Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Damn, I'm working this Friday morning.... Will have to try to make the next one.

Have you booked in for normal antenatal classes in holles st? One of those classes was mostly about breast feeding. They're really pushing it!

I buy the multimam stuff at my local chemist.

aknitter wrote: »
    i got it in my local Boots.

A midwife doing an antenatal class I went to pointed out that we are the only species who willingly give our young the milk of another species....

Breastfeeding this time round is going well (3rd child!) and by now the family are used to the 'hippy' in the midst - even my father is staying the same room as me while I do it!

Lol - I thought I'd be mortified breast feeding with my Dad in the room but I couldn't care less now. When your baby is hungry you just want them fed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Lol - I thought I'd be mortified breast feeding with my Dad in the room but I couldn't care less now. When your baby is hungry you just want them fed :)

Me too :) especially as I have to get both boobs out to tandem feed. But I don't even think about it now. If you come visit me you'll likely see my boobs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

The very best of luck, very exciting :)

-When does your first milk actually come through?
    I had a c section so it delays it a bit I think. I think it took 4 or 5 days.

-How do you get the baby to latch on properly? Especially at the beginning. Is there a knack to it?

Straight after my op when in recovery a midwife put each baby to my breast so I fed them very soon after they were born. I was lying down and fairly out of it but they latched on with her help. I struggled the next few days latching them on (twins) so I rang a nurse to come help me which they did. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

-How long should I keep the baby on each breast? Is it a case of feeding the baby on one breast at each mealtime and there alternating to the other breast at the next mealtime?

Because I have two babies, they get one boob each. Mine usually let me know when they are done, they doze off or stop sucking. Most feeds are about 30 mins but all babies are different.

-How do you know when the baby has had enough milk and is finished feeding?

Sorry for all the questions but there is so much to know and I'd like to get it right :)

Best of luck with it all :)

Blueskye wrote: »
    Me too :) especially as I have to get both boobs out to tandem feed. But I don't even think about it now. If you come visit me you'll likely see my boobs!!

Oh yeah, I've flashed so many people. I don't care, when you've a cranky hungry baby you'll do anything to get them fed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm coming to the end of my pregnancy and should have my baby by the weekend :). I'm planning on breastfeeding but I have a few questions on some things that I'm reading conflicting information about.

-When does your first milk actually come through?
    -How do you get the baby to latch on properly? Especially at the beginning. Is there a knack to it?
    -How long should I keep the baby on each breast? Is it a case of feeding the baby on one breast at each mealtime and there alternating to the other breast at the next mealtime?
    -How do you know when the baby has had enough milk and is finished feeding?

Sorry for all the questions but there is so much to know and I'd like to get it right :)

Usually your colostrum will be milky by around day 3, or like already mention it can take a little longer after a section. Upto 7 days after the baby is born is not unheard of.

Baby instinctually knows what to do! After birth, put baby straight up onto your chest, tummy to tummy, and they will mooch and find your nipple themselves. Babies early eyesight distinguishes dark from light, and circles better than other shapes (have a look at your nipples and areola... Perfect!)
    There's some amazing YouTube videos of 'the breast crawl'.

In the early days babies can take quite a while to empty each breast. Sometimes there can be reasons for multiple feeds at one breast before switching sides, but usually just let them feed at one breast until they become fussy after a good while, then you can offer the other breast. Some babies always feed from both sides, some babies never do... It really depends on the baby! I would never restrict how often they can feed to 10/20/30 minutes per side though.

Nikpmup (hope that's the right user name!) if you would be interested in doing a Breastfeeding preparation class with a private lc I can recommend Mairead Murphy of betterbreastfeeding.ie. She is a certified lactation consultant based in dunboyne and is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Great news appt went well murdy!

Ninkump ( I know that's not right but on phone so can't look back!!!) I have flat nipples - and small apparently - but makes no difference - I used the latch assist and would really recommend it! Now they are used to it and she's gotten bigger she manages to get them to cooperate thru brut sucking force!!!!

