Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

I continued breastfeeding when I went back to work and O was 6.5 months. It was a bit of an experiment but it worked out fine. He had water from a sippy cup during the day and he was fed on demand from 5pm to 7am which was probably 4-5 feeds.

I'd suggest you try to do this too. I thought he'd go crazy feeding at night and at weekends but he adjusted very quickly and it was no trouble at all. I just didn't want to introduce formula or bottles at such a late stage and in hindsight I saw we didn't need to.

100% agree with this - exactly whats going on in my house at mo. Love that baby feels so secure to be back with comforting boobie milk when I return!

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Wolfpawnat - have you managed to see a LC yet? If not, what hospital are you in & I'll try get some numbers for you. Feck them all with topping up - if your milk is just in, why would you do that.

The baby won't have a virgin gut once you introduce formula, so if the baby & you are happy out, then why do that? Don't mind that witch of a nurse & fair play to you for standing up to her. I'd report her as soon as possible, is it not a breastfeeding friendly hospital or something? When I had my daughter in the Rotunda in 2011, once I mentioned breastfeeding, no one came near me with formula again. If anything they should be suggesting that you hire a hospital grade pump, not trying to dismiss your great efforts.

I second this! I cannot get over the way you are being treated Wolf. Much respect to you for keeping your wits about ya! Imagine how many mothers that midwife has intimidated into formula. . .. . .its heartbreaking. HAve you seen the LC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I went back when my daughter was 10 months. Initially I was pumping & leaving milk for her, but tbh she didn't really take to bottles or expressed milk that much, so by the time she was 11 months I gave up & she just had water during the 4 days I worked. At 12 months I started giving her some cows milk as well. Don't bother weaning off naps etc. They quickly learn to adapt when mammy isn't there. My little one is minded for 2 days by my mam & 2 days by my sister in law & both have ways to get her to sleep. My mam just rocks her & she falls asleep really quickly, my sister in law either brings her in the car or in the buggy & she's gone.

For me for a while I carried on feeding to sleep for naps on the 3 days I was off, but slowly got rid of them. She's now 21 months & I've got her down to a feed going to bed & 1 getting up in the morning (but sometimes she doesn't ask for that one). I'm 23 weeks pregnant, hence why I'm cutting down. There's no need to wean going back to work, as usual another paed with bad advice. I'd suggest to your paed that the HSE & WHO recommend feeding until 2, so why would you wean early unless it was something you wanted to do personally?
    I managed to talk to a Ciudiu (sorry about spelling, probably wrong!) bf advisor and got the same advice, almost word for word, incl paed. and HSE. That's brilliant, makes me feel so much better. We both love bf and was dreading weaning, so it's good to know there are ways around it. Where I come from, most mums breastfeed, and my friends have continued well into 2nd year (basically till baby self weaned), but wouldn't know about returning to work + bf as they are lucky enough to stay at home longer.... Best of luck with your pregnancy btw!!

I continued breastfeeding when I went back to work and O was 6.5 months. It was a bit of an experiment but it worked out fine. He had water from a sippy cup during the day and he was fed on demand from 5pm to 7am which was probably 4-5 feeds.

I'd suggest you try to do this too. I thought he'd go crazy feeding at night and at weekends but he adjusted very quickly and it was no trouble at all. I just didn't want to introduce formula or bottles at such a late stage and in hindsight I saw we didn't need to.
    Thanks sounds like that's what will happen. Just hoping he will sleep OKish through the night... He wakes 3-4 times, but goes back to sleep relatively easily most nights.... Hah.
    Anyhow he doesn't know how drink from a bottle, would have to be in a cup or sth. Now I just need to convince the creche...

Don't worry about the creche they have to go with your wishes! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hello ladies. Was with her there for a while (the LC) she was lovely. All encouragement and support. My milk is in and she is delighted with the size of my supply. I just have flat nipples so a little more work but not the worst, she showed me a new position (rugby one) and little S fed for 45 min straight off one side alone.

The nurse came over after I came back from seeing the LC and I was feeding lying down with my partner there. She demanded to know had I fed her formula. I said no as I was clearly feeding her myself and she stormed off. She came over to me in the hall earlier when I was talking to the LC and stood next to us for a minute glaring at me. And earlier another paediatrician came to check S because of her weight loss and when I explained the situation last night age signed off that everything was clearly okay just to continue bf and that nurse demanded to know what doc it was.

