Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

highly1111 wrote: »
    P is exclusively breastfed and is 8 weeks. She regularly sleeps 10-7 now. Rarely she might make at 6ish. But that's rare.

My boys also slept through very early and we're breastfed. all 3 of mine have been sleeping through by 8 weeks. (and yes, I know how exceptionally lucky i am ;-) !!)

How'd you do it?!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    The sexual thing is just messed up. Should everyone have a section as well in case contact with their mother's vagina affects them? People just have sex on the brain.

:D

Brilliant comeback. I'm going to memorise it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

NextSteps wrote: »
    How'd you do it?!

lucky. One thing however I'm a firm believer in though is getting them in their own room within 6 weeks. But could just be coincidence. But it seems to be a trend amongst my peers. People say that they have to keep them in their rooms because they wake too frequently during the night and the parents are exhausted but I think there's always a massive improvement in sleep when they are in their own rooms. Again, could just be a coincidence with me and my peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

lucky. One thing however I'm a firm believer in though is getting them in their own room within 6 weeks. But could just be coincidence. But it seems to be a trend amongst my peers. People say that they have to keep them in their rooms because they wake too frequently during the night and the parents are exhausted but I think there's always a massive improvement in sleep when they are in their own rooms. Again, could just be a coincidence with me and my peers.

I was considering this - moving him into his own room to see if it helped. The thought makes me a bit panicky but I also know we're disturbing each other's sleep too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

On earlier comments, I was really shocked when I was at a family event with my then four month old. At that stage I was flying it breastfeeding, we gave a formula feed before bed to give me a rest and because she never liked EBM. So I was feeding her otherwise and hadn't even thought about weaning onto solids.

I had an overwhelmingly negative reaction. All the horror stories of constant cluster feeding in the early days (I know people, I did it myself), comments that I had done my bit and would I not let the poor child have some solids, did I not think I deserved a break, blah blah blah. It was such an eye opener, but taught me a really harsh lesson about how a lot of people really view breastfeeding in Ireland. These were women who in some cases tried it (maybe they failed and wanted to take me down a peg or two was suggested by some peers) or were well aware of the benefits, but it was like my success at breastfeeding was somehow a freakish thing that deserved serious analysis.

Don't get me started on what they said when I announced my second pregnancy when I was still doing one or two feeds a day, ditto when we did baby led weaning and skipped the purees entirely (that was another round of 'what about choking', 'what about baby rice'). This time around I'll be doing what I did last time, namely, what's best for our family and I'm not getting into any debates or trying to change minds that are firmly made up. I only hope that my younger cousins, having seen me breastfeeding in a social setting (I declined the offer of going to a different room as from the first day out I made myself get comfortable feeding in public) will realise its a normal way of feeding a child and not something to get your knickers in a twist over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

aknitter wrote: »
    Too sexual to breastfeed a boy - do boys deserve less than girls? Are they not supposed to get the best their mother can offer - what ****e.

Can't believe it

Actually there was some opinion piece doing the rounds a few weeks ago about how feminists should not breastfeed boys as boys already get too many advantages in life. I think the jist of it was that we should breastfeed our daughters but not our sons in order to even the playing field for women.:rolleyes:

Oh and our child has slept through since 4.5/5 months. We did a modified version of cry it out and within a week or so she was a solid sleeper. Not everyone wants to go that route though.

I know EFF babies who still don't sleep through at over a year, in their own room, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Would love to try that but my two youngest have to share and I don't trust the year old on his own with him yet. When he puts the blanket back on him - he put it on his face! I mean he is being nice but he'd easily kill him with kindness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I had a very encouraging morning. I went down to the health centre to get my baby weighed and she has put on 7ozs in a week through breastfeeding only. I was so delighted as there were times in the last week I had brief moments of defeat but she is really thriving. She's now 8ozs up on her birth weight of 7'2. I'm going to have to buy her new babygros as she's outgrown her first set of babygros now :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was considering this - moving him into his own room to see if it helped. The thought makes me a bit panicky but I also know we're disturbing each other's sleep too

Completely understand. On my first we had no choice - he grew out of the moses basket when he was 5 1/2 weeks and the cot wouldn't fit in our room beside our mega sized bed!! :) it worked so well, we did the same with 2 and 3. I was more reluctant about putting 3 in her own room as she still fits fine in the moses basket but I stuck with what had worked before. I was convinced after saying to my sister that I was reluctant and she reminded me that weather she was 6 weeks or 6 months I was still going to have the same feelings and that of course if it doesn't work and if she doesn't settle than all I have to do is lift her back in.

but it is so nice having our own space back too - I can read book other than on my kindle, I can have evening baths and get ready afterwards and most importantly we can...... :cool:.......... (!)