IcecreAm - good luck over next few days!
    At start I offered her both sides - and she'd take 20-30 mins each side - after about 4-6 weeks she would take 20-30 mins on one side. Now it's 10-15 mins one side but sometimes wants both! I offer one - when she starts pulling off I know she's either full or my boobs empty. I have a little feel and if it feels empty/ very soft or if she is thrashing about and not content & relaxed ill offer her the other. She usually starts to sleep or fall off when she's finished / so basically I know she's full when she is relaxed and happy!! Easier to tell as she's getting older as now she smiles up and looks to play!!! I love that :). But when she was up to 6-8 weeks and kinda still now I have an if in doubt offer food attitude which keeps her happy, my supply up and so me happy! At 11 weeks she feeds every 2-3 hrs during day and will sleep a long stint of 12-5.30 at night.
    Even tho I had a section my milk came in after 2 days - maybe cos I was 2 weeks overdue - but for me they did get hard full leaky & sore! They are still hard & leaky in the mornings! I love to feed her to sort them out! Think I'm going to have to try breast shells to help with that!
    In relation to nipple shields- I used then on my first & hated them - only used them cos couldn't get latch right in hospital and a midwife recommended them but then daughter couldn't latch without them - and my nipple size should have not been an issue - cos this time I kept at it and got there withiut then which has made kife alit easier ! However if nipple shields didn't exist I wouldn't have managed to feed my first at all so there a blessing and a curse!!!

Aknitter / I giggled alot about the dad comment !! My poor brothers and father - they are all traumatised! I also refuse to hide in public... Think I'm becoming an exhibitionist... Haha! Any seat in any cafe - out they come! Although I'm very careful about what I wear - I like to have some clothing over my boob - as in I wear 2 string tops and have one up & one down so nothing on show!

I'm still loving feeding - if I do 2 more weeks then I've done longer than last time and I really can't see myself quitting any time soon! I'm back at work in 5 weeks tho - that'll be hard - but plan on expressing every 2&1/2 hrs there and feeding when I'm at home and on days off. Hopefully it'll work. Can't see why it wouldn't - it'll make going back to work easier cos I know ill have that bond with her when I get home - that I'm still irreplaceable... I think I need that going back so early! Ill miss them both so much!

Sorry this ended up a very long rambly reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Just catching up on the last few days of posting. Wolfpawnpat fair play to you for persevering, and for being gutsy enough to complain. I was in the Rotunda and received some very good help, and some very bad help, from different midwives, but was never brave enough to say anything against the bad ones. My very first midwife was great, also Polish, and the one that helped me most after that was Polish too, mad coincidence with your experience.

Just looked up Breast Crawl videos on YouTube, had never heard of that before, just gorgeous! Wish we had done that now!

To the new posters here who are looking for advice, I would say that the very best thing I ever did was read through this entire thread, start to finish. I did it during the early breastfeeding sessions and it was honestly the only thing that got me through. I joined a HSE breastfeeding support group but it is more miss than hit with the knowledge of the PHNs who run it being not great at all.

Also, don't know if anyone remembered that I posted about cutting out the 11pm feed, and having little boy sleep from 10pm til 8am (instead of 12pm to 8am). I've done it a couple of times now and it's going great. I do wake up with one Very Full boob though (I only feed on one side per session, no real reason, just habit). I'm wondering whether it's better to offer him both breasts at the 9pm feed (now his last feed of the night), or to express at 11pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

holding wrote: »
    Also, don't know if anyone remembered that I posted about cutting out the 11pm feed, and having little boy sleep from 10pm til 8am (instead of 12pm to 8am). I've done it a couple of times now and it's going great. I do wake up with one Very Full boob though (I only feed on one side per session, no real reason, just habit). I'm wondering whether it's better to offer him both breasts at the 9pm feed (now his last feed of the night), or to express at 11pm?

