Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thanks for the advice ladies, my husband ratted me out to my mum who arrived promptly and made me go to bed! Things always look better with some sleep.

I know breast milk will help the reflux so I'll keep going but if there are more nights like last night we'll have to supplement with formula. He basically sucked me dry and I just couldn't feed him anymore. There was just no time to sleep between feeds. he was 5 weeks yesterday so not sure if it is the 6 week growth spurt. Hubby and I have discussed how to manage bad nights so we'll see how we go. He had his bcg yesterday so not sure if that affected him.

It's just hard work and I'm not god at coping with no sleep!

Re the nipple cream I use lansinoh regularly and save the multimam compresses for when it's really bad. I find both useful but the multimam is more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Hang in there Murdy it gets easier i promise. If you read back through this thread you'll see almost everyone has come through similar problems so dont ever feel like you re on your own :-)

He could be having a wonder week and dont forget your little man may not always be hungry. The boob is also a source of comfort and security in his ever changing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

No sleep is rotten. I can't function. I'm getting some sleep these nights which just leaves me wanting more...!! My mother kindly told me earlier that I'm going to be wrecked for the next two years. Eh thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Waiting for the nurse who said she would help to magically reappear. I get she has breaks and the like, but why Say you will help and never turn up, i spent the last 30 min google searching latching, but honestly with all the pain I am already in, how am I supposed to know If I am doing it wrong this time? It is so frustrating I just want to curl up and cry. All the HSE sites and info says any questions consult your LC or midwife. What'd they think I have been trying to do with 3 days. I really just want to change to formula, get her and go home. Sick of this hospital.

I think another issue I have is how small she is. I cannot reiterate how dainty she is,but still sturdy sized. Idont think her little mouth would ever fit a shield.

Okay. A good hysterical cry, some random ranting and a lovely foreign nurse later and I finally for some support from the medical staff. I feel a lot better And so does S. She has a small mouth, but we'll get there and she has a blister on her Tongue too, so both of us were in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Great you've finally got some help. Hope feeding gets a little easier for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hang In there wolfpawnat your doing great! It's awful you have to fight against the system! Your tired and weak after having a baby and then have to begin this battle, it really is pathetic the lack of help you received! Glad u got some attention tonight - you do have to demand the support! If you can stick with it - it really does get easier- your gorgeous baba will grow and learn how to feed and you'll be delighted by how convenient it is!

On lansinoh - found it fab!! A little goes a long way tho!! I also used the compresses all day for 2 weeks. Helped reduce the pain. Both times I had lots of cracking and bleeding ... After 2 weeks it just vanished!!

Oh ladies, it was the 24 hours from hell. They never gave me any meds at all yesterday, not even a panadol, I had been on morphine and everything before, so I went from fully medicated to nothing, add ignored by all medical staff and an angry baby and I felt like packing it all in. Seriously the nurse came round with bottles and I was so tempted. But I didn't. My cholestrum is now lovely thick creamy milk and she loves it. The look on her face when he sucked and noticed the difference, it was amazing.

The nurse who helped me in the end was amazing, she gave me all these little tips and explained everything and when things went wrong she just sat more comfy on the bed next to me and worked through it with me. I feel like she saved me from quitting. It's amazing, the other person to help was a polish mum across from me. It was she who lost patience and called the polish nurse and explained everything to her. apparently in Poland to not breastfeed is frowned upon, they cannot get over how it is here. I really feel amazing this morning. Every suck she takes makes me feel so much better with her. I bonded with her so fast. I think the BF has made all the difference. I pray I can keep it up.

My OH has been nothing but a great support too. He really wanted me to BF bit doesn't want to pressure me about it, it makes it even better knowing he is supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Jesus Wolfpawnat what a horrible experience. That's an absolute disgrace that you were left so long and were allowed to get that sore.

You are amazing for keeping it going and being so determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's an absolute disgrace and really goes to show the hse just pay lip service to promoting breastfeeding.

