Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

A few people mentioned reading this thread as a preparation for breast feeding. Great idea. I'd just like to say that you CAN breast feed without any of the issues some of the ladies here have come up against. I fed my first for 18 months, and am going strong with my second, and have (touch wood) had no problems at all with getting started, pain, cracks, supply, pumping, mastitis and so on.

So be prepared of course, but don't assume it's bound to be a painful experience! For us it's been nothing but positive, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

(I recently read 'The Baby Whisperer' and to judge from it you'd swear breast feeding was nothing but martyrdom!)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

It's nice to hear of someone who had no issues and no pain at all with breastfeeding, I have to say that you're the very first person I've met anywhere to have that Next Steps. Not being sarcastic or antyhing there, I genuinely haven't met anyone who had a totally pain and problem free experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I am happy to say I can second that nextsteps. Other than a blocked duct after 8 months I had no issues at all. I count myself extremely lucky to have had no physical difficulties with breastfeeding.
    However from my posts 8 or 9 months ago its clear that I worried myself sick over supply, routines, baby weight gain!

This thread was a life saver for my sanity in the early days, thankful for all the advice I got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

emer_b wrote: »
    I am happy to say I can second that nextsteps. Other than a blocked duct after 8 months I had no issues at all. I count myself extremely lucky to have had no physical difficulties with breastfeeding.

My experience was pretty straightforward too - 3 bad days of pain at the start with my first and a blocked duct when finishing up with my second. The other 99% of the time was great.

Bottlefeeding mums have problems with brand of formula, types of formula, bottles, teats, weaning from the bottle and the problems that we all experience - wind, sleepless nights, fussiness.

I doubt that any mother can categorically say that any aspect of having a baby is problem-free, but when it comes to the feeding, I consider myself to have had it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I had 2 bad weeks and its been fab since - I have oversupply at times and too little at others but no pain since about day ten!
    Its a great part if life and a lovely experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Apart from the thrush at 5 weeks I've had no problems either. In fact I love, love, love breastfeeding. I used to feel so amazing when my son was exclusively breastfed and he was growing and growing just because I fed him. Now it's such a relief to have this powerful tool that can fix almost anything like when he (bad mammy alert) fell off the bed yesterday and was absolutely inconsolable until offered the boob and he was instantly ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'm only 11 weeks in but have had no real issues either and I'm feeding two. I've worried about oversupply and under supply and have felt fed up and overwhelmed at times but the longer I do it the more confident I become and its amazing to see my little boys fill out and grow from 90% my milk.

I agree Iguana, it's such a brilliant tool for an upset baba. The magic of the boob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We had an issue with tongue tie but once we got that sorted at 14 weeks, I have had zero problems. I've never had thrush, blocked ducts, or mastitis. I've had a little recurring bleb but it was more of a slight irritation that a problem.
    Some mums I know find the intensity of the first few weeks very difficult. It's hard having a little person so very dependant on you, but I think that's more about expectations and understanding normal newborn behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Hello ladies!
    5 weeks on baby no 1 to go for me so I will be joining you soon. :-) I'd like to breastfeed but I have to be honest, mentally I have big issues with it. For me, breasts are sexual and thoughts of latching baby on seem so wrong. I'm trying to get over it and have been researching, watching videos, etc but looking at it gives me the heebejeebies!! It's uncomfortable to watch and everytime I try to visualize me doing it, I get a serious case of skin crawlies, I almost feel like a paedo!

Has anyone else felt even remotely like this? How did you get over it? Thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've had mastitis at the start on both babies and blocked ducts at 10 weeks on O which thankfully I've managed to avoid this time. I'd consider myself very lucky with breastfeeding and would even say I've had charmed early experiences with regards to midwives, public health nurses, weight gain etc.

I just love breastfeeding this time around from the very start. It took me a while to feel like that the first time. I love looking at how instinctive she is when she's feeding and how she rests her arm on me. It's just such a beautiful, natural thing. I also love that it can cure almost any problem. What would I do without it!

Pat McGhee unfortunately in western society breasts are sexualised and we've lost sight of their true use. All I can say to you is to start breastfeeding and surround yourself with breastfeeding mothers from the start as this will normalize it for you.

• Advertisement

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Hello ladies!
    5 weeks on baby no 1 to go for me so I will be joining you soon. :-) I'd like to breastfeed but I have to be honest, mentally I have big issues with it. For me, breasts are sexual and thoughts of latching baby on seem so wrong. I'm trying to get over it and have been researching, watching videos, etc but looking at it gives me the heebejeebies!! It's uncomfortable to watch and everytime I try to visualize me doing it, I get a serious case of skin crawlies, I almost feel like a paedo!