• Advertisement

need some help please girls. over the last 24 hours my right nipple is in absolute agony. My boob isn't sore at all - just the tip of the nipple - but it is absolutely agony - tears and everything when she latches on. There is no obvious cut or anything like that. It is incredibly painful to the touch. I don't think its a blocked duct - there's no redness or swelling on the boob. just a searing pain on the tip of the nipple which is like a burning pain. I have the Lansinoh cream but it's not working for this problem and I've been feeding her mainly on my left and pumping my right but still no relief :-(

does anyone have any experience/advice of what to do? i'm going to put an ice cube on it now - see if that helps me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ive no direct experience of it but it could be thrush. Does your little one have any white spots in her mouth? Not necessarily her tongue as that could be milk residue but at the sides of her mouth.

Perhaps go to the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist.. He or she should be able to take a look at your little ones mouth and diagnose according to the symptoms you describe. I think daktarin powder on your nipple helps but you have to treat your little one too. Udos super 8 oil is supposed to be brilliant for fighting thrush and it's generally recommended to avoid yeast, dairy and sugar in your diet while you have it.

Sorry, that's the first thing I thought when you said about the burning sensation in your nipple especially when feeding.

I was thinking thrush too, and Daktarin gel would be the go too remedy. You'll need to treat your nipple and the baby's mouth. Could you try pumping on the sore side to keep up supply until it clears? I'd also try to expose the nipple to the air as much as possible, leaking milk soaking into your bra and the area being kept moist won't help matters.

I checked her mouth there and no spots. Are there any other signs?

My nipple looks fine - exactly like the other one. No cracks or flakes or anything.

If it is thrush would it be possible that just one nipple would be affected?

Thanks again

I just pm'd you.

Has this just come out of the blue? We're you on antibiotics recently?

Grapefruit seed extract is supposed to be fantastic as a probiotic. I used a gse and garlic probiotic when I was on antibiotics for mastitis. You can get it in drops from a health food store but the Udos super 8 (nb make sure it's been stored in the fridge) is also highly recommended.

If its thrush you need to be so careful with hand hygiene when changing nappies and you have to boil your bras, muslin cloths etc initially to kill the thrush on them.

I'd go to the pharmacist as the first step and speak to him/her.

I've no advice but wanted to say ouch, that sounds horrible! Really hope it clears up soon. Do you have any other marks on your breast? Like streaks or anything?

Seriously considering trying J in his own room after the advice here! I'm thinking we might be too quick to get him up when he stirs. He doesn't actually cry much, more grizzles. Hubby isn't as keen as me but was saying maybe we could try at 12 weeks (he's 10 weeks now). He definitely sleeps a lot better in the evening when he's asleep in the bedroom and we're in the sitting room with the baby monitor on. We're in an apartment so he wouldn't be far from us at all. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I had thrush one my boobs ( was only obvious on one) but had burning pain when feeding - v sore - I was pumping and even that was agony - I actually tried the daktarin oral gel and I think if I had started earlier that would have helped - you put it on your nipples and also in the babies mouth, have to treat both of u. My baby just had a slightly white tongue but it was predominantly in me - I ended up with an infection of my ducts as I didn't look after it and needed a two week course of antifungal capsules from doctor. With a antifungal and steroid cream! Def use the daktarin and talk to your pharmacist - if no improvement or gets worse within day or two go to doctor for something stronger!!

I always tell everyone I had zero issues whilst breaSt feeding - and then i think oh yeah I had this or that - its like I just block out that stuff! Haha! Nature - very devious!!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I've no advice but wanted to say ouch, that sounds horrible! Really hope it clears up soon. Do you have any other marks on your breast? Like streaks or anything?

Seriously considering trying J in his own room after the advice here! I'm thinking we might be too quick to get him up when he stirs. He doesn't actually cry much, more grizzles. Hubby isn't as keen as me but was saying maybe we could try at 12 weeks (he's 10 weeks now). He definitely sleeps a lot better in the evening when he's asleep in the bedroom and we're in the sitting room with the baby monitor on. We're in an apartment so he wouldn't be far from us at all. Hmm...

We'll be the same soon murdy as she is really struggling to fit in he Moses basket - next growth spurt and she'll have to move - I'm so lazy I don't want to have to get out of bed to get her tho for a night feed... Booo to Moses baskets - wish we had gotten a crib! I won't be Allowed spend any more money tho!!!! I have a baby stuff shopping addiction...

dublinlady wrote: »
    We'll be the same soon murdy as she is really struggling to fit in he Moses basket - next growth spurt and she'll have to move - I'm so lazy I don't want to have to get out of bed to get her tho for a night feed... Booo to Moses baskets - wish we had gotten a crib! I won't be Allowed spend any more money tho!!!! I have a baby stuff shopping addiction...

