Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

S is 12 weeks today - literally overnight she has started pulling off the breast - alot!! I can't even see how she's getting a decent feed! Today all feeds been ten mins where normally 30-60 and she keeps pulling her head back, I don't think there's anything wrong with her I think she's just pulling off so she can look around at what's going on! Half the time she just smiles up at me for a sec and then back on, then off, then on... Is this the age this happens? I'm thinking of trying covering her with a muslin to stop her being distracted but with all the pulling on and off I could do with being able to see her to see what she's at when she's off!
    Hmm - I have a feeling ill pay for all these short feeds...I don't believe she has increased her efficiency that much over night!! I wish she had!!!! It's sooo much quicker - just with lots if head bobbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Same thing happened with us at 12-14 weeks DublinLady and it was normal according to the books and the internet. It sorted itself out. Love the little smiles they break off to give you!!

Irish Parenting Bloggers are doing a blog march for world breastfeeding week - http://mama.ie/blog-march-for-world-breastfeeding-week/. Thought this thread would be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Same here DL. She started around 11 weeks with the bobbing on and off. She was always a quick feeder but it's down to 5-10 mins now. I also put the muslin cloth over her head when she's feeding as she's starting to get nosey. I had to do the same with her brother.

Same here DL. She started around 11 weeks with the bobbing on and off. She was always a quick feeder but it's down to 5-10 mins now. I also put the muslin cloth over her head when she's feeding as she's starting to get nosey. I had to do the same with her brother.

Really , for every feed? And how often does she feed? S is about 2&1/2-3 hrs and I just wonder how she's getting enough! It's great to have someone at the same stage!

Thanks holding - I'm glad to hear ur baba got less curious cos she's wrecking my head :) the smiles are amazing tho - I think they the most special thing about breast feeding! That and being able to comfort her in seconds when she's overtired!!

• Advertisement

Usually every 2-2 1/2 hours and the odd time she'll stretch to 3-3 1/2. We had one whole week of feeding every 3-4 hrs and I thought this was great but she soon reverted to 2hrs. I don't mind as thankfully she feeds quickly. If you saw the size of her you'd know she was getting plenty in those 5-10 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Do you need to sterlise your pump after every use? I have the Tommy tippee hand pump only 10 days and It seems to be going out of shape already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have both the Tommee Tippee hand and electric pump and do sterilise after each use. I have the hand pump about 2 weeks and haven't noticed it going out of shape

I have the Medela electric & avent manual and read just to sterilise once a day but wash with hot water each use? That's what I do anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hope this isn't tmi but just wondering if anyone's had any problems with itching down below while breastfeeding? My understanding is that it's from low oestrogen levels, similar to menopause.

Not looking for medical advice, have been to doc and she suggested vagifem but that has oestrogen in it so could potentially affect supply so not keen on that.
    It's driving me bananas though and just wondering if others had it and did it last long?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I'll be finding out all about it sooner rather than later as docs are talking about inducing me at 37 weeks. My LO is measuring small, she only gained 7oz in the last 2 weeks (4lbs 10oz now, I'm 35+5) so she could be little more than 5lbs by the time she's born. I'm determined to give her the best start possible and bf is the way to do it, so I'm just gonna have to get over myself!

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice. I guess I'll be finding out all about it sooner rather than later as docs are talking about inducing me at 37 weeks. My LO is measuring small, she only gained 7oz in the last 2 weeks (4lbs 10oz now, I'm 35+5) so she could be little more than 5lbs by the time she's born. I'm determined to give her the best start possible and bf is the way to do it, so I'm just gonna have to get over myself!