Has anyone else felt even remotely like this? How did you get over it? Thanks! :-)

I felt mildly like this before and after breastfeeding my first baby!!! And now they have returned to milk bags I can't find then sexy.. However I know I will once I stop again whenever that is, it is weird when u do breastfeed it makes it all just feel right and normal and natural, then after I stopped with my first I couldn't imagine doing it again!
    I'm a bit obsessed now tho and don't want to give up at all! It's a fab experience this time - long may it last!

Hello ladies!

I was really apprehensive about bf before I did it although I really wanted to bf. and I remember just before babies latched on for first time I was thinking 'no no lets forget the whole thing' I felt really uncomfortable.but the nurse put first baby on and that was it, it just clicked. You really do see your breasts differently once you see you are providing food for your child. Women told me that but I wasn't sure I'd feel the same way but I did :) just try not to think about it too much and once you get going you'll be flying it.

The funniest has to be when they're latched on and feeding while also looking up at you with their big cute eyes and then they do a poo. All at the same time!

Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. I will definitely try, I've said that since day 1 and common sense tells me breast is best but I suppose I won't know how I truly feel until she's here and we give it a go together. I'm really hoping the mentality of it all just clicks as I don't doubt there'll be more important hurdles to get over, like latch and soreness.

Feeding, pooing and big baby blues... Hilarious!! Lol :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. I will definitely try, I've said that since day 1 and common sense tells me breast is best but I suppose I won't know how I truly feel until she's here and we give it a go together. I'm really hoping the mentality of it all just clicks as I don't doubt there'll be more important hurdles to get over, like latch and soreness.

Feeding, pooing and big baby blues... Hilarious!! Lol :-)

if it helps I was 17 having my first and felt exactly the same as you (14 years ago)! But it was supposed to be better etc. You do get over it, for me it took a bit and when I had my second 12 years later, it was easier. I was dealing with ALOT of other issues first time around so I just added that to the heap and got over myself. As your pregnancy progresses you might find the body changes will make the thought easier! BTW my 3rd is 6 weeks and I now fit into clothes I couldn't before I was pregnant - the weight is falling off! :)

aknitter wrote: »
    if it helps I was 17 having my first and felt exactly the same as you (14 years ago)! But it was supposed to be better etc. You do get over it, for me it took a bit and when I had my second 12 years later, it was easier. I was dealing with ALOT of other issues first time around so I just added that to the heap and got over myself. As your pregnancy progresses you might find the body changes will make the thought easier! BTW my 3rd is 6 weeks and I now fit into clothes I couldn't before I was pregnant - the weight is falling off! :)

Thanks to hyperemesis, I weigh little more now (35wks!) than I did before I got pregnant, I don't think I'll be able to afford to lose weight after she gets here, lol!

I hate ye all ;)
    I'm still 5lbs up almost 12 weeks later... Breast feeding doesn't seem to be doing it so I've started running again - hopefully that'll help - she doesn't seem to mind the post run salty milk...!!!

I had to cut out all crap food and go back to my pre pregnancy eating habits. Now I have 2 days where I eat nice stuff, usually weekends, and 5 where I try to eat healthily and watch the portion sizes. 2lbs to go here but I'm pretty much back into my clothes and the muffin top is all but gone.

I just don't have the energy for running yet. I might give it another 2 weeks and then dust off the trainers.

Having said all that I was probably 11 1/2 stone at the end and I lost over 2 stone without even trying so breastfeeding must've helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I ate a lot of crap while getting to grips with breastfeeding, it didn't help that I was stuck on the couch sitting under her for hours. I was still back in my pre pregnancy jeans after a few weeks and I weighed less at the start of this pregnancy than before I got pregnant the last time.

I thought I'd lose the baby weight faster especially feeding two but I am eating way too much chocolate and surviving on very little sleep with zero time to exercise. so I'm trying not to get too hung up about it but I do miss my old body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Another one with hyperemesis here - 6 weeks on I weigh a good bit less than I did before I got pregnant. The weight has redistributed though. I've a little bit more on my tum than I did before but slimmer shoulders,hips and thighs. I'm hoping the breastfeeding will take off a couple of pounds on my tum. I'm eating so much crap though, people keep sending me choc and biscuits. I'm working my way through it and then not buying any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd like to breastfeed but I have to be honest, mentally I have big issues with it. For me, breasts are sexual and thoughts of latching baby on seem so wrong.