She is being horrible to the other bf mum in the room too, giving out to her about her daughters weight loss too. Seriously she needs to be checked by the INMO clearly her qualification is not to Irish standard. Our are bad as my last 24 hours showed, but hers are completely unacceptable.

She won't even give me a cup to express into as my breasts are too full. Waste of good milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd email Siobhan Hourigan this evening about that midwife. She clearly needs to be retrained. That's completely unacceptable.

Well done on meeting with the LC.

Good news wolf, well done! At least the doctors and LC are on your side so there is nothing she can say. You have the right to ask for someone else to examine you etc. if she is makign you feel that uncomfortable - who is the duty nurse on charge? I know you probably don't need to be "fighting" with anyone at the moment but maybe your OH can have a word with the other nurses?

I am going to feed herself again in a min then I am drafting my email with the OH when he gets back from his cup of tea HS. She is a disgrace.

As I said. I think she is sponsored by sma. The other bf mum subs one feed a day with formula. She bf-ed her son that way for 17 months so she knows herself what works for her. Nope not good enough, she landed several bottles in front of her too telling her to feed up her daughter. Her shift end cannot come quick enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm so furious for you. That midwife is ridiculous I hope you don't have to meet her again. I'm glad you got to meet LC too... What a horrible horrible experience for you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

jesus thats unreal what a wagon. Keep on with what your doing. Baby is feeding and your both happy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would demand to speak to the sister/ward manager Wolfpawnat. Her attitude (irrespective of the BF issue) is downright rude and bullying behaviour.

And make it clear that you will complain to everyone and anyone that you have to, to ensure that the next new mother wont be bullied into something thats against her wishes when she is sore and tired and second-guessing herself with her brand new baby. Particularly when the "nurse" is unsupportive and rude to a vunerable woman.

I'm shocked. What a dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wow Wolfpawnat, I have to say I think you are doing great to be able to stand up to her. What an utter disgrace that she is treating you like this!

Complained her to the ward sister a while ago. I rationally stated that I understood that combined feeding is recommended when 10% bw is lost but she was not recommending combined but rather formula only.

And that i suffered horrifically last night and worked hard with my daughter to sort ourselves and that of course formula is easily and more convenient in a hospital setting and I would not have to deal with the pain of learning to bf but I had chosen it and that her hospital insisted it has a bf friendly policy and she was going against said policy. The sister was appalled as they recommend short term combined to assist weight gain and definitely not giving up. So hopefully I won't see the witch tomorrow before I leave. I am leaking like a fosset here they are so big now I have trouble typing under them I am actually leaning on them. I am leaking everywhere too so off to relieve myself now so I can give her a nice big meal on half an hour. So happy with all my work. Organising myself for to see what is on near me too when I get out of here. I need the support. I am so grateful that harpy was not on last night, she would have destroyed everything.

My partner was here today saying over and over it was my choice to feed her or not and that she had had the cholestrum so it was okay if I wanted to quit. When I said I wanted to feed her myself he just nodded and started an official email on his phone to the hospital for the stress the cow put on me. He went to town on her quoting hospital policy, breast feeding recommendations from all major groups and the HSE official line on bf and how he would not rest until I got an official apology if j wanted it. Nobody annoys him and gets away with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Haven't read all the relies but wolfpawnat I can't believe that midwife. That's an absolute disgrace. You are doing AMAZING sticking to you guns, huge huge huge well done.
    I'd recommend using 'your service, your say' as an avenue for complaints to the hse about the midwife.

I posted in the pregnancy thread before but I'd also hugely recommend the friends of breastfeeding buddy system for all bfeeders to be and new bfeeders in west Dublin, just to have that extra bit of support or someone to root out the extension number of the hospital lc for you. It's not fair to have to fight these battles just after having your baby!

Murdy, hope you're feeling better. Do you co sleep at all? I found that made bfing do much easier, especially during the night, once I figured out how to feed lying down.

Also www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/support for info on various supports.

I am in south Dublin, there does not seem to be any official groups near me, but I will be making sure to find out what is nearby.