When you feel up to it, in a few weeks from now, you should drop Siobhan Hourigan, the hse breastfeeding coordinator, an email. She's really got an uphill battle but she's on the side of mums.

siobhan.hourigan@hse.ie

We need to complain about this appalling situation if there's any hope that things will change.

I'm so glad you finally got some help and support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Great Wolpawnat :) help and support while breastfeeding is so important. They say that there is a solution to every problem you just need to seek help. I had a hard start but now at 6.5 months I can't be happier that I continued.
    You are doing a great job, hang on there mama :)

I was in Holles st and had quite a bit of help with breastfeeding. There were 2/3 midwifes for 6 of us so they were able to spend a bit of time with me every so often. I was quite impressed with the care I received there actually. Sorry you're not having the same experience :(

hope you get home soon. What health clinic are you with? My local one has a lactation consultant and the phn arranged for her to come to me. It was loads of help, especially being in my own home. She gave me her mobile number too to get in touch with her whenever you want. She might be the lactation consultant in your area too as we're so close to each other so I can pm you her number. If you ever need anything dropped into you or a lift to Tesco/lidl to stock up on groceries let me know anyway, I have the car and am out and about in it a bit with my little man and I'm only ten mins from you.

We had a much better night last night. I fed him at 11.30pm, 3am and 5.30am which is pretty good. I was awake a good bit after each feed settling him but at least it was being awake in chunks unlike the night before, when I was getting 15-30 mins of sleep at a time. We got a sleep positioner to help keep him propped up in his crib and he slept there all night which he hasn't done since the reflux started. He hardky spat up at all so wad able to go back asleep after being fed instead of puking it up and needing to be fed soon after. So - feeling a lot better today :)

No idea why last night was ok, I just can't see a reason sometimes why some nights are particularly bad and some are ok. It's hard to know if changes you make are actually helpful or it's just luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh wolfpawnpat I'm so glad your getting the help you need now, but so angry for you not to be getting the help you needed :(

Murdy it really does start getting easier: I know it doesn't seem that way but it does.

I didn't find out about the multi mam until after I ended up on shields so I only used lansinoh: next time....

And on that note.... I'm 8 weeks pregnant (well dates wise anyway and hosp are leaving it at those dates for now) sick as a dog, but not as sick as I was with C ;) breastfeeding is both a blessing and a curse with severe morning sickness! Fingers crossed I don't end up in hosp like last time :)

You know the saying one step forward two steps back. Was getting checks done today as they were considering letting me home today. Her weight was done yesterday and she had lost 8% over the few days (normal for a bf baby) well the nurse noted she did not each much last night and weighed her again and it went up to 10% and she said she would have to stay tonight. I said fine we'll stay she had not eaten well last night and I as hoping to get another good night of assistance into us before getting home.

She told me to cut out the breast milk and go onto formula immediately that she needs to bulk up and breast milk doesn't do it as fast or effectively. I said no I wanted to bf and she dismissed me, saying "well you can express later i suppose" and landed bottles of formula in front of me and walked off. Like hell am I giving up after all my work. And I have to keep feeding to keep up my supply. The OH is on a warpath after my emotional night last night and my elation this morning.

Can I report her for this? I mean I get suggesting short term supplementing, that is not ideal but understandable, but dismissing breast milk completely? After one crap night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You know the saying one step forward two steps back. Was getting checks done today as they were considering letting me home today. Her weight was done yesterday and she had lost 8% over the few days (normal for a bf baby) well the nurse noted she did not each much last night and weighed her again and it went up to 10% and she said she would have to stay tonight. I said fine we'll stay she had not eaten well last night and I as hoping to get another good night of assistance into us before getting home. She told mento cut out the breast milk and go onto formula immediately that she needs to bulk up and breast milk doesn't do it as fast or effectively. I said no I wanted to bf and she dismissed me, saying wrll you csn express later i suppose and landed bottles of formula in front of me and walked off. Like hell am I giving up after all my work. And I have to keep feeding to keep up
    My su

