doc all day let alone a LC. Welcome to the HSE, where feeding processed milk is more ecouraged than the most natural way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Breasts are on fire. Seriously only one nurse on the ward at any time all day dealing with the louder women as opposed to the more needy (and I am not even including me in that) but finally getting some help. A nurse helped me hand express enough to feed her until 12. Nipples doused in cream and exposed so they can heal. They will get somewhere but nowhere near as healed as they need to.be, but she says she will help me through the night together a proper latch and there us a clinic for bf on Wednesday here to help me too. No sign of a single doc all day let alone a LC. Welcome to the HSE, where feeding processed milk is more ecouraged than the most natural way

I'm so sorry you're not getting the support you need from the hospital staff. I would just keep ringing the bell and requesting a LC to visit you. Pain and cracked nipples could be coming from a poor latch or tounge and/or lip tie, both of which can be easily enough remedied. Have you got a contact number for a BFC in cuidiu or LLL? What hospital are you in?

Bloody HSE. Just keep ringing that bell!! Hope the bf clinic helps tomorrow. Best of luck tonight.

• Advertisement

A lot of people seem to be using the Multimam cream. I have two tubs of Lahinsoh for when I'll be breastfeeding. Does anyone recommend it?

I had loads of lahinsoh but a friend gave me the multimam balm and compresses. I found multimam balm way more effective. Didn't use the compresses much but they were very soothing when I did use them.

Advertisement