Holding, from my own experience everything started to go really well when I fed from both breasts at every feed. You're obviously doing fine with one but I can't see any downside of giving him both for the bedtime feed. He'll be nice and full and it will save you from expressing later, win win!

A question about weaning:

My baby is 10 months old. I fed her fulltime for 7 months and have been weaning her very slowly for the last 3 months. I'm now just giving her a morning feed and thats going fine, in no hurry to give that up.
    However for the last few weeks I've been feeling absolutely exhausted and for the last few days, quite emotional as well. So tired in the afternoons that I can hardly function unless I can lie down for an hour (which doesn't always happen obviously!). I'm sleeping really well at night and so is the baby so I can't blame that. Getting fresh air and exercise most days. Its like that overwhelming tiredness during the first few weeks of pregnancy (have checked that too, not an issue).
    Did anyone feel like this during/after weaning? How long did it last? Am I making it worse by doing such a slow weaning process? If I go to the the gp what can he actually do for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Emer B I would recommend getting your iron levels checked by your GP. You may need supplements.

emer_b wrote: »
    Holding, from my own experience everything started to go really well when I fed from both breasts at every feed. You're obviously doing fine with one but I can't see any downside of giving him both for the bedtime feed. He'll be nice and full and it will save you from expressing later, win win!

A question about weaning:

My baby is 10 months old. I fed her fulltime for 7 months and have been weaning her very slowly for the last 3 months. I'm now just giving her a morning feed and thats going fine, in no hurry to give that up.
    However for the last few weeks I've been feeling absolutely exhausted and for the last few days, quite emotional as well. So tired in the afternoons that I can hardly function unless I can lie down for an hour (which doesn't always happen obviously!). I'm sleeping really well at night and so is the baby so I can't blame that. Getting fresh air and exercise most days. Its like that overwhelming tiredness during the first few weeks of pregnancy (have checked that too, not an issue).
    Did anyone feel like this during/after weaning? How long did it last? Am I making it worse by doing such a slow weaning process? If I go to the the gp what can he actually do for me?

Has your cycle returned? It could be starting to come back.
    There is a swing in some hormones when you cut down bfing but you've been doing it so gently that I'm not sure that would be applicable to you.
    Hope you feel better soon anyway

emer_b wrote: »

Omg Emer I tried this this morning and it made such a difference!! Thank you so much for recommending it. I remembered why I only feed from one side at a time - it was because at the start it was so painful that I was giving each boob the max time possible to recover before another feed/ onslaught of pain etc. But I don't need to do that anymore tg. Anyway, am delighted, thanx :D

I only fed from one side when baby had green poops, as this is a sign they aren't getting the full range of fore and hind milk. I block fed for a few days and the problem resolved itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks ladies, after writing my post it became obvious to me that I should go to the gp, its not normal to feel this tired. Liliq, my cycle returned like clockwork 3 months ago but I guess there is still a possibility that its hormonal. I will get bloods checked anyway.

Thats great holding, delighted it worked out for you. I had a much lower supply in one breast so started feeding from both at every feed. It made no difference in the long run but got me into the habit of feeding from both at every feed which I think also helped build up my overall supply (the weaker boob got the nickname sh!tty leftie!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. Hopefully the nursing will go well. It seems so natural but yet difficult to master. I'm hoping my natural instincts will just kick in :)

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. Hopefully the nursing will go well. It seems so natural but yet difficult to master. I'm hoping my natural instincts will just kick in :)

Well your off to right start by both appreciating its natural but also a learned skill! Think I missed the second bit before I had my babies! Thought it would just happen - and it does but takes practice usually and patience - worth every second :)

The first six weeks are the toughest, no doubt about it. But then everything clicks into place, or it did for me! I'm so much more laid back about it this time, knowing what to expect and going with your instinct is so helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with oversupply/a fast let-down? I have issues with my right boob (aka the bad boob). The milk comes out very fast, causing him to splutter and cough and if I feed him on that side it makes his reflux really bad.