What an ignorant woman. :@ Ask to see the lc and pediatrician asap. as far as i know baby can lose upto 15% birth weight before it is a medical issue. Also if you were on a drip during the birth that can cause the baby to be heavier and the weight at birth is not necessarily accurate. If they ask to know what she is getting ask them to weigh nappies if needs be! argh :( if you do feel happier that they see what she is getting to pump and spoon or cup feed to avoid nipple confusion. great links on kellymom and Dr jack Newman sites xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

You know the saying one step forward two steps back. Was getting checks done today as they were considering letting me home today. Her weight was done yesterday and she had lost 8% over the few days (normal for a bf baby) well the nurse noted she did not each much last night and weighed her again and it went up to 10% and she said she would have to stay tonight. I said fine we'll stay she had not eaten well last night and I as hoping to get another good night of assistance into us before getting home. She told mento cut out the breast milk and go onto formula immediately that she needs to bulk up and breast milk doesn't do it as fast or effectively. I said no I wanted to bf and she dismissed me, saying wrll you csn express later i suppose and landed bottles of formula in front of me and walked off. Like hell am I giving up after all my work. And I have to keep feeding to keep up
    My su

Oh my god that is beyond terrible wolf. You stay strong, you are doing great, getting your latch sorted and your little one is feeding. Ignore her. Better still report her. I am shocked at the lack of support you are getting but admire you so much for persevering. I thought things might have changed in the 15 years since I had my daughter but I guess not. At least now I know not to expect too much when I go in to have this little one. Stay strong. (And well done for not throwing it at her!!!!)

Just stick with it! Ignore her - there's loads of help available and it'll be worth sticking with. Most babies lose that much weight because of the meconium. Can you give a small amount of formula? In the hosp when I was having trouble they suggested just giving him 10mls of formula to keep him satusfied and then hand expressing the colostrum to keep my supply up. They showed me how to do it but there's stuff online about it,

That's just so awful though :(

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Can you give a small amount of formula? In the hosp when I was having trouble they suggested just giving him 10mls of formula

The girls last night said that to me. Feed her as much as I can myself and if she is still hungry finish with a few mls to top up or perhaps to aid nipple recovery sub one feeding with a bottle at night. But this cow was suggesting getting rid of it and exclusively bottle feeding. Even the idea of expressing seemed laughable to her.

My milk is coming in, my boobs are heavy with everything she will ever need. The best of both. Cholestrum and milk combined. She is so happy here on me lying on a pillow sucking away. The doc agreed with me. Feed constantly, every 90 min or 2 hours and top up only if necessary. There is no point in artificially raising her weight. Get it up naturally and healthily.

The girls last night said that to me. Feed her as much as I can myself and if she is still hungry finish with a few mls to top up or perhaps to aid nipple recovery sub one feeding with a bottle at night. But this cow was suggesting getting rid of it and exclusively bottle feeding. Even the idea of expressing seemed laughable to her.

My milk is coming in, my boobs are heavy with everything she will ever need. The best of both. Cholestrum and milk combined. She is so happy here on me lying on a pillow sucking away. The doc agreed with me. Feed constantly, every 90 min or 2 hours and top up only if necessary. There is no point in artificially raising her weight. Get it up naturally and healthily.

Well, if she's happy that's the main thing, sure she'd let you know if she was really hungry and not getting enough. At least you know you can give a small bit of formula if absolutely necessary. I only had to do it three times with J, once myself from a bottle and twice the midwife gave him a 10ml cup feed so as not to interfere with his latch. Sounds line you're doing a great job anyway :)

I'm sitting here giggling away to myself, J just had a massive feed. I was winding him and he did the most ginormous burp. I don't know how such a big sounds could have come out of something so small! :D

Oh wolf this is going from bad to worse for you. 10% weight loss is well within the normal range and as a breastfed baby she has up to 21 days to regain her birth weight. Colostrum is like a superfood but it won't make them put on weight. You say your milk is coming in today so feed feed feed. You don't need to supplement with formula as there's no medical reason to do do. There's a whole natural process at work and you're doing exactly what you should be.