I love the lying down position personally and the midwives never say anything about us cosleeping even though some frown on it. I hate using any other position, but I have to learn them because obviously I can't just lie down with her just anywhere. Tempting as it is.

cuidiu Dublin south west have breastfeeding support groups every Wednesday morning 1030-1230 in breastfeeding counsellors homes, www.cuidiudsw.ie has the addresses of where it's being held.
    la leche league dodder valley or Portobello might be your closest la leche league groups.
    if you're in Dublin south west, friends of breastfeeding have support groups in City West Monday afternoon from 2-4pm, in Tymon Bawn community centre on Tuesday morning from 1030-1230, and in Ballyowen health centre in Lucan on Thursday morning from 11ish to 130pm.

Lie down as often as you can with her! Plenty of time to be figuring it out sitting up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was also going to say cuidiu had bfeeding support groups in people's homes in the area. The LC gave me all the upcoming dates on a leaflet (area is Dublin South East) and gave me phone numbers if the two reps in the area. They will also call to you if you want.

There's also a group called bumps and babies for pregnant women and new mums. I'm going to go to both meetings soon.

At the moment I'm just going to one in the health centre as it's easiest. Phn is there for that one and weighs baby snd makes sure you're ok. There's a health centre in Loughlinstown that prob have a group. I go to one in Dalkey but there's also one in Dun Laoghaire that's popular.

I'm just wondering is this anti-breastfeeding behaviour from nurses going to become more common now that there are a lot more agency midwives working in hospitals - because they are not directly employed by the hospital they might not be properly trained in the breast feeding friendly hospital initiatives?
    As women we deserve better than this!

PS wolf - so delighted that you are doing well today! :-) Hope you get home soon. Try to get to La Leche or Cuidiu meeting as soon as you are out, you'll get wonderful support there! :-)

The LC came back to see me this morning since I complained last night. Asking how we were getting on and being lovely about it all. She took the name Of the nurse and swore she would look into it.

Because of my hard work and perseverence S gained 100g in 24 hours. She was weighed before a feed so it wasn't artificially high or anything. I was expressing last night because of engorgement. 35mls off one just to get it to a size she could latch to and she fed for ages too. And the woman was Dismissing my supply :confused: I dunno. They are overful even after a feed. I can see us having a freezer and fridge stick in no time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Delighted you got sorted & that you've sent in your complaint.

Hope you get home safely now & your breastfeeding journey goes from strength to strength. Find yourself a good group near you & you'll find the support great. I went to my local HSE one on my last baby, but will be aiming to find one in someones house or that you can bring toddlers to when this baby comes along.

Most of the La Leche League/ Cuidiu/ Friends of Breastfeeding support groups will be 100% toddler friendly, there's an increasing number of mums feeding their babies for longer so there's always a few buddies for toddlers around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I expressed about 150ml on Tuesday night. Anyone know how long it'll last in the fridge for (obviously was put straight into the fridge))??

Also, is it too late to freeze it?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

highly1111 wrote: »
    I expressed about 150ml on Tuesday night. Anyone know how long it'll last in the fridge for (obviously was put straight into the fridge))??

Also, is it too late to freeze it?

Thanks

It lasts 3 to 8 days in the fridge - so say a week. You can combine pumped milk too as long as both containers are the same temp (I.e both cold). I got a book out of the library yesterday called the womanly art of breastfeeding by the la leche league. There's a table in it about milk storage so I just looked it up! It doesn't say anything about freezing it immediately so not sure about that. The book is great though - I read loads of it last night (it's a thick book€ and so much of it rang true with how bfeeding is going for us and any problems we 're having. I feel much better after reading if and there were loads of good info in it. I really recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Also have that book. I got it on my kindle and used to read it during the marathon feedings sessions at the start. Id still refer to it 3months on.

Ive left expressed milk in the fridge for a couple of days and then froze it. It has been fine. Make sure you write the date on your freezer bag.

Oh god biting. I might cry my nipples want to fall off she is driving me mad :( and then I feel bad for even saying that. Such horrid pain.

cyning wrote: »
    Oh god biting. I might cry my nipples want to fall off she is driving me mad :( and then I feel bad for even saying that. Such horrid pain.

Oh I feel for you. I only get it once in a while but jeeez the pain!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

cyning wrote: »

Ouch!! That sounds sore!!!

I've frozen milk after a couple of days!

Ya I'm going rooting out pump tomorrow. Noway can I let her keep feeding and biting like that. Just ouch :(

• Advertisement

Cyning, my ds bit me a few times. Turned out he had a stuffy nose. Only lasted a week I think he was around 6mths. When he biting would immediately take him off the boob and say no biting. When he calmed down I'd latch him on again.

Advertisement