He's on Losec now and it does seem to be helping a lot but hasn't completely solved the problem. Last night I fed him on the left at 9pm then he slept until 2am when my husband gave him a formula feed of aptamil reflux and he slept through until 5am which for him is wonderful. Then at 5am I fed him on the right and things went to hell in a handbasket. I pumped with my manual pump for a little bit first to help him out but he still had trouble feeding - he was coughing/spluttering and pulling away. Then after that I was up for two hours with him with terrible reflux. He was very uncomfortable and distressed and a lot of milk came up.

Does anyone have any experience with this and what I can do? I really seem to have a lot of milk that comes out very fast. Last night I pumped 40mls in about a minute. I'm worried that the pumping is actually increasing my supply and making things worse but that seems to be the advice around. I just fed him on the right and he's asleep now but so much milk came up and he was very upset. I might call the LC to see if she can help but I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice. I think if I had fed him from the left at 5am my night would have been even better!

Hey Murdy, I don't have personal experience but have a few friends that have had both of those issues.
    I know it's a bit worrisome to pump before that it might increase supply, but maybe expressing a little more just until you can see the flow slow down yourself might help? Once he's a little bigger he will be more able to cope with a strong let down so as long as you're not pumping buckets, your supply with regulate then.
    Block feeding can also be helpful, so if you feed from one side for every feed for say 4 hours, and then switch to the other side for the same amount of time. While you're feeding on one side, the other side will be getting full, and sending signals to your body that your baby doesn't need as much milk (it sounds confusing, but it's the reverse of the theory that the more your baby empties your breast, the more milk your body will make... like supply and demand in economics!) You might be on to something that feeding him from the other side might have helped.
    I saw before that you're local to Dundrum? The Friends of Breastfeeding Buddy System is in Dundrum now, which might be useful, and there are Cuidiu Dublin South west breastfeeding support meetings on Wednesdays that run over the summer also as far as I know. I can get more details on either or both for you, or on local LCs that are really good, if you want to PM me.
    Mixing the formula and breastfeeds can sometimes make reflux a bit rougher, because of the different densities of formula and breastmilk. The formula is thicker, and harder to digest so when they have a breastfeed after it can trigger the reflux.

• Advertisement

liliq wrote: »
    Hey Murdy, I don't have personal experience but have a few friends that have had both of those issues.
    I know it's a bit worrisome to pump before that it might increase supply, but maybe expressing a little more just until you can see the flow slow down yourself might help? Once he's a little bigger he will be more able to cope with a strong let down so as long as you're not pumping buckets, your supply with regulate then.
    Block feeding can also be helpful, so if you feed from one side for every feed for say 4 hours, and then switch to the other side for the same amount of time. While you're feeding on one side, the other side will be getting full, and sending signals to your body that your baby doesn't need as much milk (it sounds confusing, but it's the reverse of the theory that the more your baby empties your breast, the more milk your body will make... like supply and demand in economics!) You might be on to something that feeding him from the other side might have helped.
    I saw before that you're local to Dundrum? The Friends of Breastfeeding Buddy System is in Dundrum now, which might be useful, and there are Cuidiu Dublin South west breastfeeding support meetings on Wednesdays that run over the summer also as far as I know. I can get more details on either or both for you, or on local LCs that are really good, if you want to PM me.
    Mixing the formula and breastfeeds can sometimes make reflux a bit rougher, because of the different densities of formula and breastmilk. The formula is thicker, and harder to digest so when they have a breastfeed after it can trigger the reflux.

Hmm, that's interesting about the mixing of the formula/breast milk being troublesome. I never knew that. I might have to look into it. I have to ignore the voice in my head telling my feeding him only the reflux formula would be easier because he's only 6 weeks and I really wanted to breastfeed for at least 3 months (that's my first bfeeding goal).