I just can't believe the treatment you're receiving. Stick with it because you're doing a fantastic job despite the deplorable support.

If you feel you have to give formula then only give 5ml using a cup feeder, syringe or spoon and insist that one of the midwives assist you doing this.

Id suggest you look up or Friends of breastfeeding and ring one of the counsellors in your area. I'd personally recommend Sue Jameson, she's fantastic, and was so good to me in those early days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Oh ny god that's shocking!!! What a stupid woman! You stay strong you're doing amazing at such a difficult time!! Tell her your going to report her - that might change her attitude - and tell her how helpful the other girl was! Ridiculous!!!

It is great to just come on here and rant about her. She seems to just jar something against breast milk. She made comments to a mum with a baby in neonates about wasting her time with expressing. Her little girl needs her milk even more. She is with the bottle feeding mums feeding their babies and talking to them, ignoring us bf mums.

I Don't care. My daughter is better off and if there is need I know I can supplement, I wouldn't be ashamed to as it would be MY choice to do so, but not some nurse with a clear agenda.

Hell if a doc told me to combine or discontinue I would listen and consider but not when the midwife last night and the other mum sat With me while I sobbed as I broke through the pain and stress. My righ breast is still a bit sore, but we have worked on the latch and the sleepy miss next to me shows I am doing it right.

I have a friend who is 100% breast is best only. A right au natural mam. I wish she lived in Dublin. I would set her on the midwife. I mean set her on, she'd be worse than a vicious dog!

This is from kellymom
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

It could seem to correlate with your bad start to breastfeeding. If that midwife comes back to you again ask for the LC as you want to breastfeed and you need support to continue to do so.

Another re weight loss
    http://www.lactationconsultant.info/neowtloss.html

From Dr Jack Newman
    http://www.canadianbreastfeedingfoundation.org/basics/weight_loss.shtml

You need to see an LC today to make sure the latch is correct for optimal milk transfer. That's the bottom line for this weight loss issue. Then just keep her beside you all day, doing lots of skin to skin, and feed constantly. Even with a bad latch she'll regain some weight in 24 hours if you feed constantly.

Stick with it, you're doing a fantastic job and that little baby is one lucky girl to have such a determined mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi there,

I have just seen your last 2 posts, and just wanted to say that my LO also lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning (was early transfer home so wasn't weighed after 3 days just something like 1.5 days, proportionally probably even more than 10%), my milk was slow to come in, baby crying, so it was very very discouraging at the beginning. I hope you get to see a LC - by the time I got one to come over, my milk made appearance and it was all sorted. Keep working away, it is the nicest thing ever - now I came to boards to ask for advice on how to handle returning to work after 10.5 months of bfing.
    Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi,

just need some advice on returning to work. My LO is 9.5 months, and was ebf till 6 months, has been on solids + bf since then. Just had his 9-month checkup, paed. very happy with weight and overall development. The thing is that I am going back to work in 4 weeks' time, with D going to creche for 4 days a week. and don't really know how to handle his feeding. Currently he nurses after his two naps (1 morning + 1 pm), 1x before bedtime and 2-4 times at night :o... I plan on continue to feed him when I don't work, ie pre bedtime, and at night, possibly during the 3 days I don' work.

Now I have tried expressing but it just doesn't work for me. I have offered him formula a couple of times, and while he loves drinking water from his cup, he only took a couple of sips of formula. The paed seemed to suggest to wean him completely which I will not. What shall I do? Does he need these 2x feeds during the day as formula? then I guess I better start weaning him off these post-nap feeds. Or are the bf sessions he gets at night/evening enough for his dvpt? He will be 10.5 months by the time he starts the 4-day creche.
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Wolfpawnat - have you managed to see a LC yet? If not, what hospital are you in & I'll try get some numbers for you. Feck them all with topping up - if your milk is just in, why would you do that.