A girl in my breastfeeding group was induced at 38 weeks because her baby wasn't gaining weight, he was just over 5 lbs when he was born, she's exclusively breastfeed and the baby is gaining weight so fast. He's 6 weeks now and he.'s almost 10 lbs, pretty much on par with the other babies in the group at that age. (E.g mine was 8lbs 1oz when he was born and 10lbs 7oz at 6 weeks) so your baby will catch up and bfeeding is definitely the best start! She had to pump for a little bit first as he was so smal but he's well able to latch on now. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Not sure if this will help or not, but mothercare do nipple shields that come with different size nipples. They are ablout €7 and are way cheaper than the avent ones. They may help with a small baby. That said my daughter is tiny. I mean very bloody small. Her head circumference is in the less than 5 percentile and believe she is able to get her teeny mouth on. I use nipple shield some times (I had a bad start) and she can fit that in too.

Thanks for the reassurance girls. Wolf, will defo check out mothercare for the nipple shields, best to be prepared.

How are you both finding the feeding now? I know you had your fair share of struggles to begin with.

Thanks for the reassurance girls. Wolf, will defo check out mothercare for the nipple shields, best to be prepared.

How are you both finding the feeding now? I know you had your fair share of struggles to begin with.

Just back from her 2 week check up. She is 200g more than her birth weight. Thrilled. We had a terrible start but we are flying now. I still use shields which I need to get out of because I'm healed but she is healthy and alert. Well worth the hassle to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't doubt there'll be more important hurdles to get over, like latch and soreness.

To be very honest with you, I'd say that for the vast majority of women in our society the particular hurdle you are aware of and trying to overcome is very much the biggest one. Yes there can be soreness, yes sometimes babies can have difficulty latching on, rarely there can be genuine supply issues, you can feel tired, overwhelmed and desperate for a break, etc. But all of those issues are no more prevalent here and now than they are/were in countries with 90%+ breastfeeding rates like Sweden or anywhere in the world 200 years ago.

The fact that for most women breastfeeding is culturally abnormal, that most women weren't breastfed themselves, that they didn't grow up seeing their younger siblings and cousins breastfed, that they don't see their friends do it. That bottles seem more synonymous with feeding a baby than breasts and that breasts are almost exclusively celebrated for their secondary sexual functions rather than their primary nourishing function can make it very difficult for women to truly feel good at the prospect of breastfeeding. Throw in a huge amount of medical professionals who are badly educated about the realities of breastfeeding, the unfortunately high likelihood of having extended family who resent breastfeeding as they can't feed the baby and possibly feel that a daughter/daughter-in-law who breastfeeds is a rebuke at them for formula feeding. And, in too many cases, a father of the baby who doesn't support breastfeeding fully and you have a situation where you are trying to overcome social conditioning without necessary supports.

I think that it's brilliant that you are aware of what might hold you back when it comes to breastfeeding your baby. It shows an emotional honesty and a willingness to do what you can to overcome it. You should be proud that you can admit to feeling how you do rather than feel silly for it, because it's not easy to admit to feeling something that you feel foolish for feeling. The best thing to do is to do everything you can to normalise breastfeeding for yourself - perhaps go to a local breastfeeding group before you are induced and talk to the women there. Before the baby is born, explain to those closest to you like your partner, parents, friends, why breastfeeding is important to you and how you would like them to support you. And if you do know someone who breastfed/feeds ask her if she will be your go to person for the first month or two. Most breastfeeding women will be delighted to help you in anyway they can.

Good luck and congratulations!:)

Great post Iguana :)

dublinlady wrote: »
    Great post Iguana :)

+100000!!!
    Thankfully I can say I do have support, my OH is 100% in favour of whatever I decide, same goes for family et all.
    I did look into the support groups in my area but they were meeting when I had work so it wasn't possible for me to go but now that I've been signed off work, I plan to see when they next meet and go from there.

Wolf, fantastic news about the weight gain. So happy the bf is working out for you. You give me hope! :-)

Wolf, fantastic news about the weight gain. So happy the bf is working out for you. You give me hope! :-)

If I can do it anyone can! If you want to plan ahead also get laninoh or another recommended nipple cream. It is the only thing to heal my boobs of cracks and cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I can officially join this thread as a breast feeder :). I had my little baby girl this morning and have fed her four times since this morning :). I'm so happy because she latched on very easily and the breastfeeding has not been sore yet. I've had a dream start to BF and I'm hoping I can go on as I have started.