If it's any help, it's not just your boobs that will change function. You'll look at your body in a whole different way when you've shoved a baby out of it, especially...ahem...downstairs. We are designed to have babies and we are designed to feed them. Anything else is just society. Believe me, when you see how your newborn baby can snuffle her way up to your breast and instinctively know what to do, you'll see your breasts in a whole new light.

(They can go back to being funbags afterwards:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Has anyone tried the My Brest Friend nursing pillow? My friend wants to know what to buy me as a gift and she has recommended this pillow. Where do most people breast feed? On rocking chair, sitting up in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Has anyone tried the My Brest Friend nursing pillow? My friend wants to know what to buy me as a gift and she has recommended this pillow. Where do most people breast feed? On rocking chair, sitting up in bed?

I don't know the nursing pillow you mentioned. I had one of those U shaped pillows and found the baby was too high for me. I found a regular bedroom pillow was the best for me.
    I pictured myself and baby sitting blissfully in a rocking chair but the arms are so uncomfortable! I fed in bed (sitting and lying down) and on the couch. Armchairs might be ok when baby is small but when they get a bit longer any chair with arms can be awkward.
    You will know what's best for you once you know what feeding positions are comfortable for you.
    I actually found that my U shaped pillow was great for baby playtime from about 5/6 months when she started sitting up, helped keep her steady.

Just googled that pillow, looks lovely!

I have a my brest friend twin pillow which I'd be lost without (feed both together), am sure the single one would be good too. I also have a boppy pillow from a friend who planned to bf but didn't. I find it very handy when I feed one baby. Just some extra support and it raises baby up a bit higher so your arms aren't doing all the work.

I feed in bed or sitting on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I found pillows a bit of a hindrance, I just couldn't really get a comfortable position with them :/ slouched on the couch in a kind of laid back position, or lying down in bed were (and still are) our go to feeding positions!

I had the pillow on my son and at the time I felt I couldn't feed without it. It was a bit of a to-do every time he needed to be fed as I'd have to get the pillow put it on, get him, sit down on the sofa and then start feeding by which time he was screaming.

This time around we got a nursing/rocking chair. We wanted it quite quickly as we only decided to get it after she arrived so we bought it in Smyths for €130.

I'd personally recommend the chair over the pillow but I understand you can't ask your friend to buy the chair as a present :)

I just found the pillow a bit of a barrier to feeding anywhere but that's just my opinion. Now I'd feed at the table eating my dinner, in the car, standing up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I have two brest friend pillows actually, and love them! One is downstairs, and one is upstairs. I strap one around me - the very best thing about them is the little pillow that supports the small of your back - and put another pillow (normal bedroom pillow) on top of it. This helps me achieve the position described in What to Expect When You're Breastfeeding, which is the only position I could do for ages without feeling any pain at all. I still find it the most comfortable. (Basically you close up all the space underneath your breast with pillow, support your breast with your hand as the fingers form the nipple shape, and baby lies in front of you horizontally.) Since then, I have progressed to being able to feed him without pain in almost any position (rugby hold is still sore for me, four months in), so it's fine when I'm out and about without the Brest Friend, but when I'm home I definitely always use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Didn't really feel about my breasts sexually, always thought I'd breastfeed, but I did wonder if my other half would be totally put off me, as I was breastfeeding. I think it's odd for the daddies, but they get used to it.

Pat McGhee, I just found it the most magical experience feeding my new baby (still love it now that she's 21 months & we're coming to the end of our experience.) Can't wait for the new baby to arrive in 3.5 months so I can't start all over again.

I didn't have any problems in terms of supply etc, but my little one has a tongue tie, so her latch can be painful. Also suffered from a fair few blocked ducts & mastitis once, but overall I would have considered our journey smooth sailing for most of the time & wouldn't change it for the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I found starting was very hard and stressful PatMaGee but I am starting week 3 now and she is feeding well and the supply is great thank goodness. In fact she won't go to sleep without being near my boobs. As long as she can smell them she is happy. It's great not having to pack bottles too and not having to sterilise everything everyday.

As for the sexual thing. I was worrying about that too. Not even for me but for my partner. He was frightened to even touch them thinking it would hurt me, but he was happily wrong and still thinks their sexy thank goodness :)

Advertisement