The baby won't have a virgin gut once you introduce formula, so if the baby & you are happy out, then why do that? Don't mind that witch of a nurse & fair play to you for standing up to her. I'd report her as soon as possible, is it not a breastfeeding friendly hospital or something? When I had my daughter in the Rotunda in 2011, once I mentioned breastfeeding, no one came near me with formula again. If anything they should be suggesting that you hire a hospital grade pump, not trying to dismiss your great efforts.

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi,

just need some advice on returning to work. My LO is 9.5 months, and was ebf till 6 months, has been on solids + bf since then. Just had his 9-month checkup, paed. very happy with weight and overall development. The thing is that I am going back to work in 4 weeks' time, with D going to creche for 4 days a week. and don't really know how to handle his feeding. Currently he nurses after his two naps (1 morning + 1 pm), 1x before bedtime and 2-4 times at night :o... I plan on continue to feed him when I don't work, ie pre bedtime, and at night, possibly during the 3 days I don' work.

Now I have tried expressing but it just doesn't work for me. I have offered him formula a couple of times, and while he loves drinking water from his cup, he only took a couple of sips of formula. The paed seemed to suggest to wean him completely which I will not. What shall I do? Does he need these 2x feeds during the day as formula? then I guess I better start weaning him off these post-nap feeds. Or are the bf sessions he gets at night/evening enough for his dvpt? He will be 10.5 months by the time he starts the 4-day creche.
    thanks in advance

I went back when my daughter was 10 months. Initially I was pumping & leaving milk for her, but tbh she didn't really take to bottles or expressed milk that much, so by the time she was 11 months I gave up & she just had water during the 4 days I worked. At 12 months I started giving her some cows milk as well. Don't bother weaning off naps etc. They quickly learn to adapt when mammy isn't there. My little one is minded for 2 days by my mam & 2 days by my sister in law & both have ways to get her to sleep. My mam just rocks her & she falls asleep really quickly, my sister in law either brings her in the car or in the buggy & she's gone.

For me for a while I carried on feeding to sleep for naps on the 3 days I was off, but slowly got rid of them. She's now 21 months & I've got her down to a feed going to bed & 1 getting up in the morning (but sometimes she doesn't ask for that one). I'm 23 weeks pregnant, hence why I'm cutting down. There's no need to wean going back to work, as usual another paed with bad advice. I'd suggest to your paed that the HSE & WHO recommend feeding until 2, so why would you wean early unless it was something you wanted to do personally?

I continued breastfeeding when I went back to work and O was 6.5 months. It was a bit of an experiment but it worked out fine. He had water from a sippy cup during the day and he was fed on demand from 5pm to 7am which was probably 4-5 feeds.

I'd suggest you try to do this too. I thought he'd go crazy feeding at night and at weekends but he adjusted very quickly and it was no trouble at all. I just didn't want to introduce formula or bottles at such a late stage and in hindsight I saw we didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Wolf- can't believe that is happening in this day and age. Hope things go better for you.
    Multimam is the business - used it with my last baby and again now, no problems at all. it actually healed a crack in a few days and we haven't looked back.

Murdy you're doing fine and whatever you decide to do please just remember to look after yourself and I mean your sanity aswell. I feel for you, that sounds so tough. But if you don't look after yourself who will look after him?

On a side note, I feel like an extra from a porn film, my nipples are constantly sticking up and it shows through, fine for those who know about the baby and the breastfeeding, otherwise I feel a bit self conscious. (I know the pads help but they don't feel too good on and the last thing I need is to have a bigger boob situation!)

• Advertisement

aknitter wrote: »
    On a side note, I feel like an extra from a porn film, my nipples are constantly sticking up and it shows through, fine for those who know about the baby and the breastfeeding, otherwise I feel a bit self conscious. (I know the pads help but they don't feel too good on and the last thing I need is to have a bigger boob situation!)

haha, my little one is 21 months & I still have that problem. I haven't used breast pads in a year I'd say & still wear breastfeeding bras, so god knows what others think!

Advertisement