I'm just wondering if I should wash my breasts after each feeding or how will I clean them?

• Advertisement

I can officially join this thread as a breast feeder :). I had my little baby girl this morning and have fed her four times since this morning :). I'm so happy because she latched on very easily and the breastfeeding has not been sore yet. I've had a dream start to BF and I'm hoping I can go on as I have started.

I'm just wondering if I should wash my breasts after each feeding or how will I clean them?

Congrats!!
    Great news all going well!

You don't need to wash your breasts after each feed really - I just have a shower once or twice a day and that's it - if she dribbles alot I use a water wipe - but in general I don't! When ur out and about its just not possible!

dublinlady wrote: »
    Congrats!!
    Great news all going well!

You don't need to wash your breasts after each feed really - I just have a shower once or twice a day and that's it - if she dribbles alot I use a water wipe - but in general I don't! When ur out and about its just not possible!
    That and also they love our scent. I find my lo drifts off to sleep in seconds even lying next to me as long as she can smell me.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    If I can do it anyone can! If you want to plan ahead also get laninoh or another recommended nipple cream. It is the only thing to heal my boobs of cracks and cuts.

Have it :-D Although it's boots brand, gonna get some multimam as it seems to be the most recommended.

Have it :-D Although it's boots brand, gonna get some multimam as it seems to be the most recommended.

Both are highly recommended. It's personal choice but one of them is essential for any new mammy :D I haven't tried multimam, but I am only 2 weeks in so no doubt in the next few months I will have the chance.

You did the right thing prepping now, I found preparing and joining threads like this had me more ready this time.

I'm flying along now, not a bother on us and the baby is growing like a weed. It is tough sometimes when you're knackered but so worth it!

I'm sure you'll manage fine :)

Wow that has never even occurred to me! Is that terrible? Should I be doing something I'm not?

I read somewhere that you shouldnt wear perfume for the first few weeks so they baby only gets your smell.

Congrats icecreamqueen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I read somewhere that you shouldnt wear perfume for the first few weeks so they baby only gets your smell.

Congrats icecreamqueen.

Yeah, I brought non-scented shower gel with me to the hospital & wore no perfume for weeks (wouldn't have bothered anyway). When she was 1st born, I used to wash my boobs after feeds, but that soon wore off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My breastfeeding experience is going well so far. A midwife introduced the joys of breastfeeding on a pillow earlier and there hasn't been a peep out of baby all day. It really relaxes her and helps her latch on properly. I'm so thankful to the midwife, it's great that something so simple can be so effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok guys, want to give breastfeeding a better go this time, and I think I need to get my issues sorted out earlier this time.

Couple of issues right off the bat.

- Inverted nipples. midwife the last time said this was no problem.. feed away normally, but honestly it was a problem. I couldn't get a non-painful latch. Anyone inverted here? Any tips?

- Cracked and infected nipples. I'm already cracked and infected at 10 weeks pregnant now. Oozing yellow and white stuff, very sore, bleed when I try to clean. This happened the last time too and I ignored it for the whole pregnancy, thinking it would go away. It's totally agony touching it at the moment. Is this something I'm doing / not doing... something to do with the inversion, I've no idea. Help!

- Missing most of one nipple from the last attempt. She got teeth very early and did a bit of damage. Partly grew back, a lot of scar tissue grew back as normal skin instead of nipple. The undamaged bit is mainly aerola, but I've no idea if I'll be able to feed from one and not the other, and if I do, will I get engorged if I can't feed from one, or will it sort itself out?

Now that I've typed that out, it actually looks like something I need to say to the doctor. I doubt anyone will have something as funky as one inverted and one missing nipple and still successfully gave it a go?

Long shot.... anyone?

Advertisement