I have tried block feeding on the right and it does seem to help a little bit but not enough so I might need to have a think about what to do! I pumped a good bit of milk last night before feeding him but it didn't seem to help so I'm not sure :(

I am near enough to Dundrum but am in the Cuidiu South East region - the LC gave me details of meetings but it was the July details and I need the August ones but I have the Cuidiu South East Region consultants details so I need to contact them anyway for the details because I want to go to the meetings, just to meet people. I might dig out the LC consultant's number now and give her a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Murdy, the boob may not be the cause of it. Try feeding in a different position. Maybe for him lying on the side to feed from the right may be the issue. No harm in trying.

Good Luck

Actually does anyone have a baby who prefers one side to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Murdywurdy do you feed lying down or upright? Apparently feeding upright is better if you've an oversupply. Thankfully I don't have it this time but sometimes when I'm feeding A lying down I can actually hear the milk hitting her stomach and without fail she spews afterwards and she's very hard to settle because of wind. I've found the 4am-ish feed is the worst one for this wind even still at 13 weeks.

Also she suffered quite badly with wind from 6 to 8/9 weeks and I read this is quite normal as you're still producing a lot of milk, they've gone through a growth spurt and they're still trying to cope with it.

I found baby in a sitting position on my lap and her nearly reaching up to the boob was a good method.

No, I feed upright - in the normal cradle hold. I do try and hold him as upright as possible when feeding as well . Feeding him on the left at the moment in the same position I do on the right and he's fine! Has stayed latched on and no coughing, spluttering or milk going everywhere!

Would a boob feed instead of the reflux formula be possible?
    The August details for Cuidiu should be on their website :)

liliq wrote: »
    Would a boob feed instead of the reflux formula be possible?
    The August details for Cuidiu should be on their website :)

It seems there are no meetings in August - but they start back up in September so I'm going to go then. I'm eager to meet other mums anyway I can! I do go to the weekly support meeting at the health centre near me but I was there yesterday before I realised what a problem my strong boob is causing so the next meeting is not until next week!

Last night was the first night we did a reflux formula feed instead of me feeding him. We did it because I was just exhausted and we couldn't go on like this, my hubby needs to help out a bit somehow. I suppose we could give him expressed milk at that feed instead of me feeding him but I think we do need a feed that I don't do at some stage at night - just so I don't turn into a zombie. I feel better today than I have in weeks and it made me better able to take care of him today. I really noticed the difference in me.

I've looked up what I can do online - e.g. block feeding and things but the advice seems to be conflicting. Breastfeeding is tough sometimes, you just don't know what's right! I'm going to call the LC in the morning and tonight I'll try feed on the left and just pump a little from the right to take the engorgement off. I fed him on the right earlier and it was a disaster, just like last night. We both had to change our clothes due to the amount of milk that came up!

Can someone explain shells to me? I have avent ones but list the leaflet! I'm sure there's one online but anyway! I'm wondering how much milk they remove? I have an over supply issue in morning - baby seems to manage thankfully - no tummy problems we v v lucky. But every time I get out if shower or even just think about my boobs in the morning I have a strong let down from the side I didn't feed from during night feed. I'm always trying to grab pads Etc - it's a race to get my bra on & pad in before its soaked :( she's 11 weeks now and it's just not settling diwn... And quite frankly it just seems a waste if good milk !! So I want to try stick shells on to collect milk but don't want to loose too much as she'll need it for next feed and any tine I've expressed a but in the mornings I can't seem to catch up with her demand for rest of day! So yes, after much rambling I just want to know exactly what they do & how much milk they collect !

• Advertisement

I've often gotten up to 1oz from each breast when using the shells.

To stop the letdown you can press the heel of your hand into the breast. I've often done this if A is asleep but my boobs think its feeding time.

Advertisement