I love buying baby stuff too. Ridiculous some of the stuff we bought! We have an uppababy vista travel system and the carrycot part can be used as a moses basket, it's safe for the baby to sleep in all night. You can buy a wooden stand that the carrycot clips into to make it a moses basket. When J was 2 weeks old I decided we HAD to have this stupid stand. It was 125EUR. We've used it once. Ridiculous!

Thing is, we did buy a crib, that's what we have in our bedroom so there's room in it for him to be in the bedroom with us for months if we wanted. In a way if we did only have the moses basket it would kind of help make the decision for us! I'm also feeling lazy about it, having to go to the other room to get him for feeds etc would be a pain, even though we take him in there at night to change him anyway. Decisions, decisions :)

I did get my crib on adverts for about 50EUR - so maybe you could get one second hand instead. I did have to buy a new mattress for 20EUR as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gravid

Wow, breast feeding flash mobs in China! could be worth a go in Ireland too! :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/9595603/Breastfeeding-flashmobs-Chinese-mothers-are-abandoning-formula.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

lang wrote: »
    We've been pretty much doing the above since day one. My wife hasn't had to lift a finger (nor would I expect her too) since both came home last week. Lots of skin-to-skin going on between both and baby is feeding on demand. My wife is very clear that breastfeeding is the way to go for us and I'm supporting her as best I can. It's just good to hear that other people have gone through the same thing. It definitely gives me the confidence to continue to support my wife in what she is going through. As I said, her spirits are very high, she's just knackered.

The last few mornings I've taken baby downstairs and we have a cuddle and a sleep until about 7/8am ish to allow my wife get a few good solid hours sleep in a row. It's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Luckily, we also have the support of an Independent Community Midwife who we can call upon for support when needed. Baby, Mother (and Father ;)) are doing good.

More mums need partners like you. Fair play to you. I can't say enough about supportive dads, it makes the early days so much easier to have someone like you! Well done :)

Is it normal for feeding every 2 hrs or more at 15 weeks? She's 15 weeks on tue ( I was 2 weeks over due) I'm finding it very difficult to feed her right now. She is snacking all the time and won't settle without a feed. It's leaving me feeling overwhelmed and stressed. My 18 month old is teething badly too and because of the constant feeding I'm exhausted and just snappy. It's not like me . Think hormones might be in play too . She woke at 10, 1, 4, and 7 lastnight for feeds. And so far every hr or 2 today. I can't even get her down to nap. It's extremely difficult with my 18 month to care for too. Is it normal At this age? Thought after 3 months got easier :(
    She ebf at the mo

It could be a growth spurt, there's one around then I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Sounds like the Wonder Week we've been experiencing for the last 4weeks Dublinlady. Little fella has been very fussy and waking up lots at night. Totally exhausting :-(

Good news is that he's starting to come out of it now *crosses fingers*.

I feel your pain...i'm back in bed clutching my last nerve while my husband is trying to get him to nap!

Yep we've been going through that too. She wakes every 2hrs for a feed and it's 2hrs during the day aswell unless she's asleep. I empathize with you DL as its very hard for me when I've got my son too.

Last night she slept 7-12.30 and woke again at 3.30 but that's the first time we've had two good stretches in a row. She woke up this morning and for the first time she was happy to chat away to herself.

This wonder week is a biggie and I remember my son going through it. Night waking and frequent feeding are the first signs of it.

I've been feeling very tired lately which is bad timing but I'm guessing the hormone levels drop dramatically after 3 months.

We had a very bad phase of teething around 18 months. Our son was like a bag of weasels and honestly the only thing that worked on the bad days was calpol. He was just in constant pain so he even woke up grumpy.

Our fella had a big tantrum this morning and scratched the chest off me. The joys of parenting :S

Btw could your husband take A off for a few hours and you two get into bed and snuggle? I find on the bad days if we both get into bed and I give her a little feed she will nod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I didn't know hormone levels drop after 3months...that would also explain my exhaustion and generally feeling a bit low.

I don't know that they actuallyo do but I'm guessing as I've been up and down mood wise and feeling totally wiped some days recently. I think my saving grace is that I've been taking a multivitamin since A was born. I remember feeling like this on my son too.

He's working 9-9 the last few days :( he'll be off on tue. I hope its hormones - I feel crappy. Really not myself. I was normal up til yesterday - woke cranky & tearful with a very short fuse! Why do teeth have to appear now :(

• Advertisement

It literally hit me overnight too. One day I was feeling fine and managing everything really well and the next I was on constantly the verge of tears. It seems to have eased a bit but A sleeping better definitely helps.

Advertisement